Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by Eugen »

Soooo much room Jeff! Awesome!

As for :wife: , mine perhaps is at the opposite spectrum. She is somewhat shocked when I say I think I can't do something. I don't know what kind of superman she thinks I am, but I feel the pressure. :)) Sometimes I think out loud and say something like "I don't know how to do xyz" and she looks at me like I fell from Mars. Then she gives me "a solution." The other day I said I'm not sure how to lock the big loader up safely so I can start working on it. She says "lift it up and tie it to the back, you got all those chains sitting there." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rolleye: not a bad idea, if only I lived in a cartoon world. But then I thought, maybe it's not such a crazy idea, so what if I tie the loader to the backhoe? Yeah... no. :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Soooo much room Jeff! Awesome!

As for :wife: , mine perhaps is at the opposite spectrum. She is somewhat shocked when I say I think I can't do something. I don't know what kind of superman she thinks I am, but I feel the pressure. :)) Sometimes I think out loud and say something like "I don't know how to do xyz" and she looks at me like I fell from Mars. Then she gives me "a solution." The other day I said I'm not sure how to lock the big loader up safely so I can start working on it. She says "lift it up and tie it to the back, you got all those chains sitting there." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rolleye: not a bad idea, if only I lived in a cartoon world. But then I thought, maybe it's not such a crazy idea, so what if I tie the loader to the backhoe? Yeah... no. :109:

Thanks. You know how it is, you never have enough room but I feel really lucky to have the shop space! I’m hoping you can “get under roof” before too long!

I shouldn’t complain, I really do have a good wife. Sometimes thought :pullhair: ! :rofl:
Your wife did have a plausible idea. I’ve certainly chained up hydraulics many time to drag a non running piece of equipment around, I just wouldn’t trust it enough to get under it with just a chain holding it up! At least she tried! :thumbsup:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I have found sometimes my :wife: has good ideas, but I have also found it’s hard to work with her. My Dad always told me I am a person who likes to do things by my self. Sometimes for me figuring out how to do a project by myself is half the challenge and half the pleasure upon completion. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by JSinMO »

Today’s shenanigans were on our Kawasaki Mule. The new battery I just put in it is dead. I put a meter on it last week and it’s not charging. Like most of the machines we have around the place this one did not run when we got it. It had an electrical fire so when I got it home I fixed all the wiring and it’s been a great machine for at least 5 years now.
Since the shop has Herbie the truck in it I worked on this in the garage. The 446 is my tool caddy for the day, it is handy to have around!
A222E91E-E15D-459D-A7AD-9FE2ADADBA31.jpeg
I hooked up the battery charger and I started with the easiest thing first.

Fuses test ok.

Connection for the wires from the stator test ok.

Connection at the voltage regulator tests ok.

Switch tests ok.

4A4B79E7-F0E2-43A0-99F4-59C92628008A.jpeg
What the heck? :hm: I’m not seeing an issue. So with the battery now charged I thought I’d start it and check voltage from the stator. Now I have no power to anything! :109:
So back to rechecking the wires again and what do you know I found a bad connection just past one of the fuses!
B813845B-60F9-4B95-B92F-1352D96C4236.jpeg
Fixed the connection, put everything back together, started it up and now it’s charging like it should! :thumbsup:
3B7CD305-6A93-48F2-9C92-7A53041757C4.jpeg
I get the sinking feeling I’m not done with this but I guess we’ll see. I’m not convinced that bad connection was the issue, or that it was just a poor connection that I cleaned up at the stator or voltage regulator :109: :106:

So ends another “Fun” day in the shop!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Sometimes,Jeff, you gotta go with blind faith and feel good about finding one issue and fixing it. Sounds like you had some fun in the shop!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by JSinMO »

I haven’t put a lot of thought into this, but how come why is it this stupid tire looses air in the winter? I changed the shader valve made no difference. It won’t loose a pound in the warm months but every winter it slowly looses air. :106:
I haven’t soap tested it in a while, maybe the valve I put in is old and dry that wouldn’t be too surprising.
ADA1BF08-E92A-4F96-A368-2278E0277527.jpeg
It’s not very high on the priority list right now just kind of confounding. I came into the shop this morning and here it is low again
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Dude you must put winter air in there . Summer air just shrivels up in the cold temps . You know cold weather shrinkage.
:O
:rofl:
Honestly , it is most likely a rim leak due to the old rubber being hard . When it gets cold out the rim will shrink more than the rubber and with the rubber being hard from age and cold the seal at the rim is compromised . When it warms up out , take it off break the bead and lube with silicone grease . Air up with all season air and you will be all set .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That's gotta be annoying @JSinMO ! This was happening on the front wheel of my 444 and I got really tired of it. :headbash: Hope you figure it out soon enough! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by JSinMO »

I should have mentioned it has a tube in it. That’s why I’m thinking it’s still the valve.

@DavidBarkey You may be right about that summer air shrinking. I have to do something about this, I can’t afford any more shrinkage! :43: :rofl:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

You guys have me laughing here out loud!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E