Chainsaw milled posts

Shoot the breeze here.
Chad Canada

Re: Chainsaw milled posts

Post by Chad »

Yes, same for us. After a brutal past 2 years I only saw one or 2 live caterpillars this year thankfully. I'd heard they're on average a 10 year cycle?

They did get the top of the white pine out front, but it has since recovered. Not that it'll be used one day for any ship masts in the British navy or anything lol. I do love those trees though.

Why can't these invasive species prey on something nobody wants...like poison ivy?! They can have all of mine :)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Wouldn't that be nice... The moths could team up with the damn spotted lanternfly that is causing havoc here, and they could wipe out poison ivy once and for all, then promptly die off from starvation.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Toolslinger wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:37 am I never really gave the ash much thought until they all started to die. They're a surprisingly high percentage of the woods by me. Now when I drive through my logging roads, I've got areas that are wide open, and grass, and ferns have taken over. I'm going to have to mow the roads, because I can't see where it is in some areas. I don't want to spray since the plants help hold the dirt, but I can't figure out really how to mow it safely since the roads are real rough and rocky with a lot of erosion... If I keep a mower up to clear the rocks, all I'll get is a slightly lower mess where I still can't see where I'm driving. Perhaps drag some chain link , or just a bunch of chains through to just knock it all down...
Sounds like a job for a bigger tractor dragging an angle scraper blade, to push the rocks to the side a few times. Then you could mow/bush hog it.

It's amazing what low prices older bigger tractors have. There's a David Brown diesel not far from me, with loader, going for $1500.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Toolslinger »

Eugen wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:18 pm Sounds like a job for a bigger tractor dragging an angle scraper blade, to push the rocks to the side a few times. Then you could mow/bush hog it.

It's amazing what low prices older bigger tractors have. There's a David Brown diesel not far from me, with loader, going for $1500.
I've got the bigger (not massive, but plenty big for a back blade) tractor, and even have an angled back blade...

Where I am, if you managed to push the rocks to the side to find dirt, you'd end up in the far east someplace... I'm never really sure what it is that keeps the little bit of dirt we have in the woods from just falling down in to the bottomless abys of rocks... The fields aren't too bad, I mean people can farm here, but the woods are still woods because there wouldn't be any point in clearing them to try to make a field. The fields are clay and rock. Hard on the ag equipment, and murder if you are trying to set a post...
I'm not complaining... It's beautiful out there, but I'd hate to have to make a living farming it...
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

No problem, @Toolslinger, get this and don't look back
Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 15.06.38.png

And to keep to the topic, @Chad , did you film by any chance any of your milling with the Laser product?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Toolslinger wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:37 am With any luck the Gypsy Moth will catch some plague, or move on... They were real bad when I was a kid, and then just disappeared for a couple decades out in PA. I never really knew why, but yea, they can shred the trees. We've started seeing them again, which is just delightful...

I never really gave the ash much thought until they all started to die. They're a surprisingly high percentage of the woods by me. Now when I drive through my logging roads, I've got areas that are wide open, and grass, and ferns have taken over. I'm going to have to mow the roads, because I can't see where it is in some areas. I don't want to spray since the plants help hold the dirt, but I can't figure out really how to mow it safely since the roads are real rough and rocky with a lot of erosion... If I keep a mower up to clear the rocks, all I'll get is a slightly lower mess where I still can't see where I'm driving. Perhaps drag some chain link , or just a bunch of chains through to just knock it all down...
I was thinking about your logging roads. I imagine they are not wide enough to use a sickle mower with the cutting bar tilted up slightly to skip over the rocks. But what about a flail mower? It would probably be noisy and you might have to replace some knives from hitting rock but it might knock the grass down. I don’t know, it’s just a thought.
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

JSinMo that might be a good solution for Tools linger. Not sure how forgiving they are with rocks, but they can do damage to culverts. Hopefully not the new one we had put in!

@Eugen - unfortunately no video. I will for sure next time though!

Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Chad wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:01 pm Why can't these invasive species prey on something nobody wants...like poison ivy?! They can have all of mine :)

I'd like to see something that likes to eat buckthorn, pac man style.

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by Toolslinger »

Eugen wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:08 pm No problem, @Toolslinger, get this and don't look back

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 15.06.38.png

You might be on to something there... A couple 4' rollers, or cultipackers might do a reasonable job if I run them through weekly... After a while the greenery might decide it didn't like being crushed...
JSinMO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:56 pm I was thinking about your logging roads. I imagine they are not wide enough to use a sickle mower with the cutting bar tilted up slightly to skip over the rocks. But what about a flail mower? It would probably be noisy and you might have to replace some knives from hitting rock but it might knock the grass down. I don’t know, it’s just a thought.
Yea, sickle would be too wide unless it was front mounted. The flail is an option... I could give it a shot, but man, I'd hate to do that to the unit since I just finally got it in service... $250 flail, and $2500 in parts/repairs over 6 months... Cuts the grass and brush great, terrifying sounds when it catches a rock. I haven't tried it lifted much. The discussions I've read on flails seem to indicate they don't work terribly well high off the ground. That's the grass cutting style like I have, obviously the hammer style must work ok since they put them on boom units now.

And with that, I'm not going to drive this train any further off the tracks... Back to the ash cutting! I'll revisit this in its own post when I decide to try something. Thanks for the input, always good to have fresh eyes/brains on a problem.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Chad I see you didn't paint the ends of your milled wood. I noticed that on other people's milled planks. Is that so it doesn't crack while drying? Are you going to do it?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E