Tools we don’t use anymore

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Tools we don’t use anymore

Post by JSinMO »

Since we have a great topic for tools we can’t live without, and not wanting to muddy the waters of that thread, I was thinking just for fun about tools we used to use all time and now they just gather dust.

My first contribution is one I found while digging around the back of the tool box looking for my timing light, something else I don’t use much anymore.

Do you guys still have one of these?
FDEB1BE0-D4C8-49D0-B4FD-66C41AB60EA7.jpeg
Analog dwell meter with settings for RPM and volts!
I remember this was a must have to set point on the old Chevys with the weights over the points in the distributor.
That’s the last thing I used it for, a long time ago!
Been sitting in there for years and years. I thought about using it on Herbie the truck to see if it still work and if I remember how to use it, but it’s really not necessary. Much easier to get the distributor on a lobe and set the points with a fueler gauge.

Do you have a tool on the back of the shelf that used to be invaluable, but now gathers dust?
Gordy United States of America

Re: Tools we don’t use anymore

Post by Gordy »

Yep got at least one dwell meter, has not been used since the mid 80's :O

I used to be into CB's, the meter for tuning the antenna has not been used in like forever.

The 3/4"socket set collects a lot of dust, but gets used every 2 to 4 years :109:

With the speed of the flapper disks on the angle grinders, the old bench grinder collect a lot of dust too :snail:

:cheers:
Gordy
Last edited by Gordy on Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Nice topic Jeff! I wanted to reply last night but it got really late and I was soooo tired.

@JSinMO I've been looking into buying a timing light recently, to use on the tractor engines. If you were closer I'd be all over you to borrow yours! :))

I'm not going to talk about all the tools I have from the time I was into electronics and audio hi-fi. Signal generators, oscilloscopes, signal analyzers, lab power supplies, and more... all sitting unused. One day I will get back to it, if the house addition happens, and we will have enough room for the stereo system to be installed. Hint: I like vinyl and tube amplifiers, which I build.

As for mechanical type tools, I'm not doing this for as long as you guys, so none of my tools has been sitting unused for a long time. Maybe the set of needle files. That hasn't been used in years. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Most of the old tools I have that have become obsolete I have reporposed into something else or are in a box with some other antique tools I plan to put on display . I have some vehicle/engine specific "special tools " in the bottom of my one tool box . Like the timing belt tensioner tool for a 80's Chrylers 2.2 l 4cl. ect. lol
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Gordy My grinder is the same way. Couldn’t tell you the last time I plugged it in.

@Eugen You would be welcome to borrow what you need! :thumbsup: The oscilloscope is a great one! Used to see them all the time, they just disappeared!

@DavidBarkey ”special tools” reminds me I have a front hub tool for a 1980 F150 4X4. Got to be close to 15 years since I owned that truck!

I just can’t stand to part with this stuff, because I know darn well the day after I get rid of it I’ll need it!
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

While cleaning out my Fathers workshop I came across a lot of tools. Some I have used and some I have never used. Here are a few I’ve never used. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Nail puller
Nail puller
Spud wrench
Spud wrench
Spud wrench
Spud wrench
Brake spring pliers
Brake spring pliers
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

When you need one of those nail pullers, there's just no substitute.

That reminds me, somewhere around here I have a couple lead caulking irons for sealing hub fittings on cast iron drain pipes.

https://images.app.goo.gl/FwpyQ6JPxxy8S6Uc9

Just in case this whole "PVC drain pipes"thing doesn't catch on.

:rofl: :rofl:
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Harry wrote:While cleaning out my Fathers workshop I came across a lot of tools. Some I have used and some I have never used. Here are a few I’ve never used. :peace: Harry
Harry@, I'd use that 15/16 spud wrench twice a month at my work. I have adjustable spud wrench that has took a beating. I've thought about having that wrench but with a 12 pt closed end.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Harry wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:30 pm While cleaning out my Fathers workshop I came across a lot of tools. Some I have used and some I have never used. Here are a few I’ve never used. :peace: Harry
No drum brake vehicles, Harry? I might need to upgrade.......

Bob
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:06 pm When you need one of those nail pullers, there's just no substitute.

That reminds me, somewhere around here I have a couple lead caulking irons for sealing hub fittings on cast iron drain pipes.

https://images.app.goo.gl/FwpyQ6JPxxy8S6Uc9

Just in case this whole "PVC drain pipes"thing doesn't catch on.

:rofl: :rofl:
There are those out there that want us to stop using ALL plastics and petroleum products . But that's another discussion So you might want to hang on to that .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder