Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by JSinMO »

We’ve got a full day today in and around the shop so let’s get going!

Let’s start by getting the 1941 M out of its winter slumber and ready to go to work. Fluids checked all greased up and ready for duty.
IMG_4982.jpeg
You know what I like about old tractors, or trucks, or cars?
They can sit all winter and still fire right up like you shut them off yesterday.
With that done let’s go get the garden ready. The 2N is still on disc duty. @propane1 Noel you asked about the disc the other day and I forgot to mention it has 16 inch discs. So yes it quite a bit for the old ford to handle. But it gets the job done!
IMG_4983.jpeg
IMG_4984.jpeg
I set the gangs a little less aggressive and it pulled much better. It also helps to be in ground that’s been worked and is looser than just cleared land.
IMG_4985.jpeg
Time to put the tillage implements up for the season. I cleaned up the disc and put it away then brought to plow in to get it ready for storage. Shiny plows are your friend! They pull so much better. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 5 - 16 behind a big tractor or a 1 bottom behind a GT. Everybody has their own method to keep rust off of plows, here’s what I do. I wipe them down with a little grease the spray them with what ever cheap paint I grab first.
IMG_4986.jpeg
This one sits out side all year and doesn’t get rusty. When it’s time to use it I just wipe the bottom off with some break cleaner.

Next let’s look at the 446. It’s been sputtering a little bit and I need to put the tire chain back on.
IMG_4987.jpeg
I pulled the plugs and they were dark looks like it’s running rich and burning some oil still. Cleaned them up and it’s running better but it still runs a little rough. Sounds like it sucked some dirt into the carb. For now I put a snake oil in the gas. I’ll run it some and see what happens.

I suppose since we worked up the garden might as well plant it. Took most of the rest of the day but I got it all in the ground! And just like that it went from a weed patch to planted and looking good in about a day!
IMG_4988.jpeg
One more task to do. I added about an acre to our hay production this year and I see thistle out there. Got to go cut that out. Luckily I got it before the seed head opened up.
IMG_4314.jpeg

My :wife: made some great Marvin Aday for supper with stuffing and green beans. So now I’m completely exhausted with a full belly! That was a long but fun day, thanks for coming along. I hope you’re projects are going well too!
propane1 Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by propane1 »

Thanks Jeff. You had a busy day.

Noel