Page 1 of 1

Summertime favorite garden dish.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:09 am
by JSinMO
With the garden producing some nice cucumbers we decided to make a summer time favorite.
Cucumbers and onions in vinegar.
IMG_9928.jpeg

I know it’s a common dish everybody makes but seeing the smiles on the family’s faces as they were having a bowl sure felt good!

Re: Summertime favorite garden dish.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:16 am
by Eugen
:thumbsup: Jeff, we here know that simple dishes taste great with veggies from the garden. Can't wait for our cucumbers to grow! This is ours. :D
7B20CC33-2E61-44F6-B462-4F4A5727F264.jpeg

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:20 am
by RoamingGnome
:wife: says the only thing missing is sliced wee tomatoes... your photo brought back lots of childhood summertime memories for her :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:33 pm
by propane1
Never had it with onions in it. Woo hoo, some thing for me to try soon.
I like cabbage cut up, in a bowl of water. And as you take out the pieces of cabbage, you whack a little salt on them.
Tasty.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:41 pm
by Spike188
20230710_183128.jpg
Last 2 quart of Last years canned tomatoes being cooked down for pizza sauce. But M ran me out of the kitchen while she makes a custard for raspberries picked from our garden today.
20230710_183913.jpg
Outside is not a bad place to cook down sauce.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:21 pm
by Eugen
Eugene, that's a big raspberry bush. We planted a small bush last year and so far it's doing well, but of course no berries yet. So you make pizza? That's something we've been thinking about but have not acted on it yet.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:11 am
by Spike188
@Eugen I pressure can about 30 quarts of whole skinned tomatoes each summer. It is less time consuming than making large volumes of paste or sauce during canning season. When making one large pizza, step 1 is opening a quart of tomatoes and mashing them, adding garlic, onion, basil, oregano, and fennel. One quart cooks down to about 1 pint. Step 2 is mixing the the dough, mixing and rise time takes about an hour. There is enough time left during the dough proofing (using regular yeast) for cutting vegetables, grating cheese, and prepping meat for toppings. By the time the pizza sauce is cooked down and ready, the dough will be ready for rolling out.

M just bought a ceramic pizza stone at a thrift store for $10.00. Bread just finished baking so the oven temp was boosted to 500F and the stone was preheated . The pizza was transferred onto parchment paper and placed on the preheated stone. Cook time was 12 minutes. We usually figure 1-1/2 hours from start of prep to end of bake.

The canning list this summer includes 20 quart of whole stewed tomatoes, 20 quarts of tomato juice, beets, peaches, and wild grape juice and jelly. I have reduced salt intake dramatically as a way to reduce blood pressure. Home canning with out salt or other spices makes it easy to tailor flavours at meal prep time. We often flip between Tex-mex, Thai, and stir fries.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:48 am
by Eugen
@Spike188 thanks! You've actually answered another question I had too, about the ingredients in the sauce. Do you use just regular flour for the pizza? We looked around for pizza flour but it's not easy to find and really expensive.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:39 am
by JSinMO
@Spike188 my mouth is watering! I’d like to order two large pizzas with everything on them. What’s the delivery charge to Missouri? :giggle:

Sometimes we get the old chef Boyardee pizza dough in a box and make one at home but it’s sure not nearly as good as what you’re cooking! :worship:

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:42 am
by Spike188
20230711_092612.jpg
@Eugen The recipe on the right is my favorite dough, using all purpose flour. Typically for the 2 of us, 1/2 of the dough gets frozen for later use. The sauce and topping part is a guidline only. As far as spices go, adding a bit of fennel and adjusting the amounts ratios is different every time I bake.

I will sometime make a jar of premixed spices for pizza sause that is convenient for eliminating measuring individual ingredients.

I went for 12 minutes at 500f on the stone last night. Was very happy with the results but will try 450f and 15 minutes next time.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:39 pm
by Chad
Spike188 wrote:
20230711_092612.jpg
[mention]Eugen[/mention] The recipe on the right is my favorite dough, using all purpose flour. Typically for the 2 of us, 1/2 of the dough gets frozen for later use. The sauce and topping part is a guidline only. As far as spices go, adding a bit of fennel and adjusting the amounts ratios is different every time I bake.

I will sometime make a jar of premixed spices for pizza sause that is convenient for eliminating measuring individual ingredients.

I went for 12 minutes at 500f on the stone last night. Was very happy with the results but will try 450f and 15 minutes next time.
Definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:19 am
by propane1
My summer time favourite dish. :drool:

Noel :D

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:28 pm
by Harry
It looks terrific :) :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:53 pm
by propane1
Another favourite summertime dish.

Noel :D

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:20 pm
by propane1
Hehe and another summertime dish.

Noel

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:22 pm
by Spike188
20230710_183913.jpg
There is a raspberry thicket near our garden that may be a cross of wild and domestic. The berries are about half the size of commercial.
20230718_201028.jpg
This afternoon they were at their prime. About a quart were picked this evening.
20230718_215706.jpg
Some of them found a resting place on a layer of a blend of whipped cream/cream cheese/almond liquor with a press in place chocolate/pecan base.

The raspberries will not keep very long. I would post more but my bowl needs refilling.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:07 am
by Eugen
@Spike188 :O

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:50 am
by propane1
Another week or so for the raspberries here. I don’t think there will be much this year. All new shoots coming up.
Those look great and tasty, I bet Spike.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:08 pm
by Harry
Spike the dessert looks amazing. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:21 pm
by Harry
Once in awhile I make up a big pot of sausage stew. I’m more a hunting camp cook more than anything :78: Today was the day and put some away in the freezer for dinners for myself. The wife doesn’t eat sausage so more for me. Today it was more of what I had around to put in the pot. Chorizo sausage, chicken, ham, shrimp, celery, carrots, onions, garlic and four kinds of beans. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:17 pm
by RoamingGnome
Mmmm... Gotta love tomatoes fresh out of the garden (even if it's someone else's garden - thanks @DavidBarkey )
PXL_20230822_170949579~2.jpg
A nice baloney, cheese and tomato sandwich on a fresh cheese bagel - perfect lunch break :)

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:25 pm
by DavidBarkey
RoamingGnome wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:17 pm Mmmm... Gotta love tomatoes fresh out of the garden (even if it's someone else's garden - thanks @DavidBarkey )

A nice baloney, cheese and tomato sandwich on a fresh cheese bagel - perfect lunch break :)
Pleasure was all mine . Hopefully next time , my :wife: will be home .

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:10 pm
by propane1
RoamingGnome wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:17 pm Mmmm... Gotta love tomatoes fresh out of the garden (even if it's someone else's garden - thanks @DavidBarkey )

That looks some tasty. All my favourites.

Noel

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:19 pm
by JSinMO
The two rounds of heat we had really was hard on the vines but nothing like cantaloupe and watermelon from the garden!
IMG_3999.jpeg

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:22 pm
by Eugen
That must be tasty! Hope to try that one day. Not gonna happen here though, not enough heat I think.