Page 1 of 1

Messing around in the shop

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:01 pm
by JSinMO
I spent some time in the shop today. Went ahead and mounted the tires for Herbie the truck. Partly to see how they look but mostly to get them off the floor!
DBEE68E1-92BB-4E57-A0AA-15B5CB4524C3.jpeg

I know you didn’t ask, but just for future reference 12 ply truck tires are a pain to mount by hand!
:smash:

So as of now they are saying it’s going to get butt cold around here, I’ve seen a forecast of the low around -4F with a high of 4F with snow for Christmas. Definitely a little early for that kind of cold around here. We’ll see if it happens.

With the call for snow I figured I’d move the 648 out of the shop to make room for the 446 to be ready to plow if needed.
DD035D7B-768E-43A7-B8F6-E89C4D74F74B.jpeg
I know this is purely psychological but I can’t help it!
I went ahead and taped it. I think big brother might be jealous!
FF4C9279-3EF6-423E-8A46-CFDE19C95BAF.jpeg
I’ve noticed the more we use the 648 the more cylinders start leaking. It’s not going to be long before I’m going to be replacing a lot of seals. :109: I guess I can’t complain though, the tractor did sit out for 10 years before we got it.

Hopefully moving the 446 into the shop will help it start and be ready to go
42C203FD-6FF9-42C1-A645-1E2E63CF071D.jpeg

Re: Messing around in the shop

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:16 pm
by Timj
Good to be ready for snow, sometimes it scares it away. And if not at least you are not out trying to dig stuff out. :thumbsup:
They were talking about that cold being here for this week but keep bumping the temps up, hope they're right. :please:
Those big tires are fun. I didn't hear any foul language on the breeze. :rofl:

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:13 pm
by JSinMO
Timj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:16 pm Those big tires are fun. I didn't hear any foul language on the breeze. :rofl:
The wind must have been blowing the wrong direction! :rofl:

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:27 pm
by Timj
JSinMO wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:13 pm
Timj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:16 pm Those big tires are fun. I didn't hear any foul language on the breeze. :rofl:
Yes, it was NW. :107: :rofl:
They were dangerous and not many will work on them anymore :114: but once you got the old tires off the old split rims :cuss: the new went on easy. :106:

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:38 pm
by JSinMO
Timj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:27 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:13 pm
Yes, it was NW. :107: :rofl:
They were dangerous and not many will work on them anymore :114: but once you got the old tires off the old split rims :cuss: the new went on easy. :106:

I couldn’t find any one that wanted to mess with them, but the plan is to get the old tires off and save the old split rims for the centers. Then at some point in the future possibly follow what @Jancoe did and put them in 22.5 hoops. That may or may not ever happen. Just depends on how much we use the truck and how these 19.5 tires do. That 5 on 8 bolt patter is tough to find so I’m at least hanging on to them!

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:37 am
by Eugen
You're a brave man to mount 12 ply tires by hand! :highfive:

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:26 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:37 am You're a brave man to mount 12 ply tires by hand! :highfive:
Well Mark Twain said all you need is ignorance and confidence and success is sure! I would add to that a strong back and the vocabulary of a sailor on shore leave!
:D

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:17 pm
by JSinMO
I made the executive decision to try to move Herbie the truck into the shop to continue to work on it. Working in the cold plus having the truck jacked up in the dirt didn’t thrill me. I told my wife I was going to rearrange the garage to fit a couple of tractors in to make room :107: :fight: It amazes me that after all the things I’ve worked on, build, moved, etc, sometimes she still thinks I have no idea what I’m doing! :headbash: I feel that some of you can probably relate, but I hope not! :D
Well after giving her blueprints with detail drawings and measurements I can finally get going!
AC67D11A-5C54-4C10-9CB3-B78BE72CE367.jpeg
C41057B6-9E4E-402A-AF9B-67A514ED03B0.jpeg
I was able to move 2 tractors and our zero turn mower into the garage and still get the cars in! She said “sometimes you amaze me!” I said thank you, but after all this time I’d have thought you would just figure I know what I’m doing! Oh well!

I think it took longer to clean up the shop than it did to move stuff! Seems like I blink and it’s dirty again. The truck just fits with enough room to work and for the 446 to park should I need to move snow.
FFE1E61B-9E75-41A4-BBEE-708448F9938D.jpeg
34614804-F6C9-4323-BD4D-1F5476D55E71.jpeg
That’s enough for me today, I guess the next step will be getting the brakes apart to see if I can rebuild the wheel cylinders.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:21 pm
by Timj
:rofl: :rofl: blue prints and detailed plans you say :worship: :clap: I'll have to remember that. :thumbsup: do not feel alone :wife: :124:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:11 pm
by DavidBarkey
image.png
image.png
image.png
:rofl:

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm
by Eugen
Soooo much room Jeff! Awesome!

As for :wife: , mine perhaps is at the opposite spectrum. She is somewhat shocked when I say I think I can't do something. I don't know what kind of superman she thinks I am, but I feel the pressure. :)) Sometimes I think out loud and say something like "I don't know how to do xyz" and she looks at me like I fell from Mars. Then she gives me "a solution." The other day I said I'm not sure how to lock the big loader up safely so I can start working on it. She says "lift it up and tie it to the back, you got all those chains sitting there." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rolleye: not a bad idea, if only I lived in a cartoon world. But then I thought, maybe it's not such a crazy idea, so what if I tie the loader to the backhoe? Yeah... no. :109:

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:04 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Soooo much room Jeff! Awesome!

As for :wife: , mine perhaps is at the opposite spectrum. She is somewhat shocked when I say I think I can't do something. I don't know what kind of superman she thinks I am, but I feel the pressure. :)) Sometimes I think out loud and say something like "I don't know how to do xyz" and she looks at me like I fell from Mars. Then she gives me "a solution." The other day I said I'm not sure how to lock the big loader up safely so I can start working on it. She says "lift it up and tie it to the back, you got all those chains sitting there." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rolleye: not a bad idea, if only I lived in a cartoon world. But then I thought, maybe it's not such a crazy idea, so what if I tie the loader to the backhoe? Yeah... no. :109:

Thanks. You know how it is, you never have enough room but I feel really lucky to have the shop space! I’m hoping you can “get under roof” before too long!

I shouldn’t complain, I really do have a good wife. Sometimes thought :pullhair: ! :rofl:
Your wife did have a plausible idea. I’ve certainly chained up hydraulics many time to drag a non running piece of equipment around, I just wouldn’t trust it enough to get under it with just a chain holding it up! At least she tried! :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 am
by Harry
I have found sometimes my :wife: has good ideas, but I have also found it’s hard to work with her. My Dad always told me I am a person who likes to do things by my self. Sometimes for me figuring out how to do a project by myself is half the challenge and half the pleasure upon completion. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:20 pm
by JSinMO
Today’s shenanigans were on our Kawasaki Mule. The new battery I just put in it is dead. I put a meter on it last week and it’s not charging. Like most of the machines we have around the place this one did not run when we got it. It had an electrical fire so when I got it home I fixed all the wiring and it’s been a great machine for at least 5 years now.
Since the shop has Herbie the truck in it I worked on this in the garage. The 446 is my tool caddy for the day, it is handy to have around!
A222E91E-E15D-459D-A7AD-9FE2ADADBA31.jpeg
I hooked up the battery charger and I started with the easiest thing first.

Fuses test ok.

Connection for the wires from the stator test ok.

Connection at the voltage regulator tests ok.

Switch tests ok.

4A4B79E7-F0E2-43A0-99F4-59C92628008A.jpeg
What the heck? :hm: I’m not seeing an issue. So with the battery now charged I thought I’d start it and check voltage from the stator. Now I have no power to anything! :109:
So back to rechecking the wires again and what do you know I found a bad connection just past one of the fuses!
B813845B-60F9-4B95-B92F-1352D96C4236.jpeg
Fixed the connection, put everything back together, started it up and now it’s charging like it should! :thumbsup:
3B7CD305-6A93-48F2-9C92-7A53041757C4.jpeg
I get the sinking feeling I’m not done with this but I guess we’ll see. I’m not convinced that bad connection was the issue, or that it was just a poor connection that I cleaned up at the stator or voltage regulator :109: :106:

So ends another “Fun” day in the shop!

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:30 pm
by Eugen
Sometimes,Jeff, you gotta go with blind faith and feel good about finding one issue and fixing it. Sounds like you had some fun in the shop!

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:41 pm
by JSinMO
I haven’t put a lot of thought into this, but how come why is it this stupid tire looses air in the winter? I changed the shader valve made no difference. It won’t loose a pound in the warm months but every winter it slowly looses air. :106:
I haven’t soap tested it in a while, maybe the valve I put in is old and dry that wouldn’t be too surprising.
ADA1BF08-E92A-4F96-A368-2278E0277527.jpeg
It’s not very high on the priority list right now just kind of confounding. I came into the shop this morning and here it is low again

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:16 pm
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO Dude you must put winter air in there . Summer air just shrivels up in the cold temps . You know cold weather shrinkage.
:O
:rofl:
Honestly , it is most likely a rim leak due to the old rubber being hard . When it gets cold out the rim will shrink more than the rubber and with the rubber being hard from age and cold the seal at the rim is compromised . When it warms up out , take it off break the bead and lube with silicone grease . Air up with all season air and you will be all set .

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:26 pm
by Eugen
That's gotta be annoying @JSinMO ! This was happening on the front wheel of my 444 and I got really tired of it. :headbash: Hope you figure it out soon enough! :cheers:

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:30 pm
by JSinMO
I should have mentioned it has a tube in it. That’s why I’m thinking it’s still the valve.

@DavidBarkey You may be right about that summer air shrinking. I have to do something about this, I can’t afford any more shrinkage! :43: :rofl:

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:45 pm
by Eugen
You guys have me laughing here out loud!

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:47 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:30 pm I should have mentioned it has a tube in it. That’s why I’m thinking it’s still the valve.

@DavidBarkey You may be right about that summer air shrinking. I have to do something about this, I can’t afford any more shrinkage! :43: :rofl:
There is a tool for cleaning the area that the valve seats on . Try that with a another new valve core .

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:18 am
by Eugen
@DavidBarkey what is that tool? Qtip? :wave:

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:15 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:18 am @DavidBarkey what is that tool? Qtip? :wave:
No, but that kind of idea . I use to have one in my box . Have no idea where it went . Anyways it is a hard plastic rod that is tapered at the end to match where the valve core seats . The point is to rub off anything stuck to the seat area in the stem where the valve core body seals .Could be a bit of corrosion or debree or a bit of the old seal . A piece of dowel would work to .
Tractor tires usually run a lower air pressure . These valve cores are better for that IMO . Plus alow for faster filling large tires .
image.png

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:47 am
by JSinMO
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:15 am
Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:18 am @DavidBarkey what is that tool? Qtip? :wave:
No, but that kind of idea . I use to have one in my box . Have no idea where it went . Anyways it is a hard plastic rod that is tapered at the end to match where the valve core seats . The point is to rub off anything stuck to the seat area in the stem where the valve core body seals .Could be a bit of corrosion or debree or a bit of the old seal . A piece of dowel would work to .
Tractor tires usually run a lower air pressure . These valve cores are better for that IMO . Plus alow for faster filling large tires .
image.png
Thank Dave! I don’t think I’ve seen that tool before, but I see what you’re saying about using a dowel. I have no idea what core is in it now, might have to look into that. I think I usually run around 10 to 12 psi.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:06 pm
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:47 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:15 am
image.png
Thank Dave! I don’t think I’ve seen that tool before, but I see what you’re saying about using a dowel. I have no idea what core is in it now, might have to look into that. I think I usually run around 10 to 12 psi.
I looked online and could not find it . Not something used anymore , I guess .

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:42 pm
by RoamingGnome
I did a quick double check on the description of this tool...
Screenshot_20230305-185103.png
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vict ... s#store=45

It does say that it will ream the inside valve seat - I would guess a plastic tool would probably be gentler though

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:22 pm
by Eugen
RoamingGnome wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:42 pm I did a quick double check on the description of this tool...

It does say that it will ream the inside valve seat - I would guess a plastic tool would probably be gentler though
Interesting, I got this tool in a kit of valve related tools, a while ago.

6BB0F4DC-A457-46AF-B904-3227851D04FD.jpeg
Had no idea what the ribbed pointy things were for. Thank you!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:08 am
by DavidBarkey
RoamingGnome wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:42 pm I did a quick double check on the description of this tool...

Yes but you can easily go to far and ruin it , then in case of a tube need to have a new stem put on (I don't know anyone doing that any more) or replace the tube . The other end cleans the threads so the core will seat down properly .

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 am
by RoamingGnome
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:08 am Yes but you can easily go to far and ruin it , then in case of a tube need to have a new stem put on (I don't know anyone doing that any more) or replace the tube . The other end cleans the threads so the core will seat down properly .
Thanks Dave! Good cautionary note about being careful when cleaning sealing surfaces... especially on an inner tube.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:35 pm
by JSinMO
Thought I’d update my tractor tire troubles! I confirmed the leak is in the valve stem. It’s pretty crappy, but I cleaned it up the best I could and got the leak to stop. Then I put a better quality cap on. That was on March 5th and the tire hasn’t lost air since!
438899A2-B4ED-4C83-9779-21D87A51533D.jpeg
9BA62C5E-10FB-4C5C-9B64-46485A9ACE66.jpeg
I decided not to mess with it too much. If the valve stem strips out or breaks then I’d have to break the tire down and replace the tube, and I don’t wanna if I don’t have too! So we’re calling it good for now! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:27 pm
by Eugen
That's a good save Jeff! Glad it didn't get complicated. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:28 pm
by DavidBarkey
Good quality valve cap will seal a leaky valve up to 40lbs

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:04 pm
by JSinMO
Well it’s time to get ready for for spring and summer. Let the oil changes and greasing begin!
5E672B16-C1A4-4931-93F0-0784F55AF498.jpeg
71B72417-EB0E-4C1D-B3F1-6A1F6FC1D624.jpeg
The mule and mower are ready to go! Oiled, greased, and air filters cleaned. Plan is to do the first mow of the season tomorrow. Still have a lot of tractors and equipment to go over, but I’ll get there.
Just some nice time spent in the shop looking forward!

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:30 pm
by JSinMO
I pulled the JD sickle mower around the other day. The sun pop back out so I started working on it this afternoon.
IMG_3532.jpeg
I broke the wooden pitman arm on it last year. You used to be able to stop at any farm store and pick one up, not any more. I guess it’s too old now. I found one online but the shipping cost more that the piece of wood! :headbash:
So as much as I hated to do it I stopped by the John Deere dealership to see if they had one. Thankfully there were a couple of old guys behind the counter that knew what a #37 mower is. Of course it had to be ordered but they did get it and the price was less that online. I think this one might be hard maple, but I’m not sure.
IMG_3527.jpeg
Since it looks like it’s going to a pain to get one in the future I decided to just keep it and use it as a pattern to make some. I had a couple of pieces of cherry wood that I cut some blanks from. My wood working is pretty crude but we’ll see how it works!
IMG_3552.jpeg

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:27 pm
by Timj
JSinMO wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:30 pm I pulled the JD sickle mower around the other day. The sun pop back out so I started working on it this afternoon.
IMG_3532.jpeg
I broke the wooden pitman arm on it last year. You used to be able to stop at any farm store and pick one up, not any more. I guess it’s too old now. I found one online but the shipping cost more that the piece of wood! :headbash:
So as much as I hated to do it I stopped by the John Deere dealership to see if they had one. Thankfully there were a couple of old guys behind the counter that knew what a #37 mower is. Of course it had to be ordered but they did get it and the price was less that online. I think this one might be hard maple, but I’m not sure.
IMG_3527.jpeg

Since it looks like it’s going to a pain to get one in the future I decided to just keep it and use it as a pattern to make some. I had a couple of pieces of cherry wood that I cut some blanks from. My wood working is pretty crude but we’ll see how it works!
IMG_3552.jpeg
Good thinking. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:44 pm
by JSinMO
I had this old chain that I found buried in the ground. It was quite rusty but otherwise ok. Since I had a used bucket of oil from the rear end of the truck, I threw it in! Don’t know if it helped or just made a bigger mess!
IMG_3563.jpeg
I tided it up and let it drip dry. We’ll see if it’s usable.

I put my homemade cobbled pitman stick on the sickle mower. It looks like crap but it functions, we’ll see how long it lasts. I had a couple of other parts out on the bar I had to replace too.
IMG_3564.jpeg
I needed a tractor to be able to test it so I went down and got the Super H out of winter storage. This tractor is still on a 6 volt system and I’ve done nothing with it since December. I was shocked, it started right up! Didn’t even need to charged the battery! I ran it up to the shop and checked it over and greased it up.
IMG_3565.jpeg
I took the mower and made a pass so far it working. The true test will be when I get into some thick stuff.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:46 pm
by Eugen
Sounds like a whole lot of fun Jeff. And look at that sunshine! We're having a few days of rain here.

Good find that chain. You can never have enough chains I say. Maybe you try electrolysis rust removal? :D

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 am
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO Why is the pitman arm would when the rest is steel ?

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:58 am
by JSinMO
@Eugen I should have thought of that! :30: this would have been the perfect piece to try out electrolysis.
I guess I’ll see how this does. I suppose I can always put the juice to it!

@DavidBarkey The pitman arm is a designed fail point. A lot of the old machines were made that way. It has to be strong enough to handle mowing heavy grass, but weak enough to break if the mower get into a hard bind so the cutting bar or eccentric aren’t damaged.

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:53 pm
by JSinMO
Well the cavalcade of equipment getting ready for spring and summer continues! A few jugs of oil, a half can of lube, and what seems like about a 1000 grease fittings and just like that this stuff is ready to go! :thumbsup:
Woke the 1939 M up from its winter nap and brought the baler in.
IMG_3579.jpeg
Went over tractor and machine and I think we’re finally ready to try and make some bales! Just waiting on the weather now to test it out.
Figured I might as well go over the old hay rake while I’m at it.
IMG_3580.jpeg
It’s pretty wore out but it still makes a good windrow.
It’s ground driven, some big gears and chain make it go.
IMG_3585.jpeg
Next the old tiller got a going over. Two pulls of the rope and away it went!
IMG_3581.jpeg
Looks like our night time temperatures will stay in the 50s or above so I’ll be tilling and planting the garden pretty quick here.

And hey one more to go over today. Just like the M and the tiller this guy has been sleeping for awhile. And just like the others it fired right up. I sure do love easy starting equipment!
IMG_3582.jpeg
Went over it with grease air and oil everything seems good other than the leaky cylinder seals I still have to fix! :109:
The 648 woke up and had to stretch a little bit!
IMG_3584.jpeg
Turned out to be quite a productive and enjoyable day in the shop!

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:40 am
by RoamingGnome
Looks like you had an interesting and productive day :highfive:
...and open face gears - That brings back some memories of working on old Link Belt crawler cranes...
didn't think I'd ever get that sticky black open face gear lube off me :cuss:

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:23 am
by Eugen
Fun day eh? Which cylinder is leaking on the 648?

You have a pretty big garden, you till it all with the walk behind tiller?

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:59 am
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:23 am Fun day eh? Which cylinder is leaking on the 648?

You have a pretty big garden, you till it all with the walk behind tiller?
All of them! :109: :cuss: :headbash: actually at this point the cylinders on the hoe can wait. It’s the loader and power steering cylinders on the front that are leaking bad and draining my oil tank.

I do till it all with a walk behind. I had a bigger walk behind but the engine finally gave up, haven’t come across a new one yet. It beats doing it all with a hoe! Although now that I have the 446 maybe I’ll come across a tiller for it.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:18 am
by Eugen
I don't know about you but leaking oil is one of those things that bothers me quite a bit! The good news is that the loader cylinders are quite easy to deal with when you decide to tackle them! :cheers:

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:33 pm
by JSinMO
A beautiful evening to hangout in the shop. I decided to try and finish up my adjustments and replace the broken pick up teeth on the baler.
I tried to use the 446 to bring it in, but it’s way to heavy. I broke the hitch I made for the 3 point :30: now I can see how crappy my weld was. :109: Oh well I’ll bang it back in place and weld it again!
IMG_3641.jpeg
IMG_3639.jpeg
I think I’m just about ready to try to make some more hay! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:57 am
by Eugen
Makes me wonder if there's a weight limits for the 3pth. Weld it again and it'll be fine! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:36 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:57 am Makes me wonder if there's a weight limits for the 3pth. Weld it again and it'll be fine! :thumbsup:
Good question. I don’t know the answer, but I have to think these three points could handle 700 to 1000 lbs. It might handle the weight of that baler. I move it with my pickup and it does squat it a bit, but I knew I was surpassing my welding ability! :D I stuck it back together today, we’ll see how long it lasts this time!

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:54 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:57 am Makes me wonder if there's a weight limits for the 3pth. Weld it again and it'll be fine! :thumbsup:
I was moving stuff around so I could mow behind the barn where I have my equipment parked. I was moving the trailers with the drawbar on the 4118. This 20' trailer was about all the 3pt could lift, then it picked the front off the ground. :109:
KIMG0716.JPG
Probably won't try it again unless it's totally empty. :114:

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:44 am
by dhitching
Timj wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:54 pm I was moving stuff around so I could mow behind the barn where I have my equipment parked. I was moving the trailers with the drawbar on the 4118. This 20' trailer was about all the 3pt could lift, then it picked the front off the ground. :109:
I have to say my 6018 moves trailers around much better than my 4020 did hahaha. The 4020 was a wheelie machine with a big trailer on the back, I'd sit backwards on the hood and drive it like a forklift to keep the front end down! :)) The short wheelbase and the extra weight up front definitely makes the 6018 and its 3pt my vehicle of choice when moving my 4500lb car hauler around the driveway, very maneuverable!

With a small trailer the 4020 looks cute though, so I use it anyways, even if it's not the beefiest machine.
image.png
The 6018 has a bit higher pressure relief on the lift circuit, but I've lifted enough with the 3pt to need a scoop of dirt in the bucket to keep the front end down! I can't speak for the J26 style hitches but the HH34 at least is a very stout unit.
:j

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:13 pm
by JSinMO
I quickly cleaned up my crappy weld and hopefully applied a less crappy one to my homemade C channel hitch. After seeing the stuff @Timj and @dhitching are dragging around i had the confidence to see it work a little!
IMG_3650.jpeg
IMG_3651.jpeg
No problems, pulls fine. I’m sure I’ll overload it again at some point! :109: :rofl:

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:39 pm
by Harry
I started today fabricating a framework for two Brinley disc’s. I repurposed some three inch channel from a motor home back rack from my brother. More to come as project progresses. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:31 pm
by JSinMO
Nice project @Harry

I’m looking forward to seeing the progress! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:13 am
by Harry
PPE for the day. Lots to do and you have to protect yourself. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:00 am
by Harry
I finally completed the frame work and assembled it. I tried to disc but the dirt was still wet and and kept sticking between the discs. It still needs some fine tuning. It’s supposed to be in the 80’s this coming week so I know it will dry up. This is the first attempt to use the 646 since the repower. Honda seemed to run strong. I noticed if I lowered the disc to much the relief would kick in at about 2000 psi. A work in progress. I’ll keep everyone posted. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:06 am
by Eugen
@Harry , very nice! Is discing something you do normally in the garden? I thought you had a tiller, I'm still learning about the garden so I'm curious how you do things. :cheers:

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:12 am
by Eugen
Harry wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:13 am PPE for the day. Lots to do and you have to protect yourself. :peace: Harry
Safety first! I need to get in the habit to wear a mask especially while cleaning rust. Do you wear your mask while welding?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:21 am
by DavidBarkey
@Harry google "disk harrow scrapers" That will fix the sticking and will allow you to turn the soil when wetter .

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:40 pm
by JSinMO
I pulled the old wagon around this morning. Not sure if I’ll use while making hay, but I figured I’d use it more as a flatbed so it’s better than just letting it sit.
IMG_3667.jpeg
A few bolts and a couple of chains to take apart and now it’s a flatbed!
IMG_3668.jpeg
IMG_3669.jpeg
The 446 can pull it around no problem but my 3 point swings too much it’s really tearing up the tires. I’m think I need to make a sway bar.
IMG_3671.jpeg
I think the 446 and Super H look pretty good together!
IMG_3670.jpeg

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:49 pm
by JSinMO
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:21 am @Harry google "disk harrow scrapers" That will fix the sticking and will allow you to turn the soil when wetter .
@Harry i agree with Mr Dave about adding scrapers. If you want to use the disc in the mean time before you can add the scrapers here is the old farmers fix to keep the mud from sticking.
IMG_3672.jpeg
Just a piece of wire between the blades, not pretty but functional!

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:25 pm
by Harry
Eugen wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:06 am @Harry , very nice! Is discing something you do normally in the garden? I thought you had a tiller, I'm still learning about the garden so I'm curious how you do things. :cheers:
I usually rototill Eugen. Last fall was the first year I plowed, so I thought I would try discing this spring. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:31 pm
by Harry
Eugen wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:12 am
Harry wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:13 am PPE for the day. Lots to do and you have to protect yourself. :peace: Harry
Safety first! I need to get in the habit to wear a mask especially while cleaning rust. Do you wear your mask while welding?
Eugen, when I stick weld most of the time I wear a mask. When I Mig and Tig weld I usually do not. When I do grinding I wear one. Today I was making a tongue for a lawn aerator to pull it with my lawn tractor. It was just a few welds so I didn’t use a mask. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:15 pm
by Spike188
If I learned nothing else during covid, it is that mask should have been part of my tool chest years ago. A short list of reasons is, metal grinding dust, welding smoke, tool grinding cutting mist, saw dust, farts, feild dust while driving tractor, cotton fiber dust,. All of these are byproducts produced in various professions I have spent huge amounts of time in. Coming home from work with a clean nose is a joy.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:23 pm
by JSinMO
Nice summer evening for me and son to mess around in the shop.
My little tiller has gotten to where it won’t run unless the choke is on full.
IMG_3843.jpeg
This is a little 5HP Briggs&Stratton. I pulled carb and cleaned it out. Now it runs with out the choke. We’ll see how long it lasts.
I had an old rusty machete I gave to son. He cleaned it up and painted it. He did a fine job!
IMG_3846.jpeg
I couldn’t get a picture but right about dark we had a couple of bats flying around us! First time I’ve seen them around here. They are quite acrobatic!

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:48 am
by RoamingGnome
Bats (when they are outside your house) are quite cool to watch - certainly help with mosquito control.

It's been a few years now, but we had a string of late night incidents of bats flying around inside the house... nothing like being woken up at 3am on a work day by the cat crashing around the house trying to catch a "flying mouse" - Dad gave us a butterfly net from the dollar store one year, it proved to be the best way to catch and release the little guys...

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:57 am
by Eugen
@JSinMO sound like indeed that was a great evening working on light projects. Must be making you feel good to see junior working on stuff with you. I know myself hope to see my two boys do stuff like this with me in the future. :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:53 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:57 am @JSinMO sound like indeed that was a great evening working on light projects. Must be making you feel good to see junior working on stuff with you. I know myself hope to see my two boys do stuff like this with me in the future. :thumbsup:
I really does make me happy to see him working on projects. I’m sure your boys will be out there with you too!

I tried the tiller out today and no choke needed! The engine does want to surge and hunt a little bit but I got good results!
IMG_3847.jpeg

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:17 pm
by Eugen
That soil looks very well tilled Jeff!!! excuse the grammar :D

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:09 pm
by JSinMO
Well the cavalcade of rusty gold continues! Tonight I went and picked up a John Deere #39 sickle mower, some assembly required. :43: :109: :D.
IMG_3956.jpeg
I intend to try to get it working again and try it on the 2N Ford for 2nd cut hay. If it’s too far gone for that it still has a lot of good parts to keep my # 38 mower running so either way it’s a win! :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:16 pm
by Eugen
Jeff, I love it! You must have some big magnet in your truck, all that iron keeps following you home! :rofl: well done! I'll tell my :wife: all the cool kids are doing it, I want that too!

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:45 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:16 pm Jeff, I love it! You must have some big magnet in your truck, all that iron keeps following you home! :rofl: well done! I'll tell my :wife: all the cool kids are doing it, I want that too!
:rofl: :rofl: Your right there has been quite a few things that followed me home here of late! I just keep stumbling into these situations where people just want this old stuff gone and I just can’t say no! Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one that sees value in these antiques, so if you want some rusty gold too I say come on in the waters fine! :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:53 pm
by Eugen
I would if I could! :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:25 am
by Harry
Free stuff is never a bad situation. Some of it I try to sell at a later date and get a few bucks for to then buy some more tractor parts. My :wife: will complain about buying something. I just tell her the money not coming out of her purse. :8: :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:44 pm
by JSinMO
It’s a muggy, sticky, steamy August night, the perfect time to turn on the fans and spend some time in the shop!
IMG_3961.jpeg
Good grief we’re about fullup in here.

The disassembly of the “new” sickle mower begins.
IMG_3958.jpeg
I guess you would say I’m in the assessing stage just trying to free things up and get the moving parts moving again. Lots of rust but the bar and parts on it really don’t look to bad considering it’s been sitting out for a looooooong time.
I think I could wear out my wire wheel on this thing! Lots of rusty bits.
IMG_3960.jpeg
After some spraying and pounding back and forth got the hold downs loose and the knife section out.
IMG_3959.jpeg
The knives don’t look great and should probably be replaced but there all tight on the bar and I don’t see the point in replacing them now, at least until I go through the rest of the machine and see if it functions. I know I need a new drive belt for sure. I suppose tomorrow I’ll start the search for that.
So ends another fine evening up in the shop!

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:27 am
by Eugen
Jeff, the rust doesn't seem to be deep. I've been doing quite a lot of wire wheeling, my favourite wheel tends to be this type
D0EE8978-E20E-4E0F-B0C2-098B72C2399A.jpeg
because it doesn't wear as fast and it cleans up rust fast.

Anyway, nice time in the shop for sure! But I'm thinking, the knives don't look that bad. Can't they be sharpened? :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:15 am
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:27 am Jeff, the rust doesn't seem to be deep. I've been doing quite a lot of wire wheeling, my favourite wheel tends to be this type

Anyway, nice time in the shop for sure! But I'm thinking, the knives don't look that bad. Can't they be sharpened? :thumbsup:
You’re right most of the rust isn’t deep. Everything is just stuck from sitting so long. It’s more a matter of getting it moving freely. I’ll be using a liberal amount of lubricant! The knives are serrated they really shouldn’t need to be sharpened. Some of them have the tip broken or parts of the cutting edge missing. And some are pitted kinda deep. They may break when it start using it but I can always replace them later if that happens.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:33 pm
by JSinMO
Well I got the bar reassembled and lubed up. Now I can move the knives back and forth by hand. I think it’s ready to try.
IMG_3962.jpeg
I got the the rest of the machine out of the truck and put it on the 2 N, made it easy to work on!
IMG_3964.jpeg
I pumped a lot of grease, a lot of wire wheel work and some oiling and now everything moves nice and smooth!
I’ve got the drive belt on order so hopefully that will be in this week.
IMG_3966.jpeg
I’m not sure on the mount on this. Things don’t quite line up and would need a really short PTO shaft to make it work but I think it’s doable.
IMG_3965.jpeg
I decided to put it on the 41 M to see the difference in mounting. The PTO I already have will work but the mount geometry is way off. :109: :cuss: I’m going to have to make some measurements and do some studying to see how this can work :writing: Plenty of people have done this, it’s just my first time with this mover and these tractors so a bit of a learning curve, but it’s looking like some barnyard cobbling is about to happen! :109: :43: :42: :D
IMG_3967.jpeg
I started to see how this could work and a hydraulic line sprung a leak! :headbash: :cuss:
That’s enough for today. Took the lines off so I can match them up for replacement. They are old and I’m sure I got lucky they lasted this long.
IMG_3968.jpeg
Why don’t you get into old tractors they said. You’ll have hours of relaxing fun they said! :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:08 pm
by Eugen
They were right! :rofl: Last few days you've been having lots of fun!

I'd say you're making good progress Jeff, looking forward to see it in action. As you said, it's better that line leaked right away as opposed to in the middle of the field. I have no experience with attaching these implements to regular size tractors but I'm sure you'll figure it out as soon as that torch comes out. :D

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:45 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:08 pm They were right! :rofl: Last few days you've been having lots of fun!

I'd say you're making good progress Jeff, looking forward to see it in action. As you said, it's better that line leaked right away as opposed to in the middle of the field. I have no experience with attaching these implements to regular size tractors but I'm sure you'll figure it out as soon as that torch comes out. :D
Well thats true. Even with the the pondering and head scratching, and oil leaking today no dogs got kicked and no wrenches got thrown so yes I’m still having fun! :D

I find the similarities and the common mechanical principles that our GTs and big tractors share to be interesting. You know from the great work you’ve been doing on your big Case a lot of things function similarly the parts are just scaled up and sometimes so is the aggravation! :rofl:

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:21 am
by Toolslinger
It's been a few decades since I was involved in putting a sickle on the N. Ours was a Dearborn. That thing was a ball of snakes waiting to bite. Only good thing was it was built for the N series, so you knew it was going to fit...

Your 39 looks ok on the N, but yea, that's a short PTO shaft... That's never fun. Doesn't give you a lot of overlap on the front and back to accomidate lift which sucks with an N since the PTO has to be turninng to lift the 3 point.

The 41 looks like it might be ok if you really crank in your top link to get the mower vertical. You're working with tractors from before the real standardization of the 3 point, so geometries get a little weird at times. I've got a couple things that require a different, shorter top link to have enough adjustment.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:23 am
by thebuildist
Eugen wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:27 am Jeff, the rust doesn't seem to be deep. I've been doing quite a lot of wire wheeling, my favourite wheel tends to be this type

I keep that kind of wheel on one grinder, and on another grinder I keep one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Strip-Remover-Re ... B092Z4NV7G

I'm not sure how I can define which is better for what situation. But between the two of them you can really do some nice work.

Bob

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:24 pm
by DavidBarkey
@thebuildist I use the same ones for paint stripping when I can't or don't need to sand blast. They work great .

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:19 pm
by JSinMO
I was supposed to do yard work this evening but it’s quite hot and muggy, one of those days when you walk outside it feels like you put a winter parka on. Air you can wear! So it didn’t take much arm twisting for me to go to shop instead.
I put the new hoses on the M and checked them. No leaks
IMG_3979.jpeg

That was easy enough. The belt I ordered for sickle mower came it too so I thought I’d check the fit.
Fellas I have an aggravating problem. I have never in the past, or now, or probably in the future, ever been able to get the right belt the first time! :cuss: :headbash: :pullhair: :rofl:
It doesn’t matter it I use a belt measuring tool, tape measure, or take the old belt with me, I’ll manage to get the wrong size every time.
IMG_3978.jpeg
After years of this I have just started figuring it into the process! Not the end of the world, but you’d think I’d guess correctly once in awhile!

@thebuildist your right those abrasive wheels do work great. I have a collection of flapper wheels, wire and those with my grinders.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:21 am
by Eugen
@JSinMO maybe the belt is right but that pulley is not. :giggle:

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:41 am
by DavidBarkey
The problem with generic belts is that 6 belt from 6 different manufactures of the "same size" will have 6 different length widths and depths . Grade of belt changes things too.
example 1/2" x 23" OC (outside circumference) you can have anywhere from 22 and a 1/4" to 23 and 3/4" OC. 7/16" straight rubber belt to 9/16" cloth rapped belt all classified 1/2" belt .
This is why it is hard to find a perfect cross for an OEM belt sometime .
There is a lot of white lab coat stuff that goes into what is the right belt based on a number of factors of a "simple" vee belt.
Not least of which is weather or not it is a disengagement belt or allways engaged . That changes the pulley shape and the and the belt type . And then there is temp, load , shock , wet / dry , :bla: :bla: :bla:
This is what I know about belt , and I know very little .
So many of us share in your :violin: :violin: of belts.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:57 pm
by JSinMO
We’ve had a full day of rain that finally broke the heat wave so it was a good day to spend in the shop. I thought I’d try to make some progress on the mower since I now have a belt that will work.
IMG_4001.jpeg
I stared thinking of way to connect it to the 2N with out needing to get a very short PTO. Digging through the empire of dirt I dragged out a 3 point set up I saved for another project I have in mind for, but I thought if it would work here I’d try it.
IMG_4002.jpeg
I mocked it up on the mower frame, and it would work, but, it would be too cobbled even by my low standards! :43: :rofl:

I decided to play around with some of the original brackets from the mower and I think I have an acceptable way to hitch it to the 2 N now that will also allow me to move it to the M if needed. At least I’m hoping so! :106:
IMG_4003.jpeg
With that done I figured it’s time to attach the cutting bar.
That went really easy. But what didn’t go easy was getting everything adjusted. :headbash: This mower is much more worn and rusted that I had originally thought. :109: :cuss:
Out came the impact, big wrenches, even bigger sledge hammer, penetrating oil, and some heat. :dizzy: Afer an evening of soaking, twisting, beating, and removing cobbled stuff the previous owner added, I think I’m close to having it adjusted to a point it may actually work! :thumbsup:
IMG_4005.jpeg
But at this point that’s just a hopeful guess! :42: :D
At least it’s a lot farther along that it was this morning. Next I’ll need to make a new wooden pitman arm and get it installed, and then it should be about ready to try and see what breaks first! :giggle:
IMG_4004.jpeg

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:56 am
by Eugen
That wasn't an easy task by the sound of it. What are the necessary adjustments? I got a sickle bar mower too but have not tried to use it or do anything with it.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:14 am
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:56 am That wasn't an easy task by the sound of it. What are the necessary adjustments? I got a sickle bar mower too but have not tried to use it or do anything with it.
The far side of the cutting bar should be a little bit forward of the tractor side.
The angle of the bar is another. I usually run them level or slightly up.
When you lift the mower say at the end of the row there is an adjustment so the far side of the bar comes off the ground. If it doesn’t lift it will jam with cut hay then your on and off the tractor clearing the bar.
And then the is the spring tension on the bar.

None of this is a major deal, and when you look at one of these mowers, they look fairly simple. And they really are. It’s just when everything it a ball of rust nothing wants to move easy.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:38 pm
by Eugen
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me Jeff. Now it makes sense, as I don't have any experience with this. :cheers:

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:16 am
by JSinMO
Well today was a great day, till it wasn’t! :109:

I went up to the shop this morning to try and finish up the mower. I needed to cut a few pieces of steel to finish up my mounting brackets. Wouldn’t you know a piece of hot slag from the torch cut went down my shoe! Burned right through my shoe, sock, and right into my foot! :cuss: :30: of course this is why you should wear proper safety equipment and of course like a dummy I didn’t. :109: I did get it all mounted the way I wanted. I had to move the mower back from the tractor about 5 1/2 inches to give the PTO shaft an
acceptable angle. I used 3/8 plate to make the brackets.
IMG_4010.jpeg
It’s some crude barnyard engineering for sure but it works fine! :thumbsup:

With that done I went and mowed the yard with my zero turn. It ran great as always. I have a habit of filling it with fuel when I’m done mowing so its ready for next time. I put the gas in and now it won’t run, just sputters a bit with full choke then dies! :109: :cuss: I’m thinking the gas I put in had water in it. So I’ll check to make sure the fuel pump works then drain the tanks and put good gas in. Fingers crossed that’s all it is.

After that fiasco I went to back the 2N into the shop and all my of a sudden it’s running of 3 cylinders :headbash: :cuss:
Check into it and found number 3 spark plug wire is arcing to the frame of the tractor. Stuck my hand on it and it stung me good. :cuss: To be fair I never changed the plugs or wires when I got the tractor going so I suppose I should expect an issue here or there. I’ll have to dig around the old empire of dirt and see if I have a plug wire laying around to test with.

At this point I should have quit for the night but I just couldn’t help myself. I cut the wood pitman stick I need for the mower and put it in place. My questionable wood working skills usually don’t bother me much but I must say I did an exceptionally lousy job on this one! :30: :109: :rofl:
I will be shocked if it doesn’t break as soon as I engage the PTO! But we’ll see you never know, maybe it’ll last for years! :44: :65:
IMG_4011.jpeg
So ends another exciting and fulfilling day messing around in the shop!

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:46 am
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO Any bad day messing about in the shop ( as long as no serious injuries) is better than a "good" day sitting on the couch. imo.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:34 am
by Eugen
You had your full day of adventures @JSinMO. I'm even worse when it comes to work clothing, because I never bought any. I keep thinking I'll do it, but then it doesn't happen. :109: Your sickle mower repair look good to me. It'll probably last for years, it's not what it look like, but how well it holds, right? :cheers:

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:25 am
by Harry
I agree with David on the work in the shop. :thumbsup: and Eugen, JSinMo your fix on your sickle looks fine. I’m hoping to install my generator starter back on the 444 today. Then get to fire up the Kohler and check the oil flow after fixing the inlet pipe leak. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:37 am
by Eugen
Harry wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:25 am I agree with David on the work in the shop. :thumbsup: and Eugen, JSinMo your fix on your sickle looks fine. I’m hoping to install my generator starter back on the 444 today. Then get to fire up the Kohler and check the oil flow after fixing the inlet pipe leak. :peace: Harry
Let's see that 444 running Harry! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:36 pm
by JSinMO
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:46 am @JSinMO Any bad day messing about in the shop ( as long as no serious injuries) is better than a "good" day sitting on the couch. imo.
Well said Mr Dave!

Back at it today. Took a look at the zero turn mower and sure enough one tank had more water that gas in it! :109: :hm: drained the water and ran off the other tank and all is well, runs just fine. Now I just have to figure out how the water got in my tank in the first place.
IMG_4014.jpeg
Moved on to that 2N and verified it was a plug wire issue. This is why I don’t throw thing away. I dug out the wires from Herbie the truck and stuck it on the tractor. Along with a slight carb adjustment and it’s running smooth again! I’ll have to put new plugs wires on the list.

With that taken care of. I thought I’d try the sickle mower. As I suspected the pitman arm I made broke almost instantly! :30: :rofl:
IMG_4012.jpeg
IMG_4013.jpeg
However in the 8.2 seconds before it broke I confirmed everything was rotating and moving back and forth so that’s a win! I’m out of lumber so I’ll have to hunt up a couple of good pieces of hardwood and try again.

Even though I was taking care of problems that just sprang up it was still a satisfying day in the shop.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:04 pm
by Eugen
Of course if everything works perfectly what would we do all day?! :giggle:

I do wonder though, why would it break? Where are the forces acting on it coming from?

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:49 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:04 pm Of course if everything works perfectly what would we do all day?! :giggle:

I do wonder though, why would it break? Where are the forces acting on it coming from?
I dont know what we would do! If the day ever comes that everything works perfectly I guess I’d have to thinks about what to do next! :giggle:

The force is basically push - pull on the wood. The eccentric on the tractor end converts rotational movement to linear movement to move the knives back and forth.

There are a few reasons I think it broke.
1. The knives are still kind of sticky in the bar so there’s more force on the wood.
2. There is a ball and socket connection on the bar end. I don’t think I had enough spring tension on that connection to keep it locked so the was some shock load on the wood too.
3. I cut the wood too thin at the bar connection. I should have left more meat on it.
4. Last night I noticed a knot in the wood close the the bar connection. Because it’s a push - pull action you really want straight grain hardwood with no knots. They just make a weak point.

Well there’s a bit of a wooden pitman arm ramble for you!
I guess I could have shortened that up by just saying its still rusty and I should have gotten a better piece of wood! :giggle:

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:52 pm
by Eugen
But like this I understand a little more about what's going on. Is there a reason not to use a steel bar/pipe?

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:07 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:52 pm But like this I understand a little more about what's going on. Is there a reason not to use a steel bar/pipe?
You can use steel for that connection but you risk doing damage to the bar or the eccentric and maybe the power take off on the tractor. The wooden pitman arm is a designed fail point. Most manufacturers back in the day built them this way. The idea is if there is ever an obstruction that stops the movement of the knives the wood is supposed to break before anything else can be damaged. Wood is cheap, metal components on the mower or tractor are not! Having said that I have considered using a metal bar instead. Since this is belt driven I’m thinking I could run the belt a little loose so it can slip if there is an obstruction but I’m not sure I want to try that yet!

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:55 am
by Spike188
If the wood was replaced with spring loaded telescoping tubing, metal would work for a while. That is until it was left outside, rained on, and seized. Calculating the spring load needed would be fun.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:33 am
by Eugen
That makes sense, thanks! Why mess with something that worked well in the past. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:07 pm
by JSinMO
Had some time today to continue trying to get that sickle mower back in shape. :smash: As usual I’m working without any real plan or timeline, but it sure feels like this is taking longer than it should! :45:

First order of business is to put the shoe back on the inside of the bar. The inside and outside shoes give the bar something to ride on across the ground. These are homemade and set really high PO must have been mowing some really rough ground.
IMG_4105.jpeg
I changed the mounting location but I need to take some of the bend out of it. What to do :hm: I think this is a job
for the 648. I know I’m supposed to be digging holes with this but it’s so handy around the shop I just can’t help it! :D
IMG_4106.jpeg
Work like a charm! Shoe is on. I think it will work ok.
IMG_4107.jpeg
Time to make a pitman arm. I stopped by a local shop and they happened to have this nice piece of hickory. Should be able to make 2 out of this.
IMG_4108.jpeg

As I mentioned before I’m not a woodworker so let the butchery begin! :109: :33: :rofl: I took my time and remembered to measure twice and cut once! No way I would ever call this a faithful copy, more like a rendition that shares some similarities to what it’s supposed to look like! :30: :78:
IMG_4109.jpeg
It’s a straight grain hard wood so hopefully it holds up better.

Checking things over I see the knives are not registered in the bar. :headbash: if they’re not timed right it won’t cut right. Just like if the timing is off on an engine it won’t run right.
IMG_4110.jpeg
I took it loose per the book and I can’t get it to budge! :cuss: :headbash: :pullhair:
I’m starting to get aggravated and tired. Trying to learn from past experiences I realized there is a high probability of bad things happening at this point and it’s getting late. Time to call it a day. :124:

I was hopping to try it out today but at least progress was made and I got to spend some time with the 648 so I’ll take it as a positive. Crossing my fingers I can try it out next time!

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:39 pm
by MattA
Looks like you still made good progress 👍

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:43 pm
by Eugen
That pretty good progress in my book Jeff. I'm sorry that the knives aren't registered right. The tall grass will not go anywhere in the meanwhile, it'll wait for the knives to be registered. :highfive:

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:48 pm
by thebuildist
In working on this particular implement, you really want to have your wits about you and plenty of patience.

Because if you make the wrong mistake working on this, then you'll be less of a man than when you started!

Yikes!

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:29 pm
by JSinMO
thebuildist wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:48 pm In working on this particular implement, you really want to have your wits about you and plenty of patience.

Because if you make the wrong mistake working on this, then you'll be less of a man than when you started!

Yikes!
Just a little off the top please! :D

Seriously you’re absolutely right. On this particular piece of equipment the two biggies are staying away from the PTO, and not getting into the knives.
IMG_4120.jpeg
The tractor PTO runs at 540RPM but there is a reduction in the pulley size on the mower. I’m guessing but the knives are probably moving a lot closer to 1000RPM.
IMG_4121.jpeg
If you were to get an appendage in there I’d be gone before you knew what happened.

Not to get to morbid but most of the old stuff we all mess with probably has at least a half dozen ways to either seriously injure or out right kill you. Not stopping equipment before you get off the seat, a blown hydraulic hose when your standing somewhere you shouldn’t be, etc. of course this is mitigated with common sense, keeping equipment in reasonable condition, and a little learning and experience.

I didn’t mean to go off on such a tangent, but I figure a safety reminder now and again is a good thing.

Well there’s my “ old equipment can hurt you” ramble for the evening.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:20 am
by Spike188
Dad and his 3 brothers farmed together. Dad and his youngest brother were changing sickles on a Gleaner CII and a 24 foot header. Probably because thee pitman end of the sickle broke off. It was getting close to midnight and thier light source was a 61 Chevy pickup. These Sickles were prone to being difficult to align and push in the last 5 feet of insertion. Uncle was on the pitman end with a hammer and Dad was guiding the sickle between the guard slots. Dad was guiding the sickle with the tools he was born with. To their dieing day, they still argued about whether Dad said "hit it". At least the emergency room wasn't far away and the ends of a couple of tools were reattached.

There are places where fingers do not belong.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:28 pm
by JSinMO
Spike188 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:20 am Dad and his 3 brothers farmed together. Dad and his youngest brother were changing sickles on a Gleaner CII and a 24 foot header. Probably because thee pitman end of the sickle broke off. It was getting close to midnight and thier light source was a 61 Chevy pickup. These Sickles were prone to being difficult to align and push in the last 5 feet of insertion. Uncle was on the pitman end with a hammer and Dad was guiding the sickle between the guard slots. Dad was guiding the sickle with the tools he was born with. To their dieing day, they still argued about whether Dad said "hit it". At least the emergency room wasn't far away and the ends of a couple of tools were reattached.

There are places where fingers do not belong.
Great story! I can clearly picture the scene, been in plenty of similar ones myself! And I can almost hear the bickering about it after the fact! And a great point, here’s 4 guys that were well versed on the equipment they were using and it still required a trip to the hospital. Glad they were able to patch him up. You can’t live life being worried all the time but keeping safety in the back of your mind sure can save you from trouble!

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:33 pm
by JSinMO
Well I’m really trying to finish this project up! Back at it again. I went back to trying to get the bar in time with the knives. It should slide on the drag link on the the back of the mower but it’s stuck. I mulled my options over and went with brute force! :109: :smash:
I placed a block of wood and bottle jack to keep a strain on the parts that should move and got to swinging the sledgehammer!
IMG_4114.jpeg
IMG_4115.jpeg
On a side note, I think there was a conversation here awhile back about jacks working in odd positions. I can confirm that at least my Hobo freight jack does work in a horizontal position.

Success! The tension and beat worked. It’s not perfectly aligned but it’s close enough to tryout!
IMG_4117.jpeg
I put everything back together and in instances like this I usually try to follow the old German torque specifications and make it gout-in-tite. However in this case I happen to have the correct torque specs for this machine so it checked it after I was done just to see.
IMG_4119.jpeg
The book says it’s supposed to 80foot lbs. I surpassed that by a bit but on old rusty stuff I think it will be fine.

I guess there nothing left to do but give it a whirl.
I took it out to the field and like the famous YouTuber says, “I just can’t believe it, but I guess I got to because I’m looking right at it”. The dang thing cuts! :69:
IMG_4124.jpeg
IMG_4126.jpeg
I made a couple of passes and it seems to cut fine!

This was proof of concept on the cobbling I did to attach it to the Ford, and confirmation the mower actually functions. Very happy about that!

Of course some issue popped up.

1) The 2N is made In such a way that the PTO and hydraulics work together. You can’t have one or the other, they’re either both on or off together. I’m not thrilled about that from a safety standpoint or convenience. @propane1 im curious if your Ferguson works that way?

2) when I lift the mower at the end of the row the PTO angle is still to sharpe. It actually binds and that’s going to ruin u-joints quickly so that’s a no go. I didn’t catch that when I was setting this up. :30:
IMG_4125.jpeg
I like having options so in a pinch I can use the mower on this tractor if I needed to I’d just have to be very careful about raising it.

I decided to try it on the 1941M and see what it looks like.
IMG_4129.jpeg
IMG_4132.jpeg
IMG_4130.jpeg
The PTO angle is much better! And this gives me independent PTO and hydraulic function so the mower doesn’t have to be running to use the hydraulics, that’s a safer option for sure.

Now the problem I face is figuring out the final mounting set up. The geometry of the mower and the tractor lift arms are way different. So the barnyard cobbling will continue! :43: :109: :))

IMG_4131.jpeg
I’ve got an idea on how to make this work. I’ll be trying that next time and then I guess it’ll be time for test number 2!

I’d just like to say thank you to you guys for following along with my nonsense in the shop, I appreciate it!

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:00 am
by propane1
Yes Jeff. My Ferguson works the same way. A 1953 Ford Jubilee has live hydraulics, so I believe that would help the trouble you are have there. And I’m not sure on the Fergusons, what year they have live hydraulics and live pto, but it would be 1956 or so and newer, I think.

Noel

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:43 am
by Toolslinger
One option possible to help your PTO angle a little is (and I can't believe I'm about to suggest this) to remove the overrun clutch on the PTO. That would save 3" or so I imagine. A sickle doesn't really have a whole lot of mass to wind down so it might not be an issue. I believe when we were running a Dearborne sickle, we didn't have the overrun. That came when we went to a rotary.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:32 am
by Spike188
Overrun clutches are critical when going up a hill, stopping, and emmediatly rolling backward. The pto output shaft will instantly change rotation direction at roll back. I have seen pto shaft twist inside the transmission and it's not an easy fix.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:21 am
by Harry
Jeff, I enjoy your posts very much. Especially when you have pics with the narrative. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:14 pm
by JSinMO
@Toolslinger That’s true, the sickle mower doesn’t have much inertia. It pretty much stops as soon as you stop the PTO. And three or so inches would probably keep it from binding, but to @Spike188 point I’ve been in a couple of sticky situations running without the overrunning clutch so I really hesitate to take it off. I can use this set up as is as long as I don’t raise the mower, which I can do if needed. I would just have to stop and clear the bar if it plugged up. So as of now I’m thinking the 2N will be the back up tractor and the Farmall M will be the primary for this cutter, if I can get the kinks worked out on its mounting.

@Harry Thank you for saying that. I really do appreciate it. I’ve tried to get into the habit of taking pictures as much as I can. I feel like it’s easier to explain what’s going on when you can add a picture to the text.

@propane1 thanks Noel! I knew there were some differences between the N series Fords and the Fergusons but I guess that wasn’t one of them!

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:34 am
by propane1
I think the 8N Fords have a draft control lever on the top cover. My Ferguson does not have that. Not sure about the 9N or 2N.

Noel

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:13 am
by Toolslinger
Yep, the 8N has a lever that switches it between Draft, and Position. The 9N and 2N just have Draft I believe.

I don't believe ours has ever been switched off Position in the 50 years we've had it, including many years of plowing, where Draft shines apparently... I'm not sure my father even knew it was there.

I hadn't thought about this in the context of the current issue. With Draft there's no just lifting the bar a little, it's either all the way up, or down right?

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:07 pm
by JSinMO
Toolslinger wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:13 am The 9N and 2N just have Draft I believe.

I hadn't thought about this in the context of the current issue. With Draft there's no just lifting the bar a little, it's either all the way up, or down right?
That’s right the 2N only has draft control, no position control. From what I have read the newer 8N hydraulic setup can be put on the older 2N and 9N. But until I stumble on to one this is what I’ll work with.

You can get some position control, you really have to get the top link set right and then move the quadrant control to just the right spot to get it to stop and hold where you want it. Honestly it seems very finicky and I certainly haven’t mastered it yet. It’s hard for me to duplicate the setting in real time and get the 3 point to the same spot every time.

Noel may have more of an informed opinion on this, he has more experience with his Ferguson.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:43 am
by propane1
They are finicky good for sure Jeff. My Ferguson is the same way. I’m not sure how the position control lever/valve works on a 8N. Does the 3 point still move up and down if it’s in the position setting or once in the position setting it locks the 3 point in what ever position it’s in and it won’t lift or lower, until back into the draft setting. I don’t know. If anybody has a Ford 8N tractor and knows how the draft/position valve works, please let us know.

Noel

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:05 am
by Toolslinger
Can't say how the internals work...
The position setting doesn't lock the arms at a height. It sets a height, and the hydraulics simply maintain that. There's no down pressure in the system, so the arms can float up, but will drop back to the set height.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:56 am
by DavidBarkey
Toolslinger wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:05 am Can't say how the internals work...
The position setting doesn't lock the arms at a height. It sets a height, and the hydraulics simply maintain that. There's no down pressure in the system, so the arms can float up, but will drop back to the set height.
So for what you are saying ,if I uderstand you right . Draft control can be accomplished by a chain or cylinder stop ring to restrict depth and using float on our Case GTs .

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:39 am
by Toolslinger
That would be more like position control. Very few tractors have any downforce on the 3pt. Our Case gear is kinda unique in that aspect.

Draft is an active system that senses the load on the implement from something like plowing. When you hit something harder, like say packed clay, or a rock, the system will raise the plow to decrease the load. Once past it, it would drop again until it hits a depth at which the plow is seeing the same load as before. Ground engaging equipment is the primary application. It keeps a steady load on your engine/drivetrain, rather than a fixed level of engagement.

Again, I've never used it myself, but that's my understanding.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:22 pm
by propane1
Toolslinger wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:39 am That would be more like position control. Very few tractors have any downforce on the 3pt. Our Case gear is kinda unique in that aspect.

Draft is an active system that senses the load on the implement from something like plowing. When you hit something harder, like say packed clay, or a rock, the system will raise the plow to decrease the load. Once past it, it would drop again until it hits a depth at which the plow is seeing the same load as before. Ground engaging equipment is the primary application. It keeps a steady load on your engine/drivetrain, rather than a fixed level of engagement.

Again, I've never used it myself, but that's my understanding.
Great explanation. That was why the system was developed. To keep tractors from raring up when hitting a stone or hard spot to keep the tractor from flipping over onto the operator.
And it keeps the plow at a constant level in the ground, even if the tractor rises up and down some at the front end. This is my understanding.

Noel

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:46 pm
by JSinMO
I think I’m about finished with the set up of this sickle mower!

I thought I would try to better explain why this “3 point” is so odd to hook up to a 3 point equipped tractor. This mower was built in the 1950s at a time before the 3 point setup was standardized across manufacturers. I’ve run into this before on older stuff. In this case it was designed specifically for a 1950s JD tractor. It’s actually a 5 point hook up. The lower lift arms of the tractor hook to the mower just like any modern equipment. But the mower frame also connects to the front of those lift arms so that’s 4 points of contact, and does all the lifting and lowering of the mower. The top link is connected as you normally would and used to change the angle of the mower in relation to the ground. The mower “floats” inside the frame.

I realize that’s fairly convoluted and may not even have been needed but I was trying to make what’s happening clearer! I don’t have a good picture of how it should work other than whats in the manual.
IMG_4155.jpeg
So after reading the book a couple of times I realized that even though the angle of the mower frame is way different from the lift arms all I really needed to do is keep the frame from rotating while the mower is traveling across the ground.
I thought about how I could make brackets to accomplish this and it was making my brain hurt! :43:

I needed to step back and simplify this. I decided to try and chain the front of the mower frame to the life arms.
IMG_4133.jpeg
I’ll be darned, that actually works! Now that I could consistently raise and lower the mower I added cylinder stops so it drops to the same spot every time.
IMG_4135.jpeg
I really stacked them up but only need a relatively short stroke to set the bar where I want it on the ground and raise it at the end of a row.
IMG_4134.jpeg
Time to test!
IMG_4158.jpeg
IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4159.jpeg
Its working! I may have just saved another one from the fence row! :69:

I still have some work to do on the end of the bar. One rock guard need adjusted, I have to make a couple of shims, and I need to make a hay stick to push the grass into the row being cut, but the thing is working!

Holy cow, that’s quite enough rambling about an old mower for one day! :D

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:55 am
by Eugen
I cannot claim that I understand it all but am glad you got it to work to your liking, Jeff! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:20 pm
by JSinMO
Nice day to be in the shop. After doing some odd and ends getting ready for winter I decided to do what will hopefully be the last test and tune needed on the sickle mower.

In the last test I noticed one of the guards was loose and a plate on the outside shoe was missing. You can see the 2 holes where it should bolt in.
IMG_4194.jpeg
The guard just needed adjustment. I cut a piece of steel to make the end plate and fitted it in. With out this the grass will plug the end of the mower and stop it from cutting.
IMG_4196.jpeg
I’m also missing the hay stick that should be bolted to the outside shoe as well.
IMG_4195.jpeg
I had a piece of rebar on hand. I formed a loop in one end to accept the bolt and hopefully stay where I want it. It’s a little detail but it’s important. This lets the hay at the end of the bar roll over into the row that’s is being cut leaving a clear path for the inside shoe to run in on the next pass. The rebar seems a little flimsy I may have to beef it up if it ends up bending in heavy grass. I cut it down to length after the picture.
IMG_4197.jpeg
Time for test number 2 it definitely cut better this time with no grass plugging up out on the end of the bar.
IMG_4198.jpeg
Except for replacing the knifes at some point I think it’s ready for next spring! Finger crossed it performs good in the heavy stuff :42: !

I think I’m finally ready to move on to a different project!

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:53 pm
by JSinMO
With below freezing temperatures in the forecast for the next few days I figured I better get some things ready for winter. First order of business was to bring the 446 up to the shop and put the carry all / weight box on the back. I thought I might as well use it for some of the chores.

I decided to get the winter quarters set up for the chickens.
IMG_4202.jpeg
I put down some extra hay, set up the heat lamp, and got the water heater ready to go.
IMG_4203.jpeg
Next up let’s check antifreeze in the equipment. The six tractors look good to well below zero but Herbie the truck is too low to check, it still has a little leak I haven’t stopped up yet. I went to top off the radiator and then started it up to mix it in and test. Of course on the first cool and damp day of the season I promptly flooded the engine and ran the battery down! :headbash: So I drug out the charger and let it sit for awhile. I finally got it started and warmed up. Antifreeze is pretty dirty but it tests good to 30 below.
IMG_4205.jpeg
They were calling for a chance of rain today but with my schedule pretty full for the next few weeks I figured I better get the zero turn out and cut the grass. Should be the last time this year. I went to move the 2N out of the way and guess what I did? Yup flooded it and ran the battery down! :headbash: :pullhair: :((

I don’t claim to be a genius, but sometimes I really get mad at the dumb things I do! :30: :violin: :43:
So I set up the charger and snuck the mower past to go cut grass
IMG_4204.jpeg
I got about half way done and wouldn’t you know it, the weather guessers were right! Finished mowing in a light rain and about 40F. :45: Boy the first cool days sure make me feel like I’m at the arctic circle in mid winter, I thought I was going to freeze to death!

I got the mower put up about the time the rain stopped. So I
turned my attention back to the Ford. It still wouldn’t start so I pulled the plugs and they were wet with gas. I took them in and cleaned them up and set them on the bench to dry out. Just about the time I went out to put them back in the tractor here comes a steady rain! :cuss: I guess I’m just stubborn because was going to start this dang tractor whether it’s a cold rain or not! I threw the plugs in gave it little choke hit the button and it sputtered then started! With the rain still coming down I jumped on and plopped down on a wet seat. I dove it around a bit just to make sure it was running ok and wheeled into the shop.
IMG_4206.jpeg
Me and the tractor are soaking wet!

That’s enough fun for me! Time to quit and head for the house for a hot meal and a hot shower!

There’s my cold and rainy chore day ramble! :D

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:45 pm
by Eugen
I must say, in spite of the weather you did quite a lot of work. I too have to get things ready before the winter but since the trip abroad I've been low on motivation. Didn't help that we had a lot of rain. :109: Oh well...

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:26 am
by Toolslinger
I managed to get in what I hope is the last mowing Saturday during the weirdly warm October day... I can't say I'm ready for the cold to come, but I've tried to take care of most of it this year before it turned.

I'm waiting for 444 parts to arrive, so that will get to happen with cold hands. Leaves aren't all down yet, so haven't done the vacuuming yet. Can't hurry that one along, so likely that will be Thanksgiving week while I'm off work. After that chore, then the blower can go on the 444 (assuming I've done the repairs)

Chains and back blade will go on the 8N that week too. I don't do the chains on the big loader unless I know I'm going to get pasted. I tear everything up horribly with them over the winter unless we're actually frozen hard, and we haven't gotten that in a few years.

I need to pull 12v batteries out of everything that will sit all winter, and bring them in the basement so they stay warm. I rotate them on chargers. Managed to keep the same battery in my MF 202 since 2011 with that routine. Somehow the 6v batteries don't seem to care about the winter, and I hate the thought of pulling the Diamond T's anyway.

Still have several pallets of wood to split. Half is under the barn overhang, so I can do that regardless of weather. The rest I will shuffle under therea as I can. I have plenty of dry, split wood already in the rack, so this is all for the future anyway. Just don't like it sitting around in the way.

After all that, I will be able to just hide in the house most of the winter, apart from normal life activities. Those will be made easier this year since I got a Gator with a cab now. What a difference there is just being out of the wind.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:13 pm
by JSinMO
Toolslinger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:26 am I managed to get in what I hope is the last mowing Saturday during the weirdly warm October day... I can't say I'm ready for the cold to come, but I've tried to take care of most of it this year before it turned.

I'm waiting for 444 parts to arrive, so that will get to happen with cold hands. Leaves aren't all down yet, so haven't done the vacuuming yet. Can't hurry that one along, so likely that will be Thanksgiving week while I'm off work. After that chore, then the blower can go on the 444 (assuming I've done the repairs)

Chains and back blade will go on the 8N that week too. I don't do the chains on the big loader unless I know I'm going to get pasted. I tear everything up horribly with them over the winter unless we're actually frozen hard, and we haven't gotten that in a few years.

I need to pull 12v batteries out of everything that will sit all winter, and bring them in the basement so they stay warm. I rotate them on chargers. Managed to keep the same battery in my MF 202 since 2011 with that routine. Somehow the 6v batteries don't seem to care about the winter, and I hate the thought of pulling the Diamond T's anyway.

Still have several pallets of wood to split. Half is under the barn overhang, so I can do that regardless of weather. The rest I will shuffle under therea as I can. I have plenty of dry, split wood already in the rack, so this is all for the future anyway. Just don't like it sitting around in the way.

After all that, I will be able to just hide in the house most of the winter, apart from normal life activities. Those will be made easier this year since I got a Gator with a cab now. What a difference there is just being out of the wind.
Well you reminded me of something else I need to do. I returned the tires and wheels with the chains on them that a borrowed from a friend last year. I found an old set of chains I need to “modify” to go on the 446.

I don’t pull batteries anymore. I seem to get the same life out of them either way. I just take the connections loose and run the charger on them once in awhile. Depending on the weather I might run any of them in the winter for this or that. It helps that we usually only get below zero a few days out of the winter.

Your Diamond T sounds like a joy to work on! Where is the battery mounted?

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:04 am
by Toolslinger
It's a monster 6v that's tucked in a little trap door under the driver's door. One needs to throw something non-conductive over the terminals while sliding it out on to the running board so it doesn't short against the door opening.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:26 pm
by JSinMO
I was talking to a friend of mine about how to get consistent position control on my 2N. He sent me pictures of a chain set up you can buy to set you implement height. I thought heck I’ve got enough junk laying around here to make that. So up to the shop I went!

I took that length of chain I found buried a few months ago and mocked it up on the tractor.
IMG_4207.jpeg
I jumped on and shook the mower every why I could to confirm the chains would hold it, and they do!

I grabbed a piece of scrap steel I had and cut it into the pieces I need.
IMG_4208.jpeg
Then torched out the holes on everything with the plasma cutter. I still need a 220v connection for it. I’m using it in the 110 setting. It does a good job but tends to trip a 20 amp breaker.
IMG_4213.jpeg
After I welded the end of the chain to the bottom pieces I put it on the tractor to test. Here’s the ones I made.
IMG_4214.jpeg
Here’s the store bought one my friend uses.
IMG_2558.jpeg
IMG_2894.jpeg

Mine are more crudely made for sure but they work great!
Now I can set the height of whatever implement I have on the tractor.

I took them back off and hung them on the sickle mower to give them a shot of black paint left over from painting Herbie the trucks rims.
IMG_4215.jpeg
So ends another day of messing around in the shop!

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:14 pm
by DavidBarkey
Well done @JSinMO . :weld1: That probably cost you less than it would have for the gas to go buy one .

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:20 pm
by Eugen
A simple but effective solution, I like that! I've been missing messing around with the welder so this is as good as it gets for me now, reading your adventures, thanks Jeff! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:41 am
by Harry
The Mother of invention strikes again! Great job Jeff. I hope your post inspires others. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:32 am
by JSinMO
I should go ahead and start working on the brush hog. The blade are stuck and the deck need to be patched in a couple spots.
IMG_4369.jpeg
But I just don’t feel like it! Let’s start on something else.
I’m going to try and fabricobble a carry all from some stuff I have laying around and a few pallets I picked up the other day! The one on the 446 is a little small but still handy to have so I figured why not up size it for the other tractors!
IMG_4371.jpeg
I had this old 3point frame laying around. It’s pretty bent up but after beating on it for awhile I think it will work fine for this!
IMG_4370.jpeg
It’s crooked for sure but it just needs to hold the box. Now for the real ugly. I welded a couple of flanges onto the frame to bolt the box to. My goodness these are some of the worst chicken crap welds I’ve ever done! :109: :30: :124: I wish @Harry was closer, I’d go take some lessons from him!
IMG_4373.jpeg
After I halfa$& welded them in I need to spread them just a bit. I had a bottle jack on them and smacked them with a sledge hammer and the welds didn’t break so as disgusted as I am I’m calling it good :33: :43: :rofl:

As usual I’m working without a net, or a plan so I’m kinda figuring it out as I go and making changes and adjustments.
Not the smartest way to do but I kinda works for me. I’m not the smartest guy around anyway! :rofl:
I mocked up what will be the bed and next I’ll make a simple frame to support it.
IMG_4372.jpeg

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:11 pm
by Harry
JSinMo, I like your pics, they tell the story. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:25 pm
by Timj
I like where you're going, Jeff, I've been kinda halfa$$ed looking for or at building some sort of carryall for our compact tractor. I think it would be much handier than a trailer alot of times, especially in the woods. :highfive:

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:31 pm
by JSinMO
Timj wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:25 pm I like where you're going, Jeff, I've been kinda halfa$$ed looking for or at building some sort of carryall for our compact tractor. I think it would be much handier than a trailer alot of times, especially in the woods. :highfive:
I agree with you Tim, I think it’s handier in a lot of situations over a trailer. I like this project because it’s easily scalable to what ever tractor you want to use from a GT to as big as you want to go. And it’s not hard to find people that are throwing out used pallets, cant go wrong with free material! :D

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:52 pm
by MattA
JSinMO wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:32 am Not the smartest way to do but I kinda works for me. I’m not the smartest guy around anyway! :rofl:
You got most people beat :thumbsup:
Seriously none of my neighbors can change the oil on their riding lawn mowers :rofl:

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:31 pm
by JSinMO
MattA wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:52 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:32 am Not the smartest way to do but I kinda works for me. I’m not the smartest guy around anyway! :rofl:

Seriously none of my neighbors can change the oil on their riding lawn mowers :rofl:
I don’t want to believe that Matt, but I know it’s true nowadays. It’s really a shame, although it does open a door if a fella wanted to do some side work out of his garage! I’m pretty far out in the country but a guy that lived in a suburban area could probably have a decent side hustle doing simple jobs that people either don’t know how to do or don’t care to learn.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:32 pm
by MattA
JSinMO wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:31 pm
MattA wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:52 pm

I don’t want to believe that Matt, but I know it’s true nowadays. It’s really a shame, although it does open a door if a fella wanted to do some side work out of his garage! I’m pretty far out in the country but a guy that lived in a suburban area could probably have a decent side hustle doing simple jobs that people either don’t know how to do or don’t care to learn.
My neighbor killed his cub cadet a few years back because he didn't know to change the oil. He asked for help changing the oil on the new tractor but never brought it over. I think his father in law did it for him.

I fixed up another neighbors cub cadet because the muffler fell off and he ran it like that until the hood started to deform. I fixed the muffler, hood, installed new blades, changed the oil/oil filter and installed a new valve cover gasket. When I went for a test drive there was a very serious rattle. I found the engine flopping around when engaging forward or reverse. All four engine bolts were several turns loose. He was very appreciative that I took care of it. Months later the valve cover gasket began leaking on the exhaust again but he didn't want me to fix it. Later on something fell off the tractor and it wouldn't move. He didn't want help and paid a few hundred to have it picked up and fixed. This is the same neighbor whose car I had to jumpstart and charge in covid. Very nice guy otherwise...

Three other neighbors get their mowers picked up and serviced.

So I guess I'm the only one around that fixes stuff 🤷‍♂️

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:37 am
by Harry
Matt, I have a neighbor across the street like that. He has a small yard and used a push mower but this summer he bought a new Cub Cadet. He couldn’t get it to crank over so he asked me to take a look at it. It was something simple. He is a short guy and his legs are short. He had to push the brake pedal down to engage a safety switch. His legs was short so he had to push harder to engage the switch. I think he was embarrassed about it being something so simple. He had a problem with his snowblower. He told me he tried to change the belt but couldn’t get the old one off. Plus when he ran it I could always hear the engine hunting. A few weeks ago I saw a pickup take the blower away. He may of figured to get a plow service for his driveway which is very small, I’m not sure. :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:28 pm
by JSinMO
I made the frame for the box to set on. It’s a simple A-frame made from the 2x4s in the pallets. Screwed together then bolted to the 3 point frame. I was going to make it out of steel but it should be mostly down force so I’m hoping this will be fine.
IMG_4382.jpeg
I made the front wall of the bed and attached it to what will be the floor. Then bigger problems arose! Don’t know if you can tell in the picture but there’s no power in the shop! :hitsfan: :109: :42:
IMG_4388.jpeg
Turns out the 200 amp main breaker decided it was going to retire. :headbash: :cuss: :pullhair:
IMG_4387.jpeg
It’s old and apparently made of unobtainium. They don’t make them anymore. :headbash: :cuss: The few examples that still exist cost enough to curl your hair!

It was at least 50% cheaper to just put in a whole new service panel. So that the path we chose. Thankfully it was relatively easy work. New panel in and disaster averted! :69:
Now maybe I can get back to messing around IN the shop instead of messing around ON the shop!

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:56 pm
by Timj
Power for lights and tools is pretty important in the shop, the house could have waited a while to fix but not the shop. :D

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:07 pm
by JSinMO
Timj wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:56 pm Power for lights and tools is pretty important in the shop, the house could have waited a while to fix but not the shop. :D

:rofl: :rofl: You hit the nail on the head Tim!

I mean come on, we can use the fireplaces in the house. And I know there’s at least a weeks worth of bottled water around here! Shouldn’t be a problem. The shop on the other hand only has electric heat and just cold drink in the refrigerator!
:rofl: :rofl:

This also supplies power to the garage where my wife, god love her, parks her car. She was on board to get this fixed.
Truth be told I think she know that if she wants me to have any semblance of sanity I need to be able to go up to the shop! :D

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 pm
by Eugen
Box looks good Jeff! It'll be great when finished. :thumbsup: Too bad about the breaker, never thought those could ever go bad.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:50 am
by DavidBarkey
OMG 200 amps in the shop . :worship: I have gas heat but only 40 amps into my shop. Every thing in on a "manual disconnect" (big plugs ) because don't have enough panel for all of it . :(( Oh well always warm . Glad you got it fixed fairly easily .
This also supplies power to the garage where my wife, god love her, parks her car. She was on board to get this fixed.
Truth be told I think she know that if she wants me to have any semblance of sanity I need to be able to go up to the shop! :D/quote]
You got to keep the :wife: happy . Are you sure that it is your sanity that she is worried about ,or is it more that with out shop time you will in the house invading her "personal time" :rofl:

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:19 am
by Harry
JSinMo, I can relate to working on the shop vs working in the shop. I was working in the shop late last night on the snow caster, first time in a while in the shop after dinner. Wood furnace fired up heated the shop to 70 degrees. This winter I want to run some piping for the air compressor to run air overhead. I picked up from CL all the piping I need and two new Craftsman hose reels. That will be better than having a hose on the floor to trip on. I enjoy projects making the shop better. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:57 pm
by Toolslinger
Harry wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:19 am That will be better than having a hose on the floor to trip on. I enjoy projects making the shop better.
You ain't kidding there... Hose reels are probably the biggest improvement, along with cord reels. It's no effort at all to put the hoses and cords away when you just need to give them a little tug, and guide them back in. I'm at 5 or 6 cord reels now, and 2 hose, but there are 3 more hose reels and 1 more cord waiting to go in. Drop lights suplement the cord reels, and there are 9 or 10 of them. ( I know that seems excessive, but I'm spread across 2 buildings, with 2 floors each, and the barn is kinda long, and dark)

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:14 pm
by JSinMO
@Harry @Toolslinger im with you guys! My shop really isn’t big enough to need hard lines run for air but I need to keep my eye out for some reels! I missed a chance to get some out of an old garage that shut down.

@DavidBarkey That 200 amp breaker is the main for the everything on the property out side of the house. I have the actual sub panel in the shop at 60 amps which it more that enough for what I’m doing.
That breaker was there when we bought this place it had a damaged case then but was working fine then the other night it just went open on both poles. I think we’re lucky we didn’t have bigger issues with it.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:38 am
by Harry
JSinMo, 200 amp is what I have for my house with a 60 amp breaker to run my shop. I have no problem in the shop because I’m the only person using it. So I only use one piece of equipment at a time. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:38 am JSinMo, 200 amp is what I have for my house with a 60 amp breaker to run my shop. I have no problem in the shop because I’m the only person using it. So I only use one piece of equipment at a time. :peace: Harry
I am in the same boat Harry . Just a one man band . The one major thing I have over most is we are on the gas main that feeds town north of us . So the whole house , garage , summer kitchen , and shop are gas heat/hot water and cooking . :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:42 pm
by JSinMO
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm
Harry wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:38 am JSinMo, 200 amp is what I have for my house with a 60 amp breaker to run my shop. I have no problem in the shop because I’m the only person using it. So I only use one piece of equipment at a time. :peace: Harry
I am in the same boat Harry . Just a one man band . The one major thing I have over most is we are on the gas main that feeds town north of us . So the whole house , garage , summer kitchen , and shop are gas heat/hot water and cooking . :thumbsup:
99.5% of the time I’m the same as you guys, just me and maybe son in the shop. My gas gets brought in on a truck so I only use it for heating the house, everything else is electric.
I knew a fella that had a gas well on his property. Part of the lease agreement with the gas company was he got his gas at no cost plus what ever they paid him for access to the well.
Kinda makes me want to do some gas exploration around here!

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:44 pm
by Eugen
That's interesting, to have gas on your own land and just use it. It's a big world out there. There was a property in the hills there for sale, which had running water through it, I thought big enough to run a small hydro turbine. Being in the hills there isn't much permission one needs to get. But :wife: didn't like the property. There a nice feeling to be more self sustained. So, go digging Jeff. Imagine, free heating forever.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:57 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:44 pm That's interesting, to have gas on your own land and just use it. It's a big world out there. There was a property in the hills there for sale, which had running water through it, I thought big enough to run a small hydro turbine. Being in the hills there isn't much permission one needs to get. But :wife: didn't like the property. There a nice feeling to be more self sustained. So, go digging Jeff. Imagine, free heating forever.
It would be nice! I like your idea of a hydro turbine. Spending most of my life around the rivers here I’ve wondered why there isn’t a system like that on the Missouri or Mississippi. On the surface it’s seems like it would have great potential, but that’s way, way above my pay grade! I have no doubt there’s a lot more to consider than I can think of.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:52 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:42 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm
99.5% of the time I’m the same as you guys, just me and maybe son in the shop. My gas gets brought in on a truck so I only use it for heating the house, everything else is electric.
I knew a fella that had a gas well on his property. Part of the lease agreement with the gas company was he got his gas at no cost plus what ever they paid him for access to the well.
Kinda makes me want to do some gas exploration around here!
Just think , you could generate your own power with a NG diesel genny . Would just need to up keep the machine .
:!:

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:34 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:52 am
Just think , you could generate your own power with a NG diesel genny . Would just need to up keep the machine .
:!:
Steam turbine! I think it would be more efficient than a generator?

@JSinMO would the neighbour agree to run a pipe over to you? :D

I'm thinking that getting free gas for allowing the gas company to harvest gas on your land is not that great a deal. Somehow I think the gas company, like banks, like insurance companies, like casinos, make the biggest profit leeching us. I don't mean to sound political, or bitter, I just accept this as a fact. On the day of judgement they will answer for it all. :D :124:

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 am
by Spike188
During the 60's it was common in Oklahoma for land owners to pull gas from the wells on their properties. One acquaintance put in a heated swimming pool using "free" natural gas. The acquaintance also heated their home from the well. I do not know if their large buisness was tied into the well. The down side was that the well could not be counted on as continually flowing. When commercial demand would drop or well servicing was required the taps would be turned off. Free came at a cost of being unreliable.

The common practice now is to be paid 3/16 of production revenue.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:04 pm
by Harry
If I had a gas well on my property. I would heat my driveway so I would have to remove the snow. :cool: :peace: Harry

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:17 pm
by RoamingGnome
We had friends outside of Corfu NY that heated their home from a gas well on their property - it was one of the requirements they gave their real estate agent when they were looking for a property to build on. I don't remember the details, but they did have to add Mercaptan (the rotten egg smell ingredient) to the gas line before it went into their house / shop

There are a bazillion small gas wells in Southern Ontario - mostly in the areas bordering Lake Erie and it could be legal to have a private gas well in Ontario, but of course there are lots of rules & regs - :hm: :33:

image.png
https://geohub.lio.gov.on.ca/datasets/p ... 785%2C7.00[/url]

Fun Fact - The world's first commercial oil well was in Oil Springs, Ontario in 1858 - a year before the 1st American oil well in Titusville, Pennsylvania (1859) There is a really interesting museum in Oil Springs about the history of the Petroleum industry in Canada https://www.lambtonmuseums.ca/en/oil-mu ... anada.aspx

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 pm
by JSinMO
@Eugen I agree with you. Although corporate greed certainly isn’t a new phenomenon, it sure seems to have grown exponentially in our lifetime.
@Spike188 brings up a big con on the whole idea. 3/16 of the revenue to sell you mineral rights. And it would absolutely be my luck they would shut down production in February without me having enough storage to make it to spring.
If you own your mineral rights I believe a fellow can drill for them if he wanted to in a lot of areas, but when you figure all the up front costs of permits, drill rig, materials, needed equipment, and then the upkeep it would be difficult and not very profitable to do it without a gas company involved.
Maybe @RoamingGnome friends had the right idea to find a property that already has a well!

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:34 pm
by thebuildist
"Free came at a cost of being unreliable..."

Are we talking about wind and solar now?

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 pm
by Eugen
thebuildist wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:34 pm "Free came at a cost of being unreliable..."

Are we talking about wind and solar now?

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
New topic in Everything else! Go for it, break the ice! :rofl:

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:13 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 pm @Eugen I agree with you. Although corporate greed certainly isn’t a new phenomenon, it sure seems to have grown exponentially in our lifetime.
@Spike188 brings up a big con on the whole idea. 3/16 of the revenue to sell you mineral rights. And it would absolutely be my luck they would shut down production in February without me having enough storage to make it to spring.
If you own your mineral rights I believe a fellow can drill for them if he wanted to in a lot of areas, but when you figure all the up front costs of permits, drill rig, materials, needed equipment, and then the upkeep it would be difficult and not very profitable to do it without a gas company involved.
Maybe @RoamingGnome friends had the right idea to find a property that already has a well!
In Canada , we do not own the mineral rights . The Federal government does unless it sells/leases it to a third party , but is governed by the local Municipality . Up here when you buy a property you are only buying the top 18" of the soil . That is why when you dig for a foundation , septic, pool , or change the elevation of the land ect. you must get a Permit (ask for permission ) to dig beyound the 18" . This is why most gas lines ect. are only 18" -24" below grade here . Thats only as far as they have to go Not to be on private land , it's under it .

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:17 pm
by JSinMO
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:13 am
JSinMO wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 pm @Eugen I agree with you. Although corporate greed certainly isn’t a new phenomenon, it sure seems to have grown exponentially in our lifetime.
In Canada , we do not own the mineral rights . The Federal government does unless it sells/leases it to a third party , but is governed by the local Municipality . Up here when you buy a property you are only buying the top 18" of the soil . That is why when you dig for a foundation , septic, pool , or change the elevation of the land ect. you must get a Permit (ask for permission ) to dig beyound the 18" . This is why most gas lines ect. are only 18" -24" below grade here . Thats only as far as they have to go Not to be on private land , it's under it .
Wow that is totally foreign to me. The only permitting we have is a building permit and in my area it’s so rural we really don’t even have that. I wouldn’t disparage what the rules are in other areas, and certainly not another country, but if I’m buying ground I expect to be buying all of it, not just the dust on top.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:07 pm
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:17 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:13 am In Canada , we do not own the mineral rights . The Federal government does unless it sells/leases it to a third party , but is governed by the local Municipality . Up here when you buy a property you are only buying the top 18" of the soil . That is why when you dig for a foundation , septic, pool , or change the elevation of the land ect. you must get a Permit (ask for permission ) to dig beyound the 18" . This is why most gas lines ect. are only 18" -24" below grade here . Thats only as far as they have to go Not to be on private land , it's under it .
Wow that is totally foreign to me. The only permitting we have is a building permit and in my area it’s so rural we really don’t even have that. I wouldn’t disparage what the rules are in other areas, and certainly not another country, but if I’m buying ground I expect to be buying all of it, not just the dust on top.
I didn't know that either. :headbash:

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 pm
by JSinMO
Spent some time in the shop continuing on the carry all project.

I started off mocking up the side walls.
IMG_4394.jpeg
I was going to make them in this configuration and make some stake pockets so I could take them off. But the more I messed with it the less I liked it. Too bulky looking and I think they would flop around too much.
I happened to have an old piece of plywood so i added some blocking and made the floor next.
IMG_4395.jpeg
I rebuilt the sides and made them flatter and permanently attached to the frame with lag bolts.
IMG_4397.jpeg
IMG_4396.jpeg

They are pretty solid but I figured I should tie it all together to stiffen everything up a little more. I cut a couple of pieces of metal and made some corner brackets. Much more solid now.
IMG_4401.jpeg
IMG_4400.jpeg
I also made two L brackets for the back end. I still have to attach them. That should make the box pretty solid.
IMG_4399.jpeg
I think that should about wrap this project up! At some point I may make a tail gate but it’s useful as is.
Is it perfect? Not hardly!
Could a guy have done it differently or better? Yup!
But this should work fine for my needs. This was a fun little project made just about completely with material that was headed for the dumpster. Instead of trash now it’s something useful.

As always thanks for following along! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:08 pm
by RoamingGnome
Thanks for sharing, :thumbsup:
Looks like a very useful addition for the tractor, and being recycled is a bonus!
:cheers:

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:33 am
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO Looks great , I am a big beleaver in re-purposing when ever I can as well . On that note , a set of old tire chains and some hooks would make a great tailgate "netting " . Just enough to keep the big stuff from rattling off and the small stuff in pails .

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:30 am
by Timj
Nice job, that's going to be really handy. :thumbsup: Those projects that you can do with material you already have and minimal $$$$ always seem the most rewarding. Maybe it's because it gives me justification for saving things. :106:

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:18 am
by Eugen
Great job Jeff, you inspired me to build one after we move. :highfive:

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:00 pm
by Harry
Terrific job Jeff. Very useful and like you said made with repurposed materials. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:52 pm
by JSinMO
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the comments! :thumbsup:

That’s a good idea using tire chains for a tail net Mr. Dave. Not sure what I’m going to do yet. I think I still have the hinges off my grandparents old barn. Kinda thought about make some type of drop down end gate like a pickup.
Tim I get “talked too” about saving all these odds and ends quite a bit. :109: :bla: :fight: Every time I use something from the old empire of dirt I always make sure my :wife: knows about it! I say see that why we save this stuff!

If my shenanigans in some way inspired anyone to take on a project I’d say that about the nicest compliment a fella could get, thanks Eugen!

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:20 pm
by JSinMO
Well fellas we ended up with the “C” sickness again. :sigh: Thankfully this time hasn’t been as bad as before. No long illness this time. We’re getting back on our feet after a week of being pretty sick. I’m still tired but today was so nice I made myself get moving. I would have felt guilty to do nothing.

I decided to work on the brush cutter. The blades are stuck and pretty worn so the job is to break the seized bolts loose and change the blades out.
First order of business is to go get the 648 and flip the mower over.
IMG_4406.jpeg
IMG_4407.jpeg
I know you’re sick of hearing me say it, but I just can’t help it. Dang this thing is sure handy to have around! :D
The bolts that hold the blades on are really stuck. Out came the air hammer, rail road bar, big hammers, etc. I ended up with the 3/4 breaker bar and a big cheater pipe and they finally broke loose!
IMG_4408.jpeg
I cleaned everything up and went over the threads it all went back together smoothly! These aren’t new blades, but they have a lot more meat on them than the stuck ones that came off it.
IMG_4411.jpeg
All that’s left is to flip it back over and check the oil in the gearbox. But that will wait I’m ready to go in and relax for a bit!

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:52 pm
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO Glad you are back on your feet again . Hardest thing for doers is not being able to do things . I am surprised you got it apart with out the use of the blue-flame spanner .

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:41 pm
by Eugen
Wish you a speedy recovery, Jeff. Looks like Spring there, no wonder you're getting the brush cutter ready. :)

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:04 am
by JSinMO
Thanks guys. I thought I would need the torch as well but luckily I was able to get enough pressure on the bolts to get them to pop loose. I wish it was spring instead of just going into winter! There are still some holes in the deck I should patch but it’ll be ready when the grass starts growing again!

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:45 pm
by JSinMO
Well the rain stopped for awhile today and I just couldn’t sit in the house anymore. Didn’t really feel like starting any projects but Herbie the truck has been sitting awhile, good day to wake him up and run for a bit.

He was slow to come alive but eventually started. I think the battery is just about done.
IMG_4416.jpeg
We went for about a 5 mile drive it hummed right along! Not much of a trip, but, its the longest one this old truck has made in 36 years!
IMG_4417.jpeg
That was so much fun I hopped on the 446 and just putted around for awhile!
IMG_4419.jpeg
Kinda nice to just play around a bit with no need to get the tools out!

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:44 pm
by Eugen
Haha, I'm like that too, at some point I just need to get out and do something. Taking Herbie for a drive is something I'd enjoy for sure! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:01 pm
by JSinMO
Well the weathers turned cold almost like it’s winter or something! Still pretty muddy around here but I had a little time this afternoon so I thought I’d stage some projects close to the shop to be pulled in and worked on soon.

The 446 got the call to be today’s tow motor. Since I don’t have a selector valve I did the quick and dirty. I raised the blade and ran a strap around it and unhooked the lift bar. Now I can use the 3 point without the blade digging into the ground. Redneck solution for sure but it works! :))
IMG_4442.jpeg
My crappy rewelded hitch it working just fine. Pulled the #37 mower around and couldn’t even tell it was back there.
IMG_4441.jpeg
Next I went and got the old David Bradly mower that’s been sitting in the weeds for quite awhile now.
IMG_4443.jpeg
The 446 has plenty of power to yank stuff around but those turf tires suck. Did a lot of spinning trying to pull the old mower out of the holes the tires sunk in. Had to sit on the fender to get traction and eventually it came out. At some point I’ll come across some weights or make some concrete ones.

This mower is old and not in great shape. I’m just not sure what I’ll do with it. Figured I’d pull it in the shop and go over it to see if I want to keep it or not.
IMG_4444.jpeg
IMG_4445.jpeg
That’s enough for today, time to go down to the house and get a cup of coffee!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all have a great start to the new year! :congrats:

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:18 pm
by Eugen
You had some fun there. I did the same chain trick to my blade when I was using it on the 446. :65:

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:08 pm
by MattA
You could add some weights to the 3pt.
How big is the number 37 sickle bar mower? Looks huge in the pictures.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:08 pm
by JSinMO
MattA wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:08 pm You could add some weights to the 3pt.
How big is the number 37 sickle bar mower? Looks huge in the pictures.
I thought about that too. I’ve got some square weighs that I’ll use in the carry all box when I use the blade but I need to find something for 3 point use.
That # 37 is 10 feet long and with the bar down in mowing position it’s about 12 feet wide. Around 5 feet wide with the bar in the stowed position. It looks a little more proportional behind the tractor I use it on.
IMG_4446.png

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:48 pm
by JSinMO
I realize your probably tired of seeing old sickle mowers, but since it a damp cloudy winter day I thought you all might enjoy coming into the shop for todays exercise in percussive maintenance! That’s right we’re going to take a couple of BFH’s and beat the snot out of it! :D :smash:
IMG_4458.jpeg
Now this thing did a decent job last year over all but it did have its hiccups. Second cutting was the worst, the mower was dog tracking behind the tractor pretty bad and it kept plugging up. I got a heck of a workout getting on and off the tractor lifting the bar and clearing plugged grass! :cuss: I was pretty annoyed by the end of the day and figured it needed some maintenance and adjustment. Boy was I right! :headbash:

First thing I see I one of the rock guards is missing its ledger plate. If you think of the cutting action like a bunch of scissors going back and forth a missing ledger is like only having half a pair of scissors. Luckily I have some spares laying around. Hopefully you can see the difference in this picture.
IMG_4459.jpeg
That was easy enough. I thought I’d check function next. You typically can turn the PTO shaft by hand and see everything moving, but not in this case, the knives are stuck in the bar! :headbash:
Every two rock guards on the bar also have a wear plate and hold down that keeps the knives in proper orientation. I removed them and pulled the knife out.
IMG_4462.jpeg
Two wear plates were worn out but luckily I had some new ones on the shelf. A little time with a scrapper, and wire wheel, reassembled and now it moves freely! That two problems fixed.

Next let’s check the bar alignment. According to the manual the outside of the bar should be 1 3/4” to 2” forward of the inside of the bar. Yup you guessed it, it’s out of spec. This is important because the resistance of the grass will push the bar back to straight when mowing and it will move easier through the hay.
IMG_4463.jpeg
The bar moves back and forth on an eccentric and wouldn’t you know it’s rusted solid in its bore. :109:
IMG_4464.jpeg
Off comes the bar and in come big fricking hammer number one! :rofl: it actually came loose fairly easily. And I was able to get it adjusted to 2”.
That’s problem number three taken care of. Let’s see if the knife timing is good. Nope! It’s not even close to being in register. Thinking scissors again being out of time is like trying to cut a piece of paper but your scissors only close halfway.

IMG_4465.jpeg
Got everything loose on the drag link and reached for the bigger BFH and started swinging for the fence! :rofl:
It moved much easier that the other mower I worked on. This looks much better.
IMG_4466.jpeg
Given all the broken, worn out, and misaligned parts I am shocked this thing cut hay at all! This of course falls on my shoulders, I should have done this before but I made the fatal error of assuming. :45:
I’m expecting a much better experience this upcoming season!

Well that about wraps up my “do a better job maintaining your equipment” rambling for today! :rofl:
Thanks for coming along! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:59 am
by Eugen
I always enjoy the next instalment of "Messing around the shop". Thank you for sharing and having the patience to describe what you were doing. It's a great learning experience for me. Never crossed my mind a sickle mower has any adjustments at all :109: which shows how naive I can be. :giggle:

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:52 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:59 am I always enjoy the next instalment of "Messing around the shop". Thank you for sharing and having the patience to describe what you were doing. It's a great learning experience for me. Never crossed my mind a sickle mower has any adjustments at all :109: which shows how naive I can be. :giggle:
Thanks Eugen. I don’t think it’s naive at all. If I’ve never used a machine before there’s no way I could now what it needs to work properly. If someone wanted to attach one of those belly sickle mowers to a GT the procedures to set it up would be very similar.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:57 pm
by JSinMO
Well fellas I don’t expect everything to go right all the time but man I sure had an aggravating time in the shop tonight! :109: :cuss: :headbash: :hitsfan:

We have snow in the forecast for overnight and I thought it would be a good idea to check things over so I’m ready in case I need to plow.
I have the tractors staged with the 2N behind the 446. That Ford refuses to start!
IMG_4515.jpeg
I fiddled with it for a couple of hours! I’m seeing problems it never had before. It’s got an intermittent spark issue and now the carb is dripping gas. I started looking into the ignition system. Here’s a picture that should be familiar to @Toolslinger !
IMG_4516.jpeg
That front mount distributor is a pain in the :cuss:
I cleaned up all the contacts, then went through the carburetor then flooded it went through it all again and never got it started. I had myself so turned around and worked up I threw in the towel. :109: :124:
At this point I have no clue. I’m going to have start over with a fresh mind another day.

Unfortunately the 446 is being and blocked in. Of course it fired right up! So I used it to push the 2N out of the way and then back in the shop.
IMG_4520.jpeg
Then it died! I let is sit while I checked fuel and got a meter to check voltage to the coil. All checked good. I hit the key and started right up, so no idea what that was about. I test the blade and realized with the weight on the 3 point it wants to bleed down and drag the ground. Good grief what next. I chained the 3 point up and set the lift rod for the blade a notch lower now its working. And not a moment to soon!
IMG_4521.jpeg
I really like having a backup machine just in case but this time around if I need to move snow the 446 is going to have to get it done by itself!

Thanks for listening to my ramble! Sometimes it’s nice to be able to vent to a group that’s been there and understands!

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:18 am
by Eugen
One of those days Jeff! But in the end it worked out at least partially and you got the 446 ready. What's going to get you more mad is that you'll find some simple thing wrong with the 2n. Sometimes you're tired or just is meant to be that. At least it happens to us with vintage tractors. Imagine how those folks feel when it happens to their shiny new green machines. :109:

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:33 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:18 am One of those days Jeff! But in the end it worked out at least partially and you got the 446 ready. What's going to get you more mad is that you'll find some simple thing wrong with the 2n. Sometimes you're tired or just is meant to be that. At least it happens to us with vintage tractors. Imagine how those folks feel when it happens to their shiny new green machines. :109:
I know you’re right. This is the first winter I’ve had the Ford and I did very little to get it running. Cold weather has a way of exposing problems. Im thinking I’ll get a few things to tune it up and just take my time to go over it. There’s no reason it shouldn’t start on a cold day. I think what got me so aggravated is I was expecting to go move things around and run for a bit and the 2N decided to smack me in the face! I guess I know what my next shop project will be!

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:06 pm
by JSinMO
Well since I’ll be messing with the 2N and I’ll be in the shop I’m hoping we can continue the conversation here!

I thought I’d recap the situation. I got this tractor back in July and it had been sitting for 5 years. I got it running and used it through the fall with no real issues. The cold weather however is a different story. It does not want to start in the cold! My last attempt as you can see above ended in failure :109:
I want to use this tractor for winter work so I’m going to try and get it more reliable.

I have found two issues, intermittent spark, and fuel delivery.

I have questions for the group. Have you ever changed to a different heat range on spark plugs? If so what difference did it make?

I usually just replace what was in an engine but this time I went to a “hotter” plug. The plugs that are in it now have been in there who know how long and have been fouled who know how many times. Looking at them the engine seems to be running on the rich side and it has a tendency to flood so I decided to go to a higher heat range plug and see what happens.

I also know at least 1 plug wire and maybe more are arcing to ground so I got a new set too.

I never checked the timing when I first got it going, it seemed to run fine so I didn’t worry about. But now I’m thinking I need to check it and maybe advance it a touch to see if it helps starting.

The last thing im going to check is the electronic ignition module just to make sure it was installed properly and hasn’t come loose in the distributor. As @myerslawnandgarden pointed out it seems to need a fast cranking speed to work correctly so I’ll have to make sure the battery is charged.

As far as the fuel side of things I went through the carburetor when I got the tractor running and didn’t really see anything concerning, except for the gaskets had seen better days, but now I see it is dripping gas so I got new ones and I’ll be going through the carburetor again just to make sure it’s clear.

That’s the plan and I’ll try and get some pictures up of the work. Thank you for following along with my rambling and if you have a thought, comment, or idea I surly appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:11 pm
by Eugen
Puzzling issue for sure. I'm positive you'll fix it soon. Does it start with a shot of ether?

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:24 am
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:11 pm Puzzling issue for sure. I'm positive you'll fix it soon. Does it start with a shot of ether?
I did give it a whiff and it didn’t fire. That’s where I stopped last time. Thought I better walk away and come back later with a plan!

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:10 am
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO A few things to check for . The gap between the relutor and the pickup in the distributor . Clean/tight connections of wiring in and out of distributor . Side to side movement (ware) in the distributor .

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:59 am
by Toolslinger
If you haven't run across this before, give it a read. Lots of good stuff in there for the N's.
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/pages/artint268/

I wish I could tell you what plugs are in my N. They've been in there forever now, and keep going. I'll see if we noted it in the maintenance log. (I'm sure they did, but finding that detail might be a challenge)

Getting stating fluid to it is a challenge with the oil bath air filter. I guess you could pop the intake hose off the carb to give it a shot.

Keeping the battery topped is an excellent idea. Though they don't leak down badly, when you're only starting with 6v, even a little loss becomes an issue fast. Any wiring should really be solid copper, not the crappy new copper plated aluminum. I've started throwing a charger on mine the day, or night before a storm.

Plug wires can be an issue I've read. That tips article has some of that in there. Comes down to use copper core wires rather than the more modern options.

The carb is really pretty simple, so a good cleaning, and new seals, and hopefully you're in business. I've had the occasional dripping issue, and I kinda attribute that to a crappy float valve, and the ethanol. Could also be a spec of rust on the valve face or seat. All the screens (3 of them) do a pretty good job keeping crud out of the carb, but nothing is perfect. I've never looked for the info on setting the float level. Could be as simple as a little bend is needed in yours after all the years on it.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:35 am
by JSinMO
Good stuff guys, thank you!

@DavidBarkey luckily the previous owner gave me a binder full of information for the tractor including the instructions for the Pertronics ignition. I’ll be going over the things you mentioned.

@Toolslinger i have not seen the information in the link you posted before. I saved it to my bookmarks. I did make the correct guess on a couple of things that are in there. Good spark plug wires for one. The other is the plugs. The tractor has the Champion H10s in it now and I spent about a half hour at the O’Reillys trying to explain to the guy what plug I wanted. They had no guide for the different heat ranges. I guessed on a set of Autolight AL437. That’s what the guide suggested so I guess I’m headed in the right direction.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:14 pm
by JSinMO
Well I guess it’s time to put the plan into action!
I didn’t even bother to try and start the 2N. I just put a chain to 446 and pulled it where I wanted it.
IMG_4536.jpeg
Speaking of the 446, heres a tractor that hasn’t been show much love in its previously live. Wrong paint, cobbled up steering, filthy dirty, and some times likes to smoke like a freight train under a full load! Yet it starts and runs just dandy in at any temperature from 100F+ ,to well below freezing. Why can’t they all be like that? :D

The heats on in the shop, we’ve got a thermos of coffee and the radio cranked up, so let’s get after it!
I started with the ignition and pulled the alternator off the tractor to make room. I was going to take the hood off but with a half tank of gas it a real pain to get off.

The plug wires are a mess. :109: there dry and cracked, and number 2 wire dang near has a hole rubbed in it. No wonder it’s having spark issues!
IMG_4537.jpeg
Went to put the new plugs in and hears a tip, always check your spark gap. Four new plugs, four smashed down electrodes!
IMG_4538.jpeg
The new plugs do have a longer porcelain, hopefully they’ll work better!
IMG_4543.jpeg

On to the distributor. It’s all but impossible to get at it while on the tractor. I had to stick my phone in there and get a picture to see what’s going on.
IMG_4540.jpeg
I did find some of the mounting hardware loose so they got tightened and I cleaned it up but all in all it looks fine. Bushings feel tight. I looked at the paperwork for the electric ignition and searched online and I dont see any reference to a specific air gap between the magnetic ring and the pick up. All I found was that they shouldn’t touch.

Next I looked in the book for the procedure to change the timing and guess what? The early N series tractor have no timing marks!
IMG_4541.jpeg
I know it’s has to be close because I know it will run and there no way I’m sticking my hand in there next to fan to bump the adjustment. That’s a bridge to far for todays adventure. If I want to give it a little advance that will have to wait till I decide to pull the fan off.
With ignition system all buttoned up I checked for spark and it look great now, good solid spark! :69:

Let’s move on the the carburetor. I pulled it off the tractor and disassembled it. As you can see the gaskets are shot.
IMG_4544.jpeg
IMG_4546.jpeg
I cleaned all the surfaces and made sure all the ports were clear. Then put it back on the tractor.

I looked over everything and the thought came to me to check the starter. If I have a poor connection there it would draw more voltage, which would be less voltage getting the ignition.
IMG_4547.jpeg
With that done I figured there’s nothing left to do but give it a try!

Gas on.
Throttle set.
Choke set.
Clutch depressed.
Switch on.
And here we go…..
IMG_4548.jpeg
The engine make 2 revolutions and came to life! :congrats: :69: YES!!!

But wait a minute, now I’m not building oil pressure :cuss: :headbash:

I shut it down quickly and started looking it over. I cracked the line to the gauge thinking maybe it went bad. And cranked again nope no pressure! :109:
I tried to start the tractor one more time and now I’m back to no start! :109: :cuss: :headbash:

I pulled the plugs and there dry. So there still a fuel issue. And right now I have no idea why. I also rechecked spark and it still looks great. So at least I accomplished something.
That’s were I’m stopping for today :124:

So my thought is the oil pump probably just lost prime from sitting so next time I’ll try to prime it and see if I get pressure.

I have no idea what’s going on with fuel delivery. I have flow to the carburetor, I can feel suction at the air intake with my hand over it. I can see gas in the throat of the carburetor, so why isn’t it making it the cylinders?
Anybody got some tips on an updraft carburetor for me to look at?

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 pm
by Toolslinger
Just as an idiot check, 'cause I've been there...
You did open the fuel valve out of the tank again right? Have enough fuel that it ins't in to the "reserve" portion of the tank that requires opening the valve all the way?

The N, and the MF 202 are the only things we shut off the fuel valves to. I've lost track of how many times I've managed to forget that tidbit... I have a tag with a magnet holding it on the hood that says "Fuel Off" on the 202. The N doesn't get that as it gets used more, so naturally I forget that one.

The oil pressure thing is more scary. Mine takes a second or two to come up. Worse when it's real cold, but it does come up.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:37 pm
by Toolslinger
Also... You have fuel flow out the bottom of the carb? Not just at the end of the fuel line? I about lost it until I found the screen on that inlet elbow...

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:26 pm
by Eugen
Jeff, this reminds me of my old Massey. There was quite a lot of crud in the tank which often plugged the first screen going to the water separater, you know, the glass bowl. It too had a screen. But still I put a fuel filter in between it and the carburetor. I think you're close to a fix.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:24 am
by JSinMO
Toolslinger wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 pm Just as an idiot check, 'cause I've been there...
You did open the fuel valve out of the tank again right? Have enough fuel that it ins't in to the "reserve" portion of the tank that requires opening the valve all the way?

The N, and the MF 202 are the only things we shut off the fuel valves to. I've lost track of how many times I've managed to forget that tidbit... I have a tag with a magnet holding it on the hood that says "Fuel Off" on the 202. The N doesn't get that as it gets used more, so naturally I forget that one.

The oil pressure thing is more scary. Mine takes a second or two to come up. Worse when it's real cold, but it does come up.
:rofl: I’ve been there to. I’ve driven off before and then had a tractor die and then remember it won’t run if the gas is off! In this instance the fuel is on, with a half tank of gas and I have flow from the plug in the bottom of the carburetor. @Eugen the tank in this tractor is surprisingly clean no rust or gunk to be found.
That why this is kind of perplexing. A simple updraft fuel system from the 40s isn’t very complicated. I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what I’m missing? Before I even mess with that though I have to figure out the oil pressure issue. Another head scratcher, everything has been fine running good for months why loose pressure now?

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:51 pm
by Eugen
hm.. Plugged screen on the oil pump intake? Old ones are subject to sludge.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:07 pm
by JSinMO
Well this Ford has been on my mind all last night. I just wasn’t able to wrap my mind around what was happening. So did some reading and thinking and tried again today. :writing:

First thing to figure out is the no oil pressure situation. I decided to prime the pump. I don’t know if you can see it but that 15/16” bolt has to come out to access the pump. It’s right next to the coil under the water pump.
IMG_4549.jpeg
Once you get that out you’ll find the pressure relief valve and spring.
IMG_4550.jpeg
I put about a cup of 90weight in and closed it up. Cranked the engine and I got good oil pressure back. So why did it lose prime? I can think of a few reasons and none of them make me happy. The most likely suspect is the pick up tube. I’ll bet it’s loose or cracked. I’ll have to keep an eye on it. I might be dropping the pan at some point.

With that out of the way I decided to see if it would start. Nope just crank and crank. I looked at everything I could think of. Had the carburetor off and apart, tried running the starter off a separate battery, heck I even pulled the side cover off the motor to watch the valves!
IMG_4551.jpeg
After about as much as I could take it finally hit! Once it started it sounded good. Good oil pressure and ran fine.
But is still is very hard to restart. A lot of cranking and it shouldn’t be especially with the engine warmed up.

I finally got it to start back up a few times but something still isn’t right. I think I have the carburetor tuned about as good as I can get it. But I did notice the linkage to the governor is pretty worn so if I can fix that it may be better.

After all this it seem to me that Bob @myerslawnandgarden is absolutely right. That ignition system is a big part of the problem. I noticed a few time that the engine would start a just as I was letting off the starter button. That’s indicating to me that the ignition is not getting enough voltage while the starter is engaged. Not sure what I do about that. I wish I could put points back in it and see what the difference is.

I will probably switch the battery to one that is less than a year old and I think it’s 650 CCA that should be enough to spin it over.
At least some progress is being made. I know you can’t tell but it’s running in the picture!
IMG_4552.jpeg

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:48 am
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO Not ever worked on one of these so bear with me . 3 things came to mind . 1 Quality of the ground at the starter . 2 The starter brushes/commutator surface and bushing/bearings?? Is the starter hard to remove ? It "looks" simple from the pics. 3 Starter solenoid . Is it one that can be removed and taken apart and the contacts cleaned/polished ?
Trying a different battery if the one you are using is subject is a good idea as well. Happy hunting . I think there was many things causing this and you almost got them all now .

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:32 am
by Eugen
This tractor is not familiar to me but am following along with interest. I got one of these spark plug light testers which help me when I suspect the firing strength.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 09.19.53.png

Once you get used to it by seeing the light strength on a few engine you'll be able to tell if enough goes to the spark plug. When something puzzles me much I tend to go back to the basics. To detonate the engine needs air/gas mix, spark, and compression. Not sure you checked, but it's pretty unlikely you don't have enough compression on ALL cylinders. If spark and gas mixture were good I'd expect at least one cylinder to fire. You already did several look overs to the carb and fuel delivery system, so let's say that's not the culprit. We're left with the spark, just as you said. I'm not telling you anything new. :D :violin:

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:01 am
by Toolslinger
Those inline spark checkers are wonderful things... That's what helped me find the inconsistent spark on the 444.

Another thought... My key switch doesn't stop me from hitting the starter button. It'll crank till the cows come home (and there haven't been cows here for over 50 years), but it won't fire with the key off. Might be worth checking for any sketchy wiring along that path as well.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:04 am
by Harry
Like you said Eugen, back to the basics. I always remember from shop class that for an engine to run you need three things. Ignition or spark, fuel and compression. I think your close to getting figured out. :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:23 pm
by Eugen
Toolslinger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:01 am Those inline spark checkers are wonderful things... That's what helped me find the inconsistent spark on the 444.

Another thought... My key switch doesn't stop me from hitting the starter button. It'll crank till the cows come home (and there haven't been cows here for over 50 years), but it won't fire with the key off. Might be worth checking for any sketchy wiring along that path as well.
That's a really good point, I've had a problem with starting my Case 224 and it was the ignition switch. Along the ignition circuit is also the grounding. :|

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:14 pm
by JSinMO
Excellent points fellas! Thank you :highfive:

This is my first Ford and electronic ignition as well. Not that that’s a bad thing! I am learning! Of course somethings are universal but as you know old things have their own nuances and quirks!

So I don’t have a compression tester on hand but doing the rudimentary thumb over the hole I’m more than satisfied it has good compression, and with my hand over the throat of the carburetor while cranking it sucks hard enough to leave a mark on my hand. so I feel confident to mark that off the list.

After being through the carburetor enough times now to be able to tear it down blindfolded, and the fact that when I do get it to run it work great. Throttles up and back to idle fine. I may have some minor adjustments to make later and that linkage to look into but I’m comfortable to mark fuel off the list at this point.

So that leaves spark and I’m having the same thoughts as you guys. I did some more homework last night. :writing:
I’m saw some information that the Autolight 437 plugs I got aren’t the best choice for the early front mount distributors. Apparently the square coils don’t put out the amps to give good spark to that plug and they should be used with the later N series with the side mount distributors and newer style round coils. They suggest an Autolight 216 plug gapped at .020 for the square coil. Is this interwebs BS? I don’t know but I figured it couldn’t hurt to try so I picked up a set of 216s. I think the next step will also include going over the electrical system from one end to the other as you guys mentioned. I think pulling the starter and checking it out is a good idea too. Thankfully this is about as simple a system that there is!

This does lead me to a couple of questions for the group though. Take a look at this picture.
IMG_4555.jpeg
That crusty thing on the right is the original ballast resistor.

Question 1). Am I correct in my thought that the reason for the ballast resistor is to give full voltage to the coil when cold and reduced voltage to the coil when hot in an effort to give the points a longer life?

Question 2). If I’m correct about question 1 than why can’t I eliminate it? There are no points and the coil is 12 volt. since the idea here is to eliminate resistance in the circuit would it not be better with out it?

As always fella thank for coming along with me, and thanks for sharing your knowledge! :worship: :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:18 pm
by MattA
Let me start out by saying I have limited knowledge of old farm tractors. I grew up the son of an electrical engineer and became one myself. We do both like old farm tractors...
The slow cranking speed as others may have said could be related to poor connections. For example a 0.01 ohm dirty corroded connection creates a 2 volt drop at 200 ramps. That's one third of your 6V battery voltage. Start by cleaning both sides of each connection and the hardware in the high current path from your battery to the starter. Be sure to get both the positive and negative wires.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:50 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
JSinMO wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:14 pm Excellent points fellas! Thank you :highfive:

This is my first Ford and electronic ignition as well. Not that that’s a bad thing! I am learning! Of course somethings are universal but as you know old things have their own nuances and quirks!

So I don’t have a compression tester on hand but doing the rudimentary thumb over the hole I’m more than satisfied it has good compression, and with my hand over the throat of the carburetor while cranking it sucks hard enough to leave a mark on my hand. so I feel confident to mark that off the list.

After being through the carburetor enough times now to be able to tear it down blindfolded, and the fact that when I do get it to run it work great. Throttles up and back to idle fine. I may have some minor adjustments to make later and that linkage to look into but I’m comfortable to mark fuel off the list at this point.

So that leaves spark and I’m having the same thoughts as you guys. I did some more homework last night. :writing:
I’m saw some information that the Autolight 437 plugs I got aren’t the best choice for the early front mount distributors. Apparently the square coils don’t put out the amps to give good spark to that plug and they should be used with the later N series with the side mount distributors and newer style round coils. They suggest an Autolight 216 plug gapped at .020 for the square coil. Is this interwebs BS? I don’t know but I figured it couldn’t hurt to try so I picked up a set of 216s. I think the next step will also include going over the electrical system from one end to the other as you guys mentioned. I think pulling the starter and checking it out is a good idea too. Thankfully this is about as simple a system that there is!

This does lead me to a couple of questions for the group though. Take a look at this picture.

IMG_4555.jpeg

That crusty thing on the right is the original ballast resistor.

Question 1). Am I correct in my thought that the reason for the ballast resistor is to give full voltage to the coil when cold and reduced voltage to the coil when hot in an effort to give the points a longer life?

Question 2). If I’m correct about question 1 than why can’t I eliminate it? There are no points and the coil is 12 volt. since the idea here is to eliminate resistance in the circuit would it not be better with out it?

As always fella thank for coming along with me, and thanks for sharing your knowledge! :worship: :thumbsup:
Again, not familiar with the old Fords but regarding question #1, at least in automobiles back before electronic ignition the ignition system received full battery voltage when cranking and once the key returned to the run position the voltage was routed through the ballast resistor. The purpose was to extend point life with the lower voltage. As for question #2, I would see no reason for a ballast resistor with the electronic ignition but I don't think eliminating it will resolve your starting problem as it should not be reducing voltage until the engine starts.

One thing you mentioned caught my attention, you stated "There are no points and the coil is 12 volt." I know you also said it was still a 6 volt system and has not been converted. Remember, I'm far from an expert but is it possible that you don't have enough voltage to power a 12 volt coil especially with the voltage drop during cranking?

Something to think about,

Bob

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:31 pm
by JSinMO
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:50 pm [
One thing you mentioned caught my attention, you stated "There are no points and the coil is 12 volt." I know you also said it was still a 6 volt system and has not been converted. Remember, I'm far from an expert but is it possible that you don't have enough voltage to power a 12 volt coil especially with the voltage drop during cranking?

Bob
I’m sorry Bob if I said that I mis spoke. This is NOT a 6 volt system. It was converted to 12 volt before I got it. So 12 volt battery, 12 volt coil, single wire alternator and the 12 volt ignition module replacing the points and condenser. I try to explain what I’m working on, or what I have the best I can if I mis represented that please forgive me.

As you said there should be no reason for the ballast resister to be in the circuit but it shouldn’t affect anything. The reason I’m thinking it would be good to delete it is along the lines of what @MattA was saying. It’s a pretty rusty, nasty connection point that runs to the coil. If it’s no longer necessary instead of trying to clean it I can make better connections with out it. It sounds like I’m ok to bypass it if I decide too.

Thank you guys for the help, I appreciate it!

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:55 pm
by Toolslinger
Bob - That was me with the original 6v system on my N. I'm not much help on the 12v conversion in use here unfortunatly, but I put my $0.02 in on the overall N setup... My "big" tractors date from 1970 - 1948, so I'm solidly in the antique tractor owner club, and I get to fight all the antique issues... Pretty bad when my Case machines are almost the newest equipment at my place...

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:28 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
JSinMO wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:31 pm
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:50 pm [

Bob
I’m sorry Bob if I said that I mis spoke. This is NOT a 6 volt system. It was converted to 12 volt before I got it. So 12 volt battery, 12 volt coil, single wire alternator and the 12 volt ignition module replacing the points and condenser. I try to explain what I’m working on, or what I have the best I can if I mis represented that please forgive me.

As you said there should be no reason for the ballast resister to be in the circuit but it shouldn’t affect anything. The reason I’m thinking it would be good to delete it is along the lines of what @MattA was saying. It’s a pretty rusty, nasty connection point that runs to the coil. If it’s no longer necessary instead of trying to clean it I can make better connections with out it. It sounds like I’m ok to bypass it if I decide too.

Thank you guys for the help, I appreciate it!
Sorry if I got the posts confused, you did say that your's was converted to 12v. Hell to get old, lol.

Bob

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:16 am
by JSinMO
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:28 pm Sorry if I got the posts confused, you did say that your's was converted to 12v. Hell to get old, lol.

Bob
No worries Bob, I appreciate your input! :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:12 pm
by JSinMO
Well this Ford is turning into quite the project! Had a little time this evening so I decided to pull the starter and have a look.
IMG_4557.jpeg
Didn’t really see anything that surprised me. I went ahead and took it apart to look at the commutator.
IMG_4558.jpeg
I decided to clean it up some. There are probably guys out there shaking their heads but it’s better than it was.
IMG_4559.jpeg
Bushings looked good, I gave them just a little lube. The brushes looked like they still had plenty of life. Put it all back together and bench tested it just to make sure I didn’t screw anything up. I shined up the contact area on the tractor and put it back on. That’s about as good as I can make it!

I gave the wiring a glance and it doesn’t seem quit right. The way it is wired now the alternator has constant 12 volts supplied to it. I think it should be on the switch. I’ll have to find out for sure but I guess that will be next!

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:50 am
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO
I am assuming this is what you have on there as it is the most popular conversion.
image.png

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 pm
by JSinMO
I was looking forward to working in the shop today but of course I got called into work. On my way home I stopped by a friend’s place who is also a tractor / anything mechanical nut. He’d fit in good here! I talked to him about bypassing the resistor and he said don’t because the alternator will put to much voltage to the coil. Then he reached into a box on his shelf and pulled a new one out and handed it to me! So that’s the route I’m going, I’d say it needed replacement!
IMG_4564.jpeg
I cleaned up the contacts on the switch and tested it and it looks good. New volt gauge and some heavier wire. I also added an inline fuse. I’ve had wiring rub and go to ground before. That lets the magic smoke out real quick!

Its nothing to write home about but it all should work just fine.
IMG_4565.jpeg
Last thing to do is put the AL216 plugs in. With that done the only thing left it give it a wirl. I hit the button and it started right up! I shut it off and restarted several times and it started immediately each time.
IMG_4566.jpeg
I’m very happy with the results but to be fair we’re having very mild weather so I guess the last test will be when the cold comes back! I think I’ll have to use it some with good results before I trust my work but it’s looking good!

So what was the actual problem? Could have been any of the things I went over and I suppose it really doesn’t matter, everything I worked on needed attention.

Last time I started the tractor the alternator started making a lot of noise. I put my meter on and it’s not charging. Dang so close to being done! I pulled it off and the bearings sound a little crunchy! I think it’s shot.
So I’ll have to do some looking, I have no idea how plentiful 1 wire alternators are.
IMG_4568.jpeg
IMG_4569.jpeg
All in all a satisfying evening in the shop!

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:56 am
by Harry
JSinMo, thanks for taking us along on your rebuild troubleshooting journey. I know myself when I’m in the middle of a project, hands dirty and greasy the last thing I want to do and sometimes even think to do is clean my hands and grab the phone to take some pics. Then document the project with narrative and post pics. I thank you for diligence and perseverance. :highfive: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:21 am
by JSinMO
Harry wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:56 am JSinMo, thanks for taking us along on your rebuild troubleshooting journey. I know myself when I’m in the middle of a project, hands dirty and greasy the last thing I want to do and sometimes even think to do is clean my hands and grab the phone to take some pics. Then document the project with narrative and post pics. I thank you for diligence and perseverance. :highfive: :peace: Harry
I appreciate that Harry. I really didn’t keep track of what I work on till the last few years. I kind of enjoy showing what I’m doing. Almost like a hobby inside of a hobby I guess. I realize i usually stray pretty far afield from the original intent of this site but a lot of what I do can be applied to our GTs. As long as you guys enjoy see what I’m working on I’ll try to show stuff, of course if you get sick of my nonsense just let me know!

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:41 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:21 am
Harry wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:56 am JSinMo, thanks for taking us along on your rebuild troubleshooting journey. I know myself when I’m in the middle of a project, hands dirty and greasy the last thing I want to do and sometimes even think to do is clean my hands and grab the phone to take some pics. Then document the project with narrative and post pics. I thank you for diligence and perseverance. :highfive: :peace: Harry
I appreciate that Harry. I really didn’t keep track of what I work on till the last few years. I kind of enjoy showing what I’m doing. Almost like a hobby inside of a hobby I guess. I realize i usually stray pretty far afield from the original intent of this site but a lot of what I do can be applied to our GTs. As long as you guys enjoy see what I’m working on I’ll try to show stuff, of course if you get sick of my nonsense just let me know!
@JSinMO Skills shared and learned are almost always transferable to GTs in some form or anouther . Even if it is just how to justify it to the :wife: .

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:35 am
by Eugen
Please don't stop Jeff! I think that it would not be true to say we only like Case garden tractors. Case garden tractors brought us here, the quality of people, the sharing of experience and know how, and stories around the shop is what makes us stay. Thank you for sharing. :cheers:

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:59 pm
by keith
Don't stop, someone is learning from your work. I'm finding this interesting. Now I'm feeling a little guilty for not sharing my stories and pictures on my project but I will when it warms up and I get back to working on the 446. :cheers:

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:03 pm
by Eugen
keith wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:59 pm Don't stop, someone is learning from your work. I'm finding this interesting. Now I'm feeling a little guilty for not sharing my stories and pictures on my project but I will when it warms up and I get back to working on the 446. :cheers:
Please do. I too got more work to do on my Case tractors and attachments and will post when I do.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:32 pm
by JSinMO
Thank you fellas, sometimes it’s nice to know you haven’t wandered too far off the reservation! :thumbsup: It is satisfying to me to be able to contribute what I can.

@keith You have nothing to feel guilty about. I enjoy seeing what all you guys are working on, but sometimes it’s just not convenient, or you just don’t have the time to post. Right now I’m able to do it but sometimes I might not have the chance. Just the way it is.

Since I’m ignorant on the subject I did some reading last night on the single wire, self exciting alternator. Apparently after they sit for awhile you have to give them a kick in the butt to get them working again!

So I tried to give the noisy bearing a little lube. I don’t know if you guys are familiar with it but I’ve used Ballistol lube for years and I really like it.
IMG_4570.jpeg
The directions say to start the engine then make a momentary connection from the battery lead to post one under this plug. Sounds simple enough!
IMG_4571.jpeg
Well it did start charging!
IMG_4573.jpeg
But it didn’t last long. I started getting all sort of crazy reading from it so I guess I confirmed it’s shot.

So I decided to unhook it and give the tractor a test run on the battery alone. Naturally I bumped the wire to ground when I took it off, glad I wired a fuse into the system!
IMG_4572.jpeg
Well it drove like crap! :109: No power, sputtering it finally died and wouldn’t restart. :headbash: :cuss:

I swear I’m just about to shove this thing down the hill and push it into the Mississippi River! I confirmed it’s back to an inconsistent spark. I don’t think I’ve ever had this much trouble getting a running machine to run right.

The only part of the ignition I didn’t take apart is the distributor and you can’t really do anything with it on the tractor, so I pulled it!
IMG_4574.jpeg
IMG_4575.jpeg
Didn’t really see anything profound so I went over the connections and gently cleaned the magnetic ring and pickup.
Put it all back together and started the tractor. Now it’s running perfectly! Good power and it starts easy. So now with the exception of the alternator, maybe, possibly, I hope I’ve got this figured out! :please:

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm
by RoamingGnome
Congratulations on being able to keep patient and work your way through things... :thumbsup:
Nothing worse than intermittent problems - especially electrical ones, just something about that magic smoke hiding in the wires waiting to escape... :headbash:

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:04 pm
by keith
I've had similar non working parts that just needed a quick cleaning to come alive again. Congrats on your persistence to a good ending. :cheers:

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:52 pm
by JSinMO
Well today’s adventure is a bit of a hodgepodge. I walked into the shop the other day and was welcomed by the sound of a hissing air compressor!
IMG_4580.jpeg
First order of business is to replace this regulator, it appears the diaphragm gave up. That’s the second one I’ve put on. I guess that’s what I get for buying cheap junk. :45: Not being one to learn a lesson I put another cheap one on! :rofl: we’ll see how long this one lasts.

With that done, let’s see if we can finish up the old Ford.
I ordered a one wire alternator from O’Reillys and put it on.
Dang, it’s the shiniest thing on the tractor!
IMG_4582.jpeg
I slapped the belt on and tightened everything up and gave it a try. It started right up! :congrats: No cranking and cranking. I don’t know how accurate the cheap volt gauge is, but we are charging!
IMG_4590.jpeg
I went for a test drive and made a couple of passes grading the driveway with the blade.
IMG_4589.jpeg
The tractor ran great! I shut it off and restarted a couple of time and it kicks right off now! So what’s the final assessment? I think it needed everything I did to it. Cleaning up the starter really seems to have helped it crank faster. And cleaning up the distributor, and pulling back the advance a bit seemed to really help too. I’m going to mark this one down in the win column. We’ll see how it does as time goes on.

Time to move on to something else. I’ve got one more mower to look at, let’s go get it with the 446.
IMG_4591.jpeg
With the ground a little more firmed up and chains on the tractor it yanks things around much better. No spinning tires now!

This jewel is a David Bradley model 917 sickle mower.
David Bradley was owned and sold by Sears & Roebuck way back when. Hopefully you can make out the info on the serial tag.
IMG_4592.jpeg
Unfortunately I can’t seem to find any information on this. Searching the internet brings up a lot of walk behind garden tractors and their implements but nothing on this. I’m guessing it was made somewhere between the late 1940s and mid 1950s. I’m thinking there probably aren’t that many left in the world.
IMG_4593.jpeg
IMG_4594.jpeg
It appears to be a simple but strong design. Belt driven off the PTO, but with an internal clutch instead of a pitman stick like my John Deere models.

Checking the settings on it is pretty much a rinse and repeat like the other I’ve done so I won’t go through that here.

I’m really debating what to do with this one. I know it functions and will cut hay, but with no information, and certainly no parts availability other than common things it’s really on my mind that it should go to a David Bradley collector.
On the one hand I’m a firm believer of more is better, but on the other hand how many sickle mowers does a guy need? :rofl:

This may be one of those rare instances that I actually let something go! :43:

I’m open to your thoughts on it, or if you know someone that is into David Bradley sent them my way! If nothing else it would be really nice to get some info on it.

That’s about the end of another productive day in the shop, thanks for coming along!

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:00 pm
by Eugen
Jeff, I'm glad about the season finale on the Ford! I was worried if it kept that attitude up you'd get the shotgun out. 😁

About the sickle mower, isn't it nice to have options? I am personally much like you, if it was cheap to get, it's hard for me not to have doubles and triples of tools and everything else. The line I draw is at the :wife:. Happiest to have one!

But if you perhaps were in dear need of a tool or some other attachment for your other tractors, maybe the funds from selling the mower would be welcome. Either way you go, it cannot be wrong. Thanks again for taking us along! :cheers:

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:32 am
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:00 pm Jeff, I'm glad about the season finale on the Ford! I was worried if it kept that attitude up you'd get the shotgun out. 😁
I think I was close to doing just that for awhile there! :rofl:

I’m definitely thinking along the same lines as you. There are some other things I would like to do and selling would help fund that. I might wait till spring to make a decision. If I sell it some video of it working would probably help.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:52 pm
by JSinMO
You guys might remember a few weeks ago we were supposed to get some snow so after work I thought I’d get the tractors ready. That’s what started the 2N project. Well here we go again!
We’re supposed to get snow tomorrow, probably not even enough to worry about, but I figured better safe than sorry.
I went up tonight to get that sickle mower off the 446 and stage the tractors.
IMG_4598.jpeg
The Ford started right up and ran good. :69:
The 446 is about as reliable as they come and it started right up too. But then it died. If you remember it did this once before but then was fine, so I chalked it up to a one off I don’t know what happened. :106:
Not this time. It wouldn’t restart just crank. :109:
So I looked it over and found I had no spark. I must’ve really pissed off the electric gods somehow, first the 2N now the 446! :45:
I pulled the plugs and watched while I cranked. I could get spark then nothing. ( on a side not I see these are Autolight 216 plugs the same as just put in the 2N, I’ll have to file that away for later use)!
IMG_4599.jpeg
I started thinking about maybe I had problems with the points, or maybe the coil is going bad. I checked connections and then it started! As soon as I closed the hood it died, what in this world? :hm:
Take a look at this picture.
IMG_4600.jpeg
Can you see that red wire running across the coil? It goes to the headlights and it was shorting out the ignition! :43: I could wiggle it and get the tractor started, then wiggle it again and it would die. You guys just had a conversation about how that wire should be routed. Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend?
For now I unplugged the lights and coiled up the wire and now it’s running fine, disaster averted! :rofl:

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:51 pm
by Eugen
As I was reading your post I started thinking about either a bad connection somewhere or a bad wire. Glad you found it and the fix is easy!! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:45 am
by Toolslinger
First thought was it was the same intermitant spark I was seeing with a sketchy coil... Glad it was simple. There is simply nothing worse than intermittant electrical.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:58 am
by DavidBarkey
Can you see that red wire running across the coil? It goes to the headlights and it was shorting out the ignition! :43: I could wiggle it and get the tractor started, then wiggle it again and it would die. You guys just had a conversation about how that wire should be routed. Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend?
For now I unplugged the lights and coiled up the wire and now it’s running fine, disaster averted! :rofl:
/quote]

Points to ponder . How was the red wire shorting the coil down ? Primary or secondary side . A good coil and wires should not be affected by the wire being against it . Cracked coil tower or bad wire/ boots ? Is there a bare spot on the red wire shorting to the primary posts ?

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:09 pm
by JSinMO
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:58 am
/quote]

Points to ponder . How was the red wire shorting the coil down ? Primary or secondary side . A good coil and wires should not be affected by the wire being against it . Cracked coil tower or bad wire/ boots ? Is there a bare spot on the red wire shorting to the primary posts ?
Good points Dave. The short answer is, I don’t know yet.
Once I realized what was happening I unhooked the wire and coiled it up out of the way and put the weight box back on and stopped for the day. The insulation on all the wires around the coil are pretty heat baked, including the spark plug wires. Hopefully I’ll be able to look at it tomorrow.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:13 pm
by JSinMO
I decided to have a look at the wiring on the 446 to see what I find. I don’t see any cracks in the coil and the wires actually look pretty good. The only thing I found is a mark on the red wire to the lights where it was rubbed thin and that spot was laying up against the positive post on the coil. Not sure if you can see it in this picture.
IMG_4610.jpeg
Everything else look ok to me so I decided to reroute the wire along the frame rail. Not very pretty but should work just fine. Hooked it back up and now we’re working fine again.
IMG_4612.jpeg
IMG_4613.jpeg
Guess what I found the other day?
IMG_4611.jpeg
Another full set of chains that were destined to be thrown away. Let’s splice in what I need to make a full set for the tractor. I laid them on the tire and it looks like I just need to add two sections.
IMG_4614.jpeg
I followed @propane1 advice and split the appropriate link and added in what I needed. It’s probably not necessary but I went ahead and welded the links shut again.
IMG_4615.jpeg
IMG_4616.jpeg
I did as @DavidBarkey suggested and let the air out of the tires then fitted the chains on and aired them up.
And just like that I have full chains for the tractor now! I think I mentioned before that I probably haven’t put chains on anything in 30 years so I appreciate the help fellas, thank you! :thumbsup:
IMG_4617.jpeg

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:25 pm
by propane1
That’s great Jeff glad it worked for you. Out of all the links I split and bent back together on my chains and all the digging and chewin I’ve done withe the chains on, only one bent apart but didnt fall apart. But best to tac them thou.
I had an awful lot to tach. So I was lazy and didn’t do it. :giggle:

Noel.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:39 pm
by DavidBarkey
@JSinMO Glad we were able to help out . One thing on the ignition . Final test , start engine and spray some water on coil and wire boots . If it does not stumble you are golden . If it does try different wires and try again ., Hopefully it is all good now .

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:56 pm
by Eugen
And just like that the beast looks even more like a beast with those chains on! Yeah, nice! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:55 pm
by Harry
I did some cleanup in the shop the other day. Then since I purchased the HF toolbox I had never put any tools in it. So I started to go through my over stuffed drawers of my old tool chest and put tools into the new tool chest. I also came across some old wrenches that I purchased from a garage sale. Cleaned them up and painted them then put them in a drawer in the new cabinet. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:55 pm
by JSinMO
Harry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:55 pm I did some cleanup in the shop the other day. Then since I purchased the HF toolbox I had never put any tools in it. So I started to go through my over stuffed drawers of my old tool chest and put tools into the new tool chest. I also came across some old wrenches that I purchased from a garage sale. Cleaned them up and painted them then put them in a drawer in the new cabinet. :peace: Harry
I really try to keep my work area half way cleaned up but I have to be careful moving stuff around, I know where most stuff lives but if I gave something a new home I’d really have to work at remembering where i put it! My tool boxes are stuffed but if I got a new box I’d be opening drawers for months looking for tools!

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:36 am
by Harry
JSinMO wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:55 pm
Harry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:55 pm I did some cleanup in the shop the other day. Then since I purchased the HF toolbox I had never put any tools in it. So I started to go through my over stuffed drawers of my old tool chest and put tools into the new tool chest. I also came across some old wrenches that I purchased from a garage sale. Cleaned them up and painted them then put them in a drawer in the new cabinet. :peace: Harry
I really try to keep my work area half way cleaned up but I have to be careful moving stuff around, I know where most stuff lives but if I gave something a new home I’d really have to work at remembering where i put it! My tool boxes are stuffed but if I got a new box I’d be opening drawers for months looking for tools!
Yes I know exactly what you’re talking about. I can either label the drawers or relearn where I put wrenches. The new add on cabinet is mostly all wrenches. Open end box end metric and standard. The old cabinet is socket sets, screwdrivers, pliers in the top cabinet. Bottom chest is larger pipe wrenches, adjustable wrenches, large adjustable pliers with misc in the bottom. I’ll probably relearn because I already have a system of resorting in place. The extra cabinet was mostly to relieve the congestion of over filled drawers. ;) :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:03 am
by RoamingGnome
It is so nice to have a tidy workspace :clap: - I've always kept drawers organized in the same way because when I was at home a wrench should be in the same place as when I was at work otherwise :pullhair: Over the years I ended up pretty much duplicating my sets of common tools because I hated bringing wrenches home to do a job and then having to haul them back to work in the morning. Wow! What a mess when I "retired" and both sets of tools suddenly had to live in one basement workshop :headbash: Hard to believe It's been almost 2 years now and my "work" toolbox is still in a storage container at my previous employers yard because It wouldn't fit through my walkout basement door. (This summer it's going up to the property)

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:31 pm
by Eugen
Well, this is inspiring. I am a recovering very messy. Meaning, it's been really hard for me to maintain tidiness. Trying to be improve. :spin:

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:32 am
by DavidBarkey
Everytime I go looking for a tool these day it is just like Christmas . I find tools I forgot I had . Like Gerry , two sets of tools , and home care tools and all of that in the shop . Some have not been used in ten years .

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:43 pm
by DavidBarkey
today episode of :creeper: in the shop . sorry none Case. Ford lgt 125 with Johnson 10 tc loader kit (factory)
issues - sloppy steering , leaking spool valve , rear fender pan mounts failed (double studded rubber), oil and filters , hydrastic cooling fan missing most of its blades .

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:22 pm
by JSinMO
@DavidBarkey I don’t have any experience with Ford GT’s but the loader looks to be well built. Hopefully the list of repairs are all easy!

I know a few of you guys have really nice lifts. The older I get and the more my knees hurt from kneeling on concrete the more jealous I get!

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:20 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:22 pm @DavidBarkey I don’t have any experience with Ford GT’s but the loader looks to be well built. Hopefully the list of repairs are all easy!

I know a few of you guys have really nice lifts. The older I get and the more my knees hurt from kneeling on concrete the more jealous I get!
It is a 70s unit built by Jacobsen for Ford . Round tube frame GT. Stout hydro rear axle . The loader was manufactured to bolt on and sold as a "Factory option " The lift is no longer a luxury but a necessity to keep working along with heated shop in the winter . The cost of a used lift is more economical than not being able to work anymore . I highly recommend guys look into it . I can only lift 48" due to ceiling height , but that is more than enough for most my needs .

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:40 pm
by DavidBarkey
20240323_101008.jpg
50 year old plastic fan is a little worse for ware
50 year old plastic fan is a little worse for ware
old body mounts separated . had to weld nuts on to get the body side out for the new ones .
old body mounts separated . had to weld nuts on to get the body side out for the new ones .
Replacement fan is obsolete . this replacement was $20. it is for a range hood . right size and direction of rotation just need to bore hole in centre
Replacement fan is obsolete . this replacement was $20. it is for a range hood . right size and direction of rotation just need to bore hole in centre
quick job on the lathe
quick job on the lathe
just like new .
just like new .

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:22 pm
by Harry
You the man David. 👍✌️Harry

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:35 pm
by JSinMO
Now it’s good for another 40 years! :thumbsup: