The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
MattA United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by MattA »

Similar weather here this weekend. High of 14F and low of 3F on Saturday. Sunday were back onto the 40's.

The warmer weather has been nice to my heating bill. My propane got filled yesterday and I've still got half of my prebuy money left and I didn't buy much extra this year.

The added humidity has also been nice. Were running about 30% while only evaporating about a gallon a day. Usually I'm struggling to maintain 20% at 2 gallons per day and waking up feeling hung over from dehydration. I'm running an evaporative wick type humidifier on the lowest fan speed because it's too loud even on the lowest fan speed. I can't run the ultrasonic humidifiers because they put off a white dust with my water which quickly clogs my HVAC filters and sets off the fire alarms.

End morning ramble...
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:17 am Similar weather here this weekend. High of 14F and low of 3F on Saturday. Sunday were back onto the 40's.

The warmer weather has been nice to my heating bill. My propane got filled yesterday and I've still got half of my prebuy money left and I didn't buy much extra this year.

The added humidity has also been nice. Were running about 30% while only evaporating about a gallon a day. Usually I'm struggling to maintain 20% at 2 gallons per day and waking up feeling hung over from dehydration. I'm running an evaporative wick type humidifier on the lowest fan speed because it's too loud even on the lowest fan speed. I can't run the ultrasonic humidifiers because they put off a white dust with my water which quickly clogs my HVAC filters and sets off the fire alarms.

End morning ramble...

Are you on a well Matt ? I know that our water is so hard I ware a hard hat in the shower . :lol: :lol: But seriously have you looked at a small RO. system / cocktail fosset type just to feed a humidifier ? They make even the wick type work better .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:02 am
MattA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:17 am Similar weather here this weekend. High of 14F and low of 3F on Saturday. Sunday were back onto the 40's.

End morning ramble...

Are you on a well Matt ? I know that our water is so hard I ware a hard hat in the shower . :lol: :lol: But seriously have you looked at a small RO. system / cocktail fosset type just to feed a humidifier ? They make even the wick type work better .
I am on a well with a time based filter & softener system. Goes through about 100lbs of salt per month. Our fridge has a secondary water filter bit the flow rate is terrible. I hadn't thought of using that water in the humidifier. I do use a water treatment in the humidifier.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I hope the discharge from the water softener is not going into your septic tank . Hardest thing on a septic system is a water softener .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 pm I hope the discharge from the water softener is not going into your septic tank . Hardest thing on a septic system is a water softener .
Yep. When I put this house up I was able to blackmail :shh: the contractor into putting in a seperate drain for the water softener, he or one of his men snapped off the pine tree (about 6' off the ground) they had no business being close to with the hoe. He agreed to put in the drain rather than paying $1,500 to replace the tree :thumbsup: The footing was still exposed to dig under, and I had the 4 inch pvc and drain tile. So hand dug under the footing, then the hoe dug a trench 18 feet with about 6" drop from the footing, then dug a hole 8' deep x 4' wide and about 12 - 15 ' long. The hole was lined with fabric and 1/2 of a truck load of 1.5" clean rock was added then the drain tile added to the pvc and about 6" under the top of the rock, then fold the fabric over the top and back fill.

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:52 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 pm I hope the discharge from the water softener is not going into your septic tank . Hardest thing on a septic system is a water softener .
Yep. When I put this house up I was able to blackmail :shh: the contractor into putting in a seperate drain for the water softener, he or one of his men snapped off the pine tree (about 6' off the ground) they had no business being close to with the hoe. He agreed to put in the drain rather than paying $1,500 to replace the tree :thumbsup: The footing was still exposed to dig under, and I had the 4 inch pvc and drain tile. So hand dug under the footing, then the hoe dug a trench 18 feet with about 6" drop from the footing, then dug a hole 8' deep x 4' wide and about 12 - 15 ' long. The hole was lined with fabric and 1/2 of a truck load of 1.5" clean rock was added then the drain tile added to the pvc and about 6" under the top of the rock, then fold the fabric over the top and back fill.

Gordy
We need a permit for that kind of thing here, I think. It's called a class 3 sewage system (grey water) :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:26 pm
Gordy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:52 pm

Gordy
We need a permit for that kind of thing here, I think. It's called a class 3 sewage system (grey water) :109:
:shh: Probably need it here too. I had the elbow glued on inside and was ready to glue a standpipe on, when that contractor saw me and stopped me. He had me place a chunk of plywood on the elbow and cover it with dirt until after the final inspection :109:

Later one of the inspectors told me they were trying to get that contractor banned from working in our county, due to shady work. Which could explain why multiple inspectors spent so much time here. Not much had to be fixed, but they had the fine toothed comb out ;)

Gordy

Post by MattA »

The water softener was put in before I bought the house. It's got a separate pipe that goes out a different direction from the septic into the yard maybe 20' from the house. I can see where the pipe goes because the yard sunk.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:07 pm
The water softener was put in before I bought the house. It's got a separate pipe that goes out a different direction from the septic into the yard maybe 20' from the house. I can see where the pipe goes because the yard sunk.
Good . What is your heating source ? Heat recovery unit? Trying to understand why yours is so dry . We get periods of dry air , but nothing like what you describe . We do not have a a humidifier either , but everything is natural gas .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:43 am
MattA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:07 pm
Good . What is your heating source ? Heat recovery unit? Trying to understand why yours is so dry . We get periods of dry air , but nothing like what you describe . We do not have a a humidifier either , but everything is natural gas .
We heat with propane. It's a forced air system with two zones located in the attic. The heater is your typical builders special 80% efficient unit and the ac is also your typical builders special inefficient unit. Water is propane on demand.

I'd like to look into a heat pump system. National grid has Grant's for up to $10000.
Ingersoll 4016