The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
Toolslinger United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by Toolslinger »

The 140 most certainly does. Really an outstanding blower. And honestly, I prefer the 140's control layout over the Case, plus it has real, split brakes...

The JD300, isn't the garden tractor... It's the industrial. Loader in this case, so 40 something hp, and 2000# lift on the loader.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Ohhh, I see. :giggle: Yes the JD140’s are nice. Is it an H3 or H1. The split brakes sure are handy.
Mine is a 1970 JD140H3. And I have a snow thrower on it.

Noel
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Toolslinger wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:30 pm They've got me in the 6-12 band... Hard to imagine after the last 4 beautiful days we've had... Supposed to be heavy, wet snow.
Same weather here. 55F or so on Saturday.
You are in PA/NJ right?
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Toolslinger wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:30 pm They've got me in the 6-12 band... Hard to imagine after the last 4 beautiful days we've had... Supposed to be heavy, wet snow.

Everything was started, and is sitting with battery chargers overnight. The damn 444 was pumping fuel out the carb. Why, I don't know, but I dropped the bowl, blew everything out, and it's fine now. Brand new carb, all new fuel line, and a filter 3" from the carb inlet. I don't know what else I can do to avoid that, I can't imagine there was anything in there, the bowl was perfectly clean. 8N fired right up. And if it gets serious the JD300 is ready too. The JD140 is across the street as even more backup, but I didn't start, or charge that.
Check you filter real close if tranperant or just change it . I last year had on the was not sealling internally and stuff was getting past . Ethanol can break down the hose and little peaces can come loose , this is why I only use automotive grade fuel hose now .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Toolslinger »

Noel - I've got an H1. My father bought it new in 1971, along with a 38" deck, blower, model 80 trailer, and the EZ-Rake blower, and trailer canopy. Still have everything except the canopy which rotted apart. The blower is now mounted on an old Trac Vac trailer, and keeps going. Love that simple old Kohler... Going to sell it all except the cart, which is about the best cart out there. Way heavier than anything current, and bigger than the Case I believe (which I've never run across anyway).

Matt - Yep, Eastern PA, and working in central NJ.

David - I hear ya. It's running injection rated automotive fuel line. The filter looks fine, but of course I might not see a flaw. The tank was just flushed a month ago when I replaced all the lines, filter, and carb. If it happens again, I'll swap the filter for sure. Hopefully it was some spec of manufacturing crud that came with the filter on the carb side of the mesh.

The storm may be overperforming here a bit... Was supposed to start snowing at 5 am. I got up at 3:30, and there was 2". It's currently easily 7", possibly 8" out there now at 7am...
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Toolslinger wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:57 am Noel - I've got an H1. My father bought it new in 1971, along with a 38" deck, blower, model 80 trailer, and the EZ-Rake blower, and trailer canopy. Still have everything except the canopy which rotted apart. The blower is now mounted on an old Trac Vac trailer, and keeps going. Love that simple old Kohler... Going to sell it all except the cart, which is about the best cart out there. Way heavier than anything current, and bigger than the Case I believe (which I've never run across anyway).

Matt - Yep, Eastern PA, and working in central NJ.

David - I hear ya. It's running injection rated automotive fuel line. The filter looks fine, but of course I might not see a flaw. The tank was just flushed a month ago when I replaced all the lines, filter, and carb. If it happens again, I'll swap the filter for sure. Hopefully it was some spec of manufacturing crud that came with the filter on the carb side of the mesh.

The storm may be overperforming here a bit... Was supposed to start snowing at 5 am. I got up at 3:30, and there was 2". It's currently easily 7", possibly 8" out there now at 7am...
If it's a new China carb like I got a few in the last couple of years watch out the plastic float. Not saying it's what's causing your problem, just watch out if you touch it a little rough when blowing, or if you try to adjust the tab. The tab is poorly "glued" to the float. I broke on with the littlest effort. A good thing I keep all the brass floats from the old carbs. Just saying... :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Toolslinger »

Metal float thankfully.

Just in from an emergency clearing... Power went down, and I had failed to pre-set the generator... Every time I do, the power is fine... I guess that's cheap insurance, but it's annoying... I really need to do some kind of more or less permanent install.

444 did just fine. snow is basically up to the top of the blower housing. Heavy, and wet, but it did ok.
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

We only got about 5" of heavy wet solid snow. Poor vanguard got a workout running the Berco. I was only removing about 18" wide at a time.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

First pass must of been nasty Matt.

No snow here yet after all the yakin about it. Might be some tomorrow.

Noel
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Well it's finally snowing here, about 3" of the wet stuff on the ground. If I need to clean the driveway it will be with the walk behind John Deere snowblower because my front wheel bearings are toast on the case. I bought cheap Princess Auto bearings hoping they would get me through winter but not a chance. I think they maybe good for a wheelbarrow but not for a lawn tractor and up in size. :cheers: