Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by DavidBarkey »

Can you see that red wire running across the coil? It goes to the headlights and it was shorting out the ignition! :43: I could wiggle it and get the tractor started, then wiggle it again and it would die. You guys just had a conversation about how that wire should be routed. Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend?
For now I unplugged the lights and coiled up the wire and now it’s running fine, disaster averted! :rofl:
/quote]

Points to ponder . How was the red wire shorting the coil down ? Primary or secondary side . A good coil and wires should not be affected by the wire being against it . Cracked coil tower or bad wire/ boots ? Is there a bare spot on the red wire shorting to the primary posts ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:58 am
Can you see that red wire running across the coil? It goes to the headlights and it was shorting out the ignition! :43: I could wiggle it and get the tractor started, then wiggle it again and it would die. You guys just had a conversation about how that wire should be routed. Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend?
For now I unplugged the lights and coiled up the wire and now it’s running fine, disaster averted! :rofl:
/quote]

Points to ponder . How was the red wire shorting the coil down ? Primary or secondary side . A good coil and wires should not be affected by the wire being against it . Cracked coil tower or bad wire/ boots ? Is there a bare spot on the red wire shorting to the primary posts ?
Good points Dave. The short answer is, I don’t know yet.
Once I realized what was happening I unhooked the wire and coiled it up out of the way and put the weight box back on and stopped for the day. The insulation on all the wires around the coil are pretty heat baked, including the spark plug wires. Hopefully I’ll be able to look at it tomorrow.

Post by JSinMO »

I decided to have a look at the wiring on the 446 to see what I find. I don’t see any cracks in the coil and the wires actually look pretty good. The only thing I found is a mark on the red wire to the lights where it was rubbed thin and that spot was laying up against the positive post on the coil. Not sure if you can see it in this picture.
IMG_4610.jpeg
Everything else look ok to me so I decided to reroute the wire along the frame rail. Not very pretty but should work just fine. Hooked it back up and now we’re working fine again.
IMG_4612.jpeg
IMG_4613.jpeg
Guess what I found the other day?
IMG_4611.jpeg
Another full set of chains that were destined to be thrown away. Let’s splice in what I need to make a full set for the tractor. I laid them on the tire and it looks like I just need to add two sections.
IMG_4614.jpeg
I followed @propane1 advice and split the appropriate link and added in what I needed. It’s probably not necessary but I went ahead and welded the links shut again.
IMG_4615.jpeg
IMG_4616.jpeg
I did as @DavidBarkey suggested and let the air out of the tires then fitted the chains on and aired them up.
And just like that I have full chains for the tractor now! I think I mentioned before that I probably haven’t put chains on anything in 30 years so I appreciate the help fellas, thank you! :thumbsup:
IMG_4617.jpeg
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

That’s great Jeff glad it worked for you. Out of all the links I split and bent back together on my chains and all the digging and chewin I’ve done withe the chains on, only one bent apart but didnt fall apart. But best to tac them thou.
I had an awful lot to tach. So I was lazy and didn’t do it. :giggle:

Noel.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Glad we were able to help out . One thing on the ignition . Final test , start engine and spray some water on coil and wire boots . If it does not stumble you are golden . If it does try different wires and try again ., Hopefully it is all good now .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

And just like that the beast looks even more like a beast with those chains on! Yeah, nice! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I did some cleanup in the shop the other day. Then since I purchased the HF toolbox I had never put any tools in it. So I started to go through my over stuffed drawers of my old tool chest and put tools into the new tool chest. I also came across some old wrenches that I purchased from a garage sale. Cleaned them up and painted them then put them in a drawer in the new cabinet. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Weld bench cleaned
Weld bench cleaned
Garage sale wrenches painted
Garage sale wrenches painted
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by JSinMO »

Harry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:55 pm I did some cleanup in the shop the other day. Then since I purchased the HF toolbox I had never put any tools in it. So I started to go through my over stuffed drawers of my old tool chest and put tools into the new tool chest. I also came across some old wrenches that I purchased from a garage sale. Cleaned them up and painted them then put them in a drawer in the new cabinet. :peace: Harry
I really try to keep my work area half way cleaned up but I have to be careful moving stuff around, I know where most stuff lives but if I gave something a new home I’d really have to work at remembering where i put it! My tool boxes are stuffed but if I got a new box I’d be opening drawers for months looking for tools!
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:55 pm
Harry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:55 pm I did some cleanup in the shop the other day. Then since I purchased the HF toolbox I had never put any tools in it. So I started to go through my over stuffed drawers of my old tool chest and put tools into the new tool chest. I also came across some old wrenches that I purchased from a garage sale. Cleaned them up and painted them then put them in a drawer in the new cabinet. :peace: Harry
I really try to keep my work area half way cleaned up but I have to be careful moving stuff around, I know where most stuff lives but if I gave something a new home I’d really have to work at remembering where i put it! My tool boxes are stuffed but if I got a new box I’d be opening drawers for months looking for tools!
Yes I know exactly what you’re talking about. I can either label the drawers or relearn where I put wrenches. The new add on cabinet is mostly all wrenches. Open end box end metric and standard. The old cabinet is socket sets, screwdrivers, pliers in the top cabinet. Bottom chest is larger pipe wrenches, adjustable wrenches, large adjustable pliers with misc in the bottom. I’ll probably relearn because I already have a system of resorting in place. The extra cabinet was mostly to relieve the congestion of over filled drawers. ;) :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

It is so nice to have a tidy workspace :clap: - I've always kept drawers organized in the same way because when I was at home a wrench should be in the same place as when I was at work otherwise :pullhair: Over the years I ended up pretty much duplicating my sets of common tools because I hated bringing wrenches home to do a job and then having to haul them back to work in the morning. Wow! What a mess when I "retired" and both sets of tools suddenly had to live in one basement workshop :headbash: Hard to believe It's been almost 2 years now and my "work" toolbox is still in a storage container at my previous employers yard because It wouldn't fit through my walkout basement door. (This summer it's going up to the property)
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)