Raven's Roost

Shoot the breeze here.
Chad Canada

Re: Raven's Roost

Post by Chad »

Coming along nicely! And like others have said beautiful scenery and temps make tackling this work more appealing. Looking forward to when the bunkie is there!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Big projects come from big dreamers. If you want to get something done ask a busy person. Your both a dreamer and a busy person. Your on the way to greatness. Don’t look back your going to succeed. :highfive: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Looks like a nice spot for your cabin. I’m looking forward to the build. It kinda reminds me of the Sears homes you could order. Pick the one you want and they would freight it to you pre cut ready to build!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Shallow roots is common up north , especially with ever greens . There are many broad leaf trees up there that grow fast and fall down faster with out notice , ei white birch ((paper birch) . Having the trees cut back or topped of so that no tree is able to hit buildings when not if it comes down . It is the way of the woods up there . Be wary of widow makers when walking the woods as well , especially in the spring . Beautiful spot , living in harmony with nature comes from understanding it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Looks like a great spot to retire.
My place is also all rocks, with a thin skin of dirt all through the woods. When we've seen blowdown, it's always amazing to see just how wide the root base is, and how many of those rocks it has wrapped up. The trees are pretty much sitting there like potted plants. The oaks are a different story of course.

I'm curious how heavy is the ramp on your shed? Obviously it's working, but just from the photo, it looks like it'd be a bear to handle.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Thanks for the comments everyone! :wave2: Now that the weather is feeling more like winter I'm sure I'll have a bit of time available to share some of the adventures we've had while trying to build our "dream" retirement home up north.

@JSinMO the Bunkie https://bunkielife.com/is sold as a kit with everything included except for the base/foundation and the roof covering (we are going to go steel roof) The walls are pre-cut and notched and go together like a Lincoln Log kit for grownups... Or that's the plan anyway... :hm:

@Toolslinger the ramp for the chipper shed looks sturdy in the photos but it's actually made from PT fence boards with just enough reinforcing that it won't snap under my weight. It's a little heavy to close, but no worse than trying to stand a sheet of 3/4" plywood on edge. I'm quite pleased with how it has worked out, It's been through 2 winters and doesn't look any worse for the wear. It's a little less cluttered now as I've moved the chainsaw and weed whacker to the "garage" shipping container
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)