Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by Eugen »

Great work overall Jeff! This reminds me of my own battles with the big backhoe cylinders. Did you have any trouble with the piston nut?
Case 444, 644
Kubota B26
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:56 pm Great work overall Jeff! This reminds me of my own battles with the big backhoe cylinders. Did you have any trouble with the piston nut?
No, not on this one. I went right to my 3/4” breaker bar and cheater pipe! Luckily it came apart easily.

Post by JSinMO »

Well it’s a really nice day here today. Let’s get some things done!

I debated about showing this, but it’s stuff we do around here and it’s in the shop. I will add this disclaimer:

THIS IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. AS A RULE FIREARMS SHOULD BE TAKEN TO A PROFESSIONAL SMITH FOR REPAIR.

I decided I should sight in the .22 I was going to use the other day. I’ll be darned if it wouldn’t fire. It’s leaving a very light primer strike, not enough to set the round off.
Now you need to know this rifle was assembled from spare parts at least 20 years ago. Some of those parts were probably another 20 years old. I used this for years plinking along the river. So to say it’s fired thousands of rounds is no understatement.
I disassemble it and took the bolt out.
IMG_5127.jpeg
The firing pin is held in place with a steel roll pin that I drove out with a punch.
IMG_5128.jpeg
And here is the firing pin, I suspected it was either worn or chipped but it’s actually bent! Don’t know that I’ve seen one do that before. Not sure if you can see it in the picture.
IMG_5129.jpeg
IMG_5130.jpeg
Well that will have to be replaced, not a big deal but not a top priority right now, it might make a nice winter project.

Let’s move on to more pressing issues.
Unfortunately we had some broken hay bales and some on the bottom of the stack that drew moisture. One of the ladies that buys from us said she would be happy to come get whatever we can rebail. I’m not happy with some of what’s left. I’d rather pitch it than try and sell something I don’t think if feed quality.
So I dug through what was left and gathered up what was good and put it on the wagon.
IMG_5132.jpeg
IMG_5133.jpeg
I strapped it down and tied a tarp over it, we’ll tuck over here by the tree line until I can lay it out in rows and bail it again.
IMG_5134.jpeg
I haven’t come across a different rake yet, so I may have to rig up the one I decommissioned for one last trip across the field! :109: :42: :D

With that done I hopped on the 446 and pushed the bad bales into a pile. The 446 shoved them together nicely.
IMG_5135.jpeg
IMG_5136.jpeg
It looks worse that it really is. We really didn’t lose that many. I’ll have to wait till I get big brother the 830 Case back up and running to scoop up what’s left and get rid of it.
Hopefully I’ll be working on it later this week.

They picked up the hay that was left on Herbie the truck today so he got cleaned up to end the day.
IMG_5137.jpeg
That’s enough for today, thanks for stopping by the shop! :thumbsup:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Tuck the discarded hay someplace out of the way and let it rot down to compost. I've never run across a garden that wouldn't benefit from more compost worked in to it...

Post by JSinMO »

Well I got the seals so we might as well rebuild the cylinder for the 830.
IMG_5163.jpeg
I’m not sure if this will be helpful to anyone, but I thought I would show what I did. I’m still squarely in the learning phase so feel free to point out things I should do differently.

I started by cleaning things up as good as possible then I put the seal on the inside of the cap.
IMG_5164.jpeg
IMG_5165.jpeg
IMG_5166.jpeg
IMG_5167.jpeg

After that I tapped the new wiper into place.
And then moved on to replacing the outer seal and backup ring. I used petroleum jelly to lubricant things.
IMG_5168.jpeg
IMG_5169.jpeg
IMG_5170.jpeg
IMG_5172.jpeg
With all the parts in place I tapped the cap back onto the rod and moved onto the piston. This one is really going to need to stretch to get it into place and it is stiff.
IMG_5173.jpeg
I tried with out success to just put it into place and then decide to use gradually larger sockets to stretch the seal to the right size.
IMG_5176.jpeg
I didn’t really feel comfortable doing like that and I’m sure there’s a better way but it did work.
IMG_5177.jpeg
Then it was time for a new washer with seal for the bolt that holds the piston on.
IMG_5175.jpeg
I slipped the rod back into the cylinder and put the cap into place. This style of cylinder is held in place by a wire that you wind into place by starting it in the hole and then turning the cap.
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg

Post by JSinMO »

Thankful I have a big wrench to fit the cap. Not sure were I got this thing but it has come in quite handy a few times. Here it is next to a 12 inch wrench.
IMG_5180.jpeg
And there you have it, one rebuilt cylinder. Now of course I’ll second guess myself and worry I messed something up!

All that’s left to do next is mount it back on the tractor and see if it works!
IMG_5181.jpeg
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Jeff, thanks for the photos. I all my years of machine repair, seeing the tool you have for internal seal instalation is a first.
image.png
This is a tool I have never imagined.
image.png
But it looks like it might make installing internal seals easier.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH

Post by JSinMO »

@Spike188 I saw Ryan @CaseIngersollNE use them in one of his videos. They work really well.
Here is the link to them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W1 ... s_li_ss_tl
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Spike188 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:37 pm Jeff, thanks for the photos. I all my years of machine repair, seeing the tool you have for internal seal instalation is a first. image.png
This is a tool I have never imagined.
image.png
But it looks like it might make installing internal seals easier.
It looks like a variation of a Bobcat tool for internal seals - a quick Google found them available on Amazon.ca @Spike188 you might have to get yourself a set 🙂
Screenshot_20240704-231659.png
https://www.amazon.ca/VISVIC-Hydraulic- ... 788f59341c

PS, They do work really good for internal seals on small diameter cylinders :cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

That is a handy looking tool . I have always done it the old fashion way with a pair of needle nose and screwdriver . That looks way better . Going to look into a set .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder