Hydrogen hybrid conversion

Shoot the breeze here.
MattA United States of America

Re: Hydrogen hybrid conversion

Post by MattA »

I built a HHO generator 10+ years back using some stainless steel electrical box covers, some grommets for insulating and some screws to hold the stack of plates together. Probably spent $10 on the project. It made hydrogen bubbles which were fun to light on fire.

I was in the physics camp too. I stumbled across a video explaining the physics which showed the energy required to generate the hydrogen was more than the energy you got from the hydrogen. I think mythbusters tv show did an episode on this too. I don't remember the results...
Ingersoll 4016
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

MattA wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:09 am I built a HHO generator 10+ years back using some stainless steel electrical box covers, some grommets for insulating and some screws to hold the stack of plates together. Probably spent $10 on the project. It made hydrogen bubbles which were fun to light on fire.

I was in the physics camp too. I stumbled across a video explaining the physics which showed the energy required to generate the hydrogen was more than the energy you got from the hydrogen. I think mythbusters tv show did an episode on this too. I don't remember the results...
We know gas and diesel enter the cylinder in mostly small droplets, much of it does not change to vapor for combustion. The theory for this working is that the HHO has a flame front that moves way faster than the gas flame front. This HHO flash flame front both heats and shocks the fuel droplets apart for a more complete burn. This more complete burn should give you more power and you should be able to back off on the throttle, and not be dumping as much fuel into the engine.

Hydrogen Garage was pushing a high frequency pulser for the DC into the HHO generator. The theory is that with the correct combination of frequencies they could get better HHO production with lower power requirements than simple brute force DC.

For those confused by the names used, HHO, Browns gas, and hydroxy are interchangable.

:cheers:
Gordy
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Gordy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:52 am
MattA wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:09 am I built a HHO generator 10+ years back using some stainless steel electrical box covers, some grommets for insulating and some screws to hold the stack of plates together. Probably spent $10 on the project. It made hydrogen bubbles which were fun to light on fire.

We know gas and diesel enter the cylinder in mostly small droplets, much of it does not change to vapor for combustion. The theory for this working is that the HHO has a flame front that moves way faster than the gas flame front. This HHO flash flame front both heats and shocks the fuel droplets apart for a more complete burn. This more complete burn should give you more power and you should be able to back off on the throttle, and not be dumping as much fuel into the engine.

Hydrogen Garage was pushing a high frequency pulser for the DC into the HHO generator. The theory is that with the correct combination of frequencies they could get better HHO production with lower power requirements than simple brute force DC.

For those confused by the names used, HHO, Browns gas, and hydroxy are interchangable.

Gordy
Should have added, That the HHO is not really an additional fuel, instead it is more like a catalyst to get a more efficient use of the fuel you are already using.

Gordy
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

The link below describes the differences in Hydrogen fuel cells and hydrogen internal combustion engines. The article is dated Jan 2022 making It appears that Cummins is working on both as a source for motive power.

https://www.cummins.com/news/2022/01/27 ... fuel-cells
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Gordy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:40 pm
Gordy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:52 am

Gordy
Should have added, That the HHO is not really an additional fuel, instead it is more like a catalyst to get a more efficient use of the fuel you are already using.

Gordy
Kind of like trucks that burn propane and diesel
Ingersoll 4016