Page 1 of 1

What do yas think ?

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:34 am
by propane1
About this tractor. Built between 1983 to 1986. Son is thinking about buying it.
Are they good, so so, or bad. ?

Noel

Re: What do yas think ?

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:19 am
by Spike188
One concern to check out, Is the PTO live? This can be an issue if the PTO stops when the clutch is pushed in. With a live pto attachments will continue to operate and can be started before the tractor is in motion. I have been told that these engines will probably last beyond 5,000 hours. Parts for the Ford/New Holland brand can be hard to find. I learned at the school of hard knocks that parts listed on the internet may not exist and were discontinued years ago. May pick an item like a water pump for that engine and see if it is available.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:36 am
by propane1
It is a geared machine, so the pto is transmission and not live. If it was a hydro, it would be live.
We are use to a transmission pto and how it operates because we have a 1951 tea20 Ferguson tractor which is transmission pto.
Thanks for your response Spike.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:38 am
by JSinMO
I have no knowledge of that tractor, but something in the picture stood out to me. Why do they have the wheel chocked? Wondering if it jumps out of gear, or does it not have brakes? To @Spike188 point, are those parts available. May not be a big deal, I block wheels on my stuff all the time for safety, but might be a question worth asking.

I’m kind of surprised a tractor that new doesn’t have a 2 stage clutch for live PTO.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:56 am
by propane1
Yes I saw that too Jeff. These pictures are at a dealership. So maybe they do that for insurance reasons. Don’t know. Now this tractor was sold from the dealership last year. The person who bought is now selling it. I have seen a video of it blowing snow last year at their place. I have the video. But no idea how to post it.
Spike, water pump shows available, on the new holland web site. But until you have the right part in your hand, it’s hard to say if web site is right.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 am
by DavidBarkey
The tractor was made in Japan . Not saying that is bad , but knowing where it comes from makes getting parts easier . They are still in buisness . Asians seam to be very good at the small stuff and sell world wide .

IHI Shibaura Machinery Corporation or Shibaura is a Japanese agricultural machinery manufacturer owned by IHI Corporation. The company is one of Japan’s leading suppliers of small tractors and diesel engines.

How much do they want for it ?

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:36 pm
by Spike188
I was part of a group that owned a 1980 Yanmar ym240. In 1981 the North American tractors were branded and sold as JD's. I tried to persuade others in the group to stick with the Yanmar as it had many years left in it. The response was that we were spending to much on maintenance. The real maintenance issues were caused by operator damage. Purchasing a JD did not stop the damage issues. Trees don't move, sheet metal does. U-joints snap when the clutch is engaged at full rpm. With the Yanmar, a touch up with a welder or replacing wear items was cheap but getting a new water pump did not happen overnight.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:51 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 am The tractor was made in Japan . Not saying that is bad , but knowing where it comes from makes getting parts easier . They are still in buisness . Asians seam to be very good at the small stuff and sell world wide .

IHI Shibaura Machinery Corporation or Shibaura is a Japanese agricultural machinery manufacturer owned by IHI Corporation. The company is one of Japan’s leading suppliers of small tractors and diesel engines.

How much do they want for it ?
Thanks Dave. I don’t know the price yet Dave. One of those things that a person is selling there tractor, a person I know knows the tractor is for sale. He is supposed to find out a price for us, from the people that own it. Just one of those types of deals. Any way we will find out someday.
What I was told is: when the people, who have it for sale, bought the tractor last year from a dealership, they paid $5000.00 for it. Hard to say if that’s correct. The people bought another tractor with a loader, is the reason this tractor is for sale.

There now, a buying a used tractor ramble. :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:37 pm
by Chad
Hey guys, Noel my grandfather had the same tractor but the hydro version for many years. Had a belly mower for it with a 60" deck I think and he had a tiller too. Also had a 1910 4x4 too, both purchased new together. I have lots of memories driving and mowing with it as a kid. He had the 1210 and 1910 for probably 20 years before trading in. Many hours on each (can't recall how many) but I remember him doing a valve adjustment on the 1910 around year 15 and being amazed how little wear was on the engine, and he worked those machines almost everyday, lots of PTO work too. But he was a stickler for maintenance so that can make all the difference.

Spike makes a good point regarding parts, but hopefully most can still be sourced reliably.

Lots of nice features on that one, price seems fair if nothing major needs attention I'd say.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:04 am
by Eugen
It is a bad tractor Noel! If you buy it don't keep it, send it to me! :giggle:

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:04 am
by Timj
I see a few of them around here that look like they get used but haven't really heard much about them. I see them for sale once in a while and they seem to sell quickly but I think the compact tractors are what people really want now, for a while it was the little old tractors; people were paying crazy money for 8n's.
Though its quite a bit newer, our NH 1510 with the Shibaura engine has been a descent little tractor.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:37 am
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:04 am It is a bad tractor Noel! If you buy it don't keep it, send it to me! :giggle:
Well Eugen. I’ll keep that in mind. :giggle: :giggle: But. You never know, you have a loader tractor your going to sell. :giggle: :hm: :hm: :giggle:

Noel :D

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:35 pm
by propane1
So son is buying this tractor. We feel it’s a reasonable tractor. We know it runs. And we saw it blowing snow.

So, yas pays yer money and take yers chances. Don’t matter what you buy. :hm:

Noel :42:

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:35 pm
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:35 pm So son is buying this tractor. We feel it’s a reasonable tractor. We know it runs. And we saw it blowing snow.

So, yas pays yer money and take yers chances. Don’t matter what you buy. :hm:

Noel :42:
Lets know how get on with it . It looks like it will be a good tractor for you guys . Hope it was well maintained .

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:34 pm
by JSinMO
Tell him congratulations! :highfive:
It’s a nice looking tractor, I hope it’s a good one!
If something isn’t right I have no doubt you guys can fix it! If not I’m sure we all can put our heads together and come up with something! Im looking forward to some more pictures and the story on how it runs! :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:38 pm
by Spike188
My experience with the 79 model Yanmar YM240 was great. We did have problems with the PTO shaft twisting inside the transmission. Even with an overrun clutch installed on the mower pto, a shock load wasn't absorbed with sudden travel direction changes. When mowing a steep bank by climbing it, then cluthing and coasting back to the bottom the PTO would grab. Memory fads on the exact cause. I do remember pulling the transmission cover, pulling output shaft, then zip grinding the splines in the twisted area enough to allow engagement/disengagement of the pto.

If not for a conflict of interest, it would have found a home here when the JD took its place.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:49 pm
by Eugen
Happy for your son Noel, I think he got a nice tractor! :cheers:

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:23 pm
by propane1
We picked her up today. To cold out to really play with it much. Has a foot throttle. I like that. Went thru a couple of froze snow banks put there by another thrower, only a foot high. But she had no trouble at all moving them.
It needs stuff fixed up. And the more you look, the more you see.
Any way. We will get a better look at it Saturday. She’s got a strange set up for a blower.
The winch can be used as an air compressor. I doubt that part works.

Noel

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 am
by propane1
Quite a set of lights on it.

Noel

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:47 am
by DavidBarkey
Those light are bright . Higher up sure spreads it out to . You got any close ups of those lights ? Looks like the ones I have been using from PA . and they through a ton of light .

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:48 am
by Eugen
Nice to have those lights blowing snow at night!

What size wheels at the back?

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:42 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:48 am Nice to have those lights blowing snow at night!

What size wheels at the back?
Same as 400 series Case. 8-16 Eugen.

Noel

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:55 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:47 am Those light are bright . Higher up sure spreads it out to . You got any close ups of those lights ? Looks like the ones I have been using from PA . and they through a ton of light .
I’ll get a picture for you Dave. Maybe tomorrow. Son wants to play with it in the garage, just looking at it and changing the oil and stuff. So I’ll have to see if I get there. Truck acted up today and not drivable. Runs. But not drivable. Electric trouble. Not mechanical. Far as I can figure. I’m sorta thinking converters. But son doesn’t think so. Over drive on and off light flashing in dash. Start it up and it’s hunting a bit on idle. Put into drive, hold brake on, push on gas pedal, gets to 1500 rpm and starts missing. And no difference if push gas pedal all the way to floor. Any way, he will take some kind of tool with him some time and check codes. Right on the coldest weekend of the year too. Figures aye. Hehe.

Jumpin. Quite a ramble. Nothin to do with the lights on the tractor. Hehe.

Noel

Found a picture Dave.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:29 pm
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:55 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:47 am Those light are bright . Higher up sure spreads it out to . You got any close ups of those lights ? Looks like the ones I have been using from PA . and they through a ton of light .
I’ll get a picture for you Dave. Maybe tomorrow. Son wants to play with it in the garage, just looking at it and changing the oil and stuff. So I’ll have to see if I get there. Truck acted up today and not drivable. Runs. But not drivable. Electric trouble. Not mechanical. Far as I can figure. I’m sorta thinking converters. But son doesn’t think so. Over drive on and off light flashing in dash. Start it up and it’s hunting a bit on idle. Put into drive, hold brake on, push on gas pedal, gets to 1500 rpm and starts missing. And no difference if push gas pedal all the way to floor. Any way, he will take some kind of tool with him some time and check codes. Right on the coldest weekend of the year too. Figures aye. Hehe.

Noel

Found a picture Dave.
I got one of those obd2 little things that plugs into the car and an app on the phone tells me all codes, and I can clear codes. Really handy to have for $20.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:57 pm
by DavidBarkey

Noel

Found a picture Dave.
Ya those are the same one I have , stupid bright . Only down side is because they are such a bright white makes blowing snow look light whiteouts . As for your truck . If your OD lite is flashing there is a sensor failure somewhere . Based on the rest of the description I would say it has something to do with the Drive by wire system . Either the peddle or throttle body . The misfire is the system in limp mode . Firth thing to check is that the air snorkel and pcv hoses are all on tight ,and not chewed by critters . Failing that scan it for codes , see what you get .

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:19 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:57 pm

Noel

Found a picture Dave.
Ya those are the same one I have , stupid bright . Only down side is because they are such a bright white makes blowing snow look light whiteouts . As for your truck . If your OD lite is flashing there is a sensor failure somewhere . Based on the rest of the description I would say it has something to do with the Drive by wire system . Either the peddle or throttle body . The misfire is the system in limp mode . Firth thing to check is that the air snorkel and pcv hoses are all on tight ,and not chewed by critters . Failing that scan it for codes , see what you get .
Thanks Dave. Son may check it this evening. told him to wait for warmer day, I don't have to have it right away. But he might show up. -14C now and 50 kilometer winds, wind chill -25C.

Ya lights are bright. Incandescent bulbs would be better in the snow and not high wattage ones.

Noel

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:28 pm
by JSinMO
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:57 pm

Noel

Found a picture Dave.
I just had a similar issue with a 3/4 ton Ford van at work. Started and idle ok but as soon as you step on the gas it would fall on its face and die. Check engine light on. Turned out to be what Dave said, throttle body.
Hope you get it figured out quick and stay out of the cold

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:50 pm
by propane1
This is the winch on the Ford tractor, that my son bought. Kind of a different one. It operates the chute turning. But It’s a winch/air compressor. Unlock the cable spool, lock in the gear for the compressor and pump away.

Noel

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:30 pm
by RoamingGnome
That is an interesting concept! Cdn Tire actually has a product listing for it, (But none in stock) and a quick google search for winch / air compressor combo didn't really show anything else - not even Amazooom....
winch.jpg
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3-00 ... 5955p.html

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:24 pm
by JSinMO
I like that, don’t know if I’ve seen a winch/compressor combo before. Does the compressor work? That might have to be modified to be removable. Would be kinda handy to put on a different machine for summer use!

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:42 pm
by Eugen
That is cool. Reminds me of the VCR and TV combo :D

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:41 am
by DavidBarkey
Looks like a great idea for an off road vehicle . But the reviews are few and bad . Looks like a case of great idea poorly executed .

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:20 am
by propane1
Compressor runs. Because the previous owner had it set to run the chute and air at the same time. Don’t know if it pumps air or not. The quick coupler all rusted up. May replace it some day and see if it pumps air. It surely is not a big compressor. Just neat, never saw one before.

Noel

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:12 am
by RoamingGnome
Hmmm... Chima winches - wonder what their country of origin is ? :rofl:

Hint: - https://www.chimawinch.com/About-Us.html

They list both an air compressor/winch and a powerwasher/winch combo on their web page interesting idea for Farm usage or cleaning up your ATV after a day on the trails...