Page 1 of 1

Hurricane Fiona tree clean up started.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:26 pm
by propane1
Started the cut up, brush removal of the trees hurricane Fiona blew down last fall. Lots to do. Started on the big white birch tree. Once the birch is done, the rest is maple, and it’s smaller and lower to the ground. The maple is what I dragged in there last year after the storm. Last picture is the branch I’m gunna tackle tomorrow. Depending on weather.

Noel

Re: Hurricane Fiona tree clean up started.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:38 pm
by thebuildist
It's looking good. That's the way to tackle this stuff is one piece at a time. That maple seems like a shame. Around here it's hard to find in the wild. But it would probably be almost impossible to get it turned into lumber.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:08 pm
by Timj
Well you'll have some good firewood there Noel. Cleaning up storm damage trees isn't always easy, be safe. :thumbsup:
:geek: Tim

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:42 am
by propane1
Timj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:08 pm Well you'll have some good firewood there Noel. Cleaning up storm damage trees isn't always easy, be safe. :thumbsup:
:geek: Tim
One branch at a time Tim. And I’m doing my figuring as to how they are gunna fall. And I leave a few branches for support until I get the major branch’s down. Heavy tree. Don’t want that to fall on me.

Noel

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:38 am
by propane1
Back at it today with my helpers. Branch is down to where I can cut up stuff easily and safely.
Some pictures, and maybe more pictures later this afternoon.

Noel

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:52 am
by Eugen
That's a lot of work, but the wood will be good for heating next winter!

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:06 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:52 am That's a lot of work, but the wood will be good for heating next winter!
Yes Eugen. I’m guessing it could be almost a full cord out of that tree. Maybe.

Noel

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:06 pm
by propane1
Some more pictures. My hope is that I can save the apple tree that’s jammed under the birch. You can see the three trunks all together beside the birch trunk. And the two small maple on the other side of the birch are in the root ground that the birch tree took up when blew over. Would be nice to save those too. But I have my doubts on those. I am wondering it when I get most of the big birch trunk pieces off, will the root and base fall back in the hole. Maybe to late now for that to happen, after setting like that all winter.
Oh well. Will see what happens next week.

Noel

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:25 am
by JSinMO
I hope you can save the maples Noel. You never know, if they will flop back in the hole they may take off again. If not I suppose they can always be cut out later.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:13 pm
by propane1
Little more wood picked up today by me, son and grandson. Should be another load once I get the trunk cut up.

Noel

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:07 pm
by Harry
propane1 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:13 pm Little more wood picked up today by me, son and grandson. Should be another load once I get the trunk cut up.

Noel
I love the look of your Ford GT Noel. :worship: :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:23 pm
by propane1
Little more done today on the birch tree. It is slowly getting shorter. Just the big trunk to do now. Not sure how long it is. But it’s about 20” to 24” in diameter.

Noel

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:02 pm
by propane1
Son and grandson picked up the wood, this evening, I cut off the birch tree today. That’s a great help.

Noel

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:45 pm
by Timj
propane1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:02 pm Son and grandson picked up the wood, this evening, I cut off the birch tree today. That’s a great help.

Noel
I like the little car. :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:47 am
by propane1
It goes over some rough terrain Tim. Grandson not easy on it. I’m surprised it still works. Was 6 volt and single wheel rear drive. Hardly go any where with it. Son rigged it up to 18 volt batteries and made it positive traction. Both rear wheels driving. She goes now. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:03 pm
by propane1
Birch trunk all cut up today. And once I got the truck off noticed the maple trees started going back up. Root was almost up at 90 degrees, now after a few hours it back down to about 30 degrees. I doubt the maple trees will stand up straight, but as things settle more and they start to grow, they may not be to bad.
Trunk measured at 21”. Could not count the rings couldn’t see them. Tree was trying to supply water to its self. Was just a dripping at the last cut. Each round I figured about 175 lbs. Internet calculator. Just a guess.
Don’t know about the apple tree. It really didn’t move after I got the birch off it. Have to wait and see.
On to the rest next week. Smaller and lower to the ground thankfully.

Noel

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:28 pm
by Gordy
I have a few Boxelders like that to do. But started small with the lilacs and honeysuckles that busted off in the wet sticky snows, most of it went threw the chipper and got spread on the flower beds.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:19 pm
by propane1
There now. All cut up into bite size pieces. Hehe. Well at least now I should be able to pick them up. Maybe. Loose a lot of wood in sawdust.
Straps I put on the maple trees yesterday were loose a bit this morning. And have retightened them again. Apple tree strap not moving much.

Noel

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:18 pm
by Eugen
Lot of work there Noel! :thumbsup: Does your arm hurt from the chainsaw at all?

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:01 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:18 pm Lot of work there Noel! :thumbsup: Does your arm hurt from the chainsaw at all?
Every thing hurts Eugen. Hehe. Im not young like you. Hehe.
I’m gunna be sore tomorrow morning.
Apple tree tomorrow. 100 years old I figure or so, planted by grandfather I’m guessing. He built a house 102/103 years ago. Lot of apple pies off this tree over the years. Sad to see it go. Thanks hurricane Fiona. :cuss:

Noel

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:00 pm
by propane1
So the apple tree all cut up and a maple tree down the lane was cut up and dragged with the Ferguson tractor, up to the cut up Fiona wood station. Lots of wood in the maple. Brush all dragged into my brush fence line in the edge of my woods. Productive day. But I’m worn out.

Noel

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:10 pm
by JSinMO
Sounds like you need a day of rest Noel! You covered a lot of ground this week. I’m sorry that old apple tree had to go. Maybe you can start a new one close by.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 pm
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:10 pm Sounds like you need a day of rest Noel! You covered a lot of ground this week. I’m sorry that old apple tree had to go. Maybe you can start a new one close by.
A new apple tree is a great idea. Noel, one day your grandson will enjoy apples from that tree and read this story here on the internet (archive).

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:35 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:10 pm Sounds like you need a day of rest Noel! You covered a lot of ground this week. I’m sorry that old apple tree had to go. Maybe you can start a new one close by.
A new apple tree is a great idea. Noel, one day your grandson will enjoy apples from that tree and read this story here on the internet (archive).

Great idea guys. Will see what happens. Things will change a lot in the next 15 years.

Noel

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:52 am
by DavidBarkey
Noel , set aside a piece of that apple wood . Carve it into an apple and have the grandson paint it .

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:49 am
by Gordy
:hm: Just thinking if that was my apple tree with that history and good apples, I'd buy a couple apple trees for the root stock and give grafting a try, :please: Need to do it quick before the old trees branches have a chance to dry out. Give the old tree new life and keep the history going ;) I would need to revisit youtube for grafting videos thou.

And it looks like you won't run out of good grilling and smoking wood any time soon :thumbsup:

Gordy

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:14 pm
by propane1
No wood cuttin today. Relaxed. Son and I went for a drive in the morning to look at cars and tractors on the lots. Sadly not much to look at, don’t make things like they use to. Most of the tractor places are closed up. And cars all seem to look the same nowadays. Any way. Was good to get out for drive. Going to visit daughter and grandsons tomorrow. So may not be much wood cutting done. Will see.
Have a good upcoming week members.

Noel

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00 am
by Eugen
You have a good day sir, and a good ready of the week!

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:59 pm
by propane1
Still at the wood cut up and clean up. Got a little farther today. Still be another 2 weeks or so yet before the field is cleaned up. Then it’s into the woods and do the ones that look like they will fall.
My brush fence is coming along nicely.

Noel

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:56 pm
by propane1
Big day at the wood today. Had some help today with the wood. Sure goes faster with two people. Diesel, name of the tractor, helped too. Big load picked up mostly by my helper. And she unloaded it all, then brought a sandwich for me. Hope to do more tomorrow. Made greats gains today.

Noel

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:28 pm
by propane1
Well more done today, but no help today. So got a good size tree cut up. Still have to move the brush, but at least it in a pile. Sugar maple I believe it was, 44 years old. 13” X 10” at the base. Was hoping to get a bit mor done than that, but got worn out again.
Not gunna be to much tractor stuff for the next while, and hard to say if I get any gardens done. Will see.
Grass cuttin tractors have to get out soon. And grass cuttin will start soon after that.
A neat brush fence I saw on my way to my daughters today.

Noel

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:58 pm
by propane1
Not much done on the Fiona wood today. Got all the wood I cut from one tree yesterday into the trailer and unloaded it on to the pile of wood that has to be split. Son and I were out digging up spruce trees this morning. He put in a privacy type fence with the trees.
Lots to do.

Noel

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:17 am
by propane1
Son out getting more trees this morning. I was suppose to be there too. I’m going a little slower today than I thought I would be when I got up.

Noel

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:47 am
by Eugen
I see you got the Christmas tree early! :)

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:50 am
by propane1
More to come yet Eugen. The landowner said, that if you want a Xmas tree, just go out and saw one down. Nice of her.
Pictures of what son is trying to cover over. Was hay field less than two years ago. Was all my grand fathers land at one time.

Noel

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:18 am
by propane1
:giggle: Can you imagine how long it would take me to cut up the Fiona trees if I was using this.
Jumpins. I’d be years. :pullhair:

Noel :D

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:28 am
by Eugen
That is an interesting device, and it would save your arm for sure. Easier than holding a chainsaw and cutting. :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:37 am
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:28 am That is an interesting device, and it would save your arm for sure. Easier than holding a chainsaw and cutting. :thumbsup:
Your forgetting Eugen. You’ve got to move that saw around. And move logs on to it. :giggle:

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:44 am
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:37 am
Eugen wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:28 am That is an interesting device, and it would save your arm for sure. Easier than holding a chainsaw and cutting. :thumbsup:
Your forgetting Eugen. You’ve got to move that saw around. And move logs on to it. :giggle:

That's what the loader is for Noel!

But I know what you're saying, it's not easy any way you put it, it's hard physical work.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:19 pm
by Gordy
Two man job, but quicker cuts ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=v-8+cha ... 17ll043Ld8

Gordy

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:38 pm
by Harry
That’s one wild wicked chainsaw Gordy! :O :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:46 pm
by MattA
Gordy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:19 pm Two man job, but quicker cuts ;)

Gordy
Good entertainment Gordy :cheers:
Seems to be a lot more V8 chainsaws in recent years.

@propane1 maybe I missed this, what is the brush fence for?

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 pm
by JSinMO

I guess if there’s a plus side once you got it set up I bet you could relax and have a cup of coffee while it made the cut!

@Gordy Your video brought back an old memory. It got me thinking about an old 2 man chain saw that was always under the bench in the tool shed at home. It kinda looked like a 1950s David Bradley and it may have been. I think my dad and uncles used it to clear land back in the day. I just remember it sitting there forever, and nobody wanting to play with it!

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:47 pm
by Gordy
JSinMO wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 pm

I guess if there’s a plus side once you got it set up I bet you could relax and have a cup of coffee while it made the cut!

@Gordy Your video brought back an old memory. It got me thinking about an old 2 man chain saw that was always under the bench in the tool shed at home. It kinda looked like a 1950s David Bradley and it may have been. I think my dad and uncles used it to clear land back in the day. I just remember it sitting there forever, and nobody wanting to play with it!
I have seen those over the years at auctions, all with decades of dust on them ;) Always made me cringe thinking of being the guy holding onto the tip end of the bar :afraid:

image.png
Gordy

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:50 am
by propane1
MattA wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:46 pm
Gordy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:19 pm Two man job, but quicker cuts ;)

Gordy
Good entertainment Gordy :cheers:
Seems to be a lot more V8 chainsaws in recent years.

@propane1 maybe I missed this, what is the brush fence for?
Matt, I’m trying to show where my land ends and hopefully keep people out. I’m thinking they won’t want to work at climbing or moving the brush to get onto my land.

Noel

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:45 am
by Harry
Noel, at one time I planted some thorn apple trees on my small piece of land. They have long 2” to 3” thorns on them. Some grew some didn’t. I figured no one would try to walk through those thorns. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 11:09 am
by propane1
Harry wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:45 am Noel, at one time I planted some thorn apple trees on my small piece of land. They have long 2” to 3” thorns on them. Some grew some didn’t. I figured no one would try to walk through those thorns. :peace: Harry
Good idea Harry.

Noel

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 pm
by propane1
Weather so so yesterday, so went Fiona wood cutting. In the afternoon. Sunny but only 5C and north 50 k wind. Stayed for a bit and figured I would leave early, but stayed at it. Got a bunch done. Another two weeks yet. Depending on weather.

Son and I were out to get more spruce trees for his privacy fence. Dug up 14 today. And planted 14 today. I’m done in again. Grandson helped.

Got a tree for myself. The only good thing hurricane Fiona did, was blow down a snow ball tree in our front yard. I tried some what to kill it over the years. But :wife: liked it. I even cut it down to a foot off the ground once. Full of bugs as normal. Still grew back. Full of bugs. Awful tree to try and cut the grass around it. Branches were hard, bugs falling on ya, and the little flower things, like confeidy falling on ya, when past ripe. Jumpins. Terrible tree.

There now. A sorta ramble for today. Have a great one members.

Noel

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:20 pm
by Eugen
Those trees are really good looking!

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:12 pm
by JSinMO
You’re making great progress Noel! It’s really great the you guys have a place to get those spruce trees. They’re going to make a nice privacy fence.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:55 am
by RoamingGnome
Great photos Noel, loved the mini ramble about your snowball tree

- You should hear me whine and rant about the black walnut trees in our City backyard - they are huge trees - 100+ years old and always dropping something no matter the season, overhanging our house and - make a perfect path for the fluffy tailed rats (squirrels) to get in the roof and nest in the attic :cuss: I told :wife: we have lots of trees at our property up north - absolutely not going to have any black walnut trees anywhere near the house when its built :violin:

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:22 pm
by propane1
A little done today. But had to wait till afternoon. Was snowing this morning. :cuss: The cherry tree I cut up was rotted at the bottom, as normal in my woods. Ants get into them and that’s it. I must of lost 20 or 30 cherry trees over the years because of that. This one was fairly big for once. Normally once the get to 6 to 8 inches, the ants got them and they’re done. So I can’t really blame hurricane Fiona for blowing this one done. Put all the rounds from it, at the splitter I’m hoping to hook the Case 224 to see if splitter and tractor will work to split wood. Easy wood to split.

There now, a little wood ramble.

Noel

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:29 pm
by JSinMO
I’ve had a couple of trees here that were full of ants like that too. I cut one up in the winter, I guess they were in there hibernating because they all fell out!
Looking forward to seeing your 224 running that splitter!

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:19 am
by propane1
That a trouble with wood that has ants in it. As you take the cold wood in an it warms up, out come all the ants. In your garage, happened to me once, or in the house. Oh boy, :wife:’s don’t like that. Thankfully I don’t burn wood in the house.
And if I see any sign of ants the wood stays out.

Noel

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:13 pm
by propane1
Well more done on the wood today. Had a little bit of help. But I think I spent to much time at it. Some sore now. Back at it again tomorrow.

Cruise ship in port today. First one this year. They say going to be the biggest year yet for having them in port. 92 of them. From now till middle or so of October. Amazing that after Covid it would pick up like that again.

Noel

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:33 pm
by propane1
Well a little more done today. I’m sure you fellas are getting tired of my Fiona wood stories.
I had a little help again today. I’m getting there to the end. Any way. Had a bad sleep last nite to sore I guess. So didn’t do as much today, but I’m done in. I may or may not do any tomorrow.
Another cruise ship in today. Only a little fella. Could be someone’s personal yacht.

Noel

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:01 pm
by DavidBarkey
Don't over do it Noel . There is all summer to get it done . Don't learn the hard way like me .

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:32 pm
by propane1
Some wood cutting done today, but knocked off early to have dinner with a tractor buddie and have a look at his tractor he just bought.

Noel

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:22 pm
by DavidBarkey
Those old tractor are neat .

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:55 pm
by Eugen
I like that Oliver! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:59 pm
by JSinMO
Looks like he got a nice one! I would think the standard model is more rare than a row crop. And it’s got the all the engine tins, very nice!

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:26 pm
by propane1
More done in the last two days. Getting close to the end of cutting up. One big piece to do. May have to half or quarter some of the big stuff so I can move it. But still lots of brush and field clean up yet.
Couple of the start pictures too.

Noel

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:25 pm
by propane1
Ok, this will be the last post of the wood for a bit. I’m sure yous are getting tired of looking at it.
Any way, finished the cutting of the last piece today. Piled it on the cart and put it in the stack of wood.
Luggin and draggin will start tomorrow to get rid of the brush.
Figured up there is about 3.2 cords there. :phew: :phew: :35: :35: :yawn: :yawn:

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:41 pm
by Eugen
Noel, that's a lot of work for sure, but look at the bright side, it will keep you warm in the winter, and more importantly it gets you in shape for that cruise! :giggle:

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:02 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:41 pm Noel, that's a lot of work for sure, but look at the bright side, it will keep you warm in the winter, and more importantly it gets you in shape for that cruise! :giggle:
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . Get me in shape, :giggle: maybe, :106: to old to be in shape Eugen. :giggle:
And they would do me in, for sure. :drool: :drool:

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:10 pm
by MattA
Noel - I'm still amazed at the damage you got from the storm. That same storm passed 1-2 hours west if here on the way to PEI and we got no damage.

Maybe it's time to switch up the tractors :446cart:

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:02 am
by propane1
Matt, what I’ve cleaned up there is only about half of the damage. I’ve still got broken trees and up rooted ones still in the woods. That I never got to. Yet. And may never. And it’s not just me. It’s every where. Not a place you can drive that you don’t see a bunch of downed trees.
This picture is just up the road from my house. Don’t know where it’s coming from. Just started landing there in the last few days.

Noel

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:59 am
by RoamingGnome
That is a nice stack of firewood Noel,

It's amazing how brush and broken branches seem to multiply after a major storm - our drive to the property takes us along Hwy 7 past Actinolite Ontario, last summer they were hit with major damage from the Derecho and then a couple of months later a Tornado went through... It's heartbreaking to see all the damage to the trees, ones that weren't blown over completely were snapped off like matchsticks 10-20 feet off the ground.

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:38 am
by propane1
RoamingGnome wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:59 am That is a nice stack of firewood Noel,

It's amazing how brush and broken branches seem to multiply after a major storm - our drive to the property takes us along Hwy 7 past Actinolite Ontario, last summer they were hit with major damage from the Derecho and then a couple of months later a Tornado went through... It's heartbreaking to see all the damage to the trees, ones that weren't blown over completely were snapped off like matchsticks 10-20 feet off the ground.

Yes Gerry. Sad to see nice trees up rooted or broken off. Takes half or more of our life time to grow good trees. If I had time and energy I could get a bunch of that stuff across the road. But got enough things to do. Only 2 or 3 minutes away from my house by garden tractor.
And by the time I get back from that cruise with all those girls. The wood would be gone, if I got back. :giggle:

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:26 pm
by propane1
Great progress today in the hurricane Fiona tree clean up. Son and I used two tractors to haul the brush into the woods. Brush fence coming along nicely. Most of the field cleaned up. Still little bits and pieces of brush left. Next move is to go over the field with the 6’ rear discharge finish mower. That’ll chew up the left overs and be back to normal. What ever that is.

Noel

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:49 pm
by propane1
More done today. That’s about it for the field. Still brush to move at the end of the field, but it’s not in the way, so to speak. I’ll get to it soon.
So we hooked the 6’ rear discharge finish mower to the Ford 1210 compact tractor. 16 hp diesel. We wonder if it would run the finish mower. It worked great. Lots of power to do it. I’ll go over it a few times and the field will be good as new. :D

Noel

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:57 pm
by JSinMO
Lookin good Noel! It was a good thing your son snagged the Ford, it’s been a handy one to have around! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:50 am
by Harry
That is a cool looking tractor Noel. Thanks for posting all the pics. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:10 am
by propane1
Video of the Ford cutting. Hope this works. Can never remember how to post videos.

Noel :hm:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/001aD_k ... aMnR2z2gVQ

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:09 am
by RoamingGnome
Video works fine Noel! :thumbsup: Nice to see (and hear) the Ford in action - seems to be doing a great job with that big mower...

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:25 am
by Eugen
That tractor purrs so nice.. gotta love that diesel! Wow, nice! :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:05 pm
by propane1
Hauled a bit of brush in by hand today. Got rid of a small pile and some out of another. Still a bunch left. Brush fence is coming along. A tree down in my way go get to the fence line, so Im figuring to cut that up and put the brush right there. Only have to move it a few feet. Found more broken tree tops today in the woods. May try to get them down. The clearing on the right of the last picture is my sons land. It’s the entrance to the new path. Going back tomorrow to do some more in morning. Then it’s Mowing Tuesday at home in the afternoon. :D

Noel

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:56 am
by propane1
So todays episode of the Fiona wood is, hauling a broke top off a tree. It’s brush is about 8’ off the ground. So I got a rope around the small branch’s at the end. Didn’t think it would hold. Hooked up 100’ or so of straps to the Ford 1210 compact tractor. Started pulling, two wheel drive, low range, first gear, 1500 rpm, straps and rope tightened up and kept pulling, then spin, differential lock on went a little farther, and spin, put four wheel drive on, went a bout a foot and snap, down came the piece. So that’s great, I wanted to do some work on the brush fence there, and I would be right under that hanging top. So don’t have to worry about that falling on me tomorrow.

Noel

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:26 pm
by propane1
Little more done today. Back at it tomorrow for the morning. Have to help a tractor buddie in afternoon.

Cruise ship and two Canadian navel ships in today. Not sure what type of navel ships they are. Military Base HMCS Queen Charlotte, is here at Charlottetown port.

And I’ve never seen ducks around here ever before. But two ducks were having a rest in the yard.

Noel

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:05 pm
by Eugen
Careful Noel, that duck might jump in the oven next to those carrots and potatoes from the garden! :)

Nice ships!

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:31 pm
by propane1
:giggle: They might Eugen. But duck is a way to fatty, for my liking.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:30 pm
by propane1
Hehe, saw a wabbit at home today after being at the Fiona wood. Got a bit more done today. Mostly brush moved.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:33 am
by propane1
Back at the Fiona wood clean up today. Lost 7 days of work here because of the weather.
My goal was to have this and that and the other thing done by now. Still all kinds to do, that was my goal to have done, then start on cutting and splitting this winters wood for me, son and sister in law.
Free chainsaw is working great. Much better than the $850.00 Red Max saw I bought four or five weeks ago. :45: But because of my luck with chainsaws, I’m expecting the free one to act up. :106: But any ways it was free.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:57 am
by propane1
propane1 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:33 am Back at the Fiona wood clean up today. Lost 7 days of work here because of the weather.
My goal was to have this and that and the other thing done by now. Still all kinds to do, that was my goal to have done, then start on cutting and splitting this winters wood for me, son and sister in law.
Free chainsaw is working great. Much better than the $850.00 Red Max saw I bought four or five weeks ago. :45: But because of my luck with chainsaws, I’m expecting the free one to act up. :106: But any ways it was free.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:02 pm
by Eugen
That's sad, what's wrong with the red one you bought recently?

Nice though that the free one works well. I had two of those poulan pros, bought for $5 each at a garage sale, but they didn't work very well. I rarely cut any wood, but you really need a reliable saw Noel, you cut lots of wood.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:17 pm
by propane1
It bogs and quits. Leaks oil, and runs out of bar oil before gas, causing the chain to run with out oil.

The good things are. Starts good. And if yon can get the chain up to speed after the bog, if it doesn’t quit, it cuts good and has lots of power.

Just my luck with stuff.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:21 am
by Harry
propane1 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:17 pm It bogs and quits. Leaks oil, and runs out of bar oil before gas, causing the chain to run with out oil.

The good things are. Starts good. And if yon can get the chain up to speed after the bog, if it doesn’t quit, it cuts good and has lots of power.

Just my luck with stuff.

Noel
You made me feel better Noel. I thought I was the only one who had those problems. I had similar problems with Poulan. I always had good luck with McCullough saws. :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:52 pm
by propane1
Well the part of hurricane Fiona wood clean up, that I wanted to finish is done. 4 plus hours of dragging and lugging brush to the brush fence. But that doesn’t mean that it’s over, still broken branches and trees pulled out of the ground in the woods. And stumps to do. Any way, that’s alright for now. Onto cutting firewood next week, out of our piles of 8’ length logs.
I snuck up on the free chainsaw today, cause I needed to cut up a few small pieces, about 5 minutes running maybe , worked great. :D

Noel

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:49 am
by propane1
Son and I took a walk thru my woods looking for old trails we made years ago with the MF7 tractor and hauling the 10 cubic foot trailer to get blocked wood out. These trails would have been made 20 years ago. We had a lot of fun in the woods getting fire wood out. Can’t see any of the paths. But we could figure where some were. First time I was in this part of the woods since hurricane Fiona. Jumpins the mess. Stuff every where and large trees uprooted and leaning at 45 degree angles or more. Months of work in there. But not now. Son was kinda wanting to fix up the trails again. He and his son now like the other trails we have. So he’s interested in it again. Lots of wood to get if we ever get at it. Maybe this fall. Maybe.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:53 pm
by propane1
Soooo, hehe, some different wood for yas to look at. Got a little start today. Just to see if I need any thing. I put the 18” bar and chain on the p3314 poulan today. Saw worked good but the chain is no good. I did sharpen it the other day but it was in bad bad shape, and teeth worn out. So I need a chain, and make a couple of markers to attach to the saws to measure 16” and 12” long logs and a chain to sit in to rest back. I’ll get back at it tomorrow. Was a little warm at 25C today and tomorrow a little hotter. Then rain Wednesday and Thursday. Will see what happens. Brought the trailer home from sons place to make room
for cutting wood and that’s a step closer to getting the Case 224 on trailer and take it to Fiona wood land and hook it up to the old wood splitter and see if tractor runs splitter. But not sure when that will be. :D

Noel

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:09 am
by Eugen
Noel, I like seeing your battle against the fire wood of the world. :D All those different piles. :cheers:

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:01 pm
by propane1
You would think I’d have enough wood ahead to take a year off from cutting firewood. :giggle: But Noooooo, can never get ahead. :45: :hm: :106: :D :35: :((

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:41 pm
by propane1
Bit done today. Bought a new 18” chain for the Poulan P3314 saw. Working great.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:44 pm
by propane1
Bit more done today cutting wood. I can only cut so long then I have to stop. If I don’t stop, I may as well just check myself into the hospital, into the exhaustion room or loonie bin, :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Hospital is on route to home and is only five minutes away. :giggle: :giggle: :D

Cruise ship in today. Only a little fella.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:04 pm
by propane1
Well, I didn’t end up in the hospital or loonie bin yesterday, after cutting wood, so I got a bit more done. I fill the chainsaw with gas and oil and cut till it runs out of fuel. Got into the wood pile far enough yesterday that I could take out the runners, that’s what the logs sit on instead of the ground, and moved the two smaller runners , on the right side of the pile of logs. There was a truck cap sitting on them all winter. Cap is gone now. So now I can cut the grass there. Turned those four runners up Tao the rain can clean the dirt off them, then I can cut them up.
Cut some grass with the Ford 1210 and 6’ finish mower and levelled out the spot the stump grinder ground up the stump from the Locust tree that fell on sons house during hurricane Fiona. Used the 1951 TEA20 Ferguson tractor with 7’ rear blade to do the levelling. :D
Busy day.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:07 pm
by JSinMO
I appreciate the photos Noel. Looks like the finish mower does a nice job. I forgot, did that come with the tractor or did you already have it? Nice shot of the Ferguson too! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:31 am
by propane1
JSinMO wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:07 pm I appreciate the photos Noel. Looks like the finish mower does a nice job. I forgot, did that come with the tractor or did you already have it? Nice shot of the Ferguson too! :thumbsup:
A snowblower came with the Ford tractor Jeff. I bought the finish mower years ago to use on the Ferguson.
The finish mower does just a nice of job as my garden tractor mowers.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:40 pm
by propane1
Little more done today. Sorta made up for not doing any yesterday.
Then this afternoon cleaned out last years wood in the garage, that was left over. Want to put wood in then the stuff I didn’t burn last year and burn it first when winter comes, in a few months.
Used my new trailer. So now it’s broke in. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:45 pm
by JSinMO
You got a good load on your new trailer! :thumbsup:

I’m not sure if you noticed it or not but, I think you need some air in your trailer tires. They look really low in that last picture.
IMG_3814.png

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:28 am
by propane1
JSinMO wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:45 pm You got a good load on your new trailer! :thumbsup:

I’m not sure if you noticed it or not but, I think you need some air in your trailer tires. They look really low in that last picture.
IMG_3814.png
Your right Jeff. I did notice it before I moved the trailer. And they didn’t look near that low. Some how by rolling the tires they must of settled. I’ll fix that up today.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:32 am
by Harry
Noel a good friend of mine who lives down the road on my street was in PEI last week. He and his wife honeymooned there 40 years ago so they returned for their 40 anniversary. He told me last night while having libations how many trees were down. He also mentioned the excellent seafood they enjoyed while vacationing there. :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:43 am
by propane1
Harry wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:32 am Noel a good friend of mine who lives down the road on my street was in PEI last week. He and his wife honeymooned there 40 years ago so they returned for their 40 anniversary. He told me last night while having libations how many trees were down. He also mentioned the excellent seafood they enjoyed while vacationing there. :peace: Harry
Glad they had a good time Harry, and enjoyed them self’s.

List of hot topics on PEI is, tourism, seafood, potatoes and now trees. But may not be in that order, depends who you talk too. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:18 pm
by propane1
No wood done today. Made some rows in the garden with Grunt, so sons girlfriend can plant. Hehe. If she will ever do.
And cut a bit of grass with the Ford 1210 compact tractor. More grass cutting tomorrow.

Seat time.

Noel

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:01 am
by Harry
Noel your soil looks terrific :worship: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:37 am
by Eugen
Harry wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:01 am Noel your soil looks terrific :worship: :peace: Harry
It's the famous red soil of PEI. :cheers:

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:20 am
by RoamingGnome
Eugen wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:37 am
Harry wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:01 am Noel your soil looks terrific :worship: :peace: Harry
It's the famous red soil of PEI. :cheers:
We have "PEI Dirt Shirts™" that haven't faded in 10 yrs... That dirt is good stuff! :highfive:

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:30 pm
by propane1
More wood cut today. And did some weed whacking. Cruise ship in. I’m sending it your way Eugen. Just put the loader tractor on there. They will let me know when to pick it up. :D

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:38 am
by propane1
A little more today done. No cruise ships in.

Been trying to get the Case 224 over to Fiona wood land to hook up to the old splitter and see what happens, just for fun. Was hoping for tomorrow, but looks like rain now, but may change. Suppose to be raining some all weekend. So there you go.
I’m sure yas are tired of the wood posts, any way, one of these days I’ll get it done. Tried a few times to get things going , but some thing happens and that it.
Going to use the Case 224 now to cut the grass. Suppose to rain this afternoon.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:43 pm
by MattA
That's a lot of wood Noel. Couple of years worth?

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:46 am
by propane1
MattA wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:43 pm That's a lot of wood Noel. Couple of years worth?
1 to 1 1/2 years maybe Matt.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:57 pm
by JSinMO
@propane1 I meant to ask you this the other day. Would you mind posting some more pictures of the hiller on the back of your Ford? I may try to make one and was hoping to use yours as a pattern.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:45 am
by propane1
Here ya go Jeff. They are horse drawn hillers. And the arm the shovels are hooked to are part of it too.
I didn’t make it. Somebody smarter than me did. I borrowed it. And I’ve had it for four years now. The fella that owns it never asks for it back yet. But I see him each year at our plow match. He knows we’re I live, and knows people that know how to get a hold of me if he wants it. I will probably take it back this year. As I’m not sure if I’m going to be gardening as much any more. I’ve always kept it inside. And have given instructions to my son, that if something happens to me, that the tool goes back to the owner. My son knows him and where he lives.

Noel

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:23 am
by Eugen
He he I really liked your hiller from the first time I saw it Noel! :45: :highfive:

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:47 pm
by propane1
Sooo, more wood related posts, :giggle: Finished up the sister in laws pile of wood the other day. Her wood is all cut 11” to 13” long and it’s about two cords.
So started on sons wood today, his will be 16” to 18” long, but for some reason today they were getting to 20” or so long. Have to adjust my self better I guess. Any way, he needs about four cords.
And we finally got the rest of the Fiona wood out of the woods yesterday too. About a quarter of a cord.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:25 am
by propane1
Nothing done since July first. Car show on the 2th of July and rain the 3rd and 4th. Soooo, back at it today. Was suppose to rain mid morning. But it didn’t. So I got my normal bit done and some. Chain sharpening this afternoon. Different angle pictures today. :D

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:27 pm
by Eugen
I want a Whipper Snapper that can cut wood too! Where did you get it from Noel? 😁

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:39 pm
by propane1
Did a nice job didn’t it. :giggle: :giggle:
But I think some of those things can be fitted with a type of a circular saw blade and cut 3” trees. I think.
You could look into that Eugen :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:44 pm
by Harry
It sure looks like a lot of wood to me Noel. :worship: :peace: Harry

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:16 pm
by propane1
More wood done again today. Fairly warm today. 24C with a feels like 30C temperature.

Little surprise for yas today. The Bluenose sailing ship was in port today.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:10 pm
by propane1
Little bit more done today. The pile is getting smaller.
Cruise ship in today.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:51 pm
by propane1
Pictures didn’t load. I’ll try again.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:43 pm
by propane1
Case224 and wood splitter are set up for work tomorrow. Warm today. Cut grass for about 3 hours. Oil temperature got to 140 F again today. 29C with a feels like 36C. Going to change it up a bit tomorrow. Split wood instead of cutting it. Hehe. WooHoo. Excitement tomorrow, Hehehehe.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:19 pm
by Eugen
Hehe somebody's enjoying his 224! :clap:

My 224 worked perfectly today too, mowed the outer lawn.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:19 pm
by propane1
Hehe. Garden tractor does farm tractor work. Splitting wood today with the Case 224. Got some done. RPMs at 2500 to 2600. Hydraulic oil temperature at 120F. Worked great. Was fun to do. Back at the wood cutting Monday. Depending on weather.

Do yas think the Case will get along with 3 MF garden tractors for a few days :42:

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:29 pm
by Eugen
That MF in the back looks a little worried! :D

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:48 pm
by propane1
Little more done. Cut some this morning. Hope to do more cutting and splitting Thursday. Rain tomorrow. And some where in between now and Thursday, I have to cut the grass with the Case 224 wood splitting tractor. Took the Case 224 home today for grass cutting.
Hehe. Put a video of the Case 224 and the old splitter on my you tube channel, splitting wood. Jumpins over 2100 views. Most views ever on any of my videos.

Two cruise ships in today.

No troubles or anything between the MF tractors and the Case tractor while in storage. :D

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:12 am
by propane1
Finished. I finally finished cutting the wood pile of 8’ logs. Started June 12. About 5 weeks to do.
On to splitting now for who knows how long. Three piles to do.
Still another pile length of 8’ logs to do yet. Put that would take I figure 8 weeks to do. And I’m running out of time before possible bad weather hits in two months time. And I don’t mean snow, I mean rain and hurricanes, like last year. So splitting will commence today.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:50 pm
by propane1
More wood split today. The Case 224 hooked to my old splitter worked great. Split for about an hour, then unhooked the hoses and cut grass for 2.5 hours with the Case 224. Was sunny and hot. The grass was very long and wet. In this type of weather the grass would never dry out, no matter how long you waited. Then took out the LGT 100 Ford, aka Grunt and cultivator and up rooted weeds in between the rows in the garden. Then rebooked the splitter hoses to the Case 224 and split for about another hour. Then put the Case under cover. Rain tonite, and all weekend, they are saying, could change thou.
Case doesn’t seem to bad on fuel while splitting. It sure doesn’t like cutting that long wet grass. I’d say throttle was wide open in most spots. Hard on fuel then. :hm:

Noel

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:58 pm
by propane1
Splitting wood with the Case 224 today and the MF7 comes home from sons place to cut the grass. This will save me, hopefully, from hauling the Case from my place to sons place each time I want to cut the grass at home.

Noel

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:43 pm
by Harry
propane1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:58 pm Splitting wood with the Case 224 today and the MF7 comes home from sons place to cut the grass. This will save me, hopefully, from hauling the Case from my place to sons place each time I want to cut the grass at home.

Noel
Noel I’m glad I have a dedicated splitter that does not need a GT to run it. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:55 pm
by RoamingGnome
propane1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:58 pm Splitting wood with the Case 224 today and the MF7 comes home from sons place to cut the grass. This will save me, hopefully, from hauling the Case from my place to sons place each time I want to cut the grass at home.

Noel
Looks good Noel - nice to have a few extra tractors to shuffle around for all your different jobs :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:30 pm
by propane1
Did good on the splitting today. I hope tomorrow will finish the first pile. Splitter and Case 224 worked great. Had a little rain delay, but got lots done.
Once done of this pile, on to the next one, in the last picture.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:13 am
by propane1
Surprise surprise, Was up in my woods checking a noise I was hearing. Seemed awfully close to my land. But the machine was quite a ways away. Never stops with them Beepin machines.
Any way, found a tree that had blown down. I was in there two weeks or less ago and was not down then.
I’ll just give the tools to the mosquitoes and let them do it up. Holy cats they were bad in there.
That will be an October job. And it’s just an old poplar tree. Not worth cuttin up. But it’s in the way of getting to my dumping spot.
It’s about 12” or less in diameter.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:47 pm
by propane1
So more done today. Finished the sister in laws wood. So I’ll message her and tell her the wood is done. The whole pile is yours, get haulin.
Not sure about the weather tomorrow wether I be starting on the next pile or not. Lot of grass cutting and whacking to do at home and over at the wood pile. Plus some garden work.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:58 am
by thebuildist
Those are some impressive piles of wood. And it makes my heart happy to see that plucky little old-iron 224 just sitting there churning out the power to split all that wood.

No fuss, no drama. Just crunch-crunch-crunch. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:12 pm
by propane1
Thanks Bob. It works great.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:26 pm
by propane1
Some done today. Son helped this mourning, surprising how much wood gets done with two people. Sure made a dent in the big pile.
Grass cutting tomorrow. Maybe some wood splitting. Maybe some weed whacking, maybe some garden work, and maybe some some some, always something. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:11 pm
by propane1
Bit more done today. Son helped later in the afternoon. Case224 and splitter works great again. Might be half done of that second pile.

Noel

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:26 pm
by propane1
So there we are. Second pile done. Had help from sister in law and the we split up a bit of apple wood she had. So on to the hurricane Fiona wood next. Some preparation to do first before the splitting starts. Have to make a pallet bin to throw the wood into. And do a little fix up on the wood escalator. Hopefully start early next week. Got a wood moisture meter for a gift yesterday. Always wanted one, but don’t really need it. Just another fun gadget to use.

Noel

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:40 pm
by Eugen
I like gadgets too, please show us when you use it and for what. :D

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:36 pm
by propane1
Ok Eugen, I’ll do that. Some afternoon fun. Dragging the free wood I got yesterday off the trailer and cutting it up. May split some too. Just the stuff on the ground is what I’m doing. Not the stacked pile.

Noel

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:39 am
by propane1
Gadget is used to test moisture content in firewood mostly. I got it as a gift, but have been wanting one for quite a while. Just more for entertainment for me, but for people who sell firewood, most of those people want to make sure they are selling burnable firewood. They won’t get returning customers if they sell wet firewood that’s hard to burn.
So this moisture meter will tell the moisture content in the wood. As far as I know, not an expert in this, 20 percent moisture content or lower is good wood for burning. I for some reason would use 18 percent, if I was selling wood to burn. But I don’t sell firewood.
So this thing is just a guide and entertainment tool for me.

What I tested is fresh split. So you stack it and let it season normally. Once seasoned, you would resplit a few pieces and check the moisture content on the fresh inside split. If the moisture content is where you want it, then is ready to burn or sell.
If you burn wet wood that will create creosote in your flu, which could lead to a flue fire. And you don’t want that. So testing moisture content is a good thing to do.

If anybody has more information or other ideas, please post. Firewood burning season is coming and now would be a good time to chat about it.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:21 pm
by propane1
So I didn’t get to the hurricane Fiona wood yet to split up. Have not been back at the wood since last Wednesday. Between other things to do and weather, I didn’t get back till today. So my son figures he still needs another cord yet. So Fiona wood is on delay. Started cutting wood today and the escalator is giving more trouble. It’s worn out, so that’s to be expected. :hm: :45: :106: Did a half a fix to it and got some wood cut. Have to figure out what to do with the Escalator to do a better more permanent fix. I don’t like the drive system on the bottom. I would rather it at the top pulling the chain up instead of pushing it up. :hm: :40:

Noel. :D

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:42 pm
by propane1
Another wood cutting machine. Ford 1210 compact 16 hp diesel tractor hooked to our saw bench. We were not sure if it would run it, but it works great. Maybe even better than the Ferguson tractor.

Noel

https://youtu.be/c6uBmq6qYkk

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:31 pm
by Eugen
Seems to work great! Good on gas that diesel too! Nice movie Noel! :highfive:

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:10 pm
by MattA
How big if a log diameter can you cut up with the saw? Maybe cut up some big logs in the next video?

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:24 pm
by JSinMO
Good video Noel! :thumbsup: looks like that Ford handles that saw great. I’m jealous of that saw, now I have something else I’d like to add to the the mix around here!

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:31 pm
by Harry
Great video cutting with the saw. I enjoyed watching the Ford cutting effortlessly. Thanks for sharing Noel. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:22 am
by Toolslinger
I don't think I've ever seen a modern saw bench before... That's a nice setup for sure. I don't think I'd be intimidated by that like I am of the old school, open blade nightmares I've seen. How do you deal with sharpening?

I was going to suggest moving the 3 point mount down a little for more ground clearance, but then I saw the angle on the PTO shaft is already pretty steep. It almost looks like it should be binding at that angle with U-Joints. Is that a CV joint shaft?

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:05 am
by propane1
Toolslinger wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:22 am I don't think I've ever seen a modern saw bench before... That's a nice setup for sure. I don't think I'd be intimidated by that like I am of the old school, open blade nightmares I've seen. How do you deal with sharpening?

I was going to suggest moving the 3 point mount down a little for more ground clearance, but then I saw the angle on the PTO shaft is already pretty steep. It almost looks like it should be binding at that angle with U-Joints. Is that a CV joint shaft?
Sharping is a little difficult. But I just move the bench in and sharpen some teeth, then turn the blade, then sharpen a few more. I mark where I start. But not hard to see the shinny tooth as you get to it.

We might take the pallet out from under it to help with clearance and the angle of the drive shaft. But it’s at a good working height there. That’s why we put the pallet there years ago. It was to low. It’s a strange sort of saw bench, but works well. And some what safer. Driveshaft is universals at each end. Was thinking to put down a couple of 2X8’s for the rear tires to go on to. That’s would help with the driveshaft angle.
Even when we had it on the tea20 Ferguson tractor the driveshaft had quite an angle. Has not seemed to bother the driveshaft. Again, if the pallet was not there, the shaft would be much straighter.
I’ve never seemed to find any thing about the saw bench on the internet. Never seen one before. The short table to put the wood on is strange too. I did make a flip up extension for it which helps hold the log.

Noel

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:27 pm
by RoamingGnome
Howdy Noel - Actually saw one of these in my local Princess Auto the other day...
Wood Saw.jpg
I'm going to bet yours is probably a whole bunch more sturdy...

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:14 pm
by propane1
RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:27 pm Howdy Noel - Actually saw one of these in my local Princess Auto the other day...

Wood Saw.jpg

I'm going to bet yours is probably a whole bunch more sturdy...
Well now Gerry, I’ve never seen one of those at our store. That’s a neat thing. It would cut about a 12” log. Big price. But, if you needed one. There ya go. Thanks for posting.

Noel

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:28 pm
by propane1
Still at the wood. And have some stacked in the garage. Loader comes in handy for that.
And the Case was splitting wood today.
Measured the saw bench that’s hooked to the Ford and it will take a 10” log. Could get a 11” or 12” in it maybe. But would have to turn the log to finish the cut. Biggest we have is about 8”. Maybe a few 9” ones. Cut some yesterday and some were 7” or so. Took a video, but didn’t turn out and I was : :cuss: :pullhair: so I deleted them. Sorry Matt.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:07 pm
by propane1
Amazing how things in nature fix them selfs.
This birch tree and the two little maples were almost horizontal to the ground and the roots were up at 90 degrees or so, after hurricane Fiona last September.
Today I was cutting the grass in the field and noticed the root fell back quite a ways.
The two small maples are almost up straight.

And got some more wood stacked in the garage.

Noel

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:45 pm
by propane1
Was at the splitting of the Fiona wood, finally today and yesterday. Got a pallet bin built on Monday. And set up the equipment and started at it yesterday. Hoping to have it done by the end of September. Hehe. Nasty plant growing thru it all. Weed whacked it all off a number of times thru the summer. Grows worse that a bad weed. :giggle:
All tractors have to be serviced after that. I still have to get my own wood in the garage. I’m about 1/2 done of that. Sons wood has to be stacked in his wood shed yet. So, slowly getting there, but slowly running of of reasonable weather.
And the threat of hurricanes is opon us. At the moment hurricane Lee is the next one. All thou I have not heard today what it is doing.
Case 224 and escalator are working great. Tractor running at 2600 rpm. About 1.5 to 2 litres of fuel per hour.

Noel

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:41 pm
by Harry
Great pics Noel. Thanks for posting. :peace: Harry

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:27 pm
by JSinMO
Lookin good Noel! I was reading about hurricane Lee a little bit ago. Pretty serious storm but it sounds like it’s too soon to know its path. Fingers crossed that it gets steered out to sea.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:23 am
by thebuildist
awesome efficiency!

Looking good!

Bob

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:49 pm
by MattA
Noel is the wood escalator gas powered? Would be neat if it ran on the bypassed hydraulic fluid when your not splitting.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:35 pm
by propane1
MattA wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:49 pm Noel is the wood escalator gas powered? Would be neat if it ran on the bypassed hydraulic fluid when your not splitting.
Electric AC 110 power Matt. Ya that would be neat.

Noel

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:41 pm
by propane1
Video of todays splitting. 20 minutes long. Some watch it and some don’t. Watch if you want to. Just entertainment. Tractor has been working great. And the splitter too. Lots to do yet. Escalator working good also.

Noel

https://youtu.be/5P9nrUQENcI?si=e7NuKTbpTjye41Ys

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:16 am
by propane1
Better picture of the wood pile. Rain tomorrow, so maybe back at it on Tuesday. Bunch of wood

Noel

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:12 am
by RoamingGnome
Good luck on getting more done before the rain comes... :cheers:

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:26 pm
by propane1
So progress has been made, still working at the Fiona wood. Nice week this week so I hope to keep at it. Would be nice to be younger and able to stay at it longer each day, but just lucky I can do it. Three tractors in use today.
And where Fiona blew down his Locust tree at his house, we had a surprise. A new tree is growing.

Noel

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:39 am
by Harry
Nice post on the firewood Noel. I loved the pics too. Were in the same boat on working. I can get somethings done, but I just can’t do it all day like I use to. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:55 am
by propane1
The end is very near, for the Fiona wood pile splitting. And that end could be today :hm: could of hours of splitting and it will be done. The pallet bin I made may or may not hold it all. :please: :42: :D

Noel

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:36 am
by DavidBarkey
Thats a lot of work Noel . You might need to sit back with the youngins and have a big oll bonfire to use up what won't fit . :cheers:

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:26 am
by propane1
Well a break down. Had big round up on the splitter and we fought it quite a bit and it broke the splitter and us. And only got one little piece off of it. Any way. Five good size rounds left. Splitter is fixed now. Broke the weld on the wedge :42: But I’m still broke. So hard to say if it will get finished today. Will have to use chainsaw on that big one next week to cut it up into manageable lifting pieces.

Noel

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:26 pm
by propane1
Well it’s done. But not quite. But as far as I concerned it’s done. Two rounds left. Need chainsaw to cut up the one we were fighting and to cut the other one, it was full of ants.
So 4.8 cords out of all that wood. Still some clean up, but
Most of that done too.
Thanks for following along, year long event.

Noel

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:24 pm
by JSinMO
Awesome job Noel! :thumbsup: This was quite the task you guys tackled. It’s got to feel nice to have the cutting and splitting finally finished up. How long will 4.8 cords last you?
And I guess the bigger question is, what will you do with all your free time now! :giggle:
Thanks for taking us along I enjoyed seeing it get done! :highfive:

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:12 am
by propane1
Hehe, free time Jeff. Hehe. Many things to do yet to get ready for winter. Hibrrrrnation start November first. Hehe. Well Jeff that wood will be ready next fall. I could get two years or so out of it for hearing my garage. If my son burnt it in his house he’d get a year and a bit. I still need some wood to put in my garage yet and store a cord outside. So more wood splitting will start next week, hopefully. There is older soft wood I want to burn up. So I’ll split that and take it home.
Then there is a million tractors service and get ready for winter duties or get ready for winter storage. No rest for me. We still have to stack my sons 3 or 4 cord, that I split, into his wood shed yet. And grass to cut. That should be ending with in the next two weeks or so.
Free Time, hahahahaha, maybe when I get in to hibrrrrnation mode. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:31 pm
by propane1
So wood stacking started today. And set up of the Case 224 and splitter to a new pile of wood. This wood is older and only softwood. It needs to get used up. I need to split up a cord and take it home.
Will be easy splitting. And lighter wood to wrestle around. Dump cart in place, escalator and trailer start Tuesday maybe.

Noel

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:56 pm
by propane1
A cleaned up picture of the Fiona wood pile. Been done for a bit now. But I was walking by there today and thought, jumpins that looks good.

Noel

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:49 am
by DavidBarkey
That wood pile is one big pile of wood. Hopefully the last big cleanup you will have to do .

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:58 am
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:49 am That wood pile is one big pile of wood. Hopefully the last big cleanup you will have to do .
Yes hopefully Dave. It’s been a long process. About 5 cords there.

Noel

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:24 am
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:58 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:49 am That wood pile is one big pile of wood. Hopefully the last big cleanup you will have to do .

Noel
5 bush (full) cords .
:O :109:

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:28 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:24 am

Noel
5 bush (full) cords .

Not sure about bush cords Dave. Not a term I’ve heard used here. A 4x4x8 foot is a cord here. 128 cubic feet.
And that is just fell on to grass lawn areas mostly. I have not touched what’s in the woods that is broke or pulled out of the ground. Would be 2 or 3 more cord if I got it out. That may or may never happen. Might pick at it next spring and fall.

Noel

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:21 pm
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:28 pm

Noel
5 bush (full) cords .

Not sure about bush cords Dave. Not a term I’ve heard used here. A 4x4x8 foot is a cord here. 128 cubic feet.
And that is just fell on to grass lawn areas mostly. I have not touched what’s in the woods that is broke or pulled out of the ground. Would be 2 or 3 more cord if I got it out. That may or may never happen. Might pick at it next spring and fall.

Noel
Around these parts there are 2 sizes a "Face cord " 4'x8' x 16" deep (one course) ie. the Face cord "
And the Bush cord 4'x4'x8' both are split and stacked so .

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:57 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:21 pm

5 bush (full) cords .

Noel
Around these parts there are 2 sizes a "Face cord " 4'x8' x 16" deep (one course) ie. the Face cord "
Interesting, that's the first time I've heard that term. In the Midwest firewood is sold in the same dimensions, but referred to as a face cord or a full cord although less commonly a face cord is sometimes referred to as a "rick".

Bob

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:40 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:21 pm

5 bush (full) cords .

Noel
Got ya Dave. That’s what I’m use too here.

Noel

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:28 am
by RoamingGnome
Cords and face cords... Makes you feel sorry for city folk around here that are happily paying the Big Box stores $150.00 for a 'skid' (4'x4'x2') of firewood... :109: There's profit to be made in the concrete jungle :furious:

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:52 pm
by propane1
RoamingGnome wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:28 am Cords and face cords... Makes you feel sorry for city folk around here that are happily paying the Big Box stores $150.00 for a 'skid' (4'x4'x2') of firewood... :109: There's profit to be made in the concrete jungle :furious:
Hopefully just recreational burning and not heating their homes with that. $600.00 bucks a cord. Wowsers.

Noel

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:57 pm
by RoamingGnome
@propane1 I'm pretty sure folks buying a flat of firewood from Rona or Home Depot are probably just doing it to have a romantic evening in front of a rec room fireplace :) If you were serious about wood heat it would be cheaper picking up junk skids from warehouses and burning them... :rofl: