3/4 in breaker bar

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: 3/4 in breaker bar

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:15 pm Ok. More rambling. Don’t forget Eugen that you need two hammers. Gives a better shock.

And what about an air chisel with a blunt end. And lightly rattle the end with the two pin holes. Just a bit before trying to loosen, and maybe a bit while loosening.
Need two people to do that thou.

Just more rambling. See how it goes.

Noel
@Eugen
I have a long barrel air hammer chisel with a hammer bit if need to shock the end cap.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:23 pm @Eugen that’s sounds like a good plan. Couple of things came to mind. Maybe start soaking the gland threads in penetrating oil or ATF now would help it break loose when your ready to try it. Also I was thinking maybe having the wrench on the glad with a light strain on it while your heating and tapping may help it break loose.
You got it.
That is exactly why it is best to have 2 guys . For a job like this . Unless of course you a octopus.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:23 pm @Eugen that’s sounds like a good plan. Couple of things came to mind. Maybe start soaking the gland threads in penetrating oil or ATF now would help it break loose when your ready to try it. Also I was thinking maybe having the wrench on the glad with a light strain on it while your heating and tapping may help it break loose.
Jeff, I was talking to Dave yesterday and we were thinking this is a good idea to do, indeed!

@Propane57 I have a pneumatic chisel but it's very small. Dave suggested I tap/hit the gland from the top with a brass something so it doesn't cause dents. I got a one pound copper hammer that can be used for this. Just in case other people have to deal with such things and get to read this long thread, Dave had a really good point about covering the chrome part of the rod with a plastic pipe section so as to not hit it by mistake and damage it.

I received the replacement head of the 3/4 drive breaker bar. Seems solid enough in size, we'll see how it holds to some abuse. :D

Oh, here's a bit of a ramble somewhat related. The store that had this replacement head for $14 on clearance (from $36) is an hour away and had this item only available to order on line. I figured since I pay shipping for this, why not look to add some more items to the order, and was browsing the clearance items. They had a whole bunch of 3/4 drive large sockets (dewalt) on prices between $1.50 and $4.00. I mean, a 2" socket for $4.00 !!! But many of them sizes I wouldn't need exactly now, still why not get them for such a low price, as you never know what the future holds and tools are good to have. However, all the large cylinders of this backhoe have a 1-1/4 -12 hexagonal cap screw on the rod end. After some searches it turns out that you need the 1-7/8 socket to undo it. There are stories over on heavyequipmentforums about this particular bolt being tough to undo with unless you have a 1" drive impact gun. Anyway, I added two 1-7/8 sockets to the order at $2 each, figuring I might damage one when trying to undo the big bolts, and at this price, why not get two. A long story for a very short punch line. All the other sockets and the replacement head came; the 1-7/8 sockets were taken out of the order because by the time the order went through inventory was zero. How is that for funny, exactly the item you really want is taken out of the order and the stuff that you added as more optional all make it. :headbash: :rofl: oh well, not a tragedy. They also had the 1-7/8 socket in 1" drive at $2 so I'm thinking of getting that. For comparison, the cheapest such socket I could find anywhere is $19.

I am now set for working on some really really big bolts. :violin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Wouldn't you know, they're out of the 1" drive 1-7/8 sockets too :cuss:

OK, FINE, I will buy the $19 socket and feel like a billionaire for a second, and not the cheapskate I am. :$$:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

The right tool finally arrived. A step closer to using the 3/4 bar.

607C47D5-C17E-473A-8792-61BC54ADC1CB.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E