Mice, rust and leak

Shoot the breeze here.
FreddyFont Canada

Mice, rust and leak

Post by FreddyFont »

Last night I had some spare time so I decided to spend it working on the tractor. When I purchased it, there was some debris between the hood and heat shield from a nest made by mice. So I decided to take out the shop vac and clean it up. Got most of the nest out but I could see that with time it caused rust that ate up a corner of the headlight housing and one of the braket. Close up the hood and... headlights don't work anymore!!

Decided to remove the heat shield to access the headlight to see what's going on. I couldn't get the bottom bolt out, it was rusted out. After trying all the ideas i could think of and pliers I had I ended up having to drill it out.

I decided to turn the tractor around to get better lighting to find out there is a bit of a leak coming from behind the panel where the hydraulic oil filter is located. I still have to change the oil so I'm hoping it will be a quick fix when I'm in there.

That was time to call it a night!! :124:
Eugen Canada

Re: Mice, rust and leak

Post by Eugen »

FreddyFont wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:21 am Last night I had some spare time so I decided to spend it working on the tractor. When I purchased it, there was some debris between the hood and heat shield from a nest made by mice. So I decided to take out the shop vac and clean it up. Got most of the nest out but I could see that with time it caused rust that ate up a corner of the headlight housing and one of the braket. Close up the hood and... headlights don't work anymore!!

Decided to remove the heat shield to access the headlight to see what's going on. I couldn't get the bottom bolt out, it was rusted out. After trying all the ideas i could think of and pliers I had I ended up having to drill it out.

I decided to turn the tractor around to get better lighting to find out there is a bit of a leak coming from behind the panel where the hydraulic oil filter is located. I still have to change the oil so I'm hoping it will be a quick fix when I'm in there.

That was time to call it a night!! :124:
Sounds like good progress. Little by little issues get fixed and the tractor gets nicer and nicer.

I found that the two best solutions for surface rust are steel brush and krud kutter

87F7A8C7-7B72-4BE0-801F-184D5F7AD91F.jpeg

This gel is pretty expensive but goes a long way. It's the only product that is easy to find around here that contains phosphoric acid. What I like about it leaves the steel with an oxide that is like a primer, ready to paint.

Unfortunately Ospho isn't easy to find if you're not in the US.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
FreddyFont Canada

Post by FreddyFont »

Thanks Eugen, I'll grab a bottle! I'll save the painting and rust scrubbing for the spring. Unless I don't get my hands on a blade or snowblower then I'll bring the hood inside and work on it then.

Quite frankly it felt more like a step back, especially after I found out they don't make the headlight anymore! :((
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I had the same problem on my 648. It had a mouse nest up in the front too. I cleaned it out then they built another one and the same spot! They finally got the message and move on.

I think you can find a headlight assembly. You could try these guys.
88608DE1-B8BB-4B70-8E39-A1A96518CD0C.jpeg
Some one here may know of some other places too.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

FreddyFont wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:40 pm Thanks Eugen, I'll grab a bottle! I'll save the painting and rust scrubbing for the spring. Unless I don't get my hands on a blade or snowblower then I'll bring the hood inside and work on it then.

Quite frankly it felt more like a step back, especially after I found out they don't make the headlight anymore! :((
Don't worry, you'll find headlights.

The rust treatment can be applied without scrubbing too. It inhibits the current rust and provides rust protection for a year (according to the literature). I have done this occasionally to delay rust until there's time to paint. But you probably noticed these tractors don't rust easily. I'm amazed by how resistant their metal is.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

FreddyFont wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:40 pm Thanks Eugen, I'll grab a bottle! I'll save the painting and rust scrubbing for the spring. Unless I don't get my hands on a blade or snowblower then I'll bring the hood inside and work on it then.

You will have to go to the used market ebay... for the headlight bucket. Often headlights not working is a grounding issue, these are grounded to the hood by the screws that hold the headlight in place, a little rust breaks the connection. The hood is grounded to the frame at the hood hinge, also susceptible to rust and crud build up. Many have run a wire from the engine block to the headlight buckets for a better ground, some have attached the wire to the buckets with rivets, small screws and nuts, I opted for copper tabs cut from a 1/2" copper pipe and soldered them to the buckets.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@FreddyFont I have a number Case parts in the storage trailer . What exactly do you need ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Since I found mice nests in my 226, I've been putting moth balls in a small netting bag like onions come in. I place it under the hood, and I have not found any mouse nests since.
Last winter I went to use my cutting torches which are stored in a wooden box of the back of the cart. There was a mouse nest inside, so I vacuumed it out with my shop vac. Then put in a moth ball bag and have not found a nest since. I figured they were walking up the hose which was hanging out the side of the box then into the hole in the side. Very energetic critters, I wish I had their energy! LOL!

Keep the :peace: :cop:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
FreddyFont Canada

Post by FreddyFont »

:j
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:03 am @FreddyFont I have a number Case parts in the storage trailer . What exactly do you need ?
I think I'll need a new headlight wire, the red one that goes in the headlight bucket, the wrapping was chewn off and I think it may have been the cause of my light problem. Maybe shorted out when I was in there with the shop vac?

I have a corner of one of the headlight bucket that was rusted out. Will be looking for one. Since its where the bracket was located. That little screw and bracket was located, doesn't look too sturdy without 2 brackets. That little screw was also a pain to remove :furious:

I think I'll need a new underhood heatshield. There is a 4x4 patch that is pretty rusted and the metal is pretty thin. I'll sand it and give it a coat of rust paint if it survive the sanding job. Its still usable, just not nice looking and I'm afraid with time the pieces will break from vibration.
Would it make a big difference if I don't put it back?

I'll admit I don't even own a thing to check if there is current going to the light :30: ... I'll grab one tonight and check this out as a starting point.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@FreddyFont I think it would help if you posted a picture of the parts that you may need, or identify them in a parts manual. For instance I have no idea what the under hood heat shield is, I don't think i have that on any of my tractors.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E