Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by DavidBarkey »

@thebuildist I use the same ones for paint stripping when I can't or don't need to sand blast. They work great .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I was supposed to do yard work this evening but it’s quite hot and muggy, one of those days when you walk outside it feels like you put a winter parka on. Air you can wear! So it didn’t take much arm twisting for me to go to shop instead.
I put the new hoses on the M and checked them. No leaks
IMG_3979.jpeg

That was easy enough. The belt I ordered for sickle mower came it too so I thought I’d check the fit.
Fellas I have an aggravating problem. I have never in the past, or now, or probably in the future, ever been able to get the right belt the first time! :cuss: :headbash: :pullhair: :rofl:
It doesn’t matter it I use a belt measuring tool, tape measure, or take the old belt with me, I’ll manage to get the wrong size every time.
IMG_3978.jpeg
After years of this I have just started figuring it into the process! Not the end of the world, but you’d think I’d guess correctly once in awhile!

@thebuildist your right those abrasive wheels do work great. I have a collection of flapper wheels, wire and those with my grinders.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO maybe the belt is right but that pulley is not. :giggle:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

The problem with generic belts is that 6 belt from 6 different manufactures of the "same size" will have 6 different length widths and depths . Grade of belt changes things too.
example 1/2" x 23" OC (outside circumference) you can have anywhere from 22 and a 1/4" to 23 and 3/4" OC. 7/16" straight rubber belt to 9/16" cloth rapped belt all classified 1/2" belt .
This is why it is hard to find a perfect cross for an OEM belt sometime .
There is a lot of white lab coat stuff that goes into what is the right belt based on a number of factors of a "simple" vee belt.
Not least of which is weather or not it is a disengagement belt or allways engaged . That changes the pulley shape and the and the belt type . And then there is temp, load , shock , wet / dry , :bla: :bla: :bla:
This is what I know about belt , and I know very little .
So many of us share in your :violin: :violin: of belts.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

We’ve had a full day of rain that finally broke the heat wave so it was a good day to spend in the shop. I thought I’d try to make some progress on the mower since I now have a belt that will work.
IMG_4001.jpeg
I stared thinking of way to connect it to the 2N with out needing to get a very short PTO. Digging through the empire of dirt I dragged out a 3 point set up I saved for another project I have in mind for, but I thought if it would work here I’d try it.
IMG_4002.jpeg
I mocked it up on the mower frame, and it would work, but, it would be too cobbled even by my low standards! :43: :rofl:

I decided to play around with some of the original brackets from the mower and I think I have an acceptable way to hitch it to the 2 N now that will also allow me to move it to the M if needed. At least I’m hoping so! :106:
IMG_4003.jpeg
With that done I figured it’s time to attach the cutting bar.
That went really easy. But what didn’t go easy was getting everything adjusted. :headbash: This mower is much more worn and rusted that I had originally thought. :109: :cuss:
Out came the impact, big wrenches, even bigger sledge hammer, penetrating oil, and some heat. :dizzy: Afer an evening of soaking, twisting, beating, and removing cobbled stuff the previous owner added, I think I’m close to having it adjusted to a point it may actually work! :thumbsup:
IMG_4005.jpeg
But at this point that’s just a hopeful guess! :42: :D
At least it’s a lot farther along that it was this morning. Next I’ll need to make a new wooden pitman arm and get it installed, and then it should be about ready to try and see what breaks first! :giggle:
IMG_4004.jpeg
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That wasn't an easy task by the sound of it. What are the necessary adjustments? I got a sickle bar mower too but have not tried to use it or do anything with it.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:56 am That wasn't an easy task by the sound of it. What are the necessary adjustments? I got a sickle bar mower too but have not tried to use it or do anything with it.
The far side of the cutting bar should be a little bit forward of the tractor side.
The angle of the bar is another. I usually run them level or slightly up.
When you lift the mower say at the end of the row there is an adjustment so the far side of the bar comes off the ground. If it doesn’t lift it will jam with cut hay then your on and off the tractor clearing the bar.
And then the is the spring tension on the bar.

None of this is a major deal, and when you look at one of these mowers, they look fairly simple. And they really are. It’s just when everything it a ball of rust nothing wants to move easy.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me Jeff. Now it makes sense, as I don't have any experience with this. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by JSinMO »

Well today was a great day, till it wasn’t! :109:

I went up to the shop this morning to try and finish up the mower. I needed to cut a few pieces of steel to finish up my mounting brackets. Wouldn’t you know a piece of hot slag from the torch cut went down my shoe! Burned right through my shoe, sock, and right into my foot! :cuss: :30: of course this is why you should wear proper safety equipment and of course like a dummy I didn’t. :109: I did get it all mounted the way I wanted. I had to move the mower back from the tractor about 5 1/2 inches to give the PTO shaft an
acceptable angle. I used 3/8 plate to make the brackets.
IMG_4010.jpeg
It’s some crude barnyard engineering for sure but it works fine! :thumbsup:

With that done I went and mowed the yard with my zero turn. It ran great as always. I have a habit of filling it with fuel when I’m done mowing so its ready for next time. I put the gas in and now it won’t run, just sputters a bit with full choke then dies! :109: :cuss: I’m thinking the gas I put in had water in it. So I’ll check to make sure the fuel pump works then drain the tanks and put good gas in. Fingers crossed that’s all it is.

After that fiasco I went to back the 2N into the shop and all my of a sudden it’s running of 3 cylinders :headbash: :cuss:
Check into it and found number 3 spark plug wire is arcing to the frame of the tractor. Stuck my hand on it and it stung me good. :cuss: To be fair I never changed the plugs or wires when I got the tractor going so I suppose I should expect an issue here or there. I’ll have to dig around the old empire of dirt and see if I have a plug wire laying around to test with.

At this point I should have quit for the night but I just couldn’t help myself. I cut the wood pitman stick I need for the mower and put it in place. My questionable wood working skills usually don’t bother me much but I must say I did an exceptionally lousy job on this one! :30: :109: :rofl:
I will be shocked if it doesn’t break as soon as I engage the PTO! But we’ll see you never know, maybe it’ll last for years! :44: :65:
IMG_4011.jpeg
So ends another exciting and fulfilling day messing around in the shop!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Any bad day messing about in the shop ( as long as no serious injuries) is better than a "good" day sitting on the couch. imo.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder