Pressure washer sandblaster kit

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Jancoe United States of America

Pressure washer sandblaster kit

Post by Jancoe »

I wondering if any of you guys have bought a sandblaster kit for your pressure washer? I've seen some YouTubes of them and I think I'd like to give it a try. I picked up a 16' 10k flatbed trailer back in November and would like to blast and paint it. I do have a sandblaster pressure pot but I don't feel like dealing with pulling all the equipment out to do it and dealing with the dust. I have a 4000 psi washer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Pressure washer sandblaster kit

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:24 pm I wondering if any of you guys have bought a sandblaster kit for your pressure washer? I've seen some YouTubes of them and I think I'd like to give it a try. I picked up a 16' 10k flatbed trailer back in November and would like to blast and paint it. I do have a sandblaster pressure pot but I don't feel like dealing with pulling all the equipment out to do it and dealing with the dust. I have a 4000 psi washer.

I have one of them , They do work great but have a few problems that can be over come . As you all know that moister and sand blasters don't mix well . The high pressure water siphons the sand out and throws it at the material harder than air and cools at the same time . Thats the up side . But once you get going you can not stop ! The water will drip back down the mix with the sand and clog up the works . The fix is to feed the pressure washer blaster with a pressure pot fed with low pressure to keep air and sand flowing at all times . Then it works amazing . No dust , no warpage , fast removal . And if you have a soap feeder you can finish with Krud Kutter for rust and prime it while wet to keep steel from rusting .

Hope this helps .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I've always wanted to get one but never got around to it. Not sure my 3000 psi pressure washer is good enough for this either.

Thanks for the good tips @DavidBarkey
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Hmm. I don't think my pressure pot would work. The top fill does not screw on my pot. It is just spring loaded plate and uses the air to close it. I actually sold my sullair 185 compressor almost 2 years ago. It just sat more than I used it. That 4 cyl gm engine with 185cfm. Wow. It's hard for me to compare what that rotary compressor with the pot would do for the time spent vs a pressure washer w/ sand. Why did I sell that? LolImage

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:22 pm Hmm. I don't think my pressure pot would work. The top fill does not screw on my pot. It is just spring loaded plate and uses the air to close it. I actually sold my sullair 185 compressor almost 2 years ago. It just sat more than I used it. That 4 cyl gm engine with 185cfm. Wow. It's hard for me to compare what that rotary compressor with the pot would do for the time spent vs a pressure washer w/ sand. Why did I sell that? LolImage

Put under pressure to hold it in place and tack a small washer to the plug . Then you can use a spring and rod across the top to keep it closed .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Doublet United States of America

Post by Doublet »

I have one of them , They do work great but have a few problems that can be over come . As you all know that moister and sand blasters don't mix well . The high pressure water siphons the sand out and throws it at the material harder than air and cools at the same time . Thats the up side . But once you get going you can not stop ! The water will drip back down the mix with the sand and clog up the works . The fix is to feed the pressure washer blaster with a pressure pot fed with low pressure to keep air and sand flowing at all times . Then it works amazing . No dust , no warpage , fast removal . And if you have a soap feeder you can finish with Krud Kutter for rust and prime it while wet to keep steel from rusting .

Hope this helps .

Dave

@DavidBarkey
Do you have any photographs of how you set it up? I bought a pressure pot (larger) one from Harbor Freight and was very dis- satisfied with the result it produced. I ended up cutting the nipple out of the bottom of it and replacing it with a larger diameter fitting. 3/4 if I remember correctly. Anyway made the whole bottom of it larger. Valves and all. It still did not work well enough to make me happy. Had thought about combining it with a pressure washer but just haven't done it yet.

Right before I started having so many health related problems i build a 10 by 15 shed with a concrete floor in it to house the sandblaster a sort of blasting area and started building a powder coat oven in the other end of it. Maybe if health allows this summer I can get started back to working on it. Will post pictures sometime, when the weather is a little better and I feel like get out more.

Hope everyone is staying warm and having a good day!

Later

Doublet (Terry)
"It is all about the history of the tractors. "One tractor at a time"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Doublet wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:02 am I have one of them , They do work great but have a few problems that can be over come . As you all know that moister and sand blasters don't mix well . The high pressure water siphons the sand out and throws it at the material harder than air and cools at the same time . Thats the up side . But once you get going you can not stop ! The water will drip back down the mix with the sand and clog up the works . The fix is to feed the pressure washer blaster with a pressure pot fed with low pressure to keep air and sand flowing at all times . Then it works amazing . No dust , no warpage , fast removal . And if you have a soap feeder you can finish with Krud Kutter for rust and prime it while wet to keep steel from rusting .

Hope this helps .

Dave

@DavidBarkey
Do you have any photographs of how you set it up? I bought a pressure pot (larger) one from Harbor Freight and was very dis- satisfied with the result it produced. I ended up cutting the nipple out of the bottom of it and replacing it with a larger diameter fitting. 3/4 if I remember correctly. Anyway made the whole bottom of it larger. Valves and all. It still did not work well enough to make me happy. Had thought about combining it with a pressure washer but just haven't done it yet.

Right before I started having so many health related problems i build a 10 by 15 shed with a concrete floor in it to house the sandblaster a sort of blasting area and started building a powder coat oven in the other end of it. Maybe if health allows this summer I can get started back to working on it. Will post pictures sometime, when the weather is a little better and I feel like get out more.

Hope everyone is staying warm and having a good day!

Later

Doublet (Terry)
I don't Terry but I will dig it out later and take some pics for you guys.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Standard pressure pot sand blaster with wand removed for water sand  blasting
Standard pressure pot sand blaster with wand removed for water sand blasting
siphon hose for water blaster hooks to bottom of tank like so instead of bucket/bag of sand
siphon hose for water blaster hooks to bottom of tank like so instead of bucket/bag of sand
Brass piece attaches to the pressure washer wand
Brass piece attaches to the pressure washer wand
You don't need the same volume of air from compressor as it is just there to keep the feed going . Each system / sand type / are going to be different so you will need to play with pressures and volumes .
I start with getting pressure washer running, add the blaster tip, start the air to clear the adapter , then start sand flowing . Now blast .

Make sure you have a grinders face shield on , keep bottle of water around to rinse the shield off (do not wipe).
Cover the top of the pressure pot with something to keep it dry for refilling .

Hope this helps .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Always an ace up your sleeve Dave! Thanks for sharing. This is something that I want to copy one day when I get showered with some more $$ :spin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: