Page 1 of 1

These types of pulleys question.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:40 pm
by propane1
How do you get them apart to get the pulley off? :106: I’ve seen these before at times. But have never worked with them. Are they original to this deck? And this deck goes on this tractor. I believe the deck is original to this tractor. 1975.
Thanks for any help. :worship:

Noel

Re: These types of pulleys question.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:16 pm
by Spike188
image.png
This is a QD style pulley and is very straight forward but here are my three points of advice based on experience.
-Clean the push holes with a tap, the treads will have dirt in them and the bolt will jam before bottoming.
-Do not use an impact wrench when driving the bolts in for hub removal. Use and end wrench to feel torque and movement. Do the bolts in even torque.
-Do not over torque the bolt nearest the bushing split. This is the weakest part of the flange on the bushing. The flange can be broken off of the bushing. Give even pressure to both pusher bolts then tap the sheave lightly, torque some more if needed. Once sheave has dropped away from bushing insert your favorite screwdriver in the hub split to open the bushing slightly. The hub should slide easily off the shaft.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWetOouz09M[/youtube]
image.png
This one can be a bit harder. A bearing separator is my preferred method on a stubborn pulley.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRiMIorP-oQ[/youtube]

Others may have methods they use.

Hope this helps.

Spike.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:39 pm
by propane1
Thanks spike. I don’t see any thread on the other two holes. But could be filled with dirt. And I wondered that. About taking the two bolts out and putting them in the other holes. But like I say, didn’t see any threads. And the pictures of these pulleys I looked at on Internet didn’t have any threads in those holes either.
I’ll get another look at it tomorrow. Thanks.

Noel.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:12 am
by propane1
Well I got it off. Cleaned out the other holes and put a tap through to clean it up. Took a little fighten to get it off. Any way give me a better look at things. Weird kind of a pulley.

Thanks fellas. Learn some thing every day. I’ll be some smart some day, but then to old to do anything. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:41 am
by DavidBarkey
Somebody has some welding to do .

Dave

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:03 pm
by propane1
Hehe. A lot of welding.

Noel

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:38 am
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:03 pm Hehe. A lot of welding.

Noel
If you were closer I would just give you a deck . I have 3 extras

Dave

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:11 am
by propane1
Thanks for the offer Dave.

Noel

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:22 am
by propane1
Well, the deck is sorta fixed up so it’s useable. Hopefully. It really needs that whole section replaced. Which means getting all the parts out of there, cutting out all the old metal or making a piece to set over the top. Weld it in, then cut and drill all the holes to put it back together. A good metal worker could do that. I may or may not be able to do that. And still have it cut as good as it did last year. And I don’t have some of the tools to do it. And my welding is so, so. But maybe next winter I’ll try it. Have to start January 2/23 and not wait till April to start at it. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
And I’m not showing any pictures of the sloppy repair I did to it. Please don’t ask :giggle:
It would be better to find a good deck, but quite a job to find one here in PEI.

Have a good day gentlemen and have a great weekend.

Noel

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:38 am
by Eugen
Noel, I have at least 2 spare deck housings in ok shape, too bad you're not closer. :cheers:

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:16 am
by propane1
Thanks for the offer Eugen.

Noel