Page 1 of 1

Breakfast. Dec24/2023.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:30 am
by propane1
A yummie breakfast this morning. What do you fellas make for breakfast ?

Noel.

Re: Breakfast. Dec24/2023.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:30 am
by Timj
Have to go on a service call this morning, so just a bowl of cereal this morning.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:59 am
by Eugen
I had just a couple of bread slices with a little vegetable butter next to a black coffee. But it'll be different tomorrow which is a feast day for our family, being Christmas day.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:12 am
by Harry
All I had was a couple pieces of toast. Noel yours looks terrific.
:peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:03 pm
by ras101
Harry, only the Brits know what a true breakfast is!!! A full english, as it's called consists of:

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:19 pm
by ras101
Can you imagine the horror the first time I visited the States and wanted breakfast after the "full English" was the norm for me when traveling? Having to ask for cooked eggs (over medium as over easy was under cooked) selecting bacon (to me we called American bacon "streaky" for a reason) or sausage and not both! and what about the other things? tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding, baked beans, etc. Breakfast is the main meal of the day and needs to be enjoyed.

Guys, Happy holidays to all, or my greeting would be Merry Christmas and a happy, and prosperous New Year...

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:25 pm
by Harry
ras101 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:03 pm Harry, only the Brits know what a true breakfast is!!! A full english, as it's called consists of:
That’s what I’m talking about Ray. I’m all in for the Full English breakfast. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:40 pm
by Eugen
I am all for it Ray, with only one minor modification. With respect I say, in my opinion the Brits have not the best sausages. If you ever taste fried eastern European garlic sausages you may leave America and buy land next to me. :giggle:

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:41 pm
by RoamingGnome
Mmmm... Home made Eastern European Sausage... My favourite is Hungarian Rice Sausage - (Májas Hurka) My Dad used to help at the Church when the older ladies would get together and make sausages for big church gatherings... If we were lucky there would be extra that they would sell for fund raising...
IMG_3951-hurka-Edited.jpg

@Eugen it's interesting all the different ways something simple like cabbage rolls can be prepared, my Dad would make them like yours, boiled in a large pot with tomato juice, :wife: makes them the way her mother did (her mother is english) and insists the best way is mostly ground beef with a little added pork, then baked in a pan covered in tomato soup for the sauce... either way they are a nice warm comfort food :thumbsup:

- I should add that I didn't know until recently when I was googling "Hungarian rice sausage" that I found out it's made with organ meat :letmesee: I'm sure it was never discussed when I was younger because I wasn't a fan of eating organ meat on it's own... mixed up in sausages I was none the wiser - Who knows, maybe someday I'll even try some Haggis :))

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:59 pm
by Eugen
Gerry, there's a small shop on Norfinch called European sausage house, where we get all the goodies for tomorrow's feast: headcheese, various sausages, leberwurst, etc. We think it's the best in the whole area. When you go inside you hear speaking Hungarian, Romanian, and English. Hungarian sausages are well known for being really tasty! We rarely eat that, but we like them a lot.

As for cabbage rolls, there are many recipes, and each family has their take on them. Old world food good for the cold weather.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:06 pm
by RoamingGnome
Thanks @Eugen I'll have to check them out next time I'm going through Toronto... :cheers:

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:18 pm
by DavidBarkey
We make canned cabbage roll soup . Same flavour in a jar of soup that can be eaten as is or served over bed if rice . Comfort food .

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:19 pm
by ras101
You know something guys! I have learnt lot over my 75, almost 76 years on this planet... we are all different in what we remember or believe. For me , living in England post war 1940's it is totally different form say post war Canada, etc. Even food, and yes life itself was far different in Canada or the US especially at that time. Yeah you guys I guess speak English somewhat and we can argue about that :) but you guys really have no idea what it was like in post WW!! Europe and never will.

Even tryin to food in post war England (I was born in 1948) was difficult, to get food such as oranges, etc was near impossible too. How do I know? well in 1952 I almost died!! I had a major throat infection and was hospitalized for several weeks with zero chances of recovery. My saving factor was ORANGES, yeah the fruit. The whole country made sure I have my "medication" I survived!

When I talk about food, entitlements, etc.. really mend hope you guys are on board to save another life. Not the typical American as I have been ther and done that too.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:35 pm
by propane1
Eugen, head cheese is called potted meat here.

Noel

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:24 pm
by JSinMO
You guys are bringing back a lot of memories for me! While @ras101 english breakfast does look tasty, I would give anything to go back in time to my parents table for breakfast! Mom would make a great meal. She would make cow brain with scrambled eggs and bacon, or liver sausage, and of course pork sausage. And we were the same as @RoamingGnome dad would always get sausage from the church fundraiser to add to what we made ourselves when we butchered. There is a place not too far from me that has some of the best sausage I’ve had on a long time. I’m going to have to go by there and stock up!

To answer @propane1 original question here lately we’ve been making homemade McMuffins quite a lot. Sausage patties, eggs and cheese on a toasted English muffin.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:48 am
by Eugen
To make up for yesterday :wave3:

IMG_1592.jpeg

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:32 am
by propane1
:wife: and I went out for breakfast this morning at a local spot located in the airport. Some tasty. $12.49. Not to bad in todays world of prices.

Noel

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:39 pm
by DavidBarkey
Hard to beat that $$ when someone elese is doing the dishes . That is of course you remebered to bring your wallet . :rofl: