the price of used stuff

Shoot the breeze here.
DavidBarkey Canada

the price of used stuff

Post by DavidBarkey »

A used dealer lot in the area sen out a flyer today . It had a SUV similar to my :wife: 's . So for fun I looked up her exact vehicle with similar mileage and condition . 2018 Kias Sportage lx 103,000 km's Found one almost exact same for sale . $20,000 plus plus . That is more than we paid for the car new all in ! :O
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Re: the price of used stuff

Post by propane1 »

Price of most things are crazy. I went to KFC today to get a small popcorn chicken for Grandson. $7.00. Wowsers.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

On the bright side Dave, if you sell your :wife: vehicle you get big $$$ :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:41 pm On the bright side Dave, if you sell your :wife: vehicle you get big $$$ :D
Hehe. Then try and buy something to replace it. Hehe.

Noel
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:04 pm A used dealer lot in the area sen out a flyer today . It had a SUV similar to my :wife: 's . So for fun I looked up her exact vehicle with similar mileage and condition . 2018 Kias Sportage lx 103,000 km's Found one almost exact same for sale . $20,000 plus plus . That is more than we paid for the car new all in ! :O
Make sure you change your oil on time and check the level reasonably often. Hyundai/Kia have had a lot of 4 cylinder engine issues dating back to 2012 time frame. Most issues are related to connecting rod bearing failures and excessive oil consumption. Nearly 6 million cars were recalled for the connecting rod software update and clearance test.

I changed the oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic on my 2017 sonata hybrid every 5K miles up thru 60K and then switched to the recommended 7.5K miles. By 90K I was having excessive oil consumption issues. About 96K miles I had the dealer perform an oil consumption test. Once we got past my dealer over filling the oil and under reporting the consumption, my car eventually failed the test. Since the rate was so high, my dealer put my car in for an engine replacement instead of doing the standard combustion chamber cleaning to unstick the piston rings. Haven't heard anything in a month or so. Dealer said they have a stack of engine replacement paperwork for customers and the customers typically have to wait a while unless they have a catastrophic engine failure. I have my doubts about the engine actually getting replaced. My car did pass the connecting rod bearing clearance test last summer. It does have a bit of piston slap when cold especially as the temps drop and in general the engine seems noisy.

I recently used BG Products Engine Performance Restoration "EPR" and CRC's GDI spray cleaner on my engine. EPR is supposed to help free up piston rings rings and clean out oil passages. So far my engine is surprisingly quieter aside from the piston slap and the oil consumption seems better. I don't have that many miles on the oil change yet.

My wife's 2015 sonata eco (1.6L turbo + 7spd dual clutch transmission) has had some poor running and nearly stalling issues which I fixed by using CRC's GDI cleaner. Basically the intake valves were covered in crap restricting the air flow. Runs much better now aside from the DCT's piss poor driveability at low speeds.

Both cars have unrefined powertrains and the recent oil consumption test really turned me off to the brands (regular automatic transmission cars are likely more refined). Time will show us if Hyundai/Kia's new lineup of 4 cylinder engines will last. I am really impressed with their new electric cars. I did get a free connecting rod bearing warranty extension to 150K miles. Some cars got a lifetime connecting rod bearing warranty as a result of a class action lawsuit.
Sorry for the rant lol. Wish I had kept changing my oil at 5K miles.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@MattA Sorry , you have had issues with yours . I hear a lot of nightmares about turbos engines CVT transmitions and hybread across all the makes . We have done the the oil every 5km , only ever used quality regular oil . The 7.5km they recommend is to high in my beleaf . Rust proofed every year . We went for the Non turbo for the cost savings at purchase and the longevity of the engine when we bought it . :wife: travels secondary highway to work every day , so it is not putting around town and also not getting wrong out either . Like my truck , I did a lot of resurch into the different vehicals . Being in automotive as long as I have , I knew a lot of guys in the dealer ships as well and got the real scope on what was out there . Over 300,000 on the truck and over 300,000 her last Hyundai Sante Fe before the body gave out . That Sante Fe would have gone longer but we did not keep up on the rust proofing when we moved out the farm . Rebuilding the house and property was all consuming . All direct injection engines have the same problem with carbon building up on the back of the intake valves . It settles there from the pcv system over time and there is no fuel spray to wash it off . That is something I plan to do to hers this summer now that it is over 100,000km. Now that I have been away from the shops for few years now , like me most of the guys I know have quit the trade so I don't know what I will do when needing another vehicle . Maybe a solar power electric golf cart with a cab . :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

propane1 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:50 pm
Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:41 pm On the bright side Dave, if you sell your :wife: vehicle you get big $$$ :D

Noel
Yah , would get more than we paid for it . But what do you replace it with ? See the price of New :O and the availability , plus parts . I am not looking forward to the next purchase . Unless I win the lottery and can afford to through away a car if I don't like it I will be stuck getting something with more BS and bubblegum trinkets and toys to go wrong than I want .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:05 am
propane1 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:50 pm

Noel
Yah , would get more than we paid for it . But what do you replace it with ? See the price of New :O and the availability , plus parts . I am not looking forward to the next purchase . Unless I win the lottery and can afford to through away a car if I don't like it I will be stuck getting something with more BS and bubblegum trinkets and toys to go wrong than I want .
Being the type that just looks at the facts, and NOT into emotional crap like "Rich man (Elon) bad", or blind brand loyalty. I think the Teslas are the best choice, looking at effeisecny, operational costs, safety ratings... BUT yah those Teslas are technological monstrosities for many of us old farts ;) The :wife: 's 2014 Focus has more useless buttons than you can shake a stick at :cuss: Heck when we got it we had to ask the salesman how to change the radio to the AM band, he had to get help to figure it out, and this was at the Ford dealership.

Also if you dig into the financials. Tesla with their profit margins should ensure they will be around for quite awhile. NO OEM selling EV's is doing so at a profit, YES they are losing money on every EV they sell, just trying to gain market share. I guess I don't understand big finance and how the OEM's can stay in business with 10's of billions $$$ in debt. Sooner or later they have to go bankrupt if they can't get their act together.

:cheers:
Gordy
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Heck when we got it we had to ask the salesman how to change the radio to the AM band, he had to get help to figure it out, and this was at the Ford dealership.

Took me quite a while to figure out how to set the time in my 2005 ford ranger radio clock. :giggle:

Noel :D
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Apparently Ford filed for a patent on their electric cars to drive themselves to the bank if you can no longer make payments :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: