Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by JSinMO »

Holy cow fellas, i had quite a busy time in the shop this weekend, a one step forward two steps back situation. :45:
Got the oil change in the mower and cut grass for the first time this year. Seems a little early but it needed it. I pulled back to the shop to find a flat tire on the side by side. I see it’s a cut not a hole I can plug so I figured I’d break down the tire and put a tube in. I beat on it, put the backhoe on it, tried using jacks, etc. :smash: I can’t get the bead to break loose! :headbash: :cuss: :30: I finally gave up. Thoroughly defeated and aggravated I put it in the trunk of the car. Hopefully I can get it broke down by a shop tomorrow.
IMG_4807.jpeg
I went over the brush hog I put the blades on last fall. All greased up and gear box oil topped off! Won’t be long now and it will be getting some use!
IMG_4808.jpeg
The 2N has been running great then today it started missing and sputtering and finally died. I could get it to start but is ran terribly. What in the world happened? I looked it over and found the problem. :cuss:
IMG_4811.jpeg
The coil is almost cracked in two! Luckily I have a good friend up the road aways that has several N series Fords and he let me borrow a coil until I can get a new one.

It’s kind of funny, even on the days that I’m really busy and things don’t really go smoothly, I’m still completely content messing around in the shop!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

The low pressure tubeless wheels like what is on an Atv or Utv have a larger bead lock ridge than most wheels making them a pain to brake down unless you have a machine . So don't feel bad about struggling with them . I have a small tire machine for the lawn mower tire but take all the other stuff to the tire shop up the road . It is just not worth the struggle .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Are those Fords called "N" series for "N"ot today , I am having a breakdown . :35: :hm:
:rofl:
I never worked with one but I hear they are very reliable little tractors . Wonder what caused the coil to split like that .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

We use to drive over the edge of car tires to break the bead when I was a younger man and then wrestle the tire. I used my HF 20 ton press to break the bead on GT tires but now bought a HF small tire machine. Some still need a bit if wrangling to remove. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

We use to drive over the edge of car tires to break the bead when I was a younger man and then wrestle the tire. I used my HF 20 ton press to break the bead on GT tires but now bought a HF small tire machine. Some still need a bit if wrangling to remove. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:43 am Are those Fords called "N" series for "N"ot today , I am having a breakdown . :35: :hm:
:rofl:
I never worked with one but I hear they are very reliable little tractors . Wonder what caused the coil to split like that .
That was certainly what it said yesterday! :))
I have no idea why it split, I’ve heard they can get moisture inside and do that but I don’t know if that’s what happened here. I can tell you for sure it won’t run right like that! :rofl:

Post by JSinMO »

This episode of messing around in the shop is from a couple of days ago. The Farmall Cub has been on my mind and I decided it was time to wake it up!
I hooked a chain to it and towed it out of hibernation with the 446.
IMG_4839.jpeg
The poor old cub has been sitting for at least 2 years and probably closer to 3. I check the oil and looked in the gas tank. It smelled like bad rotten gas. :barf: But I wondered if it would pop off so I cleaned the battery terminals and hooked up a jump pack. Four revolutions of the engine and it was running!
IMG_4842.jpeg
It had no oil pressure so I shut it down fast. I guess it sat long enough for the oil pump to go dry. If you ever mess with one of these, they are easy to prime. Just take the oil filter element out of the housing and find the hole at the back of the housing.
IMG_4843.jpeg
Fill that hole with oil and it’s primed. I started it back up and the pressure built quickly.
IMG_4844.jpeg
I want to give it a little work so I attached the plow.
And gave it a bath. I think it cleaned up pretty good!
IMG_4854.jpeg
IMG_4855.jpeg
IMG_4856.jpeg
This was the first tractor I bought for myself and fixed up, quite a long time ago now. I guess this one started the addiction! Getting back in the seat felt like getting in touch with an old friend, very pleasant and comfortable.

While I was moving some things around the back of the shop I found an old set of fenders for a Farmall H or M that I had forgotten about and decided to see how they looked on the Super H. Back in the day fenders were an option. It’s hard to find a tractor with them around here, but I see a lot of them with fenders up north.
IMG_4840.jpeg
IMG_4841.jpeg
I think they look good on the tractor but they are too close to the platform for my liking. I think they would be better moved over closer to the tires.

Hopefully it won’t be long and I’ll be back in the shop to give the Cub a workout, and make some spacers for the fenders!