Page 1 of 1

shop heat

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:39 am
by DavidBarkey
Just curious, how you guys heat your shop if at all or needed in winter ?
I am fortunate to have natural gas to our rural property . But what does everyone else do ?

Dave

Re: shop heat

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:56 am
by propane1
Wood stove for day, burn about 2 cords a year, propane furnace at night. Set at 48 F. A lot of days it’s 50-54 when I go in in the morning. So furnace didn’t kick in. Depends of course how cold it is out. Normally put two or three sticks in the wood stove when I go in the house at the end of the day. Keeps the propane off longer.

Noel

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:10 pm
by Timj
None of the old farm buildings at home are heated or insulated. My garage is not heated either, but being attached to the house, it doesn't get much below freezing in there. Other than a quick little fix I don't do much work in the garage.
My shop has natural gas heat, anything needing more attention gets hauled there. I keep it about 50° in there. It's not the most convenient for working on my stuff, being 7 miles from home I can't just sneak out for a hour or two after supper.
It's for sale so if it sells I'll build a new, smaller shop at home. Then I'll be able to walk to work. :cool:

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:22 pm
by Eugen
Fingers crossed Tim! :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:42 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:22 pm Fingers crossed Tim! :thumbsup:
Thanks, if it sells, my yard and sheds at home will look like Spike's for a while. :D

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:56 pm
by Harry
I have a whole house propane furnace in the shop with some duct work and four registers. I keep it around 45 degrees F in there and during the day I fire up the wood furnace and it gets toasty in there. The other day it was eighty degrees F in there with the wood furnace. I have a house squirrel cage blower system built into the furnace. I've burned five face cords of wood so far this year, but I'm out there almost every day.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:56 pm
by Harry
I have a whole house propane furnace in the shop with some duct work and four registers. I keep it around 45 degrees F in there and during the day I fire up the wood furnace and it gets toasty in there. The other day it was eighty degrees F in there with the wood furnace. I have a house squirrel cage blower system built into the furnace. I've burned five face cords of wood so far this year, but I'm out there almost every day.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:21 pm
by Timj
Harry wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:56 pm I have a whole house propane furnace in the shop with some duct work and four registers. I keep it around 45 degrees F in there and during the day I fire up the wood furnace and it gets toasty in there. The other day it was eighty degrees F in there with the wood furnace. I have a house squirrel cage blower system built into the furnace. I've burned five face cords of wood so far this year, but I'm out there almost every day.

Keep the Peace
Harry
80° holy moly. :)) I'd be taking a nap. :sleep: be honest Harry, do you have a hammock in there. :rofl:
:cheers:

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:59 pm
by DavidBarkey
Neat setup Harry . Did you build that ? Ya I would be napping too.

Dave

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:09 pm
by propane1
My garage gets to 75-80 F some days. That’s why I don’t do much some days. Hehe. But then if it’s 60-75 I don’t do much some days ! Hehe. Below 60, forget it.

Noel

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:24 pm
by Timj
I'm use to being out in the cold so 50 feels pretty good. Only time I turn it up is if I'm painting. Plus 60' x 80' with 15' ceilings burns a little gas.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:50 pm
by propane1
Burns a lot of gas. Hehe. Big building Timj. I worked outside most of my life. Can’t handle the cold any more.

Noel

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:54 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:50 pm Burns a lot of gas. Hehe. Big building Timj. I worked outside most of my life. Can’t handle the cold any more.

Noel
Ya can't take the cold either .

Dave

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:57 pm
by DavidBarkey
Timj wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:24 pm I'm use to being out in the cold so 50 feels pretty good. Only time I turn it up is if I'm painting. Plus 60' x 80' with 15' ceilings burns a little gas.
wow that a big space . Mine is bottom floor of a converted house barn . 24' x 32' . But it is well insulated and water power and heat . :giggle:

Dave

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:30 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:54 pm
Propane57 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:50 pm Burns a lot of gas. Hehe. Big building Timj. I worked outside most of my life. Can’t handle the cold any more.

Noel

Dave
Nope. Outside workin on propane lines and installing tanks and cylinders. Plus installing appliances. Plus delivering propane. I’m not doing that again. Plus on call. Middle of the night out. Jumpins.

Noel

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:37 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:57 pm
Timj wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:24 pm I'm use to being out in the cold so 50 feels pretty good. Only time I turn it up is if I'm painting. Plus 60' x 80' with 15' ceilings burns a little gas.
wow that a big space . Mine is bottom floor of a converted house barn . 24' x 32' . But it is well insulated and water power and heat . :giggle:

Dave
Mine is 24X28 feet. Power and heat. No water. 8 foot ceiling. No room for hoist. :(

Noel

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:54 pm
by Harry
Yes, that's too hot to work in! If I load it up all the way and let it burn it throws out a lot of heat. Sometimes I open up the big door just to cool it down a bit. I like it around 60 to 65 to be comfortable working. I did build it and here is a link to the thread on the original site. https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... ost-472402

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:47 pm
by Timj
Propane57 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:30 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:54 pm

Noel

Dave
Nope. Outside workin on propane lines and installing tanks and cylinders. Plus installing appliances. Plus delivering propane. I’m not doing that again. Plus on call. Middle of the night out. Jumpins.

Noel
You know exactly how it is Noel, always have to be out in the worst conditions.
I still take the cold, but like it less every winter. I'll drill down to around 0°F. Two years ago we pulled and changed out a pump, it was -28°F when we finished. The guy had an open loop ground water heat pump with no backup, so no water no heat.

My shop is too big, time to downsize and slow down a little.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:14 am
by propane1
1C here this morning. 12C or 54F. In the garage. So no propane furnace run last nite. Woo hoo.

Noel

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:14 am
by Doublet
Diesel Space heater.

Main shop building not very large but well insulated. The main part of it is an old converted bird house. It is about 16 feet wide and 60 feet long. It has enclosed lean to sheds on one side of it, that are about 12 feet wide and run almost the entire length of main building.

When it is About 20 or 30 degrees outside the space heater after running about 20 minutes will maintain temp of about 65 degree F without any problems. The tank of 5-7 gallon of fuel will normally run 10-12 hours if you needed it to.

Works well for me.

Doublet (Terry)

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:12 am
by Eugen
Maybe something like this

https://vevor.ca/products/8kw-12v-diese ... 7a9b&_ss=r

I got the ad in an email because once I bought something from Vevor.

My "shop" is a shed 8x12 feet, but it's really just a place to keep some tools. No room to work on anything but the smallest things, and not heated. I work on tractors in the tent or outside. As long as it doesn't rain or is so cold that my fingers freeze in a few minutes, I'm pretty good. Sometimes I close my eyes and day dream how it would be to have a shop large enough to fit a garden tractor in the middle, and tools around the walls. Haha, wake up Eugen!!! :rofl:

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:50 pm
by Spike188
@timj made a comment about my storage shed. I have had use of a commercial property on and off between tenant rollover. The property sold last week so everything there was brought home in December, some stored in a trailer, 10 x 10 shed, garage, and outdoors.

I have not had a shop for 20 years of industrial repair business and slowly pushed my wife out of our 20X24 attached garage. It is mostly used to store tools in during the winter. Working with any medium that create odors that will find their way into the house is a no go. Welding, cutting, and parts washing is reserved for outdoors, where heating is beyond my means.

Building a shop is in the planning stage. Lot profile, engineering, cost, size, location on lot, zoning variances and building permits are the first steps in that direction.

Some of the pointers that are being gleaned from previous post are,
building height, and size equal larger heating needs
car hoist height and installation requirements
water
solar panels, heat pump, wood, in floor heat.
power needs, 3 phase equipment is readily available on mills and lathes. Generator, phase converter, or single phase.
last but not least, age and health. (that last one may need a "w" added to it)

Those are just some of the items being looked at alongside building construction, Steel frame, Wood frame, or block. I am calling it my last toybox then who knows what will happen. The neighbors place sold a couple of years ago overpriced because to buyers were after the shop. The house was just a women cave. :))

Spike

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:00 pm
by Eugen
We will all cheer for you @Spike188 if and when you go for it!!! :cheers:

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:35 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:14 am 1C here this morning. 12C or 54F. In the garage. So no propane furnace run last nite. Woo hoo.

Noel
3C here and 15C in the shop :giggle:
:cheers: :drink:

Dave

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:41 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:12 am Maybe something like this

My "shop" is a shed 8x12 feet, but it's really just a place to keep some tools. No room to work on anything but the smallest things, and not heated. I work on tractors in the tent or outside. As long as it doesn't rain or is so cold that my fingers freeze in a few minutes, I'm pretty good. Sometimes I close my eyes and day dream how it would be to have a shop large enough to fit a garden tractor in the middle, and tools around the walls. Haha, wake up Eugen!!! :rofl:
Stop making babies , and you can have a shop . Those things are money pits . I know I had 4 and they made more and out the door the $$$$ flowed . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dave

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:45 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:00 pm We will all cheer for you @Spike188 if and when you go for it!!! :cheers:
Second that .

Dave

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:51 pm
by Timj
Spike188 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:50 pm @timj made a comment about my storage shed. I have had use of a commercial property on and off between tenant rollover. The property sold last week so everything there was brought home in December, some stored in a trailer, 10 x 10 shed, garage, and outdoors.

I have not had a shop for 20 years of industrial repair business and slowly pushed my wife out of our 20X24 attached garage. It is mostly used to store tools in during the winter. Working with any medium that create odors that will find their way into the house is a no go. Welding, cutting, and parts washing is reserved for outdoors, where heating is beyond my means.

Building a shop is in the planning stage. Lot profile, engineering, cost, size, location on lot, zoning variances and building permits are the first steps in that direction.

Some of the pointers that are being gleaned from previous post are,
building height, and size equal larger heating needs
car hoist height and installation requirements
water
solar panels, heat pump, wood, in floor heat.
power needs, 3 phase equipment is readily available on mills and lathes. Generator, phase converter, or single phase.
last but not least, age and health. (that last one may need a "w" added to it)

Those are just some of the items being looked at alongside building construction, Steel frame, Wood frame, or block. I am calling it my last toybox then who knows what will happen. The neighbors place sold a couple of years ago overpriced because to buyers were after the shop. The house was just a women cave. :))

Spike
Spike, I remembered the pics you posted of the pile of stuff in the yard, and thought that's where I'm headed. I have space for stuff in some of my old farm buildings but not trucks. I can't build till the other is sold. Then try to get on contractors schedule. Unfortunately not a good time to build with high prices and material shortages. :O
Also, you know the more space you have, the more stuff you accumulate. Oh boy am I finding that out. :dizzy:

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:53 pm
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:12 am Maybe something like this

I have been debating $$ on making my GT (with cab) dual fuel with one of those to heat the cab ;) BUT I have had mixed luck with some of that Chicrap stuff.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:45 pm
by Timj
So here I am, a year later, My big shop in town sold :69: and all the stuff got moved home and packed into the old farm buildings. Nothing is insulated and they are not very tight.

I picked up this propane heater last week, was looking at a Mr. Heater brand one but ran across this one on closeout and saved $40 bucks. :thumbsup: tried it out today and think it will make things tolerable if I need to work on something in the cold and can move it around.
KIMG0590.JPG

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 pm
by propane1
Make sure you got ventilation Tim.

Noel

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:51 pm
by Timj
propane1 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 pm Make sure you got ventilation Tim.

Noel
Oh, don't worry about venting, it's pine board siding, gaps between every board. And sliding doors. :highfive:

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:34 am
by Eugen
Timj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:45 pm So here I am, a year later, My big shop in town sold :69: and all the stuff got moved home and packed into the old farm buildings. Nothing is insulated and they are not very tight.

I picked up this propane heater last week, was looking at a Mr. Heater brand one but ran across this one on closeout and saved $40 bucks. :thumbsup: tried it out today and think it will make things tolerable if I need to work on something in the cold and can move it around.
KIMG0590.JPG
The radiant heat these put out is very neat, makes for a better solution when you need warmth concentrated in a small area. I use an electric dish sometimes. But have been thinking about one of these propane heaters myself. Any idea how long the tank lasts?

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:07 am
by propane1
About 24,000 btu’s in a litre of propane. About 18 litres of propane in one of those 20 bbq propane cylinder. Sooo, depending on the amount of btu’s the heater burns, let’s say 24,000 per hour, you’ll get about 18 hour of use out of one of those 20 lb bbq cylinders. But, depending on how cold the temperature is, you may not get 18 hours, could be less, or maybe reduce heat out put, or both Eugen.

There now a propane ramble for you. I have not had a ramble in a while. :D

Noel

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:25 am
by Timj
This one is 30-40,000btu, 10-14hrs run time on 20lb.
The radiant is good for me for now. Not truly trying to heat the space,. Just trying to make it a little bit more comfortable if I need to get something done. Just trying it out for a few minutes yesterday I would have been good without gloves, it was 15°f. And I can take it out on the job if I have to.
:geek: Tim

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:41 am
by Harry
I can remember before the pole barn was built, I worked in my attached garage. Mostly on vehicles that broke and many times that happens in Winter. I used a little Kerosene heater. It was better than nothing, just enough to warm your hands up using ice cold tools. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:10 am
by Eugen
Thanks guys, this makes sense. For portable heat when working on something the propane heater seems like a great solution. Radiant heat is definitely the way to go when working on something out there in the cold, because you feel the heat instantly and strong near the heater, whereas the hot air like the diesel heater I just got is good as an enclosed space heater, when you can run it for a longer time and allow it to heat up the area.