How did you get interested in Case Tractors

Shoot the breeze here.
Harry United States of America

Re: How did you get interested in Case Tractors

Post by Harry »

Eugen wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:58 am After a couple of years of doing everything by hand at our little cottage, I finally convinced myself to get a mower tractor. There was an ad for an Allis Chalmers with deck and snow caster for 1700 and I told the guy I'm buying it but won't be able to come get it until the weekend, and he said that's fine. What do you know, next day the tractor was gone. Oh boy, was I upset for a few days. Maybe two weeks later a Case 220 package with attachments came up on the market and I went and got it from near Niagara Falls. That's how it started. Many Case tractors and attachments were chased and bought, because I liked them a lot and still do. I'm so glad that Allis Chalmers didn't come my way, I'd have most likely not find the Case garden tractors if that didn't happen.
Great story Eugen. I know you have bought and sold many GT’s. Which one is your favorite? :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

When I was a kid my friend had a 444. It was fast in high range and we would do backward burn-out's by going full speed forward and slamming into reverse (poor tractor). 15-20 years later, in the 90's I sold my house in town and bought in the country. Just over 1-1/2 acres. My same friend, at same time, inherited 35 acres complete with lawn equipment from his father-in-law. I was there when he found an Ariens RER was propped up against the wall. We pulled it down and it was seized. My friend said "do you want it", I said "sure". After bringing it home and contemplating a few days whether to fix or replace engine, I gave it another pull and it wasn't seized any more. 15 minutes later, I was cutting the lawn with it. It worked fine, but only had 30" cut. While at an auction I saw and bid on a JD one hundred something (110, 120, 130, don't know). It was 38" cut and had 4 gears and vari-drive. It was SLOWER than the RER. I determined it was the shifting forward to reverse that was the problem. Then, the same friend had an auction to sell off his unwanted in-laws stuff and I sold JD. I went to another auction and saw a 448; I remembered how you go from forward to reverse in an instant, so was determined to win bidding. I still have it, but cut the lawn with my Walker.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Harry wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:40 pm Which one is your favorite? :peace: Harry
Harry, my favourites are 444 and 644. I like the Kohler k321 engine, when in good shape it has plenty of power for my needs and it's easy and cheap to rebuild. :cheers:

Post by Harry »

Eugen wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:58 am After a couple of years of doing everything by hand at our little cottage, I finally convinced myself to get a mower tractor. There was an ad for an Allis Chalmers with deck and snow caster for 1700 and I told the guy I'm buying it but won't be able to come get it until the weekend, and he said that's fine. What do you know, next day the tractor was gone. Oh boy, was I upset for a few days. Maybe two weeks later a Case 220 package with attachments came up on the market and I went and got it from near Niagara Falls. That's how it started. Many Case tractors and attachments were chased and bought, because I liked them a lot and still do. I'm so glad that Allis Chalmers didn't come my way, I'd have most likely not find the Case garden tractors if that didn't happen.
Eugen, I know you have bought and sold a lot of Case GT’s. Is there one that was special to you? :peace: Harry
mendonsy United States of America

Post by mendonsy »

Harry wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:38 pm
mendonsy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:13 pm One of the first jobs I had when I got out of high school (early 60's) was selling lawn & garden equipment for Sears so I was exposed to the Colt tractors as a competitor early on. My father and older brother had Case farm tractors so I also had experience with them. When we built our current home I needed a lawn tractor so I bought my 446 new in 1978. It is still going today with minimal repairs.
:446cart:
Mendonsy, many Case GT owners have expanded their collections. Have you also contacted the Case fever? :peace: Harry
No ... that is one of the few thing I have managed to avoid. I still check all the for sale ads for Case but don't ever go beyond that.
:violin:

Post by Harry »

FUTZ wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:38 pm When I was a kid my friend had a 444. It was fast in high range and we would do backward burn-out's by going full speed forward and slamming into reverse (poor tractor). 15-20 years later, in the 90's I sold my house in town and bought in the country. Just over 1-1/2 acres. My same friend, at same time, inherited 35 acres complete with lawn equipment from his father-in-law. I was there when he found an Ariens RER was propped up against the wall. We pulled it down and it was seized. My friend said "do you want it", I said "sure". After bringing it home and contemplating a few days whether to fix or replace engine, I gave it another pull and it wasn't seized any more. 15 minutes later, I was cutting the lawn with it. It worked fine, but only had 30" cut. While at an auction I saw and bid on a JD one hundred something (110, 120, 130, don't know). It was 38" cut and had 4 gears and vari-drive. It was SLOWER than the RER. I determined it was the shifting forward to reverse that was the problem. Then, the same friend had an auction to sell off his unwanted in-laws stuff and I sold JD. I went to another auction and saw a 448; I remembered how you go from forward to reverse in an instant, so was determined to win bidding. I still have it, but cut the lawn with my Walker.
Futz, interesting story. You’ve almost tried them all. Thanks for posting your story. :peace: Harry
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

My interest began when I was around 4 or so - Dad's 155 with a custom loader was parked in a corner collecting dust and I remember sitting on it pretending to drive. I liked that it seemed kid size compared to the big machines around my uncle's and grandfather's place. I don't know why it was parked not running for so long but when I was 12 or so I said "dad l it's time to get it going!" Inspiration came from seeing another old case in my uncle's barn, I didn't know it at the time but I now know it was a T-90. Not sure where it is now.

So we got it running finally after a rebuild - dad took the block to work and had it bored and put in a sleeve (was bored .30 over at the time). I distinctly remember how frustrating it was trying to get it going after all of the work we had put in - turn out 2 wires were switched (manual diagram error!) Once it was running was always driving around, mowing and loader work. A few years later my parents split and it ended up at my grandfather's place for 20+ years, outdoors under a tarp and tree. 3 years ago my grandfather passed (he was the reason we got the machine as he convinced his then young son-in-law aka my dad to buy it) and I rescued the tractor, loader and mower. All are in my garage awaiting a refresh and possible restoration.

When we moved to our current property I was using a clapped out John Deere 68 mower, and when it finally died I saw an ad for a 444 with mower and blade. I remembered the fun with our 155 and I made a deal with the gentleman who took my 68 on trade with some cash. It's been my main machine since, and I've picked up some more attachments (another dozer blade, dump cart) and another 444 and 155.

My little guy (3 yrs) is obsessed with tractors and construction equipment and I look forward to seeing him and his older sisters driving our Case fleet as they grow. Of course they all need work but that will be the fun part :)

P.S. really enjoying this thread!

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

This tin tacker came in the mail today - I know in my "case" and for many others it holds very true!Image

FreddyFont Canada

Post by FreddyFont »

A few years ago, we sold our house in the suburbs of Ottawa to purchase a hobby farm. The property needed some work but we bought it for the potential, I knew nothing about tractors and needed something to clear some of the fields and it needed to have a loader strong enough to lift 8 feet latge square hay bales. I ended up buying a Kubota L2501, which was the most affordable tractor I could get with about half a dozen implements to get me started.

As the projects were getting done, I was looking for a smaller tractor to go between paddocks and around the property. I stumbled on a 446 ad on Kijiji not too far from me. I had never heard of or seen such a cool looking tractor!! I was intrigued by the big wheels. It was posted here as well a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=454

I started to research and watched pretty much all the case or ingersoll related videos on youtube and thought these were the greatest small tractor ever! By the time I reached out to the owner, this one was sold. I ended up buying a 4016 about a year later.

Post by Harry »

Chad wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:30 pm My interest began when I was around 4 or so - Dad's 155 with a custom loader was parked in a corner collecting dust and I remember sitting on it pretending to drive. I liked that it seemed kid size compared to the big machines around my uncle's and grandfather's place. I don't know why it was parked not running for so long but when I was 12 or so I said "dad l it's time to get it going!" Inspiration came from seeing another old case in my uncle's barn, I didn't know it at the time but I now know it was a T-90. Not sure where it is now.

So we got it running finally after a rebuild - dad took the block to work and had it bored and put in a sleeve (was bored .30 over at the time). I distinctly remember how frustrating it was trying to get it going after all of the work we had put in - turn out 2 wires were switched (manual diagram error!) Once it was running was always driving around, mowing and loader work. A few years later my parents split and it ended up at my grandfather's place for 20+ years, outdoors under a tarp and tree. 3 years ago my grandfather passed (he was the reason we got the machine as he convinced his then young son-in-law aka my dad to buy it) and I rescued the tractor, loader and mower. All are in my garage awaiting a refresh and possible restoration.

When we moved to our current property I was using a clapped out John Deere 68 mower, and when it finally died I saw an ad for a 444 with mower and blade. I remembered the fun with our 155 and I made a deal with the gentleman who took my 68 on trade with some cash. It's been my main machine since, and I've picked up some more attachments (another dozer blade, dump cart) and another 444 and 155.

My little guy (3 yrs) is obsessed with tractors and construction equipment and I look forward to seeing him and his older sisters driving our Case fleet as they grow. Of course they all need work but that will be the fun part :)

P.S. really enjoying this thread!

I very much enjoyed your story Chad. Sounds like you have some wrenching to do to get your fleet up and running. Keep us posted and your next project. :peace: Harry