Our local tractor show.

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Our local tractor show.

Post by JSinMO »

This weekend is our annual tractor show. So we spent the afternoon and evening at the show. I wanted share some of the sight’s with you all, we had a great time!
A nice example of an early wooden Mcormick Deering thresher.
A nice example of an early wooden Mcormick Deering thresher.
A couple of steam engines
A couple of steam engines
IMG_4076.jpeg
Here a shot of the “hi tech” chain steering!<br />That little hint of orange on the left is the fire burning in the firebox
Here a shot of the “hi tech” chain steering!
That little hint of orange on the left is the fire burning in the firebox
IMG_4092.jpeg
There were rows of tractors with good examples of many makes and models.
There were rows of tractors with good examples of many makes and models.
The garden tractor area was awful thin this year.
The garden tractor area was awful thin this year.
But there were a few interesting one to look at.
But there were a few interesting one to look at.
Here’s a nice A-C on duals with a trailer Noel needs for his Massey!
Here’s a nice A-C on duals with a trailer Noel needs for his Massey!
There wasn’t a single Case GT around im not sure why. I guess at some point I’ll have to change that!
A real Frankentractor!
A real Frankentractor!
I would have liked to back my truck up to this trailer full of nice Ferguson improvements!
I would have liked to back my truck up to this trailer full of nice Ferguson improvements!
IMG_4083.jpeg
IMG_4080.jpeg
We ended the evening watching the pulls. They have a really nice track, and there were some really slick tractors.
IMG_4098.png
IMG_4099.png
We got a gully washer at home, but lucky the rain held off for the show!
Eugen Canada

Re: Our local tractor show.

Post by Eugen »

Great show Jeff, thanks for sharing! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@JSinMO looks like it was a good day for a tractor show! Thanks for the photos Jeff - :thumbsup:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

'Looks like a great time, Jeff.

And you're right: Apparently, at least in your region, the Case/Ingersoll tractor show torch has been passed to YOU.

(And you're off to a slow start...) :cool:

Seriously, thanks for the pics. Those old steam tractors both amaze and terrify me. A LOT of power in that ancient boiler. Usually for good, occasionally... less than good.

But thanks for taking us on the journey with you!

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Great pictures Jeff. Yes I could use one of those Massey Ferguson trailers. A fella about two kilometres Dow the road from me has one and won’t sell it. :45:
And I could use that trailer full of Ferguson tractor attachments too.
Thanks for taking the time to take and post pictures. :thumbsup:

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

thebuildist wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:35 am 'Looks like a great time, Jeff.

And you're right: Apparently, at least in your region, the Case/Ingersoll tractor show torch has been passed to YOU.

(And you're off to a slow start...) :cool:

Seriously, thanks for the pics. Those old steam tractors both amaze and terrify me. A LOT of power in that ancient boiler. Usually for good, occasionally... less than good.

But thanks for taking us on the journey with you!

Bob
Dang Bob I’m going as fast as I can! :D

I agree with what you’re saying about the old steam powered stuff. I love being around them. Watching them work at night just impresses me to no end.
IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3002.jpeg
But they are over 100 years old and like you said there is tremendous explosive potential if something were to go wrong. These engines are still in use at shows all over the country. It makes me wonder if there is any type of boiler inspection required to operate? I did talk to a fellow down in St. Louis at the museum of transportation several years ago. He told me their insurance carrier would not cover them if they wanted to run their steam locomotives as they are too dangerous. The only trouble with one that I ever heard of was a long time ago. They we’re driving the tractor across a creek bottom with not enough water in the boiler. At a steep angle there wasn’t enough water around the firebox. It over heated and couldn’t release the pressure fast enough and blew up.
So yes there is certainly danger. On the positive side I have to say any time ive been around these old beasts they have always been manned and tended to by people that are quite committed to taking care of them.

Holy smoke stack, there’s a steam power ramble for ya!
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Typically what happens with a steam locomotive boiler explosion is the crown sheet over the firebox has insufficient water coverage and overheats. As the crown sheet overheats, it becomes weaker and cannot hold back the pressure of the boiler. The crown sheet caves into the firebox and ruptures. The hot water in the boiler is then released where it expands about 1000 times into steam. Quite often the boiler explodes and or is launched a good distance away from the frame.

Going down an incline as @JSinMO explained would expose the crown sheet. If you google steam locomotive boiler explosion and click on images you can see the aftermath.

Good pictures BTW.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Nasty if one blew up. I’ve wondered how they do the spark show. Im guessing they have the air wide open or the door open in the fire box and with a hot coal fire throw in som spruce or pine wood. ? Any body know how it’s done ?
Spark ramble :D

Noel
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

propane1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:01 am Nasty if one blew up. I’ve wondered how they do the spark show. Im guessing they have the air wide open or the door open in the fire box and with a hot coal fire throw in som spruce or pine wood. ? Any body know how it’s done ?
Spark ramble :D

Noel
It's typically small still burning pieces of coal or wood being sucked out of the firebox through the fire tubes from the draft created by the steam exhausting the cylinders and up the exhaust stack. AFAIK most steam locomotives have a screen in the smoke box to help catch the cinders. If you google "sandaoling steam locomotive sparks" you can find some decent pictures and videos.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I’ve looked up both of your suggestions MattA. Jumpins I would not want to be around one of those kabooms.

Noel