Another auction, sorry no garden tractors this time

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Another auction, sorry no garden tractors this time

Post by JSinMO »

Well somebody screwed up and left the checkbook on the counter, so naturally I grabbed it and went to the auction! :shh: :65: :D

I’ve been using a pull type brush cutter for a number of years now and it works but it’s kind of a pain in tight places. Well I found the answer.
IMG_3738.jpeg
IMG_3740.jpeg
This older but solid 3point model should be just the ticket!
It went dirt cheap and i jumped on it. If it works as good as I think it will be a welcome addition for sure.
Here more proof that you don’t always need to spend a lot to get what you need!
Last edited by JSinMO on Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
propane1 Canada

Re: Another auction, sorry no garden tractors this time

Post by propane1 »

Are ya in trouble yet. :giggle: Ya, that sure is a good attachment. A little fix up and away you go. Hopefully the gearbox is good.
The three point 6’ finish mower I have is a great thing. Once you get use to where it goes as you turn, it does a great job.

Noel

Post by JSinMO »

propane1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:26 pm Are ya in trouble yet. :giggle: Ya, that sure is a good attachment. A little fix up and away you go. Hopefully the gearbox is good.
The three point 6’ finish mower I have is a great thing. Once you get use to where it goes as you turn, it does a great job.

Noel
I got lucky Noel, I was expecting :fight: but got not so much as a foul word! :thumbsup:

I told the truth and said it was a safer mower for backing up and getting into corners.
I went over it this afternoon and other than a couple of rust holes I’ll have to patch at some point I think it’s good to go.
There was also a John Deere 3 point finish mower that went for under $100. I probably should have went for it also but oh well. There was a fellow bidding on it that I have a history with. We bid against each other one time. He won the bid but we started talking afterward. Now when we see each other at a sale we find out what the other guy is really after and don’t bid against each other. Since we like the same things we figured there’s no reason to run the bid up on each other.
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:07 pm
propane1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:26 pm Are ya in trouble yet. :giggle: Ya, that sure is a good attachment. A little fix up and away you go. Hopefully the gearbox is good.

Noel
I got lucky Noel, I was expecting :fight: but got not so much as a foul word! :thumbsup:

I told the truth and said it was a safer mower for backing up and getting into corners.
I went over it this afternoon and other than a couple of rust holes I’ll have to patch at some point I think it’s good to go.
There was also a John Deere 3 point finish mower that went for under $100. I probably should have went for it also but oh well. There was a fellow bidding on it that I have a history with. We bid against each other one time. He won the bid but we started talking afterward. Now when we see each other at a sale we find out what the other guy is really after and don’t bid against each other. Since we like the same things we figured there’s no reason to run the bid up on each other.
Sounds like a good auction for buyers. You can get some good deals when things aren't being bid up. :thumbsup: Nice buy and not having to live in the shed, sounds like a good day. :cheers:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Nice story about the guy who once bid against you and great solid find there! I should start locking for auctions. :hm:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

Had to try it out today here’s a couple pictures.
IMG_3741.jpeg
IMG_3742.jpeg
I mowed my little test patch. Not bad at all! I think it does a pretty good job.
I still have to make some cylinder stops so it’s easier to set the mowing hight on the go.
@propane1 thank you for mentioning where the mower goes when you turn. :highfive: That put it on my mind to pay attention and it saved a couple of fence posts for sure! :worship:

@Eugen I really like going to auctions and you can get some great deals, but you have to be careful there’s a lot of not so trustworthy auction companies out there. I pretty much follow one outfit now because I know I can trust them and they’ll help any way they can. They have been in business over 50 years and are local, so everyone knows where they live! :giggle:
It also helps to do your research on what you’re looking for and know what you’re willing to pay!
If the bid go over your number you have to be willing to walk away!
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I've got a love/hate relationship with brush hogs... It's real hard to argue with their effectiveness, simple maintenance, and low price. I really don't like their ability, and tendency to throw objects. While I have serviced, and repaired the brush hog, it's been parked since I got the flail going.
I'd suggest buying, or making a chain guard for the front to protect you. You seem to have a pretty high station on your tractor, so it might not be as critical, but I've been hit WAY too many times with things coming at me on an 8N. Chains on the back would be nice to protect things other than you... (I don't have a rear guard, but I probably should.)
As for height control, I have chains that control the max drop for the 3 point that work pretty nice, and are easily adjustable. Lift height is a wing nut and stop on the 3 point sector... Haven't used it with a hydraulic top link yet, but that is a plan at some point on the MF 135. Thinking I can tilt it up, and back in to some real heavy rhododendron that keeps closing in on my roads through the woods.

Nice buy for sure. Looks to be doing a nice job.