Sons power back on. Woohoo

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Sons power back on. Woohoo

Post by propane1 »

He was 15 days without power. Took less than 10 minutes to fix.

Noel
Attachments
99F6EB74-72A4-4110-8557-FB3CEB8E5F54.jpeg
AF1314AF-A24B-4A5A-9FB8-18E6304B8889.jpeg
4851D508-7F9C-44F4-AE4F-4736ABCA1845.jpeg
D46FFB47-1C71-4A8B-BD08-2CA8CD4DFE11.jpeg
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Sons power back on. Woohoo

Post by DavidBarkey »

Good to here he is back online .
Let me guess , they had to replace the pole fuse . I talked to a hydro worker one day when we had a large power outage around here after a major storm rolled through . All he had to do is replace the fuse here to get us back online . He said that they have to isolate and repair downs and shorts before areas get turned back on . They start repairs with what will get the most people back up first , then work through the rest . Great if your the first back up but frustrating when your the last as we never see the whole picture from there side .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:31 am Good to here he is back online .
Let me guess , they had to replace the pole fuse . I talked to a hydro worker one day when we had a large power outage around here after a major storm rolled through . All he had to do is replace the fuse here to get us back online . He said that they have to isolate and repair downs and shorts before areas get turned back on . They start repairs with what will get the most people back up first , then work through the rest . Great if your the first back up but frustrating when your the last as we never see the whole picture from there side .
Well that’s exactly what they do here Dave. Sons trouble was one broken wire. We thanked the two fellas when they were done. And on to the next one.

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I have a lot of experience with this. When I started my career as a telecommunications tech cell phones weren’t really a thing yet and the home computer with dial up internet was exploding. Telephone cables were vital. I worked in many storm recovery situations. You have to work methodically. Everything has to be assessed first, and then the repair plan is started. It can be quite dangerous after a storm. I know of 2 electrical linemen that were killed while restoring service after storms. I was present for the first one. I was working on the main phone cable. He was working live power with a bucket truck when he made contact. The second guy was walking the line assessing the damage he stepped on a live line tangled in downed trees. As the days go by workers start to get fatigued and you pretty much are living out of your truck, you really have to be careful.

It sucks for the repair men too. It’s hard to to have to tell people sorry we’ll get to you as soon as we can. You wish you could just flip a switch and have everybody back up. In my experience most people have been understanding and in a lot of cases I have seen mutual support between customer and workers. In the summer they brought us water in the winter coffee. I’ve helped a lot of customers move debris or vehicles or just talk with them as there trying to get a handle on the damage to their property.

In my case with the advent of cell phones, and fiber optics we don’t see the storm recover issues like we used to. We still do a lot of work but the urgency isn’t the same. I have a lot of respect for the power guys I had to wait to start my recovery work a lot of times until they got to work first.

I’m glad you’re services are back up now, let’s hope it’s a dang long time before something like this happens again.

There’s a utility lineman rambling for you! :D
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Good ramble Jeff. When we lost power in a storm two years ago, I was mighty impressed with the service workers restoring out lines in pouring rain at midnight. Words could not express our gratitude. It's very nice to hear your take on it, given your experience.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Great ramble Jeff. And thanks for your service. I might be able to get back to rambling with in the next week or two. I feel for the line service guys that are here from other provinces, to help us, that were hit by Fiona. They have all the same trouble at their homes, broken this, broken that and clean up, that we have. They are not home to deal with all that. So that’s waiting for them when they get home, and who knows what else is wrong when they get home.

Noel