Belt adjustment info please.

Shoot the breeze here.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Belt adjustment info please.

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:16 pm Noel, thanks for posting the question and David thanks for the answer. 1/8” between the coils, that’s tight. I never knew how tight to make that. :peace: Harry
Yes it would seam that way , but it is relative to the spring being used. If the wrong (different tension)spring is used it will ether not be tight enough or break belts.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

It also implies everything else must be to spec, no bent pulleys, correct size belt, etc. :114:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

:giggle: :giggle: I guess I should not of adjusted it. :giggle: But the coils never even opened on the spring. But I could tell it was tighter and that the belt was loose before.
Any way, what length of belt do I need. Motor to deck.

Can’t really say much. This belt was what was on it 2 years ago when I got the tractor, after it sat outside for 5 years not running. And who knows how old it is before that.

That changes my plans for tomorrow, for sure.

Noel :D
Attachments
948E0145-147E-4C52-ACDA-2ADC4897D3C1.jpeg
896B9629-0844-48DC-8736-1AB71AA38CC9.jpeg
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Its possible to wear the belt down enough that the belt bottoms out in the pulley V groove and the belt no longer makes good contact with the sides of the V groove pulley.

The forum should also have a pdf chart with belt sizes.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

MattA wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:43 pm Its possible to wear the belt down enough that the belt bottoms out in the pulley V groove and the belt no longer makes good contact with the sides of the V groove pulley.

The forum should also have a pdf chart with belt sizes.
Yes I would say you are correct on the wear on the belt, and it touching the bottom of the pulley. Which would cause slippage Matt.

I could find the length some where, and of course I know I’ve seen it before, my trouble is remembering how and where to find it.

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Noel, we have the manual showing belt sizes for all tractors here:

https://manuals.ccigt.com/FAQ/Case%20&% ... marked.pdf

I believe others have said that the original Case belt is a little thicker than 1/2 inch and you can get that only from Case vendors. So a thicker belt and all other things being equal will be tensioned differently. My experience with these tractors is that most previous owners have changed at least one thing, and that makes you scratch your head when you do things by the book and they don't work, like you tensioned the belt but the spring coils don't look like 1/8 distance between them. You may not have even the original spring. In such cases what I'd do is measure the belt that was there and then buy a belt shorter by a few inches. The alternative is to bring the whole thing back to factory spec, but that's not as easy.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:07 am Noel, we have the manual showing belt sizes for all tractors here:

https://manuals.ccigt.com/FAQ/Case%20&% ... marked.pdf

I believe others have said that the original Case belt is a little thicker than 1/2 inch and you can get that only from Case vendors. So a thicker belt and all other things being equal will be tensioned differently. My experience with these tractors is that most previous owners have changed at least one thing, and that makes you scratch your head when you do things by the book and they don't work, like you tensioned the belt but the spring coils don't look like 1/8 distance between them. You may not have even the original spring. In such cases what I'd do is measure the belt that was there and then buy a belt shorter by a few inches. The alternative is to bring the whole thing back to factory spec, but that's not as easy.
Thanks Eugen. And you are correct. I tend to look at all avenues when searching something, but some times that gets me in trouble. One length chart I looked at the length was 65.20” another was 66.40”. And my tractor has an electric pto, not manual. So hard to say if engine pto pulley is the same size as factory. Or any of the pulleys for that matter. Any way I measured the old belt and got a measurement of 70”. Soooo, off to princess auto and got a 69” and a 70”. I think either will work. Lots of adjustment on the crank at the front for tightness of the belt. So I’ll see what fits best.

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I don't know if it helps you at all, but the way I adjusted mine when cutting was by feel. From very loose, I tightened a little more and ran the engine at RPM on the higher side, and looked that the belt didn't flop around, and tightened it until that seemed ok. Then I cut some grass and if it cuts fine I just leave it. I don't think this is one of those things that needs very precise settings, but I'm sure that some people like to be super precise in everything and they're standards are higher. I don't have enough energy to do that, so many times I do it by trial and error. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

So. The 69” belt would not go on. The 70” did, but snug. Which is good. I’ll have lots of adjustment. I do the feel the belt method to Eugen. With this one adjust to where I thought was good the coils on the spring are not apart any. No slipping when I turn the electric pto on and no slipping while cutting the grass. All grass at home cut. So for now, all is good.

Noel
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Noel is the electric clutch from a Case GT or another brand? I transplanted an electric cluth off a JD on my 446 snowblower GT. I figured the pulley on the clutch was for a 1/2” belt and the Case snow caster 9/16”. I used a 9/16” belt and the pulleys were about the same diameter. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226