Can’t handle the cold, anymore.

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Can’t handle the cold, anymore.

Post by propane1 »

After reading Eugens post about working out in the -12C temperature, on his 680E tractor, I thought to myself, I use to be able to do some of that.
Only 10 or less years ago, I use to go to the woods in January and February and cut wood. Did some in my own woods and on a friends land, friend just past away,
But I enjoyed the wood cutting and using the tractors , but still didn’t like the cold at times. Fingers so cold you could hardly use them, that was the signal to stop and go get warm. I took loads and loads of wood in this little trailer to my sister-in-laws place and for myself to take home to burn, for a number of years. These pictures are at my land, and are dated January 17/15. So about 4 or so years ago the outside in the cold, in the woods cutting up trees stopped. Can’t handle the cold any more. Was helping son a couple of weeks ago fixing my truck, outside. It was after the cold snap we had and had warmed up but was still -16C. I was shaking so bad that it would easy to see me shaking. Didn’t seem to bother son. Any way. That’s the way it is I guess. The older ya get, the worse it gets, I suppose.
Any way. Couple of pictures of the tractor and trailer. Sorry, no Cases at that time. And the tractor drove out of where it is parked there in the last picture.

There now, a ramble about being cold.

Noel :D
Attachments
878684ED-B1ED-42FB-B762-BDD9BE8F0D33.png
BD857F66-DE9F-4E10-8A9C-CE4BA6C1E80A.png
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Can’t handle the cold, anymore.

Post by DavidBarkey »

Noel , you are not alone with this . I am unable to take the cold at all . Hands and feet go numb and unusable quickly even with full on winter wear . People comment about how lucky I am to have heat in the shop and cabs on my tractors . I am , but they came at a price . No vacations and other things I would have like to to do . About 15 years ago , I noticed my inability to stand the cold was getting worse . If I had not made those sacrifices then I would be stuck in the house all winter .
To all the guys out there . Once you hit 40 start watching for changes and be prepared to make changes for the future so you can still stay active in the winter . For those lucky enough for it to never bother you :worship: and I have a couple of friends like that that are older than me . They are in sandals and tee shirt when when I have to go back inside cause it is just to cold for me . Enjoy the cold weather if you can, and if you can't make yourself a warm place to tinker :creeper: all winter .
:drink: :coffee: :69:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Dave I have a friend like that. Although younger than me by about 8 years, he’s out in sleeve less shirts half the time in the winter. Drives a crane truck, so out unit all winter.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Sorry to hear you guys! My sign to go in is fingers and toes frozen, as my core temperature is usually fine. I bought a new pair of boots this winter, hoping my feet won't be cold. They are rated to -100C/-148F. Well, my feet were still getting cold yesterday at only -12C/10F. I thought I buy a quality item from Baffin, a Canadian company. :furious: I'm going to make fur inserts.

That's my ramble about cold weather! :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I like the cold less every year and it takes more motivation to want to go out in it, but I have to. Staying dry is a challenge, sometimes colder helps with that, the water freezes before it can soak in. There's a lot you can't do with gloves on, I'm sure I'm going to pay for it someday, but I'm one of those that handles it well. My winter coat is a lined flannel, my last helper would joke "if you see Tim put his Carhartt's on, you know it's cold"
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I’m with you guys. I have to be out in the weather too. Used to not care but now those long cold stretches sure drains my motivation. For some years now I find my core temperature gets cold. There have been many days I get home and get straight into a warm shower to warm up again. My wife had been saying she wants to move down south for a long time now, she’s getting closer to talking me into it. Although it’s hard to justify when we have a mild winter like this year.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Right there with all of you... Having the right layers of clothing is important, but It's all fun and games until your hands or feet get cold. Warm boots are an easy fix, it's keeping manual dexterity in freezing weather that is (was) my biggest challenge. As soon as my hands get wet (or worse - covered in freezing hyd. oil) I'm looking to clean them off and get them dry - and P.S. don't put any nuts or bolts between your lips when it's -40C out...
P1020012.JPG
P1020010.JPG
P1020009.JPG
LH 1600 crawler crane @ a wind farm installation
DSCF0279.JPG
Log loader in the Rockies - (daytime highs - -40C)
DSCF0111.JPG
DSCF0109.JPG
Working through a snowstorm in the scrapyards around Hamilton's Steel mills

- Photos provided for your entertainment, and to remind me of all the new words ( :cuss: ) I learned when working in some of those situations...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:35 am Once you hit 40 start watching for changes and be prepared to make changes for the future so you can still stay active in the winter .
Thanks for the warning. I'm turning 40 the end of next month. My wife and I have talked for years about moving somewhere warmer when we retire.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I don't necessarily hate the cold or the winter . There are some up side to it . Threes are pretty after a snow fall . Makes everything bright and clean white , well for awhile anyways . We that have snow , DON'T have all those nasty poisonous creatures they have in the warmer climates . Cold of winter makes you appreciate the warmer weather more .
I just hate not being able to function in the cold and all the extra work it involves .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@RoamingGnome Gerry you are better man than I . :worship: I could not stand that level of cold even when young and dumb .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder