Correct Piston..Finally!

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Correct Piston..Finally!

Post by DavidBarkey »

Vivala446 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:09 pm I cleaned the plugs. They spark well enough to fire I’d think from a visual test. Sprayed the points off as best I could with brake cleaner— very hard to access. Shot starter fluid right into the cylinders. Still no fire. To change points or condenser I’ll have to pull the hydraulic again— which would be the third time I’ve done it. I have compression and I have spark but no fire. I can’t figure it. If the points and condenser was bad it wouldn’t fire at all
How much compression ?
What is the voltage at the coil ?
A "leaky" condenser can cause a weak spark .
Oil on the points contacts can also cause the coil to not fully charge and collapse (fire) same as a leaky condenser.
Did you use something to clean between points contacts ?

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Vivala446 United States of America

Post by Vivala446 »

I plan to do all that tomorrow. The points are very hard to get to will require some dissembley. From what I could see there was a lot of oily crud in the points box though

Post by Vivala446 »

Well, I got the points out, cleaned and filed them (only very minor putting). Cleaned the box. Hooked up a new test condenser. And then…. When I was going to reattach the points I dropped the nut. I don’t know if it went on the ground or down into the frame of the tractor but it’s gone and didn’t have another one. With everything we have going on today it’ll be another week before I can continue this journey
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

We will be here and waiting for your update. Jumpins I hate that when I drop something like that. Light and a magnet might help you find it.

Noel
THEOTHERHALF United States of America

Post by THEOTHERHALF »

really curious of voltage at coil and if lead wire is on proper hook up to coil, i think it should be on neg. side guess i could be mistaken though,can anyone verify? Kyle

Post by Vivala446 »

Managed to get a nut and put it all back together. No spark at all now. Maybe the plunger isn’t working right after I removed the points case. Is there a right or wrong way to reinstall it?
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Any way to get a light and mirror in there to see if any thing is moving while cranking. ? Points maybe not set ? Make sure your condenser is grounded well.

Noel

Post by Vivala446 »

Condenser was grounded. Not much way to see if things are working correctly. Tried turning it by hand to see if I could but not much luck
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Would not be the first time someone reinstalling the points cover pinched the points wire enough to break through the insulation and ground it out, or even got the wire end twisted a bit and grounded to the side of the box. Or found a pre existing rub through on the wire insulation.

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by Vivala446 »

I’m going to check everything again. Is it possible the test condenser I got (it’s for a car) is so wrong it just plain won’t work?