Page 1 of 1

A little more ready for $&@#

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:39 am
by propane1
Got the Caster on the Case 446 this morning. Jumpins what a beepin thing to get on. Any way, still have to get the belt on, chains on, and make something to carry my weights. Got the thrower waxed and parts of the tractor. Finish it all up tomorrow, hopefully. :rofl: :giggle:

And a couple pictures of the snow removal team for this year. Same as last year, but thought you might like to see. :hm:

Noel :D

Re: A little more ready for $&@#

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:46 am
by Eugen
Noel, I found that if the caster is raised about the height of a skid it is much easier to hook on. There is also a sequence of events that makes it quite easy, but I have to find it myself every year :)) I don't remember it. Otherwise, yes, it's a bear you wrestle! :109:

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:46 pm
by Timj
I would think if you have a hard floor a low dolley with casters, like they sell for moving snow plows, snowmobiles, and cars around. Just wheel it up to the tractor, you would then only be lifting the mule, slide it on the pins, and hook the snap fasts.
I still manhandle mine but I'll add it to my list of projects. :smash:

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:35 am
by DavidBarkey
The one advantage to putting the blower on the 3 pt. is hook up is easy .Comes in on a skid . 2 bolts , 2 hose connections , 1 pin , and 1 plug for the chute rotatory motor . The disadvantage is having to look over your shoulder to blow snow . Now changing the tires on Frankie is a lot more work as they weigh twice what I do each . I can roll them and have a special jack to install them . But if they fall over I need the overhead crane to stand them up again .

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:49 am
by propane1
That’s heavy Dave. Yes a 3 point hook up is better. But the turning around is not good. Two rear view mirrors would help that problem. I have a thrower that I can put on the MF 12, on the rear. Not a real 3 point on it, but sorta works the same. Manual lift. Son and I made this hook up years ago. The thrower that came with the tractor is suppose to be mounted on the front, like most garden tractors. But because this tractor has the homemade loader on the front, I knew I would never put the thrower on the front ever again. So we mounted a 8 hp motor on the thrower, would like to change it to a 10hp, and hooked up fuel and power from the tractor to run it and power it for starting. Worked good. Fun to use, for a while. Have not put it on in a few years now. I’ll find some pictures of it.

Noel

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:56 pm
by DavidBarkey
Ya me too , now . Todays adventures .
how it is stored
how it is stored
my apprentice "Jack"
my apprentice "Jack"
I let him do all the heavy work
I let him do all the heavy work
At over 300 lbs each . Jack is my friend .
At over 300 lbs each . Jack is my friend .
How you stop a 2200 lb loader tractor / blower
How you stop a 2200 lb loader tractor / blower
Now to go finish up and clean the driveway as that white :hitsfan: here . About 8" so far .

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:31 pm
by Eugen
Sorry, no pictures, but I cleaned the snow with the 644, as the snow caster needs the chain put on. Just pushed it away to various places.

Can you believe, my so far great walk behind Chinese made snowblower stopped moving yesterday. Just wanted to move it from one place to another, to deal with the snow until the Case snow caster is operational, and from 4 speeds forward and 2 reverse, it's now left with only one speed: Park! :cuss: I barely used it in the last 2 years. It's upsetting, it was a birthday present from :wife:

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:46 pm
by propane1
Must be water or oily stuff on the friction disk, if it’s driven that way Eugen.

Squirrels went somewhere warmer, maybe. :giggle:

Got my chains on today. Those are heavy tires Dave. No wonder you need a jack.
Mine might be 125 to 150lbs maybe each. 75lb weight, wheel, tire and chains.

Noel

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:02 pm
by Eugen
@DavidBarkey those are heavy wheels! I am not strong enough for such weights :D Cool breaks by the way! Frankie is nifty!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:07 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:46 pm Must be water or oily stuff on the friction disk, if it’s driven that way Eugen.

Squirrels went somewhere warmer, maybe. :giggle:

Got my chains on today. Those are heavy tires Dave. No wonder you need a jack.
Mine might be 125 to 150lbs maybe each. 75lb weight, wheel, tire and chains.

Noel
Friction disk? it's a lucky machine I don't have a shotgun!

Oh I like those chains Noel! :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:03 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:02 pm @DavidBarkey those are heavy wheels! I am not strong enough for such weights :D Cool breaks by the way! Frankie is nifty!
calcium is stupid heavy and they are 80% full and there is a lot in those big wheels .

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:09 pm
by propane1
I’m making up, sorry, thinking up a weight holder for two jugs full of pea gravel. Be about 60 lbs. So hoping to make that tomorrow. :rofl: Any way. All out of stuff already here. Won’t be pretty. But will hold the weight. Maybe. :hm: :42:
Tractor doesn’t need much weight added really. It did fine last year.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:49 am
by DavidBarkey
20221117_130409.jpg
One ready , now just to get rid of everyone else blowers so I can get back to the 446 Blower project.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:02 am
by Eugen
@DavidBarkey did you look out the window? We're rich Dave! Rich in snow! :cheers:

801C1D4F-BA4A-473D-8E20-41B0DEE903F2.jpeg

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:41 am
by propane1
Holy cats Eugen :109: :43: :42: :45: :O You keep that there. So you can have fun. :D

Noel. :wave:

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:55 am
by MattA
Looks like fun @Eugen. Are your boys out running the tractors yet? I still have my mowing deck on :cheers:

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:09 pm
by Eugen
MattA wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:55 am Looks like fun @Eugen. Are your boys out running the tractors yet? I still have my mowing deck on :cheers:
Yeah, in a way they are. I cannot start a tractor without them running to me and getting up in my arms. I'm having trouble running the 444 with two boys in my arms without a foot pedal.

Matt, it's happened to me that the first snow caught me with the deck on, but you live in a different weather zone, you don't need to worry about such things. :cheers:

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:51 pm
by Harry
Well you probably all heard that WNY is in the process of getting buried in SNOW. Mostly in Erie County, I live in Niagara County. We got a couple of inches last night and the grass is all covered but my driveway and the roads are clear. The wind is supposed to change direction and were supposed to get the SNOW tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I can.

Keep the :peace: :cop:
Harry

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:21 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:51 pm Well you probably all heard that WNY is in the process of getting buried in SNOW. Mostly in Erie County, I live in Niagara County. We got a couple of inches last night and the grass is all covered but my driveway and the roads are clear. The wind is supposed to change direction and were supposed to get the SNOW tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I can.

Harry
Are you ready for Snowmagetton ? They are talking some insaine amounts down there . We here have had a foot so far , they are suppose to get many feet .
Stay safe all.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:43 pm
by propane1
Heard about some weather coming Saturday nite into Sunday here. But have not checked the forecast yet.

A little more done today to the 446. A weight carrier. Just out of stuff I had here. So about 50 to 55 lbs there. Easy on and off. Still need two bungee cords. What colour bungee do I get ????

So remove two bungee cords, lift off the two jugs and remove one bolt. That’s it, summer mode.

And, if I or someone get stuck. Easy to get some traction aid out of the jugs. Then refill.

Still have to get the belt on yet.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:47 pm
by Eugen
Imagine if you filled them with lead bits!

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:57 pm
by propane1
Imagine what that would cost. Here in PEI. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:24 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:57 pm Imagine what that would cost. Here in PEI. Hehe.

Noel
Get to know your local tire shop well . Wheel weights can be cut into nuggets .

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:11 pm
by propane1
I know a fella at coast tire fairly well. Thanks Dave. That would be a good thing.

Noel

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:18 pm
by Gordy
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:24 pm
Propane57 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:57 pm Imagine what that would cost. Here in PEI. Hehe.

Noel
Get to know your local tire shop well . Wheel weights can be cut into nuggets .
Good luck with that :65: I tried to buy them at a dozen shops. Same story every time, they already have a guy that gets them all. :headbash:

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:27 pm
by JSinMO
Years ago I had a bunch of lead ingots that were on the front of our 830. I took them off and scrapped them when I put the loader on it. I wish I would have kept them now!

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:01 pm
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:27 pm Years ago I had a bunch of lead ingots that were on the front of our 830. I took them off and scrapped them when I put the loader on it. I wish I would have kept them now!
Oh no, too bad! These are times when all metal is precious. I called a metal recycler in Toronto last year to buy some lead. The price I don't remember but it was high. :109:

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:41 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:01 pm
JSinMO wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:27 pm Years ago I had a bunch of lead ingots that were on the front of our 830. I took them off and scrapped them when I put the loader on it. I wish I would have kept them now!
Oh no, too bad! These are times when all metal is precious. I called a metal recycler in Toronto last year to buy some lead. The price I don't remember but it was high. :109:
I remember thinking I have no use for these I might as well cash them in. If only I could have seen into the future, they would have been perfect on the back of the 446!

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:47 pm
by propane1
There now. Two bungee cords on weight jugs. Now to get the belt on. And soon. !!!!

Noel

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:54 pm
by propane1
Propane57 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:49 am That’s heavy Dave. Yes a 3 point hook up is better. But the turning around is not good. Two rear view mirrors would help that problem. I have a thrower that I can put on the MF 12, on the rear. Not a real 3 point on it, but sorta works the same. Manual lift. Son and I made this hook up years ago. The thrower that came with the tractor is suppose to be mounted on the front, like most garden tractors. But because this tractor has the homemade loader on the front, I knew I would never put the thrower on the front ever again. So we mounted a 8 hp motor on the thrower, would like to change it to a 10hp, and hooked up fuel and power from the tractor to run it and power it for starting. Worked good. Fun to use, for a while. Have not put it on in a few years now. I’ll find some pictures of it.

Noel

Strangely after mentioning this rear thrower the other day. It left my garage today. Son came over and had the thought of putting it on the rear of the MF 14 tractor. Been sitting there for a few years. So now it may get used.

Noel

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:00 pm
by Eugen
That's great Noel, feels good to see it used again! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:19 pm
by propane1
Hehe. Son is wound up. Got it set up giving it the eye.

Noel

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:20 pm
by JSinMO
Looks like it’s gonna work great! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:31 am
by propane1
Holy cats son is making great progress on getting the rear thrower working. He’s real good at figuring things.

Noel

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:53 am
by JSinMO
I’m sure it will work good, but even if it doesn’t it sure looks mean hanging on the back of the tractor! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:03 pm
by Harry
Looks like a heavy piece of equipment that will certainly give you traction on the rear wheels.
Harry

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:37 pm
by propane1
He’s got more done. Just a few things more, like fuel, and any it goes.

Noel

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:52 pm
by propane1
Son and I got a little more done on the rear snow thrower. Got the chute turning handle rigged up. A gas tank now, or draw fuel from the tractor and she should work.

Noel

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:26 pm
by JSinMO
Dang Noel, you guys made quick work of that project!
Your ready for the big snows now!

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:41 pm
by Eugen
Noel, great progress! Is this for you or for your son?

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:57 am
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:41 pm Noel, great progress! Is this for you or for your son?
This is for son Eugen.

Noel

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:01 pm
by propane1
Was at the small fellas business today and got a gas tank for sons rear thrower project. Thought I had one. But I guess not.

Any way. While there got talking about engines. He has a cub cadet there with a bad engine. Don’t know the number of the cub and all I know about the engine is he said it was a vanguard. 16 hp twin horizontal shaft. He says it’s blowing oil out the carb, I think is what he said. Figures piston and maybe cylinder bad. What do you think guys based on the limited amount of information I gave yas. I know nothing about those engines. He’s not sure about selling it. Figures engine no good.

And has a kohler kt17 with a oil filter on it which makes me think it’s a series II. I don’t know much about those engines either. This engine he had running a couple of years ago for a customer. Customer never picked it up or paid bill. This one could be for sale. Still in a Ariens gt17. Have to take the whole tractor. No price yet.

Noel

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:03 pm
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:01 pm Was at the small fellas business today and got a gas tank for sons rear thrower project. Thought I had one. But I guess not.

Any way. While there got talking about engines. He has a cub cadet there with a bad engine. Don’t know the number of the cub and all I know about the engine is he said it was a vanguard. 16 hp twin horizontal shaft. He says it’s blowing oil out the carb, I think is what he said. Figures piston and maybe cylinder bad. What do you think guys based on the limited amount of information I gave yas. I know nothing about those engines. He’s not sure about selling it. Figures engine no good.

And has a kohler kt17 with a oil filter on it which makes me think it’s a series II. I don’t know much about those engines either. This engine he had running a couple of years ago for a customer. Customer never picked it up or paid bill. This one could be for sale. Still in a Ariens gt17. Have to take the whole tractor. No price yet.

Noel
The Kohler KT 17 with the oil filter is an ok engine , The twin without filter is a gernade waiting to go off .
The Vangards like to blow the head gasket between the cylinder and push rod gallory pumping compression into the crankcase / pushing oil out pcv vent . For this reason a lot of those engines were frequently blamed for bad rings . Now that not to say that is the case here , but could be . The only way to know is to do a compression test , see if one or both cylinders are low on psi. Then pull the valve covers of and check to see if there is "wind " coming out from the gasket area between the cylinder and push rod gallory . Smoke or a strip of paper while cranking works .

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:14 pm
by propane1
Thanks Dave.

Noel

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:33 pm
by MattA
Noel - The Vanguards are known for gasket failures which cause oil vapor to be sucked through the PCV system into the carb/air filter area. Eventually the oil filter gets covered in oil and it increases the vacuum on the PCV system which makes the problem worse. Oil can drip out of the air filter housing, down through the engine onto the frame rails on Ingersoll tractors. Typical failed gaskets are the front and rear crankshaft gaskets even if they are not dripping, the crankcase gasket and I've heard of the dipstick tube gasket also failing. I think the gasket kit used to be sub $100 for all engine gaskets. Replace the air filter with the gaskets. I have the service manual on pdf if you want it. I've been meaning to upload it to the Vanguard engines section.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:38 pm
by MattA
Here are the manuals Noel:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1170

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:53 pm
by Gordy
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:03 pm
propane1 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:01 pm Was at the small fellas business today and got a gas tank for sons rear thrower project. Thought I had one. But I guess not.

Noel
The Kohler KT 17 with the oil filter is an ok engine , The twin without filter is a gernade waiting to go off .
The Vangards like to blow the head gasket between the cylinder and push rod gallory pumping compression into the crankcase / pushing oil out pcv vent . For this reason a lot of those engines were frequently blamed for bad rings . Now that not to say that is the case here , but could be . The only way to know is to do a compression test , see if one or both cylinders are low on psi. Then pull the valve covers of and check to see if there is "wind " coming out from the gasket area between the cylinder and push rod gallory . Smoke or a strip of paper while cranking works .
Dave, I guess I have had better luck than you. I have a couple KT-19's without the oil filter, the tins and air filter covers do say Series II. They are on 83-86 Simplicity 7119's and still run strong, but are in need of rebuild due to oil consumption. There are 3 things I have had issues with, carbs, starters and crank seals. But there are a lot of hours on them and these things are to be expected.

Gordy

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:23 am
by propane1
Thank you MattA.

Noel

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:33 am
by DavidBarkey
@Gordy All the non filter KTs I see are series 1 and with filter are series 2 . So it might me what a person sees relative to the market they are in . There is a reason they came out with a series 2 . Obviously first generation had oiling problems . I have only been doing for about 10 years now so , still have much to learn .

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 am
by Gordy
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:33 am @Gordy All the non filter KTs I see are series 1 and with filter are series 2 . So it might me what a person sees relative to the market they are in . There is a reason they came out with a series 2 . Obviously first generation had oiling problems . I have only been doing for about 10 years now so , still have much to learn .
So info I have is that the KT series 1 was a splash oil system with problems, with the series 2 being a pressurised oil system. Whether the KT-2 had a filter or not depended on the application and the manufacturer using them. For my simplicity 7119's the repower places online only offer non filtered engines due to hood interference. Before I knew of those repower places I bought a BS VG 12 hp to put on a AC 712 (rebranded Simplicity), the hood hit the oil filter. I had the option of cutting the hood :109: or relocating the filter. I opted for a new filter mount, basically 2 pieces of steel plate welded at about 30 degrees with strategic holes drilled and stainless tubing TIG welded in place. The angle was enough to clear the hood and no hoses in the way.

Gordy

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:22 pm
by Gordy
Took some pictures of the oil filter adaptor I made to clear the hood for the AC 712 and BS VG 12 hp. And yah I need to learn how to use a rattle can :roll:

SAM_0990.JPG
SAM_0989.JPG
SAM_0991.JPG
Gordy

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:33 pm
by Timj
Gordy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:22 pm Took some pictures of the oil filter adaptor I made to clear the hood for the AC 712 and BS VG 12 hp. And yah I need to learn how to use a rattle can :roll:

SAM_0990.JPG

SAM_0989.JPG

SAM_0991.JPG

Gordy
Nice job Gordy, :thumbsup: it's not leaking enough oil to keep it from rusting. :lol: guess you'll have to paint it. :highfive:

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:07 pm
by Eugen
@Gordy I'll let you in on a secret about the rattle cans. Paint when it's freezing outside. That way you can blame the weather if the paint job sucks. Works for me wonders :D

Seriously now, good job! Is that filter for the engine or hydraulic oil? All my tractors are from the previous century, no filters of any kind. At times I daydream having an oil filter installed. Then I pinch myself. :giggle:

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:25 am
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:07 pm @Gordy I'll let you in on a secret about the rattle cans. Paint when it's freezing outside. That way you can blame the weather if the paint job sucks. Works for me wonders :D

Seriously now, good job! Is that filter for the engine or hydraulic oil? All my tractors are from the previous century, no filters of any kind. At times I daydream having an oil filter installed. Then I pinch myself. :giggle:
That is the engine oil filter, remember this is a repower from back around 2000 or so. This tractor has a hydrostatic rear end so the hydro filter is on the left side of the hydrostatic unit/axle. As to the age, tractordata.com say's the AC 712 was produced from 1974-1979.

Gordy

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:39 pm
by propane1
Well son got the rear snow thrower going. I got him a gas tank last weekend. He put it on tonite. Put some fuel in, couple of pulls and away it went. Had not been going in a few years. So, just in time for tomorrows snow storm, if it happens.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:32 pm
by JSinMO
Not a moment to soon :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:02 am
by Eugen
I was going to say, just in time! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:21 am
by propane1
Well some wet snow last nite and son had the rear mounted thrower out heaving the wet snow. Worked good. The 8 hp tecumseh motor sounds great when the load comes on it. Throwing the wet snow not to bad. Video on Real Garden Tractors web site or face book site, what ever it’s called, :106: if you’d interested in seeing it.

Noel. :D

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:48 am
by Eugen
I liked the movies, thank you Noel! That setup works well! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:28 pm
by propane1
A little more snow removal today. Movie on Real Garden Tractors. Played musical tractors today and took out the Case 224 to clear the snow. It has not done anything since the middle of the summer, when it had mowing deck troubles, which is not fixed yet. I’ve had it started a few time since, so it was out cleaning up snow today. Worked great. Doesn’t throw snow to far, worse than the Case 446. Any way got the job done. Great traction.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:25 pm
by JSinMO
Looks like it did a great job, and looked good doing it! :highfive:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:59 pm
by propane1
Thanks Jeff.

Noel