Page 1 of 1

Can’t handle the cold, anymore.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:17 am
by propane1
After reading Eugens post about working out in the -12C temperature, on his 680E tractor, I thought to myself, I use to be able to do some of that.
Only 10 or less years ago, I use to go to the woods in January and February and cut wood. Did some in my own woods and on a friends land, friend just past away,
But I enjoyed the wood cutting and using the tractors , but still didn’t like the cold at times. Fingers so cold you could hardly use them, that was the signal to stop and go get warm. I took loads and loads of wood in this little trailer to my sister-in-laws place and for myself to take home to burn, for a number of years. These pictures are at my land, and are dated January 17/15. So about 4 or so years ago the outside in the cold, in the woods cutting up trees stopped. Can’t handle the cold any more. Was helping son a couple of weeks ago fixing my truck, outside. It was after the cold snap we had and had warmed up but was still -16C. I was shaking so bad that it would easy to see me shaking. Didn’t seem to bother son. Any way. That’s the way it is I guess. The older ya get, the worse it gets, I suppose.
Any way. Couple of pictures of the tractor and trailer. Sorry, no Cases at that time. And the tractor drove out of where it is parked there in the last picture.

There now, a ramble about being cold.

Noel :D

Re: Can’t handle the cold, anymore.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:35 am
by DavidBarkey
Noel , you are not alone with this . I am unable to take the cold at all . Hands and feet go numb and unusable quickly even with full on winter wear . People comment about how lucky I am to have heat in the shop and cabs on my tractors . I am , but they came at a price . No vacations and other things I would have like to to do . About 15 years ago , I noticed my inability to stand the cold was getting worse . If I had not made those sacrifices then I would be stuck in the house all winter .
To all the guys out there . Once you hit 40 start watching for changes and be prepared to make changes for the future so you can still stay active in the winter . For those lucky enough for it to never bother you :worship: and I have a couple of friends like that that are older than me . They are in sandals and tee shirt when when I have to go back inside cause it is just to cold for me . Enjoy the cold weather if you can, and if you can't make yourself a warm place to tinker :creeper: all winter .
:drink: :coffee: :69:

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:48 am
by propane1
Dave I have a friend like that. Although younger than me by about 8 years, he’s out in sleeve less shirts half the time in the winter. Drives a crane truck, so out unit all winter.

Noel

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:11 am
by Eugen
Sorry to hear you guys! My sign to go in is fingers and toes frozen, as my core temperature is usually fine. I bought a new pair of boots this winter, hoping my feet won't be cold. They are rated to -100C/-148F. Well, my feet were still getting cold yesterday at only -12C/10F. I thought I buy a quality item from Baffin, a Canadian company. :furious: I'm going to make fur inserts.

That's my ramble about cold weather! :D

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:52 am
by Timj
I like the cold less every year and it takes more motivation to want to go out in it, but I have to. Staying dry is a challenge, sometimes colder helps with that, the water freezes before it can soak in. There's a lot you can't do with gloves on, I'm sure I'm going to pay for it someday, but I'm one of those that handles it well. My winter coat is a lined flannel, my last helper would joke "if you see Tim put his Carhartt's on, you know it's cold"
:geek: Tim

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:48 am
by JSinMO
I’m with you guys. I have to be out in the weather too. Used to not care but now those long cold stretches sure drains my motivation. For some years now I find my core temperature gets cold. There have been many days I get home and get straight into a warm shower to warm up again. My wife had been saying she wants to move down south for a long time now, she’s getting closer to talking me into it. Although it’s hard to justify when we have a mild winter like this year.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:17 am
by RoamingGnome
Right there with all of you... Having the right layers of clothing is important, but It's all fun and games until your hands or feet get cold. Warm boots are an easy fix, it's keeping manual dexterity in freezing weather that is (was) my biggest challenge. As soon as my hands get wet (or worse - covered in freezing hyd. oil) I'm looking to clean them off and get them dry - and P.S. don't put any nuts or bolts between your lips when it's -40C out...
P1020012.JPG
P1020010.JPG
P1020009.JPG
LH 1600 crawler crane @ a wind farm installation
DSCF0279.JPG
Log loader in the Rockies - (daytime highs - -40C)
DSCF0111.JPG
DSCF0109.JPG
Working through a snowstorm in the scrapyards around Hamilton's Steel mills

- Photos provided for your entertainment, and to remind me of all the new words ( :cuss: ) I learned when working in some of those situations...

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:35 pm
by MattA
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:35 am Once you hit 40 start watching for changes and be prepared to make changes for the future so you can still stay active in the winter .
Thanks for the warning. I'm turning 40 the end of next month. My wife and I have talked for years about moving somewhere warmer when we retire.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:46 pm
by DavidBarkey
I don't necessarily hate the cold or the winter . There are some up side to it . Threes are pretty after a snow fall . Makes everything bright and clean white , well for awhile anyways . We that have snow , DON'T have all those nasty poisonous creatures they have in the warmer climates . Cold of winter makes you appreciate the warmer weather more .
I just hate not being able to function in the cold and all the extra work it involves .

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:48 pm
by DavidBarkey
@RoamingGnome Gerry you are better man than I . :worship: I could not stand that level of cold even when young and dumb .

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:52 pm
by Eugen
@RoamingGnome Gerry! :worship: that is next level stuff! When I grow up I want to be like you! I'm training as we speak. :D

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:43 pm
by keith
Brrrrrr! Just thinking about those cold days at work makes retirement that much better. :coffee:

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:47 pm
by JSinMO
@RoamingGnome glad you were able to retire from that stuff. My finger and toes are aching just looking at the pictures!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:52 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:46 pm I don't necessarily hate the cold or the winter . There are some up side to it . Threes are pretty after a snow fall . Makes everything bright and clean white , well for awhile anyways . We that have snow , DON'T have all those nasty poisonous creatures they have in the warmer climates . Cold of winter makes you appreciate the warmer weather more .
I just hate not being able to function in the cold and all the extra work it involves .

Hehe. Ya no mosquitos or earwigs around this time of year. Trees covered in snow, are sorta nice, if I’m inside looking out.
Had to clean the driveway late this afternoon. Pretty well froze to death. Fingers and toes. And John Deere tractor had heated seat.

Come on spring.

I know for some reason I’m gunna get a picture of a spring soon.

Noel.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:21 pm
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:52 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:46 pm I don't necessarily hate the cold or the winter . There are some up side to it . Threes are pretty after a snow fall . Makes everything bright and clean white , well for awhile anyways . We that have snow , DON'T have all those nasty poisonous creatures they have in the warmer climates . Cold of winter makes you appreciate the warmer weather more .

Hehe. Ya no mosquitos or earwigs around this time of year. Trees covered in snow, are sorta nice, if I’m inside looking out.
Had to clean the driveway late this afternoon. Pretty well froze to death. Fingers and toes. And John Deere tractor had heated seat.

Come on spring.

Noel.
Blowing snow with the new Cab on the 446 is nice warm and cozy . That with out a heater in it . If the sun is shining , it is down right balmy in there . :giggle:

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:58 pm
by Harry
Great pics Gerry, thanks for posting just to remind us retired folks what it’s like. I worked inside most of my working career but some fab shops were a bit chilly in the dead of winter. I never minded the cold hunting and trapping when I was younger. I remember welding out in the cold repairing snow plows and the like. Now I’m retired and only out in the cold as a necessity, like during the blizzard. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:00 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:21 pm
propane1 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Come on spring.

Noel.
Blowing snow with the new Cab on the 446 is nice warm and cozy . That with out a heater in it . If the sun is shining , it is down right balmy in there . :giggle:
I believe it Dave. Keeping the wind and fine snow off you, is the thing. The couple of times son used the new to him ford tractor with cab, he says, I’m not cold in it. With out the heat on.

Noel

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:57 pm
by MattA
Eugen wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:11 am Sorry to hear you guys! My sign to go in is fingers and toes frozen, as my core temperature is usually fine. I bought a new pair of boots this winter, hoping my feet won't be cold. They are rated to -100C/-148F. Well, my feet were still getting cold yesterday at only -12C/10F. I thought I buy a quality item from Baffin, a Canadian company. :furious: I'm going to make fur inserts.

That's my ramble about cold weather! :D
Makes you wonder if it's the material that's rated to -100C... like the material stays flexible at those temps.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:22 pm
by propane1
Who in their right mind would be out in -100C any way. I wonder who they suckered into testing that out. Hehe. And say, my feet are not cold. Hehehe.

Noel

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:29 am
by Gordy
When working hard outside in -0f range my upper body can be sweating profusely and hands and feet freezing. Use those one time use hand and boot warmers, they do work. Modern electric socks and gloves work well to, BUT don't search for them if you have a weak heart, the better ones are OMG $$$

Now I don't give much credence to online doctors, But if you look up "Ken Berry Iodine" on you tube you will see the commenters are all favorable. For the cold hands and feet he is saying those of us away from the coast lines don't eat enough seafood and are suffering a Iodine deficiency.

You may notice Ken Berry MD is a proponent of the carnivore diet. I am easing out the carbs and feeling better, and in the last 4 week lost 5 pounds. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:05 am
by propane1
Was out last nite at about supper time to clean up the driveway. Sorry, John Deere used again, but, no wind, about -8C. Well my feet and fingers were froze. I was hurting so bad I almost got off the tractor and ran for the garage. But was almost done so I finished it. I was in pain. Was only out 15 minutes or less.

Noel

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:30 am
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:05 am Was out last nite at about supper time to clean up the driveway. Sorry, John Deere used again, but, no wind, about -8C. Well my feet and fingers were froze. I was hurting so bad I almost got off the tractor and ran for the garage. But was almost done so I finished it. I was in pain. Was only out 15 minutes or less.

Noel
Work on that cab Noel , You would be surprised how much of a difference it makes just retaining your own body heat .

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:00 pm
by ras101
Me too... actually never could! Born in the UK where temperatures hovered around 32 degrees at least that what there were when I was born - we followed the F scale back then and 32 degrees was freezing! England though suffered from a couple of inches of snow at best but winds and above all higher humidity that just tore right through you...know the feeling? Even WNY, where I now have lived for 30+ YEARS and the minus days we get, yeah still F does not even compare..

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:52 pm
by propane1
Well I was out again on the same tractor to finish up the snow clearing. Nice day. Didn’t get cold at all. And no heated seat on. Same out fit as yesterday. So I don’t know :106: Spent about 45 minutes clearing the snow, taking my time and engine about 1/2 throttle. Hehe, full throttle and not taking my time yesterday.
Today -1C yesterday about -8C :hm:

Noel

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:40 am
by Eugen
Eat more fat Noel, that's gonna keep you warm always! :)

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:06 am
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:52 pm Well I was out again on the same tractor to finish up the snow clearing. Nice day. Didn’t get cold at all. And no heated seat on. Same out fit as yesterday. So I don’t know :106: Spent about 45 minutes clearing the snow, taking my time and engine about 1/2 throttle. Hehe, full throttle and not taking my time yesterday.

Noel
Difference was the time of day/night . Us old guys get cold easier when tired later in the day . I know I am better earlier in the day as opposed to evening .

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:22 am
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:06 am
propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:52 pm Well I was out again on the same tractor to finish up the snow clearing. Nice day. Didn’t get cold at all. And no heated seat on. Same out fit as yesterday. So I don’t know :106: Spent about 45 minutes clearing the snow, taking my time and engine about 1/2 throttle. Hehe, full throttle and not taking my time yesterday.

Noel
Difference was the time of day/night . Us old guys get cold easier when tired later in the day . I know I am better earlier in the day as opposed to evening .
It was around 5:30 ish on Saturday when I was froze. And Sunday it was between 3:00 and 4:00. So a little difference there.

Noel

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:07 pm
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:40 am Eat more fat Noel, that's gonna keep you warm always! :)
:hm: Eskimo diet ? More fat is also an important part of the Carnivore diet.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:53 am
by propane1
:giggle: :giggle: I thought I was fat enough.

Noel