Fall has arrived.

Shoot the breeze here.
Timj United States of America

Fall has arrived.

Post by Timj »

First day of fall yesterday. Woke up to our first frost yesterday morning. Don't really want to think about it, but winter is coming. Wow, has time been flying.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Re: Fall has arrived.

Post by Eugen »

Yes, chilly here too, we had frost warning. It'll make the tomatoes sweeter they say. Yeah right?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

My social planner decided that Thursday was the last chance to attended an outdoor production of a play that started at 7 pm and ended at 9:45. The temperature was 6C/43F, We donned our winter coats, grabbed a blanket from the bed and breathed steam for the duration of the play. The poor actors were "Winterpeg Tough" (Winnipeg Manitoba) as they never showed signs of goose bumps or shivers. They were a very hardy troupe.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Don't know about you guys but here in northern MI, I broke down and tuned the heat on in the house. Don't think I've done that in September very often if at all.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I have baseboard electric heat and I did hear the heaters snapping last night when they kicked on. The cooler weather is very welcome for me. I don't like it when it's very hot. Last week I was at Disney in Florida with grand children and it was unbearable for me. Hoorah for fall weather.

Keep the Peace :cop: :peace:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Cooler with less humidity here but no threat of frost. We’re probably about a month away from that yet.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:30 pm Don't know about you guys but here in northern MI, I broke down and tuned the heat on in the house. Don't think I've done that in September very often if at all.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I have had ours on for a couple days now .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

We had 54f outside and a 50/50 sun/cloud mix this morning. 10 minutes after I set up the solar air heater in the front door, it went to full over cast and sprinkles :cry:

:cheers:
Gordy
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Whelp, I've already got a decent layer of big oak leaves on the lawn. Last year I waited too long to fire up the leaf vacuum, so I decided to get the jump on it.

So I removed the grapple from the loader bucket. I'll have to circle back next week to get its hoses all routed and hooked up. I still need to weld in a few gussets and paint it, but other than that it's all finished. It's going to be handy.

Then I used the loader to move my big leaf dumping/compost pile back into the corner of the yard so I have a fresh place to dump leaves. While I was at it, I picked up 3 or 4 buckets full of nice soil to dump in a few ruts that I have in the yard. I found a 4" diameter stump down under the leaf pile, and with 3 or 4 repeated rammings it dug out for me. That was satisfying.

Then I headed to the big steel sawhorse and removed the loader.

Pull the tractor in under sawhorse until it is directly above the loader's rear crossbar, and turn the engine off.
Remove the two big pins from the left and right loader towers/shackles.
Use the two hydraulic QD's to take the loader valve out of the hydraulic flow stream.
Attach the winch hook to the crossbar and crank it up to lift the rear end of the loader up a couple inches.
Start the tractor and back up, leaving the loader behind.

I'm impressed with my own engineering every time I do it! :rofl:

Then I dropped the concrete counterweight off of the 3pt hitch, and installed the 3pt. ball hitch adapter. This one has an extra ball that's offset about 8 inches to the right. Since the deck discharges out to the right side and the leaf vacuum sucks in from the right side, having the vacuum trailer offset to the right side means that the vacuum hose doesn't have to make such sharp bends, especially when turning.

Then I attached the vacuum chute/housing to the mower deck. I went ahead and cleaned up a longstanding issue on it: It slips pretty tightly onto the deck discharge area, but it's actually locked in place with a screw. For the last two years, that screw was just a large-ish drill tip sheet metal screw. This year I went ahead and drilled out that hole and installed a 5/16" rivet nut, and installed a 5/16" bolt. Much more official, and won't wallow out the hole like a sheet metal screw does.

Now I have two final hurdles before I'm ready to suck leaves: When I put away the leaf vacuum last year, I accidentally drove over the big 10" vaccum hose, which ripped it off of the leaf vacuum intake housing. The spiral hose ended up unwinding by 2 or 3 inches. So I need to re-attach it, and I don't think it has a lot of excess slack. So I may have to break out some duct tape or similar to make it workable. The hose cost me almost $100, so I'm loathe to replace it unless I have to.

And of course the 8 hp Briggs commercial engine on the vacuum itself won't start. I shot it a bit of starter fluid and it coughed to life, but then it died and wouldn't restart. And then a stream of gas started piddling from the carburetor. I presume the float or needle valve is stuck or whatever. I turned off the tank shutoff, and I need to pull the carb and give it a bit of attention. If I can I'll order a kit for it, or even a replacement carb if they're cheap and available. But I have to get the carb off to see. It was stubborn on last year's first start, so no surpise that it requires some intervention this year.

I was quite pleased with myself for all that I did get accomplished, but the :wife: was just disappointed for the fact that no leaves got sucked.

You can't win them all..

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

NOW who's the leaves' daddy?

An hour and 15 minutes. Dumped 3 loads full. The chute plugged up once.

The new carburetor on the 8 hp vacuum engine worked like magic. Easy starts, perfect running.

Now I have a nice, swept lawn.

Note the unvacuumed section for comparison to how the whole yard was .

Not too shabby.

Bob
PXL_20221021_173256877.jpg
PXL_20221021_173133443.jpg
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"