Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by JSinMO »

Time to clip the big field. I’m going to put the 1941 M and that old mower that was on its way to scrap to work today.

I had broke the rod out on the outer side of the bar the other day. I quickly welded it back together and put it back on and hit the field.
IMG_5196.jpeg
I only made two or three passes before I was back at the shop. :cuss:

That rod really gets a lot of vibration and it broke again! I guess the consolation is my weld held, it broke in a new spot! I guess I’ll be out there with a metal detector to see if I can find it. :109: I’ll have to come up with a better way to make one. I also broke a rock guard but that’s kind of common and luckily I have some spares.
IMG_5198.jpeg
IMG_5197.jpeg
The grass is short so I can run without that rod for now. The reason I’m clipping the fields now is because the dry weather we had stunned the grass but not the weeds. I really don’t want to use chemicals if I don’t have to so I’m attempting to mow the weeds out hoping now that we have rain the grass can overtake them.

That was the end of the problems and the rest of the mowing went smoothly. Quite enjoyable time spent on the tractor listening to the sickle do its work.
IMG_5199.jpeg
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jeff is there any reason you can't use these ? They are flexible and high visible .
image.png
Snow plow blade markers. They are flexible and made to take a beating.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

They may work. They have to be rigid enough to move thick material to the back of the mower to leave bit of bare ground for the next pass. The rebar I used certainly won’t hold up. Other old sickle mowers use a steel rod but it better steel for sure. I also thought about making a triangular shaped one so it has 2 point of contact. I guess we’ll see what I can scrounge up!
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Two points would for sure be better. I've seen a number over time that used a loop rather than a triangle. Probably just due to it being easier (no welding) and not because it was less likely to impale anyone...

The sickle I sold a couple years ago had a board to do the same thing. No recollection how it was mounted though, or if it looked OEM.

Post by JSinMO »

Well it’s been a while. Let’s go up to the shop and see if we can accomplish something. Now that summer has gone the goal is to start putting things to bed before winter rolls around.

You might remember several months ago the seals let go on one of the bucket cylinders of the Case 830. I had rebuilt it and put it back on the tractor but never got to try it out. Let’s see if it works.
IMG_5305.jpeg
As a test I went to the sunflower patch I cleared this spring. There was one tree left the I hadn’t taken out. The Case had no problem taking it down but the trunk split before it popped out of the ground. I might have to bring the 648 up later and dig it out.
IMG_5307.jpeg
Looks like big brother is working fine. Bucket cylinders aren’t leaking. I did also replace one hose. The rest of them are on borrowed time, but right now there holding. I do still have a leak on one of the lift cylinders but it’s not bad enough to shut me down yet. The clock is ticking though! :109:
IMG_5306.jpeg
Well the first problem of the day reared its ugly head. I managed to knock the aftermarket tooth bar off the bucket.
It’s pretty heavy but I was able to get back on with out straining.
IMG_5308.jpeg
It’s a really nice add on to the bucket. It’s held on by two pinch bolts. I guess I really should make it more permanent. I just don’t really want to modify the bucket anymore than it already is. It works good you just have to be careful when back dragging or you’ll pull it off.

With that done son came and helped me get the hay wagon hitched to the Super H. It’s still loaded with first cut hay that I had intended to rebale. It’s been covered with a tarp all this time. Let open up the hay burrito and see what it looks like.
IMG_5309.jpeg
That’s what I thought I’d find. Hard to believe but, cheap tarps seem to give cheap results! :43: the weather got to it and the outer layer of hay is moldy. :cuss:
IMG_5310.jpeg
It would be a fool’s errand to try and pick through it at this point. Don’t get me wrong 3/4 of what goes on around here could easily be classified as foolish but this is a hay bale too far! :giggle: besides I haven’t been able to fix the baler yet anyway.
Between the bales that are still on the ground and whats on the wagon I lost quite a bit, but there’s no point in crying about it. I think we just need to get this mess cleaned up and move on! I already have a compost pile started I don’t really need to dump all this on it. But I do have a wash over by the creek I’d like to fill. So this won’t go to waste really. It will be used as the first step in slowing or hopefully stopping the wash out.

I went over and dumped the wagon then used the 830 to start scooping up the stuff on the ground and the wagon became my dump truck for the day.
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5312.jpeg
Son would normally be out on my four wheeler but he still has the cast on so he got to have some fun on the mule instead!
IMG_5313.jpeg
I hauled a few loads and decided that was enough for today. I don’t want to over do it. Hopefully I can continue cleaning up tomorrow. Thanks for coming along!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Good to see you getting around more .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder