Tools we don’t use anymore

Shoot the breeze here.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Tools we don’t use anymore

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:30 pm
Harry wrote:While cleaning out my Fathers workshop I came across a lot of tools. Some I have used and some I have never used. Here are a few I’ve never used. :peace: Harry
Harry@, I'd use that 15/16 spud wrench twice a month at my work. I have adjustable spud wrench that has took a beating. I've thought about having that wrench but with a 12 pt closed end.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Why do they call it a spud wrench?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

All I know is when pipefitter’s I worked with would fit a pipeline together, they would use the tang end of the wrench to line up the flanges. They would call it spudding the flanges together. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I'll agree that when you need that nail puller, it simply can't be beat. They're still sold new incidently.
I don't use them often enough to justify buying a second, or third, but as a result, the one I have is most likely to be in a location I am not...

Have a couple dwell meters I've never used. Supposedly used last time on our '48 Diamond T. That thing runs like a Swiss watch, so I'm not messing with it. Perhaps it will help when I get around to the F750, and Ford 240 in the Crane upper.

I've got a very nice hand miter box... That will likely never get used again.

3 Sets of slate roofing tools. Just got rid of the last slate roof, so they're just around for display. Glad I learned how to do slate, but can't say I miss it.

Lots of hand braces, and manual eggbeater style drills.

Folding wood rules... Still handy every once in a while.

Optical transit. Still have 3, and I love them, but generally I'll use my laser level for most things. Plenty of times there's no substitute for me though. At least not without investing in more modern, or fancy gear, and I sure can't justify that for the odd project.

Sheet metal shears... The old style monster scissor type. I keep trying to like them, but they always suck, so I use the Wiss compound style for everything now.

I think I could go on forever...

Have a few of the drum brake pliers... Still need them though. Even had to buy a really big set a few years ago for the Diamond T...
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I sometime s use the old brake spring tool for deck spring ect. Sometimes use them for the intended purpose when survicing the rear "drum brakes " of my old truck .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

thebuildist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:06 pm When you need one of those nail pullers, there's just no substitute.

That reminds me, somewhere around here I have a couple lead caulking irons for sealing hub fittings on cast iron drain pipes.

https://images.app.goo.gl/FwpyQ6JPxxy8S6Uc9

Just in case this whole "PVC drain pipes"thing doesn't catch on.

:rofl: :rofl:
I got one of those, and I thought it was some kind of offset chisel :oops:
image.png
image.png (65.53 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Might as well add the old blow torches to the list, I probably have 20 of them with soldering iron for most of them.
image.png
image.png
:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:27 pm Might as well add the old blow torches to the list, I probably have 20 of them with soldering iron for most of them.

Gordy
You can have the three I got too, don't know what I was thinking getting them :| ... :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

How about the mathematical brain? how many of us now dive for the calculator or phone to do even some of the basic math things like adding a tip to the bill, etc?
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Toolslinger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:02 am I'll agree that when you need that nail puller, it simply can't be beat. They're still sold new incidently.
I don't use them often enough to justify buying a second, or third, but as a result, the one I have is most likely to be in a location I am not...

Have a couple dwell meters I've never used. Supposedly used last time on our '48 Diamond T. That thing runs like a Swiss watch, so I'm not messing with it. Perhaps it will help when I get around to the F750, and Ford 240 in the Crane upper.

I've got a very nice hand miter box... That will likely never get used again.

3 Sets of slate roofing tools. Just got rid of the last slate roof, so they're just around for display. Glad I learned how to do slate, but can't say I miss it.

Lots of hand braces, and manual eggbeater style drills.

Folding wood rules... Still handy every once in a while.

Optical transit. Still have 3, and I love them, but generally I'll use my laser level for most things. Plenty of times there's no substitute for me though. At least not without investing in more modern, or fancy gear, and I sure can't justify that for the odd project.

Sheet metal shears... The old style monster scissor type. I keep trying to like them, but they always suck, so I use the Wiss compound style for everything now.

I think I could go on forever...

Have a few of the drum brake pliers... Still need them though. Even had to buy a really big set a few years ago for the Diamond T...

I while back I built a fancy-ish toolbox out of oak and mystery hardwood pallet lumber. It's the old-school type that's like a giant open topped tray and a "broomstick" carrying handle. But for mine I put a 3" high drawer under the tray part and custom fitted my two nicest jack planes and a block plane and an eggbeater drill and a nicely sharpened/maintained set of wood chisels and a couple of spoke shaves. In the open top are my 4 or 5 nice hand saws, a bit brace, a breast drill, a set of brace bits, and a couple folding rules.

It serves as my "nice woodworking" box, which I do very little of these days. But it's also just a shade of "prepping". Every tool in that box is really useful (on wood) and works without electricity. Skilled people have built full houses with less. If the dreaded apocalypse happens, that box will be very handy, either to me or somebody else.

So I just can't get bring myself to get rid of it, even though I hardly ever reach in there. Except for the block plane. I use that pretty often. There is no substitute for a block plane, electric or not. You can easily remove up to about 1/4" of wood, leaving behind a perfect, smooth, square result.

Sticking door or cabinet door? Don't make a mess with a skilsaw or a belt sander. A sharp block plane will make a clean job in no time at all.

I have aviation snips, which I like ok, particularly the offset aviation snips. Fun fact about aviation snips: Ron Covell, who's a master sheet metal worker on YouTube, always uses aviation snips "upside down": with the body of the snips down underneath the plate, where all see when you look down is what I'd call the "lower" blade. But he says you can control the cut better and get a smoother, more accurate cut that way. He should know.

But I still keep handy an aluminum set of Malco snips, because they have a much longer cutting stroke without resetting/repeating, which gives a smoother cut on anything over 3 or 4 linear inches. And I have a steel set of Wiss traditional snips that are about 20 inches long. Their extended leverage means you can cut really heavy gauge sheet, like steel up to a 1/16th" or aluminum up to about an 1/8". So those aren't going away any time soon, either.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:32 pm
Gordy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:27 pm Might as well add the old blow torches to the list, I probably have 20 of them with soldering iron for most of them.

Gordy
You can have the three I got too, don't know what I was thinking getting them :| ... :109:
:D Yah started collecting them because as a youngster (5 or 6 yo) Grandpa showed me how to use one to melt lead and pour sinkers and jig heads. I think I have enough of them BUT still fighting the temptation to say send them on down and I'd cover shipping :headbash:

Just out of curiosity, I know you guys get raped $$ on shipping north of the border, how bad is it $$ going south of the border?

Gordy
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

thebuildist wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:52 pm It serves as my "nice woodworking" box, which I do very little of these days. But it's also just a shade of "prepping". Every tool in that box is really useful (on wood) and works without electricity. Skilled people have built full houses with less. If the dreaded apocalypse happens, that box will be very handy, either to me or somebody else.

So I just can't get bring myself to get rid of it, even though I hardly ever reach in there. Except for the block plane. I use that pretty often. There is no substitute for a block plane, electric or not. You can easily remove up to about 1/4" of wood, leaving behind a perfect, smooth, square result.
Indeed there is no substitue for a good plane. In the last few years I picked up a #7, and #8. I just dont have the machinery down in Baltimore, so the house work gets done the old fashioned way there, so the #7 and selection of smaller planes went there. The #8 is out in PA. As I work on my 250 (almost) year old grist mill, I will be doing some of it by hand. Having that monster plane makes quick work of tweaking a beam after it gets close with the power tools.

My chisels were always kept in great shape when I was a freelance carpenter... They got kinda neglected for a number of years since... Those too will be getting cleaned up, and put back in service.