Furnace oil or diesel.

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Furnace oil or diesel.

Post by propane1 »

What is right to burn in a diesel motor. And if you burn either, do you have to add any additives for summer or winter. Diesel fuel here is $2.35 per litre. Furnace oil is at the self serve place is $1.71. Furnace oil off the delivery truck is $1.80.

Your thoughts please.

Noel :hm:
Timj United States of America

Re: Furnace oil or diesel.

Post by Timj »

Most of the price difference is road tax.
Do you know what the price of off-road diesel is?
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

What do you mean by burn in a diesel motor? Like run a diesel tractor on heating oil? My guess would be that it's not refined enough and it would shorten the life of the engine, if it works at all. But it's just a guess. :114:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Timj wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:34 pm Most of the price difference is road tax.
No I don’t Tim. Marked fuel.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:39 pm What do you mean by burn in a diesel motor? Like run a diesel tractor on heating oil? My guess would be that it's not refined enough and it would shorten the life of the engine, if it works at all. But it's just a guess. :114:
Yes Eugen. Run a diesel motor on furnace/ heating oil.

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

propane1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:52 pm

Noel
Looking local to me, off road diesel is almost a buck a gallon less than road diesel. Heating oil is 20 to 40 cents more than off road.

I would ask the local fuel guy what the difference in their fuel is between heating oil and diesel.
Doing a little research into it the results are variable by location and what additives are added.

Years ago my uncle had a HVAC business, he was doing a lot of oil to gas furnace changes. My dad would help him pump out the oil tanks and we would dispose of the heating oil for him. We mixed it with our off road diesel (25%) and ran it in the drill and backhoe.
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Timj wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 pm
propane1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:52 pm

Noel
Looking local to me, off road diesel is almost a buck a gallon less than road diesel. Heating oil is 20 to 40 cents more than off road.

I would ask the local fuel guy what the difference in their fuel is between heating oil and diesel.
Doing a little research into it the results are variable by location and what additives are added.

Years ago my uncle had a HVAC business, he was doing a lot of oil to gas furnace changes. My dad would help him pump out the oil tanks and we would dispose of the heating oil for him. We mixed it with our off road diesel (25%) and ran it in the drill and backhoe.
:geek: Tim
Years ago I talked with the fuel delivery driver. He said the only difference the additive package for engine fuel.

Keep in mind there are two types of fuel. #1 summer blend, it is heavier oil with more BTU's per gallon. But gels at higher temps than #2 the winter blend that is lighter and has less BTU's.

:cheers:
Gordy
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

When I first had my pole barn built a friend gave me an oil burner. I welded a 3” pipe fitting on the side of a tank and put it on a trailer. People converted over to gas wanted their tanks pumped out so I would go and empty them into my tank on the trailer. Many times people would give me the tank too. At one time I had three 250 gallon oil tanks outside my pole barn. The price of oil went up and people stopped giving it away. That’s when I built the wood furnace and sold the oil furnace. I was always concerned about being stopped for hauling fuel oil. So I put 4’ sides on the trailer so no one could see what was in there. This is my fuel oil ramble this morning. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Harry wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:37 am When I first had my pole barn built a friend gave me an oil burner. I welded a 3” pipe fitting on the side of a tank and put it on a trailer. People converted over to gas wanted their tanks pumped out so I would go and empty them into my tank on the trailer. Many times people would give me the tank too. At one time I had three 250 gallon oil tanks outside my pole barn. The price of oil went up and people stopped giving it away. That’s when I built the wood furnace and sold the oil furnace. I was always concerned about being stopped for hauling fuel oil. So I put 4’ sides on the trailer so no one could see what was in there. This is my fuel oil ramble this morning. :peace: Harry
Haha! Great story Harry!

Well guys, I've learned something today, I had no idea that the "heating oil" is not really an oil, rather it's some sort of thin fuel that burns clean. :geek:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

Harry wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:37 am When I first had my pole barn built a friend gave me an oil burner. I welded a 3” pipe fitting on the side of a tank and put it on a trailer. People converted over to gas wanted their tanks pumped out so I would go and empty them into my tank on the trailer. Many times people would give me the tank too. At one time I had three 250 gallon oil tanks outside my pole barn. The price of oil went up and people stopped giving it away. That’s when I built the wood furnace and sold the oil furnace. I was always concerned about being stopped for hauling fuel oil. So I put 4’ sides on the trailer so no one could see what was in there. This is my fuel oil ramble this morning. :peace: Harry
Hiding it is completely illegal. Lucky there was no incidents. I wanted to move my submarine type propane tank with propane in it; so I contacted the Ministry of Transport (MTO =DOT), and they said it was perfectly fine as long as I displayed signs like explosive and flammable. The signs had to be on all three sides of the trailer and at front of truck. They also said that if the tank already had signs that could be seen it was preferred.

BTW, I've used diesel in an oil heater, but never heating oil in a diesel engine.