Stinging nettle soup

Share your creations, hunger, and more.
Eugen Canada

Stinging nettle soup

Post by Eugen »

I will post the recipe too. For now, it just made it to the pot!

6C398353-EC5E-484C-9A18-1B1A0029CCEC.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Re: Stinging nettle soup

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

I'd have never thought that there was any good use for stinging nettle, we always have a bumper crop of it and considered it something to avoid. I did one time (unintentionally) run across an Internet video of some guy who made a paste of it to put on his member..... no thanks!
Please update us on the progress of the soup.

Bob
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Bob, consider yourself lucky. I've been trying for about 3-4 years to establish a patch here, this is the first year there's enough to cook something with it. It's a traditional food in early spring all over Europe, since ancient times. It's a different and subtle taste.

My wife just made a smoothie with some nettle too. Now that's not traditional!

D703C233-99B9-445D-965C-F6CFB5275B10.jpeg

576B6A4A-3A14-4D45-A589-D7EB6A1EF8E6.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Eugen wrote:Bob, consider yourself lucky. I've been trying for about 3-4 years to establish a patch here, this is the first year there's enough to cook something with it. It's a traditional food in early spring all over Europe, since ancient times. It's a different and subtle taste.

My wife just made a smoothie with some nettle too. Now that's not traditional!

D703C233-99B9-445D-965C-F6CFB5275B10.jpeg

576B6A4A-3A14-4D45-A589-D7EB6A1EF8E6.jpeg
Wow that's interesting Eugen. I remember getting into a patch as a kid and I've avoided it ever since!

I just sold my place in Crow Head, NL. There are acres of it growing behind the cottage on the hiking trails. Not sure if the Newfies do anything with it - you're the first person I've seen to do so!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:05 pm I'd have never thought that there was any good use for stinging nettle, we always have a bumper crop of it and considered it something to avoid. I did one time (unintentionally) run across an Internet video of some guy who made a paste of it to put on his member..... no thanks!
Please update us on the progress of the soup.

Bob
:rofl: :rofl: ohh I don't think so. :35:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Came out good and we ate it for supper, but I made a little mistake and the taste of nettle was not very strong. Next time I won't use the egg at the end and no carrot. Found this recipe on the web, here's the translation from Google.
Ingredient:

a few piles of nettles,
1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice (optional),
200 g of smoked ham (ham, sausages, meat),
2 tablespoons of oil,
1 carrot,
1 parsley or a piece of celery root,
1 bunch of green onions ,
1 bunch green garlic,
250 ml yogurt or cream,
2 eggs,
salt and pepper as desired,

Method of preparation:

Freshly picked nettles are picked and washed in several waters to remove sand and other impurities from the leaves. The nettles are then scalded in salted water, to which a teaspoon or two of lemon juice has been added. After a few minutes, the nettles are strained and the water in which they were boiled is kept for the soup. Drained nettles are finely chopped and set aside.

Carrot and parsley / celery are put on a fine grater and the onion and green garlic are finely chopped. The sausage is peeled and cut into thin slices, which in turn can be shredded if desired. If you use ham, cut it into cubes.

In the pot where the soup is made, add the oil and then fry the grated carrot. When it changes color slightly, add the parsley, then the onions, half the garlic, the celery and the sausages or the finely chopped sausage.

Leave it on the fire for a few minutes, then quench it with nettle juice and water if needed.

Continue to boil for about 10-15 minutes, then add the chopped nettles and remaining garlic. Match salt and pepper as desired.

In a small bowl, rub the egg yolks with the yoghurt or cream. The egg whites are lightly poured into the soup, taking care not to scatter.

After turning off the heat, pour the egg with the yoghurt into the soup, stirring constantly.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

God I hate Nettles... It's right up there with poison ivy in my book.

Just out of curiosity, how do you go about harvesting it?
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Toolslinger wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:29 pm God I hate Nettles... It's right up there with poison ivy in my book.

Just out of curiosity, how do you go about harvesting it?
I hate the stinging action too, for sure! I just used gardening gloves. You do have to wear long sleeves so it doesn't touch your forearms. I would use rubber gloves to wash them but my wife didn't, she's :wife: tough. :rofl: Because I didn't harvest them a couple of weeks ago when I was supposed to, they grew quite a bit so she had to put some work into getting only the leaves of the stem. Again, she bare handed :109:. I also wore long pants and boots :D I think it's worth the complication, as it tastes like no other food, and in a pleasant healthy type of way. I suppose it's not for everyone, for sure, but I like the idea of using something off the land that signals the arrival of Spring. Once a year it's not too much for a unique meal.

Doesn't look like much though! :cheers:

BA3B69A5-EEE5-49C5-816B-FDE05514D4DB.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E