Page 1 of 1

Motor heads

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:17 pm
by Harry
I’ve always been a motor head and recently I was cleaning up the closet and came across a box of photos. Here are some pics of the Harleys that I had when I was in my twenties. I would take them apart and repaint them during the winter and add some new engine parts to make them better. Now I’m doing similar things with the Case GT’s. :peace: Harry

Re: Motor heads

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:28 pm
by Eugen
Oooh! Those were nice bikes @Harry ! What made you stop riding? Do you miss it?

I'm thinking about selling my bike, just terminated insurance. This is the first year not riding after 17 years. I'm probably going to miss it.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:42 pm
by Harry
The last one I had was the flame tank Harley. I sold it and put the money into a down payment on the house where I live now. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:09 pm
by JSinMO
That’s awesome @Harry !
Nice looking bikes! Here is a terrible picture of one of mine from a long time ago.
FB431420-507B-444E-B909-741C43C5902A.png
1978 Sportster I fixed up.
One too many close calls on the highway, and starting a family made me decide to end my street bike days.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:41 am
by Harry
J, nice looking sportster. I understand about the close calls on a bike. The drivers today in cars and trucks are insane. I would not want to be out on a bike today. After selling my last motorcycle my biking friends were always kidding me about getting another one. I resisted the temptation and concentrated my life on my family and providing for them. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:11 am
by RoamingGnome
Nice looking Bikes @Harry - When I was in my 20's I spent a couple of summers following friends to local tracks where they were racing their bikes... I was tempted many times to buy a crotch rocket, but the little voices inside my head said that would be flirting with danger and I convinced myself to be happy standing on the infield snapping photos as they went racing by...

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:33 pm
by thebuildist
Now that's a great idea! How about a 1340cc v-twin thumper for powering a case GT?

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:38 pm
by DavidBarkey
thebuildist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:33 pm Now that's a great idea! How about a 1340cc v-twin thumper for powering a case GT?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLAEwx9e58

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:50 pm
by Eugen
Now you better use blue loctite on all the bolts, those things shake a lot! :D

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:32 pm
by thebuildist
I've seen it go the other way, and it's one of the coolest things I've ever laid eyes on!

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/storie ... ll-cub-tra

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:56 pm
by ssmewing
We buried my best friend in 1986. He had the speed thing bad. Cars, bikes, quads, he had it all.

He died in a single-vehicle crash, due to excessive speed. It was a Fastback Mustang with the final touch of his modifications done the day before, new tires.

I thought it was dream talk but I later learned it was not. He kept saying to me that he was going to buy a Yamaha dealership and I was going to be the manager. He, the mechanic. I was nearly done with my business degree.

Found out that his mother was 2nd on the ladder for a large local brick plant. She had been leaving the first digit off her income she told her family for a long time. She was hiding her income, from the family, had paid cash for everything they had, and was making payments on the non-existent loans out of the fake income for the family. She was working on buying the Yamaha dealership before Mark died. It was likely to close on the deal later that year. How life can turn as you make choices. Or, others near you make choices.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:27 pm
by Gordy
ssmewing wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:56 pm We buried my best friend in 1986. He had the speed thing bad. Cars, bikes, quads, he had it all.

He died in a single-vehicle crash, due to excessive speed. It was a Fastback Mustang with the final touch of his modifications done the day before, new tires.

I thought it was dream talk but I later learned it was not. He kept saying to me that he was going to buy a Yamaha dealership and I was going to be the manager. He, the mechanic. I was nearly done with my business degree.

Found out that his mother was 2nd on the ladder for a large local brick plant. She had been leaving the first digit off her income she told her family for a long time. She was hiding her income, from the family, had paid cash for everything they had, and was making payments on the non-existent loans out of the fake income for the family. She was working on buying the Yamaha dealership before Mark died. It was likely to close on the deal later that year. How life can turn as you make choices. Or, others near you make choices.
Senor year of HS I had a classmate prove the poster on the wall was true. Picture of a big oak tree and the caption read "60 to 0 in .001 seconds". Too fast around a corner, some loose gravel and the tree on the other side of the ditch. His dad came with the loader tractor picked the bike up and took it home, then dug a hole in the hog pen and buried the bike. He said NO part of that bike would be responesable for another death.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:04 pm
by JSinMO
I lost a friend in HS too. Going way to fast in an old car that couldn’t handle that kind of speed. He lost control, and you know the rest. All these years later when a song comes on the radio they played at the funeral I have a hard time listening to it.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:25 am
by DavidBarkey
image.png
looks like it would be fun in the snow covered fields .