shop heat

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Eugen Canada

Re: shop heat

Post by Eugen »

Maybe something like this

https://vevor.ca/products/8kw-12v-diese ... 7a9b&_ss=r

I got the ad in an email because once I bought something from Vevor.

My "shop" is a shed 8x12 feet, but it's really just a place to keep some tools. No room to work on anything but the smallest things, and not heated. I work on tractors in the tent or outside. As long as it doesn't rain or is so cold that my fingers freeze in a few minutes, I'm pretty good. Sometimes I close my eyes and day dream how it would be to have a shop large enough to fit a garden tractor in the middle, and tools around the walls. Haha, wake up Eugen!!! :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

@timj made a comment about my storage shed. I have had use of a commercial property on and off between tenant rollover. The property sold last week so everything there was brought home in December, some stored in a trailer, 10 x 10 shed, garage, and outdoors.

I have not had a shop for 20 years of industrial repair business and slowly pushed my wife out of our 20X24 attached garage. It is mostly used to store tools in during the winter. Working with any medium that create odors that will find their way into the house is a no go. Welding, cutting, and parts washing is reserved for outdoors, where heating is beyond my means.

Building a shop is in the planning stage. Lot profile, engineering, cost, size, location on lot, zoning variances and building permits are the first steps in that direction.

Some of the pointers that are being gleaned from previous post are,
building height, and size equal larger heating needs
car hoist height and installation requirements
water
solar panels, heat pump, wood, in floor heat.
power needs, 3 phase equipment is readily available on mills and lathes. Generator, phase converter, or single phase.
last but not least, age and health. (that last one may need a "w" added to it)

Those are just some of the items being looked at alongside building construction, Steel frame, Wood frame, or block. I am calling it my last toybox then who knows what will happen. The neighbors place sold a couple of years ago overpriced because to buyers were after the shop. The house was just a women cave. :))

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We will all cheer for you @Spike188 if and when you go for it!!! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:14 am 1C here this morning. 12C or 54F. In the garage. So no propane furnace run last nite. Woo hoo.

Noel
3C here and 15C in the shop :giggle:
:cheers: :drink:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:12 am Maybe something like this

My "shop" is a shed 8x12 feet, but it's really just a place to keep some tools. No room to work on anything but the smallest things, and not heated. I work on tractors in the tent or outside. As long as it doesn't rain or is so cold that my fingers freeze in a few minutes, I'm pretty good. Sometimes I close my eyes and day dream how it would be to have a shop large enough to fit a garden tractor in the middle, and tools around the walls. Haha, wake up Eugen!!! :rofl:
Stop making babies , and you can have a shop . Those things are money pits . I know I had 4 and they made more and out the door the $$$$ flowed . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:00 pm We will all cheer for you @Spike188 if and when you go for it!!! :cheers:
Second that .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Spike188 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:50 pm @timj made a comment about my storage shed. I have had use of a commercial property on and off between tenant rollover. The property sold last week so everything there was brought home in December, some stored in a trailer, 10 x 10 shed, garage, and outdoors.

I have not had a shop for 20 years of industrial repair business and slowly pushed my wife out of our 20X24 attached garage. It is mostly used to store tools in during the winter. Working with any medium that create odors that will find their way into the house is a no go. Welding, cutting, and parts washing is reserved for outdoors, where heating is beyond my means.

Building a shop is in the planning stage. Lot profile, engineering, cost, size, location on lot, zoning variances and building permits are the first steps in that direction.

Some of the pointers that are being gleaned from previous post are,
building height, and size equal larger heating needs
car hoist height and installation requirements
water
solar panels, heat pump, wood, in floor heat.
power needs, 3 phase equipment is readily available on mills and lathes. Generator, phase converter, or single phase.
last but not least, age and health. (that last one may need a "w" added to it)

Those are just some of the items being looked at alongside building construction, Steel frame, Wood frame, or block. I am calling it my last toybox then who knows what will happen. The neighbors place sold a couple of years ago overpriced because to buyers were after the shop. The house was just a women cave. :))

Spike
Spike, I remembered the pics you posted of the pile of stuff in the yard, and thought that's where I'm headed. I have space for stuff in some of my old farm buildings but not trucks. I can't build till the other is sold. Then try to get on contractors schedule. Unfortunately not a good time to build with high prices and material shortages. :O
Also, you know the more space you have, the more stuff you accumulate. Oh boy am I finding that out. :dizzy:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:12 am Maybe something like this

I have been debating $$ on making my GT (with cab) dual fuel with one of those to heat the cab ;) BUT I have had mixed luck with some of that Chicrap stuff.

:cheers:
Gordy
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

So here I am, a year later, My big shop in town sold :69: and all the stuff got moved home and packed into the old farm buildings. Nothing is insulated and they are not very tight.

I picked up this propane heater last week, was looking at a Mr. Heater brand one but ran across this one on closeout and saved $40 bucks. :thumbsup: tried it out today and think it will make things tolerable if I need to work on something in the cold and can move it around.
KIMG0590.JPG
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Make sure you got ventilation Tim.

Noel