Page 1 of 1

Tire bead breaking tool

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:00 pm
by propane1
I use the truck and a piece of hardwood most of the time. Put wheel on ground, set hardwood block I on tire as close as can to edge of wheel, drive truck up on hardwood. Works not bad. But I devised this up a while ago. Works good too. Lawn mower blade, cut off a bit and a pry bar. One push per side on this set of tires. 8” rims. Got three 6” rims and tires to do yet. Will see how that goes. Hehe.

Noel

Re: Tire bead breaking tool

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:30 pm
by propane1
6” rims and tires done. One push per side. Granted none were stuck very bad.
Need these 6 and 8 inch tires for the 1971 MF 7.

Noel

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:40 pm
by Eugen
That's a great idea, and I have a bunch of old blades. Next time I need to break a bead I'll try your method Noel! :cheers:

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:57 pm
by Harry
I recently had to break the bead on one of the front tires of my 444 winter project. I just put in on my 20 HF hydraulic press and jacked it down till it broke the bead. I believe it was the original tire and it broke with a struggle, but the press made it easier. My buddy who has a mower repair business showed me his vintage bead breaking tool. I think I'll borrow it to copy it. It looked very simple to make and easy to use. I'll post a pick when I do.

Keep the Peace :cop:
Harry

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:25 pm
by Eugen
Harry wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:57 pm I recently had to break the bead on one of the front tires of my 444 winter project. I just put in on my 20 HF hydraulic press and jacked it down till it broke the bead. I believe it was the original tire and it broke with a struggle, but the press made it easier. My buddy who has a mower repair business showed me his vintage bead breaking tool. I think I'll borrow it to copy it. It looked very simple to make and easy to use. I'll post a pick when I do.

Keep the Peace :cop:
Harry
Would really like to see that Harry! :cheers:

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 am
by THEOTHERHALF
Hello Harry, I wanted to find this post, this colt, case, Ingersoll, site is really helpful, going to try and use these ideals today on a very stubburn rim, thanks for the pictures, Kyle

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:58 am
by RoamingGnome
Some Great Ideas for breaking the bead on little tires - I love this forum for stuff like this... :cheers:

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:53 pm
by mendonsy
I have done a few rims using a Bessey style clamp to roll the bead away from the rim and a nail bar to force the bead off of the rim. It's hardly professional equipment but it works. A ratchet strap and the air compressor will work to pop the bead back into place.