The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
MattA United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by MattA »

We got about 2hrs of light to medium rain (green+orange on the radar) Friday night, another hour Saturday night and a half hour Sunday night. The lawn hasn't really recovered much. More rain expected later this week. Can't complain, the weather was cool and breezy this morning. I worked from home for several hours in the shade on my deck this morning.
Ingersoll 4016
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Well the interesting weather continues around here! We are still hot and dry, the rain we were supposed to get missed us again. :33: However we have a chance of storms for the next three days so we’ll see. All the tractors decided to run for the shop and wait it out!
IMG_5155.jpeg
IMG_5156.jpeg
I really need to consider finding a way to build a shed!

Here again I find my self in a kind of odd position. We need the rain but we have been watching the river forecast and it looks like we might have a flood! This is due to all the heavy rain and flooding that is happening in Iowa. All that water has to come down the Mississippi River. The decision was made to start sandbagging to try and stop the water from getting into the buildings in our little town. They are calling for volunteers for the morning of the 4th of July.

32 feet will put the river into some of them. Right now the forecast it showing 31.70
IMG_5157.png
That doesn’t take into account any rain that falls to our north in the next few days.

Thankfully river flooding won’t directly affect our place. But I hate to see our town get wet. Construction has begun on a flood wall like a lot of other river towns have now days, but it’s not ready yet so we’ll have to fight the flood the old fashioned way this time. Sand bags and pumps till it’s over!

It seems odd I guess, but this is just part of life on the rivers.
I’ve loved being around the big river all my life but I sure have fought and cussed them in flood times!
Here are a couple of pictures from back in 2019.
We build a levee right down Front Street! You can see the roofs of the pavilions sticking out of the water over in the park.
IMG_1292.jpeg
IMG_1293.jpeg
IMG_1324.jpeg
That’s me on a neighbors Kubota coming back from delivering sand bags. Luckily I don’t think it will get that bad this time around.

Well now it been quite awhile since I’ve been on a ramble like that! Enough weather talk for today! :giggle:
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

That's a lot of water, hope you are spared this time.

Bob
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

:O I have never experienced anything like that in my neck of the woods . Water is a beautiful thing until it turns against you . It would appear that water is a lot like a women . Difficult to live with at times , but you can't live without them . :wife:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

Good luck with the water. How high did the water get in 2019?
Ingersoll 4016

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:28 pm Good luck with the water. How high did the water get in 2019?
I believe it crested at 37.4. So within 3 tenths of the record set in 1993. Large floods are quite a sight to see. The river basically becomes an inland sea that covers thousands of acres. Back in 93 we were boating right over the top of houses and even the post office in the town I grew up in. And we passed a house or two that broke off its foundation and was floating down river as we were going up! If you didn’t know the area you would never guess you boating right over someone’s house!

Post by JSinMO »

It has always amazed me how hurricanes can still pack such a punch with heavy rain and wind all the through the middle of the U.S.

Looks like Beryl will be no different.
IMG_5217.jpeg
IMG_5218.jpeg
It will be a tropical storm by the time it gets here but wind gusts up to 60MPH and potentially over 3” of rain is more that enough! So far our county is one of the few not in a flash flood warning.
We’ll have to keep an eye on the river and see if this changes the current flood levels. As of Saturday there was some minor flooding down in town but it’s still on the rise.
IMG_5183.jpeg

Post by MattA »

Good luck with the flooding. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Hopefully the' weather guessers " over estimated . We are north off the boarder and still they are sounding alarm bells that the world might end from that storm their getting down south up here .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:01 pm Hopefully the' weather guessers " over estimated . We are north off the boarder and still they are sounding alarm bells that the world might end from that storm their getting down south up here .
You were right, this ended up being a bit of a “chicken little” situation, at least for us. I’m not complaining! We were in the north west edge of it. About an inch of a nice slow all day rain, and no wind. So far the river forecast hasn’t gone up, the storm seems to just have lengthened the amount of time the river will stay up before it drop back into its banks. Good news for sure. There were some places south of here that had some flash flooding but I’ve sure seen worse!