Well that’s not good

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
JSinMO United States of America

Well that’s not good

Post by JSinMO »

Went into the shop to get a wrench and found these parts laying all around the shop floor.
A54EE17D-CD94-4952-B61A-86869277FE9E.jpeg
33BD84AC-0566-414A-A2C1-C2A639C1F7DB.jpeg
489DE98F-8A77-4EE8-8815-7059D19E646E.jpeg
What in the world happened here? Once I put all the pieces together it became evident. It’s the pressure adjustment from the regulator on my air compressor!
09A5A4A9-A626-4EA8-8FF1-DA1E3A8B84FA.jpeg
Never had that happen before. I always turn off the compressor when I’m done in the shop, but it’s still under spring pressure. I’m blaming this one on cheap plastic.
Glad no one was in there when it broke. I guess I’m in the market for a new regulator
Last edited by JSinMO on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Re: Well that’s not good

Post by Eugen »

Never seen that before. Good thing the tank wasn't pressurized and nobody around!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Ya cheap plastic, have had that happen with a cheap compressor . I always shut my shop compressor down now , and drain the little ones . Seen too many failures with hoses , couplers and regulators . And if now one is around to shut them off they run untill they melt down
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I despise cheap pneumatic components... That's not to say I don't have some.
With the exception of 2 low end oil-free units, all the other compressors have industrial aluminum body regulators, and the pressure switches have all been switched to good quality as well.

Now that I say that, I'm thinking I have a few too many compressor systems... Guess I will have to thin that herd too...

Air tools were such a massive part of life for so long that I grew to hate plastic components, hard vinyl hoses, cheap quick connects, and import pressure switches... That constant hiss of leaks, and then fighting hoses, and breaking switches drove me right up the damn wall... (as I sit here at work listening to a hiss in the air piping over my office, sadly the facilities guy here isn't bothered by that, or any other need for maintenance...)
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I had a oiless Sears upright 60 gallon compressor in my shop. One day I used the air and went out side then came back in to grab a tool. As I turned the corner I heard a loud bang. Then I turned back around and the compressor blew up. After cleaning up the broken plastic and aluminum pieces laying all over the floor, it appeared the piston froze in the cylinder and the shaft on the motor sheared. Someone was looking out for me that day. I could have been seriously injured with flying pieces.
Now I have an industrial Ingersoll air compressor that should last me the rest of my life.

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Just a little tip on air compressors left turned on: apparently it's a known source of fires. The deal is that whatever failure event happens to the compressor (like the regulator assembly popping out and shooting across the room) and then the compressor motor turns on to try to build tank pressure back up. And it runs forever until the friction in the cylinder melts down the cylinder walls, and whatever is nearby catches on fire.

I heard about it on AVE's youtube channel, and a friend of mine had an oilless compressor try to do it. His had the tank drain left open and was smoking hot by the time he found it. He thought it had been running for no more than two hours, but the piston and cylinder were completely shot. If he had waited until overnight it might have turned out differently.

When I heard that, I built a relay for my compressor that's triggered by my shop lights, so that the compressor only gets power while the shop lights are turned on. For me it's especially relevant, since my house is on top of my shop. :-)

Just FYI

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"

Post by JSinMO »

06C7D094-16B9-4688-94D9-8504A076846F.jpeg
Harbor Freight to the rescue. I don’t think you guys up north have them. There a “discount” tool store. Also known as Hobo Freight or Horror Fright. Actually for light or medium duty there tools and equipment aren’t bad, and the prices are low enough to give it a shot. Got the new regulator on and working. The last one came from Lowes with the compressor and lasted almost 10 years. We’ll see how long this one survives!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Most likely this will last, I think. Good thing you could get a part that fits so quickly. Here in the rural area where I live amazon is the easiest and fastest choice for this type of part. We have a similar store to your HF called Princess auto, much smaller and fewer options but decent. Unfortunately it's an hour away from me, and their shipping isn't very fast. :33:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:26 pm Most likely this will last, I think. Good thing you could get a part that fits so quickly. Here in the rural area where I live amazon is the easiest and fastest choice for this type of part. We have a similar store to your HF called Princess auto, much smaller and fewer options but decent. Unfortunately it's an hour away from me, and their shipping isn't very fast. :33:
We’re about in the same boat. I get a lot of stuff from Amazon too. HF is an hour from me but I happened to down there and figured I better swing in and get it. Glad I did it was the last one on the shelf. The nearest real town is 10 miles and they don’t have store like that.
Being out in the country can be an inconvenience, but I gladly accept it as opposed to living in town.