Todays canning

Share your creations, hunger, and more.
DavidBarkey Canada

Todays canning

Post by DavidBarkey »

Unstuffed cabbage rolls . All the stuff you would put in cabbage rolls except the rice and is all chopped up , put in jars and canned .
When ready to eat just make up you rice , plate it , heat it up and pore over the rice and serve . Tastes the same as cabbage rolls but take about 15 min. to heat and serve .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: Todays canning

Post by Eugen »

Great idea! Do you use sourkraut?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:21 pm Great idea! Do you use sourkraut?
Yes I do , I love it . the rest not so much . I have to make another jar soon . Since I am the only one here that eats it , I just make a jar at a time .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:17 pm Unstuffed cabbage rolls . All the stuff you would put in cabbage rolls except the rice and is all chopped up , put in jars and canned .
When ready to eat just make up you rice , plate it , heat it up and pore over the rice and serve . Tastes the same as cabbage rolls but take about 15 min. to heat and serve .
I saw where Eugen has never tried fried okra, and I thought, "How can that be possible? Fried okra is everywhere around here."

But now I see that you're referring to cabbage rolls, and I've never even SEEN a cabbage roll. Funny how things are!

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Yummy. Golabki. I had some at a family gathering a few weeks ago. Stuffed myself full of them. One of my favorites.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

thebuildist wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:07 pm I saw where Eugen has never tried fried okra, and I thought, "How can that be possible? Fried okra is everywhere around here."

But now I see that you're referring to cabbage rolls, and I've never even SEEN a cabbage roll. Funny how things are!

Bob
But it'll be easy for me to try okra, I've seen it in some grocery stores in Toronto. You won't find cabbage rolls that easy.

Let's see, don't you guys use summer savoury in anything?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Cabbage rolls are big in the Polish, Ukrainian , and German communities . I come from German Mennonites on dad side , so it is a taste from my youth I still love . I have always had an oversion to spicy foods . Like lots of flavour but little heat so never tried okra .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by thebuildist »

I hear the word "savoury" a lot, but beyond a sense of "wholesome" and "yummy" I'm not really sure what it means. Like gravy is savoury but chocolate isn't.

But I've never even heard of "Summer savoury". What does that mean?

Bob
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

hehe, see what I mean?

We use summer savoury in ground meat for cabbage rolls, and for roasts, and other recipes. The jar you buy in store is flavourless so we grow our own in the garden, dry the stems and leaves and have it all year. The initial seeds I got from my sister who got from elsewhere. Similar to sage but more potent and distinct flavour.

How could one of the best flavouring herbs from Europe never make it to America? :O

Here's the text from wikipedia
Summer savory (Satureja hortensis) is among the best known of the savory genus. It is an annual, but otherwise is similar in use and flavor to the perennial winter savory. It is used more often than winter savory, which has a slightly more bitter flavor.

This herb has lilac tubular flowers which bloom in the northern hemisphere from July to September. It grows to around 30 to 60 cm (1 to 2 ft) in height and has very slender, bronze-green leaves.

Summer savory is a traditional popular herb in Atlantic Canada, where it is used in the same way sage is elsewhere. It is the main flavoring in dressing for many fowl, mixed with ground pork and other basic ingredients to create a thick meat dressing known as cretonnade (cretonade) which may be eaten with turkey, goose and duck. It also is used to make stews such as fricot, and in meat pies. It is usually available year-round in local grocery stores in dried form and is used in varying proportions, sometimes added to recipes in large generous heaping spoonfuls (such as in cretonnade), and sometimes more subtly (as in beans, for which savory has a natural affinity).

Summer savory is a characteristic ingredient of herbes de Provence. It is also widely used as a seasoning for grilled meats and barbecues, as well as in stews and sauces.

Summer savory is preferred over winter savory for use in sausages because of its sweeter, more delicate aroma. It plays an important role in Bulgarian cuisine, providing a strong flavor to a variety of dishes. Instead of salt and pepper, a Bulgarian table will have three condiments: salt, red sweet pepper, and summer savory. When these are mixed it is called sharena sol (шарена сол 'speckled salt').

Summer savory, known as cimbru, is used in Romanian cuisine, especially in sarmale (stuffed cabbage or grape leaf rolls) and in mititei (grilled ground meat rolls).

The plant is called Bohnenkraut in German, bonenkruid in Dutch, sarriette in French, santoreggia in Italian, segurelha in Portuguese, ajedrea in Spanish, θρούμπι (throúbi) in Greek, cząber in Polish, чубрица (chubritsa) in Bulgarian, cimbru in Romanian, borsikafű in Hungarian, чубар (čubar) in Serbian, чабер (chaber) in Ukrainian, and жамбил (jambil) in Uzbek.

Summer savory is raised from seed grown in a rich, light soil. The seeds are very slow in germinating.

The early spring seedlings are often topped for fresh use in June. When the plants are in flower, they may be pulled up and dried for winter use.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by thebuildist »

Well golly! I thought I was smart and well informed. And me and my wife both are from German backgrounds. But neither one of us had ever even heard the term summer savory. And I certainly didn't realize you were talking about a plant.

Like Wikipedia says it's apparently most well known in the Atlantic Canadian region. It does blow my mind that it could be so popular and well known up there, and me having never even heard of it. I mean it would be a drive from my house to yours, but it's not like we're on the other side of the globe. It's not like we don't speak the same language and have a whole lot of shared culture! Especially with our German backgrounds.

Life is crazy sometimes.