Case 224 is on the trailer.

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Re: Case 224 is on the trailer.

Post by propane1 »

So today I’m changing the hydraulic oil, ( motor oil ) out of the hydraulic system after running the Case 224 on my old wood splitter that had a little hydraulic oil in it.
Now, I’ve been gunna change this fluid in the tractor for almost a year and a half. Once I got the tractor, with a very bad chewed up pump, and I replaced the pump, I knew I should change the oil again to help flush out more dirt from the mess of the old pump. Never did it. Tractor has been working good and I’m the type if it’s working, why fry and fix it. :7: So, knowing I want to try and hook to this old splitter, and knowing I should change the oil after that, I waited, till I hooked the splitter up. So today was the day, will finish it tomorrow.
So I’m sure there is a correct way to change this oil. And I’m figuring the deck would have to come off. But, I’m again the type to try to do things the easiest way to minimize creating more problems. This is how I drained the oil. May not get it all, but the most of it will be changed. I figured if I loosened the lowest line on the hydraulic motor it should drain there. So I did that and it was draining. Slowly. Then I figured, I’d use my manual transfer pump, home hardware special, and drain as much as I could out of the oil holding tank. That went well. So I have about 3.5 litres out of it now and the line on the hydraulic motor is still draining. I will leave it over nite. I also retracted the lift cylinder. Before draining. And I loosened the two lines on the rear pto so it will drain. Those lines are low at the bottom, so I won’t get all of the oil out of those lines.
So hopefully it will still work when I put the 15w-40 back in. Another change like that in the future will take care of any hydraulic oil in the system from the splitter.

Jumpins. Quite a ramble.

Noel :giggle: :giggle:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Noel my 4016 has a plug in the travel control valve for changing the oil that can be removed with an Allen wrench.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

MattA wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:31 pm Noel my 4016 has a plug in the travel control valve for changing the oil that can be removed with an Allen wrench.
I’m sure this one does too, but would have to get the deck off Matt. And I believe I’ve tried to get those plugs out on both Case tractors I have and they would not move.
Even if the plug did come out on the Case224, those pto lines are lower than that plug point. So the oil would never come out of those two lines. Only way to get the oil out of those lines would be to take them off and drain them. Which I might do later today.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

One way to get most of it out is to undo the return hose that goes to the radiator and crank the engine a little. But you'll be fine with what you did.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

So. So far the oil change went good. Got out about 4 litres out and put 4 litres back in. No leaks yet. Amazing. And so far it moves and I cut the grass at home with it. Hot today. Oil for drive system got up to 140 F.
Taking it to my sons place tomorrow. So it might cut grass and or split wood.
Will see what happens. Lots to do.

Noel