Correct Piston..Finally!

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Vivala446 United States of America

Correct Piston..Finally!

Post by Vivala446 »

I finally managed to get the correct piston ordered for the B43M. Measured everything to make sure it was correct. Hopefully this weekend (weather permitting) I will be able to finally get the pistons replaced with the correct ones and get everything going. The good thing it was it only took me about an hour to get everything tore down this time since I knew what I was doing this time. Once I get it fired back up my next project will be to replace the shim adjust clutch with the EZ adjust. I might get it all wrapped up before the grass starts to grow. :creeper:
Eugen Canada

Re: Correct Piston..Finally!

Post by Eugen »

That's good. New rings too I hope! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Sounds good. Good luck with it. Let us know how it’s doing once working.

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

We're all pulling for you, we want that thing to run just as bad as you. :highfive: If you were liking your tractor before, you are going to love it with that Onan running on both cylinders. :thumbsup:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by Vivala446 »

Well, I got the pistons in and it went smoother than I thought it would. But, the day I did it it was so cold and windy here (I don't have an enclosed shop) that once I had the oil pan back on I just sat the engine back on the frame and called it done. It's supposed the be warm and sunny this weekend so hopefully I will have some positive updates in the near future. :creeper:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Vivala446 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:10 pm Well, I got the pistons in and it went smoother than I thought it would. But, the day I did it it was so cold and windy here (I don't have an enclosed shop) that once I had the oil pan back on I just sat the engine back on the frame and called it done. It's supposed the be warm and sunny this weekend so hopefully I will have some positive updates in the near future. :creeper:
:thumbsup:
Hopefully Santa will bring some you guys a nice warm shop as an early Xmas gift next fall .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Vivala446 »

My dream would be to have an attached garage big enough for both cars, the mower, tools, a work bench, and some storage but we'll see...

Post by Vivala446 »

Got everything put back together and went to see if the engine would at least turn over. When I tried to hook up the battery it sparked so bad I couldn’t even hook up the second terminal. I’ve never had that happen before. Double checked my wiring connections, everything seemed correct and tight.

The only thing is I put on a new key switch that is a 5 prong instead of a 4. Is it possible that’s the cause?
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Vivala446 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:10 pm Got everything put back together and went to see if the engine would at least turn over. When I tried to hook up the battery it sparked so bad I couldn’t even hook up the second terminal. I’ve never had that happen before. Double checked my wiring connections, everything seemed correct and tight.

The only thing is I put on a new key switch that is a 5 prong instead of a 4. Is it possible that’s the cause?
That would be where I would start as that's what was changed, make sure everything is right there and then work out from there. Make sure nothing got crossed up during reassembly. Sure seems like something is grounding out too pull like that.
:highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

@Vivala446

https://manuals.ccigt.com/PartsManuals/ ... marked.pdf page 59 is a wiring diagram for a 4 pole switch. B=battery, S=starter, I = ignition, L=lights. A 5 pole would have terminal marked Acc=Accessory.

Sparking indicates a short to ground. It there a pinched wire somewhere? The armature wires route between the flywheel and block and probably up to the coil. That is a place where shorts occur. Light wires are another source of shorts. If the new switch is connected incorrectly then a system wiring short would show up when connecting the battery cables. Also check that battery connections are correct polarity.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH