Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
Toolslinger United States of America

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by Toolslinger »

When I was a kid, I recall the knuckles always being loaded with the wrapped up grass. Eventually the whole shaft would be covered. While we never had an issue, it always bothered me. When I ran the brush hog again this spring for the first time in years, I had no issues for some reason. Perhaps the MF 135 rides a little higher than the 8n, or the PTO is at a different angle. Dunno. I also had to run without a shield this time, so perhaps it was throwing the grass more than wrapping?

Bought shields now. Haven't had to use it again. Might be years...

Certainly can't argue with the efficacity of your mesh shield. Planning on making it a permanent addition?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

The other day I had to replace the starter in the :wife: car . The last few mornings it would not start when cold out . Not the easiest to do , but definatly not the worst I have done . I had to take twice the stuff apart I would have normally would have to make it easier to do , but the half day was worth not having to pay someone else to do it in half the time . Just trying to earn my keep .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Toolslinger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 5:53 am When I was a kid, I recall the knuckles always being loaded with the wrapped up grass. Eventually the whole shaft would be covered. While we never had an issue, it always bothered me. When I ran the brush hog again this spring for the first time in years, I had no issues for some reason. Perhaps the MF 135 rides a little higher than the 8n, or the PTO is at a different angle. Dunno. I also had to run without a shield this time, so perhaps it was throwing the grass more than wrapping?

Bought shields now. Haven't had to use it again. Might be years...

Certainly can't argue with the efficacity of your mesh shield. Planning on making it a permanent addition?

I think you’re right. The N series tractors sit low to the ground, plus the PTO is at the bottom of the differential so you end up with a very low, flat shaft angle.
When I run PTO driven equipment on my taller tractors I don’t have this issue.

If I was going to leave the mower on there year round I would make some sort of permanent attachment. But I use that tractor for a lot of different things. Luckily it’s easy to to take the shield on and off so I’ll just throw it on when I mow.