A when there are no tools for the job, make one.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Spike188 Canada

A when there are no tools for the job, make one.

Post by Spike188 »

A neighbors slab sawmill with a 42 hp Kubota engine began vibrating to the point of breaking motor mount bolts. The centrifugal clutch to the bandsaw drive was jiggly wiggly. It was broken.
20210311_080703.jpg

cluth hub broken.jpg
The flywheel stub shaft did not look much better around the key-way, the loaded edge of the key-way was missing. My rustolium repair is JB Weld. A new clutch assembly was ordered and it fit. Tolerances at the flywheel face of the shaft an new clutch were good but the extrema end of the shaft was more than a bit loose. After fitting the new clutch to the shaft, JB Weld was packed into the damaged key-way before diving the key into place. The key forced the epoxy into all of the voids and the good fit at the flywheel centered the clutch on the shaft. After letting things set up for 24 hours the neighbor put the belts back on. The he called at 7:30 pm and 3 more times before the evening was over. The clutch would not freewheel. I had him remove the clutch pack, put a blade on, and cut a 10" slab, hoping the epoxy bond would break loose. On the 3rd call I said let me sleep on it. Maybe a fine diamond wire saw might cut away the bond. But I had now vision of were or how the bonding happened. At noon I went to inspect the clutch and could not find the source of epoxy bonding the pulley hub to the shaft. Cutting or scraping was not going to be an option.
custom tool.jpg
Three pieces of scrap metal were welded together to the exact size of the clutch pack. An old 1 1/8 inch nut was welded to the center for leverage. A large ratchet strap was wrapped around the pulley and pulled tight to the mill frame creating a soft jaw wrench. The welded block was inserted in place of the clutch pack, then on the nut a wrench was placed and struck a dozen or more times with a 12 LB hammer. Striking continued until about 5 degrees of movement was detected.
cheater.jpg
When a 6' cheater on a breakover was applied to the welded block, more tension on the ratchet straps had to be applied to stop the pulley from turning. 3 complete turn of the shaft were made in both direction. The welded tool was removed from the clutch. The belts and blade were reinstalled minus the clutch pack. The intent was to plunge the blade into a log until the hub would freewheel and hopefully not over heat.

While the Kubota was idling at warm up the hub began screeching like a dying cat, slow quieted down, went silent, as the hub went into complete freewheel.
Finished.jpg
With the clutch pack back in place a test run was made. The neighbor was thrilled because there was no vibration in the motor. I felt the same because that was a $700.00 US centrifugal clutch epoxied onto a Kubota motor. I envisioned the cost come out of my pocket is it had to be cut off the shaft.

I love it when a good plan kind of comes together.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Eugen Canada

Re: A when there are no tools for the job, make one.

Post by Eugen »

A very creative solution, and you saved the day!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: