Hydraulic pto question.

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Hydraulic pto question.

Post by propane1 »

So. This could end up being a Ramble. ! My Case 224 has the rear hydraulic pto option. The previous owner had rigged it up to run a cylinder to operate the 3 point hitch. The cylinder, lower arms and his pipe rigging are not original. I’m fairly sure.
So I want to rig up the pto to operate a wood splitter. Been on my mind files away at the back of the mind files section, since I got the tractor two years ago in August. So, just for entertainment I might try to rig it up to the old splitter.
The three point system I would say will never be used. Be cause it need the proper stuff to make it operate. So I want to get rid of the pipe rigging and install two hydraulic quick disconnects to the pto valve.
A little about the old homemade splitter. I did not make it. I bought it and I hooked it to my 1951 TEA20 Ferguson tractor. I rigged up the tractor with quick disconnects so I could plug in the splitter. It worked great. Would split mostly anything, but very slow operation back and forth. Used it for a number of years. Pump flow on the old Ferguson is only around 2 to 3 gph when it was new.
Thinking the Case has about the same pressure as the Ferguson but has 8 gph I was curious to see if it would work and be any faster.
Any way. My question is, once I get this hooked up, which way do you move the lever to operate the splitter. Or would it make any difference.
Pictures.

Noel
Attachments
This way
This way
Or this way
Or this way
1978F55C-4530-498B-8CE8-54668A584DB8.jpeg
01B475E1-BD49-4750-AF76-3CBA4A0CA485.jpeg
A212DCFD-8D8F-4CF5-9132-98EAFC33363D.jpeg
Timj United States of America

Re: Hydraulic pto question.

Post by Timj »

I take it that you have a control valve on your splitter.
The PTO valve should be able to be set in whichever position makes your splitter valve operate correctly. The old Case splitters used the PTO valve as the control for the splitter.
How big is the hydraulic cylinder on your splitter?

On a side note, we should take a closer look at that 3pt. Maybe it would be a good alternative to a sleeve hitch for your 446. :letmesee:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Timj wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:14 pm I take it that you have a control valve on your splitter.
The PTO valve should be able to be set in whichever position makes your splitter valve operate correctly. The old Case splitters used the PTO valve as the control for the splitter.
How big is the hydraulic cylinder on your splitter?

On a side note, we should take a closer look at that 3pt. Maybe it would be a good alternative to a sleeve hitch for your 446. :letmesee:
That’s a neat side note Tim.

I’ll see if I can find a picture of the old splitter. Have not used it in 5 years. Back then I bought a 5 ton electric splitter to speed up the splitting.

Noel
Attachments
539E2D39-ACE2-4C46-98C2-25564E6C8FB4.png
38C62C37-3511-4BD1-8B45-A252E6D58941.png
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

I agree with what TIm said :thumbsup:

One of my 224's came with a homemade splitter. The PO had a steel rod rigged up to the PTO valve for running the splitter, It worked but slowed things down as there is no detent to automatically stop the ram on the return stroke. So I mounted a proper splitter valve on the splitter.

Half throttle on the tractor was plenty fast enough for me, but maybe not for you ;)

:cheers:
Gordy
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Your on the right track Noel. :thumbsup: get the right fittings and hook it up. I think you should be fine. I know their was some tractors that had smaller hydraulic tanks so oil volume could be an issue on them with a large long stroke cylinder. :creeper:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Well I’ll see what happens. Just one of those things I’d like to to do , just for fun, as my father used to say. Hard to say when I’ll get at it.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Noel
What do you have for a hydraulic tank in the 224 ? Under battery metal /plastic or the tank over the cooler up front ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Metal tank up front by the cooler Dave.

Noel
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

:hm: Somewhere on something :hm: I recall seeing the radiator overflow tank idea employed to a hydraulic tank :hm: He drilled a large hole in the cap for the hydraulic tank, soldered/welded a length of 3/4" tube to the cap that was long enough to mount a hose on the top side and extended inside to what was the proper oil level. The hose from the top of the cap went to the bottom of a secondary oil tank. Would need a good seal when the cap is screwed on.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

propane1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:09 am Metal tank up front by the cooler Dave.

Noel
That is the largest tank I know of , so that is a good start . What you need to know is the length of stroke , diameter of bore and the diameter of the rod of the cylinder on the splitter . . The length width and height of the tank to figure out volumes. How much that is displaced by the rod is the amount of fluid not returning to the tank . As long as that is less than the volume 80% of the tank volume you are fine .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder