Does anyone ever..

Shoot the breeze here.
ras101 United States of America

Does anyone ever..

Post by ras101 »

Just been going through Ebay looking whats there (yeah my idle time). I am amazed, but not surprised i guess the number of post trying to sell even basic parts. I mean things such as used nuts, bolts, washers at premium prices. As a membership are we really buying this junk?
Last edited by ras101 on Sun May 14, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timj United States of America

Re: Does anyone ever..

Post by Timj »

I'm not, I buy needed new parts from our trusted dealers. I only use eBay for if you can't get around it and have to have it.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I buy sometimes used tools from eBay. But if I wanted to restore one of my tractors to as close as possible to original I would personally get parts from Bob @myerslawnandgarden.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

For me buying nuts, bolts, washers, pins etc. is a total no-no. Besides anything else I want new of these items and well prefer stainless anyway. But any wear item is a non starter. The amazing thing I see is the high prices charged as well. After all a trip to your local Big Box store will result in a new part at significantly less cost.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Well, for bolts, washers, and such things you guys in the :usa: have so many options of quality and acceptable price, coupled with low shipping, it's quite amazing.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by ras101 »

Hi Eugene, are you guys in Canada that far behind the big box store? At one point I thought Canada might be my home but now I am worried :)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

eBay isn’t really even on my radar anymore. Couldn’t tell you the last time I went there, much less bought anything. I’m not on face book but :wife: is. Depending on what I need I have her look on marketplace. For simple things it’s a trip to the hardware store. For other things I call our dealers.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:02 pm Hi Eugene, are you guys in Canada that far behind the big box store? At one point I thought Canada might be my home but now I am worried :)
Well, if you choose your home country by the availability, variety, and price of products, you probably don't want to move to Canada. The local Home Depot here does not have a lot of variety of machine bolts, and the ones they have are very very expensive, at least for me. Small stainless bolts are around a dollar a piece. Not made in Canada or the US, surely made in China. When I needed a whole bunch of stainless screws for the boat I was working on I just got a 200 piece box from amazon for around $24. Also made in China.

I've been using ebay since 1999 and found it very useful at times. Like anything, it's not for everything, but sometimes it's the solution I cannot find anywhere. You guys have craigslist as the major second hand market there in the USA. In Canada it never really caught up, seems to be mostly used for strange people and strange things. For a few years we had kijiji as the main second hand online market, but the marketplace on Facebook really killed it in the last two years or so. Right now the marketplace on Facebook is really the best option for buying and selling things locally.

To me these things are tools, they're as good or as bad as you use them. I've been on the internet from day one and my day job has been with computers for many years it's pretty easy for me to avoid the pitfalls. If you think that somehow you're protecting your privacy by not using these sites, let me tell you, the moment you use a cell phone that can do more than dial a number and talk you've given up a lot. Whatever that means... just wait 'til AI is starting to get loose on the internet. :hitsfan:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

The sheer number of adds and the total lack of privacy really pisses me off. Recently I'm searching for places to get a tire mounted on my phone and the youtube app on my tv which my 4 year old is watching stops to play a Firestone add. I fought back my installing a 3rd party youtube app without the adds... but that does nothing to protect my privacy. I'm running DNS66 on my android phone to block adds in apps as well. I never got around to rooting my phone... oh well... end rant.

Craigslist really lost a lot of share to Marketplace around here too. It's as difficult to find stuff on marketplace as it is on Amazon. At times the search function is useless. Maybe I'm a bit crabby today because I'm up an hour early for work 🤷‍♂️
Ingersoll 4016