Trip to Romania

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Trip to Romania

Post by Eugen »

We arrived well after a tiring fight with one stop in Munich. After that it's been quite busy, at the moment visiting my inlaws. The country has very diverse styles of building houses, yet one thing is never the case: houses made of wood like we have in Canada and the US. My inlaws' house is made literally of clay, with walls almost 2 feet thick. Dates from 1870 or so. In this village the style is to have no space between the house and the sidewalk. You open the window and reach out, you can touch a passersby.
IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_1011.jpeg

Most other houses are made of insulating brick, you know the brick with tunnels inside. Then there's a net fixated on the outside and finer cement layed out on top. That's just the tradition.

As you enter the gate usually you find a place for spending time outside , like a bench and table on concrete slab.
IMG_1012.jpeg
Then behind a fence, it's rare not to see a veggie garden all the way back.

My inlaws are in their 70s so they don't put a lot of work in the garden, yet there are all kind of fruits and vegetables.
IMG_1002.jpeg
IMG_0989.jpeg
IMG_0987.jpeg
IMG_0988.jpeg
IMG_0990.jpeg
IMG_1003.jpeg
They got prunes, grapes, quince, apples, peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, and others. They also have chickens. Sometimes they grow a pig.
IMG_0992.jpeg

This is a typical household here. As I said before, minimal lawn anywhere.

We're going to another region about 70 miles away from here, in a hilly region. Things are different there. I'll post pictures.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Trip to Romania

Post by RoamingGnome »

@Eugen - Thanks for sharing your photos, So interesting to see how people live in other parts of the world... :cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Forgot to say, this is a modest income household. People better off have much bigger and newer houses, more modern,, and more land. Like everywhere I suppose.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:46 am Forgot to say, this is a modest income household. People better off have much bigger and newer houses, more modern,, and more land. Like everywhere I suppose.
Glad you got there ok . Don't envy the flight though .

I wish my garden was as nice as theirs. I would be quite happy in a place like that . Simpler lifestyle .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Eugen Looks like a good trip! Kudos to your in-laws, they seem to have really done a fine job keeping a 150 year old house in nice condition. Like you said people that are better off have newer shiny things, but, as we all know from our old tractor work there is a sense of satisfaction and pride in keeping the older things going, including houses and property! I’m really envious of their grape vines! Ive all but given up on mine. I really enjoy seeing the sites. Looking forward to seeing the hill country!
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Thanks for sharing Eugen. It's always interesting to see life in other countries. My dad's dad was born somewhere in Romania and I'd like to visit the country some day. Your photos will suffice for now!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Sorry guys, I've been MIA travelling. We went to visit a rural property, in a small village among hills. Those hills go on for miles and then mountains. There people live a simpler life. Few tractors around, they raise a few animals and grow veggies and some corn. Some work in the nearest city, one or two hours away. It's hard to describe it all. Yet the village we visited had fiber optic internet connections. Here are a few pics. It needs a lot of work. I realize it's really nothing special, just a rural area in a small and unimportant country in Eastern Europe.
The main house is in the middle. The little building on the left is a summer kitchen. The one on the right was a car shelter and cow shelter.
The main house is in the middle. The little building on the left is a summer kitchen. The one on the right was a car shelter and cow shelter.
IMG_1051.jpeg
About 2.5 acres of flat land at the back, along a creek to the left, and woods on the rear right.
About 2.5 acres of flat land at the back, along a creek to the left, and woods on the rear right.
IMG_1056.jpeg
House from the back. Brick construction on stone and cement foundation. Ceramic tiles roof.
House from the back. Brick construction on stone and cement foundation. Ceramic tiles roof.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

This is a house which needs complete renovation.

A view from the back of the property.

I must say, the simpler life there, closer to the land, is very appealing to me.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Great Video clips ! :cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

We don't even have fibre optic at our place . I guy like you could work from home in a place like that . And every village in every country is important to someone .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder